USMB Coffee Shop IV

It is almost 8pm and I still have not eaten a darn thing yet. Neither has MrG. The Dreaded Day has arrived. We got our 60 day notice to move. After 12 years...and stressing over this for almost 6 months...the D Day was today when I went to pay the rent.

I am overwhelmed, to say the least. And scared shitless. Almost 30 years of living in this area...it's over. Finished. Oh sure...me making light of it that we will live in the van and MrGs truck will be our storage all sounded like "meh. we can do this. No biggie". Until I started pulling down framed art, precious things I have had for upteen years, going thru my clothes so they are the basic minimums, MrG going thru his precious tools and choosing which he wants versus which he needs, my lounge chair that was Gracies to be sold, the wingback chair I have been dragging around with me for 35 years, my bed, my little things I dearly love...all going to a final yard sale then curbside as freebies and all that we own crammed in to his truck and he and I sleeping in my van with our two fur children. No kind dentist that will do what needs done and take payments because he has known us for years. No vet that will take care of Karma or Moki and take payments because we have been clients for years. No recliner to watch tv and soon..no internet for netflix.

60 days is not a long time. Hell, I have been hunting for almost 6 months now and still have not found anything we can afford. Unless we want to live in skid row. So 60 days is an eye blink. In 9 days, I get the cataract surgery. In 25 days, I go see the dermatologist to make sure the freezing of the pre cancerous things on my arms are healing. In 60 days..no roof. No shower. No tub. No kitchen. No address for mail. Just a 65 year old woman and a 70 year old man and a 12 year old rat terrier and a 11 year old yellow lab...living in a van being shooed off by police or sheriff to "move along".

I knew this day would come. But I prayed it wouldn't happen. It did.

It is almost 8pm and I still have not eaten a darn thing yet. Neither has MrG. The Dreaded Day has arrived. We got our 60 day notice to move. After 12 years...and stressing over this for almost 6 months...the D Day was today when I went to pay the rent.

I am overwhelmed, to say the least. And scared shitless. Almost 30 years of living in this area...it's over. Finished. Oh sure...me making light of it that we will live in the van and MrGs truck will be our storage all sounded like "meh. we can do this. No biggie". Until I started pulling down framed art, precious things I have had for upteen years, going thru my clothes so they are the basic minimums, MrG going thru his precious tools and choosing which he wants versus which he needs, my lounge chair that was Gracies to be sold, the wingback chair I have been dragging around with me for 35 years, my bed, my little things I dearly love...all going to a final yard sale then curbside as freebies and all that we own crammed in to his truck and he and I sleeping in my van with our two fur children. No kind dentist that will do what needs done and take payments because he has known us for years. No vet that will take care of Karma or Moki and take payments because we have been clients for years. No recliner to watch tv and soon..no internet for netflix.

60 days is not a long time. Hell, I have been hunting for almost 6 months now and still have not found anything we can afford. Unless we want to live in skid row. So 60 days is an eye blink. In 9 days, I get the cataract surgery. In 25 days, I go see the dermatologist to make sure the freezing of the pre cancerous things on my arms are healing. In 60 days..no roof. No shower. No tub. No kitchen. No address for mail. Just a 65 year old woman and a 70 year old man and a 12 year old rat terrier and a 11 year old yellow lab...living in a van being shooed off by police or sheriff to "move along".

:smiliehug::smiliehug::smiliehug::smiliehug:

I hope something unexpectedly comes up giving you a good place to go, Gracie!

Some details on the whole hog my brother and I are tasked with roasting this weekend; the pig will be between 110 and 135 pounds. Now, that's a big pig. We're trying to convince the host, one of our oldest and dearest friends, to get four nice pork shoulders and let us smoke them instead. The work would be halved and the pork shoulders would yield far more meat than a whole hog. After we strip the meat from the carcass, a 120 pound pig might MIGHT yield 70 pounds of meat. The rest is bone, sinew, skin and fat rendered off in the cooking process.

But the dramatic presentation of a big ol' pig rotating slowly on a spit is something the host just cannot do without. So, Friday afternoon, I'll leave work early, pick up my brother and drive north to the party site.

Meanwhile Daisy the Mutt will luxuriate at the Big House under Mom's watchful eye. While a walk in the park is not in her future that weekend, she'll sleep the contented sleep of a thoroughly pampered dog.

Did I tell you what happened last weekend? I took Daisy out to the grocer. It was a balmy 75 degrees. I left the car windows open about two inches, enough for air to get in, but not wide enough for a hand to unlock the door and let her out.

I bought a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a pound of ground chuck, some bagels and a bag of chips. It took all of 12 minutes. But, when I got back to the car, an overly concerned family was surrounding it. The mother exclaimed "She's panting! She's covered in fur and you left her in a hot car!"

I wasn't gone that long and I left the windows cracked." I explained trying to calm her down.

"I took a picture of your license plate and sent it to the police!" she said.

"Look, lady. This is the most spoiled dog in town. And that puts her high in the running for most spoiled in the county. I did not abuse this dog. In fact, here in my shopping bag is a box of her favorite cookies."

