USMB Coffee Shop IV

Things seem to be going well in the Coffee Shop, maybe we should buy a lottery ticket or some really cheap cookies for a buck.

My mother's sister, the last survivor of that generation, is in ER with what so far looks like a mild stroke. I'll be traveling down there tomorrow and visit her in hospital Friday. Prayers much appreciated.

She'll be 97 next month.

For sure Pogo. Prayers on the way.

Just to follow up, I took a few days, zipped down there and before I arrived my aunt had simply sprung back to normal, perfectly lucid and walking around. She has full memory of being unable to write her word puzzles and coming up with words that don't exist (what, that's a problem?) and self-assessed that she had a mini-stroke or -- something else with a three-letter acronym I can't recall, but shook it off like a cold and is back home by now with no apparent effects. While in hospital the attending doc pronounced her the "best looking blood work I've seen all day". So I told her I dropped in early for her birthday and she declared flatly, "I'm going for a hundred!". Three more years, I say she gets there.

Y'all are efficient wit deze here prayers I must say. :tongue: So Foxy, take my aunt off the list afore she gets insulted and assign the energy elsewhere where needed, like Gracie's transition. And thank you.

WTG to your Auntie Pogo. The three letter acronym was probably a TIA. My aunt here in Albuquerque has had them too and they are major scary but usually pass quickly with no lasting damage. They change their meds to keep them from reoccuring. But so happy she's doing well. How is Pat doing now?

While there I went full photographer on the house we have for sale and set up a new real estate agent who takes over today. She seems to be on the ball and I feel very good about her. A very productive trip. Now I've got friends up from N'awlins visiting and off to meet them in a few minutes. Work work work.

Are you leaving your beloved North Carolina?

While there I went full photographer on the house we have for sale and set up a new real estate agent who takes over today. She seems to be on the ball and I feel very good about her. A very productive trip. Now I've got friends up from N'awlins visiting and off to meet them in a few minutes. Work work work.
That's what ya get for having friends.

Oh wait!

Never mind....... :D

I am happy to say that the problem has been resolved. The landlord is moving in himself but does not want to rent rooms to us. I guess he didn't want to hurt our feelings? The house is not for sale. (Got this from the neighbors who knew his parents that used to live here. They gave me the scoop).
Which is fine. He promised he would never ask me to move, but he also didn't know he would wind up with cancer either, be super sick all the time or even think we would stay put for so long. It will be 12 years in November that we have lived here. And we would have stayed longer too, if able.

However..this door has been shut...and another one opened. We are moving in with friends in Southern Calif. They own their home, so nobody will tell anyone to move. They are also ex roomies of MINE, when she was down and out before she married her childhood friend who is also our friend as well. So...they are renting a storage unit for the stuff that is in the garage and that will be my and MrGs room for now. Double car garage, I might add. BIG. She said once we get there, we will hang drapes or build a wall if MrG snores too loud for me, lol. And..I have my own little patio area in the back yard. She has lots of trees back there as well. It really is a lovely home and MrG and I will be quite comfortable. She knows we would not do it if we can't pay our own way, so we agreed at 500 per month for both of us, with utilities already paid. Flat fee of 500. Later on, she wants to build a she-shed for me cuz she knows how much I want one as my own bedroom. That will go in that fabulous back yard and will be all mine! With the storage unit she is getting, we are going to pay half..so that means we do not have to sell the things that are precious and sentimental to us. Once the garage is decorated and the she-shed built...our things are right there in the storage place..which happens to be located behind her house one block over! Tis a sign, I think. lol.
The dogs know them and love them, they know the dogs and love them. And we are all getting back together again just like before, but this time we are the roomies and she is the landlord which suits me fine. We all know the house rules because we all did it before. And MrG has her husband to go yard saling with now, so he will be out of the house more often. It is a senior community as well, so no kids! YAY!

I went to bed this morning at 4am, didn't eat anything, and was stressing big time. Today...I am packing what we want to keep, making a pile of stuff we don't want, and will get what we need like beds and such once we get there.

So all in all....prayers have been answered! We plan to move on October 2nd and if possible..maybe sooner.

That must be a big relief. I was going to say that you should look into senior housing programs in your area. Hope your new place works out well for you, Gracie. :) That is great news!

The three letter acronym was probably a TIA.

Is TIA anything like the CRS I am afflicted with?

LOL. Not exactly. A whole bunch of us 'old timers' are afflicted with CRS but will never have a TIA.

