USMB Coffee Shop IV

Do not forget the theory that Yellowstone park will turn into a super volcano and destroy America.

Yes. That's what the Wyoming Calderon is. :) It won't destroy America but it could geographically change the west beyond recognition and affect our climate for centuries.
If the whole thing blew, it could be an extinction event. The good news seems to be it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

Lava pool beneath Yellowstone supervolcano twice as big as previously thought

You think? I think quite a bit of the planet easily survived the last time it erupted and I suspect it would again. Certainly those in several states in proximity would be severely impacted though. Those within several hundred miles within ground zero would be obliterated or might not survive.
The initial eruption would be catastrophic but (relatively) limited in area, that would not be the problem. Potentially that amount of ash and dust released into the atmosphere would blot out the sun and dramatically cool the earth for an extended period of time possibly triggering another ice age. Plant life would die followed by animal/human life. It would be a slow death for most.
After reading the LiveScience article I agree it wouldn't be an extinction event, but it would certainly kill a lot of people.
That's depending on if it was a partial or full eruption, a partial (what I suspect would be the most likely) would be like Mt St Helens and we'd have a cooler than normal year with almost constant overcast and lots of rain, a problem in and of itself that would cause some crop failures in certain areas. However I doubt it would be the extinction event that some predict but there's always the outside chance they're at least partially correct.

It was just raining here. The sun is gone, but it is still really humid out there.

Sometimes, it's more humid after it rains.
Actually it's always more humid after it rains, the moisture on the ground starts evaporating immediately filling the air with more moisture.

Yes. That's what the Wyoming Calderon is. :) It won't destroy America but it could geographically change the west beyond recognition and affect our climate for centuries.
If the whole thing blew, it could be an extinction event. The good news seems to be it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.

You think? I think quite a bit of the planet easily survived the last time it erupted and I suspect it would again. Certainly those in several states in proximity would be severely impacted though. Those within several hundred miles within ground zero would be obliterated or might not survive.
The initial eruption would be catastrophic but (relatively) limited in area, that would not be the problem. Potentially that amount of ash and dust released into the atmosphere would blot out the sun and dramatically cool the earth for an extended period of time possibly triggering another ice age. Plant life would die followed by animal/human life. It would be a slow death for most.

I have read those kinds of theories but while it would affect a great deal of the western United States and almost certainly would have an effect on the climate, I'm not seeing the apocolyptic

I have read those kinds of predictions, but reading up on it, I do believe it would have an effect on our climate, but not as apocalyptic an effect as all that. The USGS has put together a fairly good short one page summary of the history here:
USGS: Volcano Hazards Program YVO Yellowstone

and the misconceptions about it here:

This should be reassuring to even those folks who live in states closest to Wyoming.

Again large meteor strikes are far more likely to be globally catastrophic.
Here's the problem with that:

The epic volcano eruption that led to the ‘Year Without a Summer’

The same happened on a smaller scale with Mt St Helens. A Yellowstone caldera eruption has been predicted by some to be about a hundred times more powerful so the extinction event possibility exists of course it's only a possibility and based on some scientific knowledge combined with speculation.

100 times more powerful than Tambora?

I have read those kinds of theories but while it would affect a great deal of the western United States and almost certainly would have an effect on the climate, I'm not seeing the apocolyptic

I have read those kinds of predictions, but reading up on it, I do believe it would have an effect on our climate, but not as apocalyptic an effect as all that. The USGS has put together a fairly good short one page summary of the history here:

and the misconceptions about it here:

This should be reassuring to even those folks who live in states closest to Wyoming.

Again large meteor strikes are far more likely to be globally catastrophic.
Here's the problem with that:

The epic volcano eruption that led to the ‘Year Without a Summer’

The same happened on a smaller scale with Mt St Helens. A Yellowstone caldera eruption has been predicted by some to be about a hundred times more powerful so the extinction event possibility exists of course it's only a possibility and based on some scientific knowledge combined with speculation.

100 times more powerful than Tambora?
Not sure, I'd have to look it up again but not now, have to run errands. Oh happy, oh joy........