"You'll be hearing from the cops!" she went on.

Apparently, it is legal for such maniacs to actually break the car window to allow a trapped pooch to breathe. But I implore the good people of the USMB Coffee Shop, could I be an animal abuser? Could I be so vile as to torture Daisy the Mutt? Would I have been in the wrong if I suggested that this woman should go to hell? I might have, but I don't want to risk seeing her again.

I thought the biggest issue was not leaving a window open for air circulation?

I've read about states having laws allowing people to forcibly open someone else's car or car window to save a pet. I don't know how it works exactly; I would think there has to be some sort of measure for a person to decide a pet (or child, as Foxy pointed out) is in danger. Simply seeing a dog panting is a bit thin IMO.
It was much hotter earlier in the afternoon. But we went to the store at8:45 in the evening. We had a summer thunderstorm around 7:00 and that scrubbed the heat away. By the time we were at the store, it was only 75 according to the dash board thermometer.

The lady's claim of a hot car was outlandish. Had she broken the window, what recourse would I have?

That's hard to say. I would leave my dog in the car for a few minutes under the conditions you are describing. Your best bet would probably be to turn it into your insurance company if you have comprehensive insurance on your car with a full explanation and let them try to collect from the 'vandal'. That seems kind of unlikely and of course you would have the $100 deductible or whatever. You might do better in small claims court but it is uncertain what a judge would rule. The lady would be in the wrong but probably would have some legal protection.

Last edited:

It may be that your landlord will back off this as he has done before. Or whoever buys the property will use it as rental property and you can stay there. But you should go to the nearest human services or HUD office and find out what your options are. You will be in my prayers.

Last edited:
For those that like utter perfection:

Hey Gatsby. Good to see you. You haven't been here in like forever. And your video is mesmerizing. I watched the whole thing. Thanks for posting that. I can't imagine the skill it would take to program a machine to do that.

Last edited:

I am really sorry to hear that. I live in fear of getting evicted myself. Although in my case I am fairly safe now.
But the house I live in was sold once before with me as a sitting tenant. However I survived that and my current landlords are reasonable. Maybe you could stay put until they send bailiffs, which would give you more time to find a place.
You could probably put your stuff in storage quite cheaply and find temporary accommodation. But the dogs are a problem, as some landlords don't allow pets.

Seems that there are a lot of us in the Coffee Shop who are in or are anticipating being in difficult transitions or situations of one sort or another. Hombre and I are no exception. And it does help to know people have your back even if it is just to understand and care.

Seems that there are a lot of us in the Coffee Shop who are in or are anticipating being in difficult transitions or situations of one sort or another. Hombre and I are no exception. And it does help to know people have your back even if it is just to understand and care.

I don't expect my nanny job to end for at least a couple of years and I still stress about what the hell I'm going to do with myself when it does.

I am happy to say that the problem has been resolved. The landlord is moving in himself but does not want to rent rooms to us. I guess he didn't want to hurt our feelings? The house is not for sale. (Got this from the neighbors who knew his parents that used to live here. They gave me the scoop).
Which is fine. He promised he would never ask me to move, but he also didn't know he would wind up with cancer either, be super sick all the time or even think we would stay put for so long. It will be 12 years in November that we have lived here. And we would have stayed longer too, if able.

However..this door has been shut...and another one opened. We are moving in with friends in Southern Calif. They own their home, so nobody will tell anyone to move. They are also ex roomies of MINE, when she was down and out before she married her childhood friend who is also our friend as well. So...they are renting a storage unit for the stuff that is in the garage and that will be my and MrGs room for now. Double car garage, I might add. BIG. She said once we get there, we will hang drapes or build a wall if MrG snores too loud for me, lol. And..I have my own little patio area in the back yard. She has lots of trees back there as well. It really is a lovely home and MrG and I will be quite comfortable. She knows we would not do it if we can't pay our own way, so we agreed at 500 per month for both of us, with utilities already paid. Flat fee of 500. Later on, she wants to build a she-shed for me cuz she knows how much I want one as my own bedroom. That will go in that fabulous back yard and will be all mine! With the storage unit she is getting, we are going to pay half..so that means we do not have to sell the things that are precious and sentimental to us. Once the garage is decorated and the she-shed built...our things are right there in the storage place..which happens to be located behind her house one block over! Tis a sign, I think. lol.
The dogs know them and love them, they know the dogs and love them. And we are all getting back together again just like before, but this time we are the roomies and she is the landlord which suits me fine. We all know the house rules because we all did it before. And MrG has her husband to go yard saling with now, so he will be out of the house more often. It is a senior community as well, so no kids! YAY!

I went to bed this morning at 4am, didn't eat anything, and was stressing big time. Today...I am packing what we want to keep, making a pile of stuff we don't want, and will get what we need like beds and such once we get there.

So all in all....prayers have been answered! We plan to move on October 2nd and if possible..maybe sooner.

