USMB Coffee Shop IV

Been busy the last few days doing some major house cleaning, it needed it. Right now I have two vacuum cleaners stripped down cause they needed major cleaning also including one where I have to order a brush bar belt from Bissell. They both have rinsable filters that were almost black, they're normally a bright blue, rinsed black water out of them for at least a minute. All the filter casings and housings have been scrubbed out and the beater bars cleaned of the wife's long blond hair......... :lol:

This is the last week of summer vacation for the little one. She goes back to school on Friday.....why Friday? I don't remember school starting on Fridays when I was a kid. :dunno:

And so early in August. Whatever happened to school starting around Labor Day?

Good morning everybody. August 1 and since the monsoon rains are back, our mornings are crisp and cool. Almost seems like we can detect that first bit of autumn in the air. Life is good in Albuquerque and I wish the same for all of you wherever you are.

Some details on the whole hog my brother and I are tasked with roasting this weekend; the pig will be between 110 and 135 pounds. Now, that's a big pig. We're trying to convince the host, one of our oldest and dearest friends, to get four nice pork shoulders and let us smoke them instead. The work would be halved and the pork shoulders would yield far more meat than a whole hog. After we strip the meat from the carcass, a 120 pound pig might MIGHT yield 70 pounds of meat. The rest is bone, sinew, skin and fat rendered off in the cooking process.

But the dramatic presentation of a big ol' pig rotating slowly on a spit is something the host just cannot do without. So, Friday afternoon, I'll leave work early, pick up my brother and drive north to the party site.

Meanwhile Daisy the Mutt will luxuriate at the Big House under Mom's watchful eye. While a walk in the park is not in her future that weekend, she'll sleep the contented sleep of a thoroughly pampered dog.

Did I tell you what happened last weekend? I took Daisy out to the grocer. It was a balmy 75 degrees. I left the car windows open about two inches, enough for air to get in, but not wide enough for a hand to unlock the door and let her out.

I bought a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a pound of ground chuck, some bagels and a bag of chips. It took all of 12 minutes. But, when I got back to the car, an overly concerned family was surrounding it. The mother exclaimed "She's panting! She's covered in fur and you left her in a hot car!"

I wasn't gone that long and I left the windows cracked." I explained trying to calm her down.

"I took a picture of your license plate and sent it to the police!" she said.

"Look, lady. This is the most spoiled dog in town. And that puts her high in the running for most spoiled in the county. I did not abuse this dog. In fact, here in my shopping bag is a box of her favorite cookies."

"You'll be hearing from the cops!" she went on.

Apparently, it is legal for such maniacs to actually break the car window to allow a trapped pooch to breathe. But I implore the good people of the USMB Coffee Shop, could I be an animal abuser? Could I be so vile as to torture Daisy the Mutt? Would I have been in the wrong if I suggested that this woman should go to hell? I might have, but I don't want to risk seeing her again.

I am sorry Nosmo King, I did not read bacon in your entire post. Might I suggest a small improvement?

Oh, and next time leave the keys with Daisy so she can get you a better parking spot while your gone.

I am sorry Nosmo King, I did not read bacon in your entire post. Might I suggest a small improvement?

Oh, and next time leave the keys with Daisy so she can get you a better parking spot while your gone.
When we stitch the pig closed, our 'sutures' go right through the bacon!

And Daisy is a lousy driver! She sometimes stands on my lap with her front paws on the wheel. She NEVER uses the turn signals and always veers left of center if she should happen to spot a cat or a squirrel on the sidewalk,

Some details on the whole hog my brother and I are tasked with roasting this weekend; the pig will be between 110 and 135 pounds. Now, that's a big pig. We're trying to convince the host, one of our oldest and dearest friends, to get four nice pork shoulders and let us smoke them instead. The work would be halved and the pork shoulders would yield far more meat than a whole hog. After we strip the meat from the carcass, a 120 pound pig might MIGHT yield 70 pounds of meat. The rest is bone, sinew, skin and fat rendered off in the cooking process.

But the dramatic presentation of a big ol' pig rotating slowly on a spit is something the host just cannot do without. So, Friday afternoon, I'll leave work early, pick up my brother and drive north to the party site.

Meanwhile Daisy the Mutt will luxuriate at the Big House under Mom's watchful eye. While a walk in the park is not in her future that weekend, she'll sleep the contented sleep of a thoroughly pampered dog.

Did I tell you what happened last weekend? I took Daisy out to the grocer. It was a balmy 75 degrees. I left the car windows open about two inches, enough for air to get in, but not wide enough for a hand to unlock the door and let her out.

