USMB Coffee Shop IV

I love the Gulf so much. I love the white sand...the emerald waters. Some call it the Emerald Coast.
I have been going there all my life. I may well be living there in the near future.
They are beautiful beaches, but the Gulf Coast is too hot and muggy for me 9 months out of the year.

I lived in a little town called Milton, FL for 9 years next to NAS Whiting Field. The cost of living is low and there's no state income tax, but the climate is too humid for my tastes.

Yes Florida is great, that is why I live in Michigan. Waiting for Global Warming to bring the coast to me.

Good morning all. Woke up to another cloudless sky and anticipating of temps in the high 90's, flirting or at 100 degrees for the forseeable future. I am so ready for late autumn or even winter.
We're on our 17th or 18th day of consecutive triple digit heat, think it's supposed to hit 106 today or tomorrow.

It's been cool in Britain. I am having to wear a house coat, which I usually keep for the winter.

Chris seems to be having a similar situation in New England too. It really is a shame we can't ship you our excess heat so we all could be comfortable.

That was only the weekend. It's been hot the last few days. :) Not 100 degrees hot, but high 80s/low 90s hot.

Happy Thursday! :)

thursday_ducklings_kitten_dc1.jpg

It is soooo muggy here today! I just leave all my blinds and my windows shut and it stays pretty cool inside. I was going to lay in the sun for a little while today but it's way too hot and humid. I'll probably just stay in today where it's cool. Lol.

It is soooo muggy here today! I just leave all my blinds and my windows shut and it stays pretty cool inside. I was going to lay in the sun for a little while today but it's way too hot and humid. I'll probably just stay in today where it's cool. Lol.

Sending you better weather Friday.

My dad turned 80 earlier this month. I see he is seeking out siblings and old friends a lot lately. One of my customers is doing a very similar thing. Connecting with a shared history looks to be of growing importance.

Yes Florida is great, that is why I live in Michigan. Waiting for Global Warming to bring the coast to me.

Better chance of that for us than for you. I read a book once--I think the title was We are The Earthquake Generation--written by Jeffrey Goodman, scientist, who predicted an cataclysmic event that didn't include the Wyoming Calderon. He said it would be from the west to east with the North American shelf crumbling away until finally the whole unstable west would go into the sea and the new shoreland would be from central Kansas diagonally down through New Mexico taking most of our state with it. This map shows a similar shaded area that is speculated will go into the sea though Goodman had it much further inland into central Kansas and most of New Mexico. The lighter shaded area plus the darker shaded area on the map looks more like what he was predicting.

EC_Map.jpg

The shaded area from the Gulf to the Great Lakes comes from another theory based on geological evidence of an ancient seaway that could re-establish itself when the tetonic plates reach their maximum range of separation and start back to recreate the time when all land surface lwas one huge continent called Pangea if I remember correctly. I learned about this seaway from one of my disaster movies--"Category 10 - The Apocalypse" though in the movie they had the seaway running from North Dakota south through Texas and Houston to the gulf. I like that better as I wouldn't want the Great Lakes to become seawater.

Do I lie awake nights worrying about this stuff? No. But I used to speculate how neat it would be to have ocean front property where we lived in Kansas.

Oh, and for what it's worth, those in the west, except maybe for those right on the coast, it will happen gradually enough folks will have time to evacuate and move east. Of course all these scenarios leaves the Wyoming Calderon intact so whatever/whoever is left would still have that to worry about. :)

Oh, and for what it's worth, those in the west, except maybe for those right on the coast, it will happen gradually enough folks will have time to evacuate and move east. Of course all these scenarios leaves the Wyoming Calderon intact so whatever/whoever is left would still have that to worry about. :)

Do not forget the theory that Yellowstone park will turn into a super volcano and destroy America.

Well, a week since I've posted in the coffee shop. So far I am really enjoying the phrase "ex wife"
Court went well. Not quite as well as I had hoped, so I need to raise some cash.
Feeling depressed today. My little Maltese passed away a couple hours ago. I just finished with the shovel....

Well, a week since I've posted in the coffee shop. So far I am really enjoying the phrase "ex wife"
Court went well. Not quite as well as I had hoped, so I need to raise some cash.
Feeling depressed today. My little Maltese passed away a couple hours ago. I just finished with the shovel....
Sorry about the dog. Good news on the Ex.

Do not forget the theory that Yellowstone park will turn into a super volcano and destroy America.

Yes. That's what the Wyoming Caldera is. :) It won't destroy America but it could geographically change the west beyond recognition and affect the Earth's climate for centuries.

Last edited:

Oh Ernie. So sorry. I am happy one stressful chapter in your life is coming to a close--she has moved out yes? But I so wish there was some way to comfort you in the loss of your fur friend. I know so many of us know how hard that is and hurt with you.

UP or down south? I've been to both Marquette and Grand Rapids several times, both summer and winter. Summer is definitely more preferable. :)

Years ago when I was working for the Western Kansas and national Episcopal Church--no I am not Episcopalian--one of the bishops I regularly interacted with was the Michigan bishop based in Marquette. We would meet now and then in a snowbird kind of place in the wintertime, and his line was: "If you had been in Marquette this morning, you would have gone ANYWHERE!"

Yes. That's what the Wyoming Calderon is. :) It won't destroy America but it could geographically change the west beyond recognition and affect our climate for centuries.
If the whole thing blew, it could be an extinction event. The good news seems to be it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

Lava pool beneath Yellowstone supervolcano twice as big as previously thought

Yes. That's what the Wyoming Calderon is. :) It won't destroy America but it could geographically change the west beyond recognition and affect our climate for centuries.
If the whole thing blew, it could be an extinction event. The good news seems to be it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

You think? I think quite a bit of the planet survived the last time it erupted and I suspect it would again. Certainly those in several states in proximity would be severely impacted though. Those within several hundred miles of ground zero would be obliterated or might not survive. Far more dangerous to us all is a very large meteor hitting Earth. That would be an extinction event and I hope we have scientists and engineers working on it to prevent it happening to us again.

Extinction event? Well there's a great way to solve all of humanity's problems........ :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back