Last edited:
I am happy to say that the problem has been resolved. The landlord is moving in himself but does not want to rent rooms to us. I guess he didn't want to hurt our feelings? The house is not for sale. (Got this from the neighbors who knew his parents that used to live here. They gave me the scoop).
Which is fine. He promised he would never ask me to move, but he also didn't know he would wind up with cancer either, be super sick all the time or even think we would stay put for so long. It will be 12 years in November that we have lived here. And we would have stayed longer too, if able.

However..this door has been shut...and another one opened. We are moving in with friends in Southern Calif. They own their home, so nobody will tell anyone to move. They are also ex roomies of MINE, when she was down and out before she married her childhood friend who is also our friend as well. So...they are renting a storage unit for the stuff that is in the garage and that will be my and MrGs room for now. Double car garage, I might add. BIG. She said once we get there, we will hang drapes or build a wall if MrG snores too loud for me, lol. And..I have my own little patio area in the back yard. She has lots of trees back there as well. It really is a lovely home and MrG and I will be quite comfortable. She knows we would not do it if we can't pay our own way, so we agreed at 500 per month for both of us, with utilities already paid. Flat fee of 500. Later on, she wants to build a she-shed for me cuz she knows how much I want one as my own bedroom. That will go in that fabulous back yard and will be all mine! With the storage unit she is getting, we are going to pay half..so that means we do not have to sell the things that are precious and sentimental to us. Once the garage is decorated and the she-shed built...our things are right there in the storage place..which happens to be located behind her house one block over! Tis a sign, I think. lol.
The dogs know them and love them, they know the dogs and love them. And we are all getting back together again just like before, but this time we are the roomies and she is the landlord which suits me fine. We all know the house rules because we all did it before. And MrG has her husband to go yard saling with now, so he will be out of the house more often. It is a senior community as well, so no kids! YAY!

I went to bed this morning at 4am, didn't eat anything, and was stressing big time. Today...I am packing what we want to keep, making a pile of stuff we don't want, and will get what we need like beds and such once we get there.

So all in all....prayers have been answered! We plan to move on October 2nd and if possible..maybe sooner.
:thup:

On a less stressful note, it's overcast, occasional periods of rain with temps in the high 70s and a good stiff breeze. I have the house open for the first time in over a month, feels good. :thup:

So glad this seems to be working out well for you. :D

Made a late trip to Wally World, when I left the wind had died down, by the time I returned home it was still outside, the temp had jumped up to the low 80s and the humidity had only dropped down to 45%. Even though it's only working at around 60% efficiency I closed up the house and turned the swamp coolers back on.......
These trips are getting harder each time, more pain quicker so more rests as I'm shopping so it takes longer. Such is life....... :dunno:

Geez, answered prayer and I didn't even have time to get you two back on the vigil list. :) But glad it is working out. We'll hope for a smooth and trouble free transition just the same.

Made a late trip to Wally World, when I left the wind had died down, by the time I returned home it was still outside, the temp had jumped up to the low 80s and the humidity had only dropped down to 45%. Even though it's only working at around 60% efficiency I closed up the house and turned the swamp coolers back on.......
These trips are getting harder each time, more pain quicker so more rests as I'm shopping so it takes longer. Such is life....... :dunno:

I do understand what you are saying. It doesn't get easier. But we learn to cope.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Sixfoot's bad back,
Rod, GW's partner,
IamwhatIseem's bad hip,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Sherry's son and his European tour group,
Boedicca's Dad,
Pogo's aunt,
BigBlackDog and Mrs. BBD in the loss of their beloved Jingles.
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in their transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And thinking of
And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Mount Roraima

most_weird_places_10.jpg

Geez, answered prayer and I didn't even have time to get you two back on the vigil list. :) But glad it is working out. We'll hope for a smooth and trouble free transition just the same.
We are still on the low income waiting list, so our plan is to live with our friends, help out the best we can, and stay there until a unit comes up available and we are called. Then we will just move back home to my beloved ocean. :)

My mother's sister, the last survivor of that generation, is in ER with what so far looks like a mild stroke. I'll be traveling down there tomorrow and visit her in hospital Friday. Prayers much appreciated.

She'll be 97 next month.

For sure Pogo. Prayers on the way.

Just to follow up, I took a few days, zipped down there and before I arrived my aunt had simply sprung back to normal, perfectly lucid and walking around. She has full memory of being unable to write her word puzzles and coming up with words that don't exist (what, that's a problem?) and self-assessed that she had a mini-stroke or -- something else with a three-letter acronym I can't recall, but shook it off like a cold and is back home by now with no apparent effects. While in hospital the attending doc pronounced her the "best looking blood work I've seen all day". So I told her I dropped in early for her birthday and she declared flatly, "I'm going for a hundred!". Three more years, I say she gets there.

Y'all are efficient wit deze here prayers I must say. :tongue: So Foxy, take my aunt off the list afore she gets insulted and assign the energy elsewhere where needed, like Gracie's transition. And thank you.

While there I went full photographer on the house we have for sale and set up a new real estate agent who takes over today. She seems to be on the ball and I feel very good about her. A very productive trip. Now I've got friends up from N'awlins visiting and off to meet them in a few minutes. Work work work.

Forum List

Back