USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Chris and her bunny,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, BBD, Spoonman, 007, BigBlackDog, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Sunset over Gulf of Mexico, Clearwater Beach, Florida

Sunset%20Over%20the%20Gulf%20of%20Mexico,%20Clearwater,%20Florida.jpg

Yes!

You're as much a beach girl as our Sherry, Kat. And you live in a state that has one. You ought to move there. :)

I'm wondering how they got that angle for the photo though. Doesn't the Gulf coast of Florida face south or east? Might be just enough variances along the coast to give a body a western view though. Never been there. Want to go before I die.

South or West.

Florida_Political_Map_Kwh.png

You can see Clearwater just above Tampa Bay, center west side of the state.

You're right. I can see how that would provide a western view. Thanks. I picked that beach as one that would be fairly close to Sherry and WelfareQueen

Even as someone who doesn't like the beach, I've been to Clearwater beach a time or two. I might have stood on the spot that picture was taken for all I know. :p

Having a bad day. I cannot face painting because I can see no way forward from the stage it is at. I have worked on all the sunflowers, but I am stuck on the greenery behind them. I can't see how to paint it all in. I am thinking I will have to work on a small bit of it at a time, and not worry about finishing the whole picture.
I am almost tempted to go and get some beer and get out of my head, but I will not have had a drink for three years on the 13th of July so I guess I will have to hold on.

That's good advice you gave yourself. If you can't see the solution to the big problem, then work on a smaller piece of it. And surely, you won't let a painting be the reason you break your sobriety. That might be the worst reason of all the bad reasons you might settle on to do that.

Yus ! thanks, I survived the night without a drink. Then got up this morning at 6am and did some work on the problem. I am not sure if I can resolve it because the foliage behind the sunflowers is quite a challenge, at the moment all I have done is cover the white canvas with green, and try to give the impression of leaves. But it will need a lot more detail if it is going to look the part.
Aren't the leaves usually beneath the sunflowers? I remember fields of them when I lived in upstate New York, and they don't really have leaves behind them. Only below them. Is that why your background isn't looking quite right to you?
Congrats on slaying the beer dragon last night, btw. Well done.
sunflower_fields_2_by_aquavixie-d50ml6b.jpg

Having a bad day. I cannot face painting because I can see no way forward from the stage it is at. I have worked on all the sunflowers, but I am stuck on the greenery behind them. I can't see how to paint it all in. I am thinking I will have to work on a small bit of it at a time, and not worry about finishing the whole picture.
I am almost tempted to go and get some beer and get out of my head, but I will not have had a drink for three years on the 13th of July so I guess I will have to hold on.

That's good advice you gave yourself. If you can't see the solution to the big problem, then work on a smaller piece of it. And surely, you won't let a painting be the reason you break your sobriety. That might be the worst reason of all the bad reasons you might settle on to do that.

Yus ! thanks, I survived the night without a drink. Then got up this morning at 6am and did some work on the problem. I am not sure if I can resolve it because the foliage behind the sunflowers is quite a challenge, at the moment all I have done is cover the white canvas with green, and try to give the impression of leaves. But it will need a lot more detail if it is going to look the part.
Aren't the leaves usually beneath the sunflowers? I remember fields of them when I lived in upstate New York, and they don't really have leaves behind them. Only below them. Is that why your background isn't looking quite right to you?

By jove, I think she's got it!! Instead of leaves behind your sunflowers, put trees or mountains or blue skies, maybe with some clouds. And just put a bit of suggestion of green amongst the sunflowers as the photo shows.

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Chris and her bunny,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, BBD, Spoonman, 007, BigBlackDog, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Yes!

You're as much a beach girl as our Sherry, Kat. And you live in a state that has one. You ought to move there. :)

I'm wondering how they got that angle for the photo though. Doesn't the Gulf coast of Florida face south or east? Might be just enough variances along the coast to give a body a western view though. Never been there. Want to go before I die.

South or West.

Florida_Political_Map_Kwh.png

You can see Clearwater just above Tampa Bay, center west side of the state.

You're right. I can see how that would provide a western view. Thanks. I picked that beach as one that would be fairly close to Sherry and WelfareQueen

About 30 minutes down the road. :)

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Chris and her bunny,

Yes!