I bought a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a pound of ground chuck, some bagels and a bag of chips. It took all of 12 minutes. But, when I got back to the car, an overly concerned family was surrounding it. The mother exclaimed "She's panting! She's covered in fur and you left her in a hot car!"

I wasn't gone that long and I left the windows cracked." I explained trying to calm her down.

"Look, lady. This is the most spoiled dog in town. And that puts her high in the running for most spoiled in the county. I did not abuse this dog. In fact, here in my shopping bag is a box of her favorite cookies."

Apparently, it is legal for such maniacs to actually break the car window to allow a trapped pooch to breathe. But I implore the good people of the USMB Coffee Shop, could I be an animal abuser? Could I be so vile as to torture Daisy the Mutt? Would I have been in the wrong if I suggested that this woman should go to hell? I might have, but I don't want to risk seeing her again.

I do not for a minute believe you would ever intentionally put Daisy at risk. But I can understand how people who don't know you would be concerned by a dog left in a car on a summer day. And yes, in most states it is legal to break the windows to save a dog or child under such circumstances. Where your neighbors were wrong was not accepting your explanation that you did not put her at risk.

I thought the biggest issue was not leaving a window open for air circulation?

I've read about states having laws allowing people to forcibly open someone else's car or car window to save a pet. I don't know how it works exactly; I would think there has to be some sort of measure for a person to decide a pet (or child, as Foxy pointed out) is in danger. Simply seeing a dog panting is a bit thin IMO.

I've read about states having laws allowing people to forcibly open someone else's car or car window to save a pet. I don't know how it works exactly; I would think there has to be some sort of measure for a person to decide a pet (or child, as Foxy pointed out) is in danger. Simply seeing a dog panting is a bit thin IMO.
It was much hotter earlier in the afternoon. But we went to the store at8:45 in the evening. We had a summer thunderstorm around 7:00 and that scrubbed the heat away. By the time we were at the store, it was only 75 according to the dash board thermometer.

The lady's claim of a hot car was outlandish. Had she broken the window, what recourse would I have?

Yes. But even with a window cracked, after awhile the interior of a car can exceed 100 degrees and become pretty miserable if not life threatening. But 10-15 minutes is probably not going to produce extreme discomfort, and will produce no discomfort if you park in the shade. I watch our little mini doxie--staying with us on an extended visit while her owner undergoes many weeks of treatment out of state--who goes outside frequently to do her business and hunt lizards or just patrol the perimeter of the yard. On hot summer days she intentionally stays in the shade. She will actually find a spot of shade all the way across the yard and sits in it and barks until we come to the door, and then she makes a beeline for the door. The rule of thumb is that if it is miserably warm or cold for us, then it is for them too.

But again I am confident you did not put Daisy at any risk.

Yes. But even with a window cracked, after awhile the interior of a car can exceed 100 degrees and become pretty miserable if not life threatening. But 10-15 minutes is probably not going to produce extreme discomfort, and will produce no discomfort if you park in the shade. I watch our little mini doxie--staying with us on an extended visit while her owner undergoes many weeks of treatment out of state--who goes outside frequently to do her business and hunt lizards or just patrol the perimeter of the yard. On hot summer days she intentionally stays in the shade. She will actually find a spot of shade all the way across the yard and sits in it and barks until we come to the door, and then she makes a beeline for the door. The rule of thumb is that if it is miserably warm or cold for us, then it is for them too.

My wife would be like that lady if I didn't curb her fervency with rationality which I've had to do on a couple of occasions.

Would I have been in the wrong if I suggested that this woman should go to hell? I might have, but I don't want to risk seeing her again.

NK first I must congratulate you on your ability to sequester your outrage with these people. Most people have enough common sense and experience with animals to see when an animal is in distress. There are people looking for situations just like this to be the "Hero". Obviously this family was looking for undeserving acclamations.

As John Wayne said... "ya done well, Pilgrim"...

My wife would be like that lady if I didn't curb her fervency with rationality which I've had to do on a couple of occasions.
I remember a line in Stephen King's THE SHINING concerning curbing a wife's fervency, but rather than 'curbing', the caretaker "corrected her".

I remember a line in Stephen King's THE SHINING concerning curbing a wife's fervency, but rather than 'curbing', the caretaker "corrected her".

The only horror movie I can truly appreciate. Brilliantly conceived and crafted.

The only horror movie I can truly appreciate. Brilliantly conceived and crafted.
High praise for Stanley Kubrick.

Forum List

Back