USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oh, and for what it's worth, those in the west, except maybe for those right on the coast, it will happen gradually enough folks will have time to evacuate and move east. Of course all these scenarios leaves the Wyoming Calderon intact so whatever/whoever is left would still have that to worry about. :)

Do not forget the theory that Yellowstone park will turn into a super volcano and destroy America.

Yes. That's what the Wyoming Calderon is. :) It won't destroy America but it could geographically change the west beyond recognition and affect our climate for centuries.
If the whole thing blew, it could be an extinction event. The good news seems to be it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

Lava pool beneath Yellowstone supervolcano twice as big as previously thought

You think? I think quite a bit of the planet easily survived the last time it erupted and I suspect it would again. Certainly those in several states in proximity would be severely impacted though. Those within several hundred miles within ground zero would be obliterated or might not survive.
The initial eruption would be catastrophic but (relatively) limited in area, that would not be the problem. Potentially that amount of ash and dust released into the atmosphere would blot out the sun and dramatically cool the earth for an extended period of time possibly triggering another ice age. Plant life would die followed by animal/human life. It would be a slow death for most.

You think? I think quite a bit of the planet survived the last time it erupted and I suspect it would again. Certainly those in several states in proximity would be severely impacted though. Those within several hundred miles of ground zero would be obliterated or might not survive. Far more dangerous to us all is a very large meteor hitting Earth. That would be an extinction event and I hope we have scientists and engineers working on it to prevent it happening to us again.
People talk about "Save the Planet", but the planet will always be fine. It's those little warm-blooded things crawling on it's surface who will not fair so well during a supervolcano eruption, impact event or other major calamity affecting the environment.

What If the Yellowstone Supervolcano Erupts?

Oh, and for what it's worth, those in the west, except maybe for those right on the coast, it will happen gradually enough folks will have time to evacuate and move east. Of course all these scenarios leaves the Wyoming Calderon intact so whatever/whoever is left would still have that to worry about. :)

Do not forget the theory that Yellowstone park will turn into a super volcano and destroy America.

Yes. That's what the Wyoming Calderon is. :) It won't destroy America but it could geographically change the west beyond recognition and affect our climate for centuries.
If the whole thing blew, it could be an extinction event. The good news seems to be it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

You think? I think quite a bit of the planet easily survived the last time it erupted and I suspect it would again. Certainly those in several states in proximity would be severely impacted though. Those within several hundred miles within ground zero would be obliterated or might not survive.
The initial eruption would be catastrophic but (relatively) limited in area, that would not be the problem. Potentially that amount of ash and dust released into the atmosphere would blot out the sun and dramatically cool the earth for an extended period of time possibly triggering another ice age. Plant life would die followed by animal/human life. It would be a slow death for most.

I have read those kinds of theories but while it would affect a great deal of the western United States and almost certainly would have an effect on the climate, I'm not seeing the apocolyptic

I have read those kinds of predictions, but reading up on it, I do believe it would have an effect on our climate, but not as apocalyptic an effect as all that. The USGS has put together a fairly good short one page summary of the history here:
USGS: Volcano Hazards Program YVO Yellowstone

and the misconceptions about it here:

This should be reassuring to even those folks who live in states closest to Wyoming.

Again large meteor strikes are far more likely to be globally catastrophic.

I have read those kinds of theories but while it would affect a great deal of the western United States and almost certainly would have an effect on the climate, I'm not seeing the apocolyptic

I have read those kinds of predictions, but reading up on it, I do believe it would have an effect on our climate, but not as apocalyptic an effect as all that. The USGS has put together a fairly good short one page summary of the history here:

and the misconceptions about it here:

This should be reassuring to even those folks who live in states closest to Wyoming.

Again large meteor strikes are far more likely to be globally catastrophic.
Here's the problem with that:

The epic volcano eruption that led to the ‘Year Without a Summer’

The same happened on a smaller scale with Mt St Helens. A Yellowstone caldera eruption has been predicted by some to be about a hundred times more powerful so the extinction event possibility exists of course it's only a possibility and based on some scientific knowledge combined with speculation.

Of course I'm talking worse case scenario however I believe an eruption of the Yellowstone caldera would be limited in scope and if there was a full eruption it would only affect the northern hemisphere.

After reading the LiveScience article I agree it wouldn't be an extinction event, but it would certainly kill a lot of people.

Well, a week since I've posted in the coffee shop. So far I am really enjoying the phrase "ex wife"
Court went well. Not quite as well as I had hoped, so I need to raise some cash.
Feeling depressed today. My little Maltese passed away a couple hours ago. I just finished with the shovel....

Oh Ernie. So sorry. I am happy one stressful chapter in your life is coming to a close--she has moved out yes? But I so wish there was some way to comfort you in the loss of your fur friend. I know so many of us know how hard that is and hurt with you.
She returned here from S Florida about the time she filed papers. I wasn't going to let her in, but since we were still married, the 4 cops that showed up convinced me that if I wanted to avoid chatting with a bail bondsman, I should allow her access.
She has 90 days to vacate, and I have 60 to pay her some cash, but I figure she will boogie as soon as I wave a check in her face.

As for my little furball, he is the second I've lost in 9 months. The last, will leave with the ex. Kind of sad, but also looking forward to being able to take off for a few days without arranging a dog sitter.

It was just raining here. The sun is gone, but it is still really humid out there.

Sometimes, it's more humid after it rains.
Where is here? Florida?

The funniest (and accurate) weather forecast I ever heard was a Spring morning in Tampa: "Today's forecast is sunny and hot with afternoon thundershowers through October".

Well, a week since I've posted in the coffee shop. So far I am really enjoying the phrase "ex wife"
Court went well. Not quite as well as I had hoped, so I need to raise some cash.
Feeling depressed today. My little Maltese passed away a couple hours ago. I just finished with the shovel....

Oh Ernie. So sorry. I am happy one stressful chapter in your life is coming to a close--she has moved out yes? But I so wish there was some way to comfort you in the loss of your fur friend. I know so many of us know how hard that is and hurt with you.
She returned here from S Florida about the time she filed papers. I wasn't going to let her in, but since we were still married, the 4 cops that showed up convinced me that if I wanted to avoid chatting with a bail bondsman, I should allow her access.
She has 90 days to vacate, and I have 60 to pay her some cash, but I figure she will boogie as soon as I wave a check in her face.

As for my little furball, he is the second I've lost in 9 months. The last, will leave with the ex. Kind of sad, but also looking forward to being able to take off for a few days without arranging a dog sitter.

:cheers2: That's me on the right.

It was just raining here. The sun is gone, but it is still really humid out there.

Sometimes, it's more humid after it rains.
Where is here? Florida?

The funniest (and accurate) weather forecast I ever heard was a Spring morning in Tampa: "Today's forecast is sunny and hot with afternoon thundershowers through October".

Massachusetts. :)

"If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute, it will change." (or something like that).

The first time I lived in Hawaii (early 80's) the Newscasts on the TV station did not even have a meteorologist on staff. The Sports dude would always say "Sunny with a slight chance of Mauka (toward the mountains) showers. They spent less than 30 seconds on weather...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back