I love the Gulf so much. I love the white sand...the emerald waters. Some call it the Emerald Coast.
I have been going there all my life. I may well be living there in the near future.

Last edited:

Thanks for that picture, I will make use of it for reference. You can see the current state of my painting in the ' my paintings ' thread on the arts and crafts forum. I have photographed it as I am going along, because I thought the creative process might interest some people. And because I am more motivated to finish it successfully when failure would be a public humiliation.

By jove, I think she's got it!! Instead of leaves behind your sunflowers, put trees or mountains or blue skies, maybe with some clouds. And just put a bit of suggestion of green amongst the sunflowers as the photo shows.

I am going to put blue sky above the sunflowers, but there is still a lot of greenery to do.. See the latest photo.

Well, its 5am and I have been awake since 3.30am. At this point I decided to get up and have a cup of tea.
It is still too early to paint as the neighbours bedroom is below my kitchen, which I am using as a studio. I dare not start scraping on canvas at five in the morning but I might start at six am. It is daylight by then anyway and I prefer to paint by daylight not electric light.

Having looked at that photo I think the answer to my problem is,' more leaves'. I have a few leaves with spaces in between them that I did not know what to fill with. So the solution is to cram a load more bits of leaves into the gaps.

And we keep vigil for:

TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Chris and her bunny,

White Pines Forest State Park, IL

white_pines1-318x448.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Good morning all. I just realized I flat missed 007 and Spoonman and @BigBlackDog birthdays, all on July 6, but they are all away from USMB at this time and probably wouldn't have seen their birthday cakes. But hope they all had great days.

Last edited:
Sunday morning Daisy the Mutt and I were taking our walk in the park. It was a beautiful summer day. Not a cloud in the sky, a gentle breeze was blowing from the west. We did our three laps and got back into the car.

That's when I heard a loud CRACK! That was followed by a thump and another large CRACK! I looked in the rear view mirror and saw half a huge maple tree thud into the ground right above the water fountain! Not more than 25 seconds earlier, Daisy was lapping water from the dog dish provided by the park and I was taking a sip from the water fountain. Had we tarried, the both of us would be nothing more than a couple of greasy patches on the ground.

I've never seen anything like it. A large tree in full leaf split in two. And the falling limbs took out three arbor vitae beneath them. Right where the squirrels and chipmunks Daisy loves to chase live.

Was it a sign of impending danger? Was it providence that Daisy and I were finally back in the safety of the car? Or was it merely a coincidence?

Sunday morning Daisy the Mutt and I were taking our walk in the park. It was a beautiful summer day. Not a cloud in the sky, a gentle breeze was blowing from the west. We did our three laps and got back into the car.

That's when I heard a loud CRACK! That was followed by a thump and another large CRACK! I looked in the rear view mirror and saw half a huge maple tree thud into the ground right above the water fountain! Not more than 25 seconds earlier, Daisy was lapping water from the dog dish provided by the park and I was taking a sip from the water fountain. Had we tarried, the both of us would be nothing more than a couple of greasy patches on the ground.

I've never seen anything like it. A large tree in full leaf split in two. And the falling limbs took out three arbor vitae beneath them. Right where the squirrels and chipmunks Daisy loves to chase live.

Was it a sign of impending danger? Was it providence that Daisy and I were finally back in the safety of the car? Or was it merely a coincidence?

I prefer to believe you were blessed with a guardian angel at the time. It is such times that we are more aware of our own mortality but also how blessed we are.

I prefer to believe you were blessed with a guardian angel at the time. It is such times that we are more aware of our own mortality but also how blessed we are.
Well then thank God for a guardian angel! But I have to believe it was Daisy's angel as my angel might actually be on strike.

I have had an experience of being saved from disaster by subtle influence from the spirit world. I think they can plant ideas in your mind using telepathy, and intervene in situations which might have a bad outcome if they didn't.
I think the spirit world is ever present behind the scenes, and they often inspire people to do things.

Having looked at that photo I think the answer to my problem is,' more leaves'. I have a few leaves with spaces in between them that I did not know what to fill with. So the solution is to cram a load more bits of leaves into the gaps.
It will be YOUR vision, so awesome.

Forum List

Back