Feeling depressed today. My little Maltese passed away a couple hours ago. I just finished with the shovel....

Condolences on the Dawg Ernie...

Wives are easy to replace, not so much with a good Dawg...
Wives are too damned easy to replace. If it cost half as much to get one as it does to rectify the mistake, the divorce rate would improve greatly.

I got an email of my acceptance into the tech school I applied for. I just sent out an email to the financial aid office to see if there's anything they need me to do; I will only being paying for this program if I'm eligible for grant money, which I would think I am, considering I'm basically broke with no income. :lol:

Hopefully I'll know within the next few weeks and, if all goes well, starting classes in late August.

Ugh, I hated school once I got to high school. I haven't done any school since then, other than a few little online classes from places like codecademy and edX. I hope this doesn't end up as crappy as I expect it might. Plus this entire need to get some sort of job-useful education just shows how close I'm getting to having to stop being the little one's nanny. :(

Feeling depressed today. My little Maltese passed away a couple hours ago. I just finished with the shovel....

Wives are too damned easy to replace. If it cost half as much to get one as it does to rectify the mistake, the divorce rate would improve greatly.

I have avoided that by never getting a first one to need replacing. :lmao:

I have avoided that by never getting a first one to need replacing. :lmao:
Well, if I ever consider a 4th wife, I will just find a woman I hate and buy her a house. I figure I can save 5 years of pain.

I just now received an email from my ex. She has just returned from an Alaskan Cruise. She asked me in the email if I still drank coffee. I called her a silly girl... She said she seen some coffee on one of the ports-of-call and bought me some...
Can't live with them...
Can't shoot them...

upload_2016-7-14_16-33-26.png

I got an email of my acceptance into the tech school I applied for. I just sent out an email to the financial aid office to see if there's anything they need me to do; I will only being paying for this program if I'm eligible for grant money, which I would think I am, considering I'm basically broke with no income. :lol:

Hopefully I'll know within the next few weeks and, if all goes well, starting classes in late August.

Ugh, I hated school once I got to high school. I haven't done any school since then, other than a few little online classes from places like codecademy and edX. I hope this doesn't end up as crappy as I expect it might. Plus this entire need to get some sort of job-useful education just shows how close I'm getting to having to stop being the little one's nanny. :(
Congrats on your acceptance!

I wasn't a big fan of high school but enjoyed college (mostly the partying!). Ten years after graduation I went back for a Master's (courtesy of your tax dollars via the US Navy. Thanks!). It was great. I really enjoyed the year and a quarter of night classes twice a week and a occasional weekend courses. 15 years after that, I went to night school again at a community college. Again a wonderful, very enjoyable experience.

I just now received an email from my ex. She has just returned from an Alaskan Cruise. She asked me in the email if I still drank coffee. I called her a silly girl... She said she seen some coffee on one of the ports-of-call and bought me some...
Can't live with them...
Can't shoot them...

View attachment 81527
Heard from my ex for the first time in over 10 years. She wants her cut of my Navy pension (I just turned 60 after retiring out of the Naval Reserve). I'm fine with her having it, but expect she needs to do some of the paper work.

Currently with Wife 3.0 and I've never been happier in my life.

I wasn't a big fan of high school but enjoyed college (mostly the partying!). Ten years after graduation I went back for a Master's (courtesy of your tax dollars via the US Navy. Thanks!). It was great. I really enjoyed the year and a quarter of night classes twice a week and a occasional weekend courses. 15 years after that, I went to night school again at a community college. Again a wonderful, very enjoyable experience.

I will be doing online courses, no school partying for me. :lol:

Will you be attending classes or doing this on line Montro? I do applaud your effort though and will keep my fingers crossed that sufficient grant money is available.

Added: I just saw you last post about on line only. I would like that a lot. And if it actually does suck or you need more time to complete your coursework, you do seem to really like being a manny. (I think that fits better than nanny :) ) Maybe with good recommendations from your current employer you could find another position doing that?

Awesome! It's not going to be at all like high school. You are going to love it!

Thank you for your service and we are quite happy to help educate those who serve. :)

Forum List

Back