Transient ischemic attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke): A neurological event with the signs and symptoms of a stroke, but which go away within a short period of time. Also called a mini-stroke, a TIA is due to a temporary lack of adequate blood and oxygen (ischemia) to the brain. This is often caused by the narrowing (or, less often, ulceration) of the carotid arteries (the major arteries in the neck that supply blood to the brain).

TIAs typically last 2 to 30 minutes and can produce problems with vision,dizziness, weakness or trouble speaking​

It is necessary to provide treatment right away--and they are scary enough that just about everybody does seek immediate treatment or their loved ones do that for them--as these often precede a real stroke. With immediately treatment though, the big stroke is far less likely to happen.

12936748_1682008605396660_4463113339821173377_n.jpg

My mother's sister, the last survivor of that generation, is in ER with what so far looks like a mild stroke. I'll be traveling down there tomorrow and visit her in hospital Friday. Prayers much appreciated.

She'll be 97 next month.

For sure Pogo. Prayers on the way.

Just to follow up, I took a few days, zipped down there and before I arrived my aunt had simply sprung back to normal, perfectly lucid and walking around. She has full memory of being unable to write her word puzzles and coming up with words that don't exist (what, that's a problem?) and self-assessed that she had a mini-stroke or -- something else with a three-letter acronym I can't recall, but shook it off like a cold and is back home by now with no apparent effects. While in hospital the attending doc pronounced her the "best looking blood work I've seen all day". So I told her I dropped in early for her birthday and she declared flatly, "I'm going for a hundred!". Three more years, I say she gets there.

Y'all are efficient wit deze here prayers I must say. :tongue: So Foxy, take my aunt off the list afore she gets insulted and assign the energy elsewhere where needed, like Gracie's transition. And thank you.

WTG to your Auntie Pogo. The three letter acronym was probably a TIA. My aunt here in Albuquerque has had them too and they are major scary but usually pass quickly with no lasting damage. They change their meds to keep them from reoccuring. But so happy she's doing well. How is Pat doing now?

TIA does sound familiar, I guess that was it, thanks Foxy. Pat's getting along although having nagging lung problems that are concerning me. I just ordered her a nebulizer which may help, and I'm trying to get her a laptop so she can at least connect to a few things without having to lumber over to her old desktop.

Are you leaving your beloved North Carolina?

Just for the trip, did that last week/weekend. I'm back now.

Got me a good strong car wash in Alabama with a 25 degree temp drop on the way. We've had some torrential downpours lately and they've followed here the last couple of days in the mountains where it doesn't usually happen. Had a nice early lunch with my N'awlins friends who are on their way to PEI. Nice vacation for them.

Thought the neighborhood ended up in decent hands, may now have to revise my estimation of at least one of new neighbors...but first a side event. Old man shot his druggie son dead about six blocks from here week ago.....now back to main story.
House behind us where guy died went to a person working for same govt agency who knew the old neighbor but claims he did not know he was buying his house....dont see a lot of him, seems ok but so did the guy who moed in next to us.
It's Mon morning 4am and I here a voice and noise emanating from just outside master bath window. Stroll over and have a look and someone is moving the plastic bin we store winter covers for patio furniture and looking around behind it. Its neighbor but I didnt recognize him at first. Go out the front door all quiet come up behind him and ask wtf he's doing. He apologizes, ID's himself and claims he's looking for his dog, which is way to big to hide behind that bin. Forget what I said, go back inside and join the wife who is now awake in watching to see what happens next from the shadows,,,,he proceeds to pace out back and side yards and the other new neighbors yard and the guy across the streets yard and entering and exiting his house multiple times talking loudly to himself it seems.
Finally get dressed go out if he needs some sort of assistance....I find him staring down the line of lilacs. he says there is a tunnel in there and a bunker by his house and he can see the ground moving as people go thru the tunnel. Whole time he is sweating profusely. I dont see or hear anything. He disappears across the street for awhile comes back and says they got away over that guys fence and cops will be by shortly. Sure enough they were and immediately left after telling him he's crazy without using the term. All the while I was hoping they would say "hey fine citizen lets go inside and make sure you are safe" and find out what the hell kind of drugs he was on.
Only other explanation is he's vet with ptsd.....Dont know the guy well enough that he would open up and tell me what the real scoop is over a beer which leaves me watching and waiting ........and inspecting the back yard every night in case he was up to something

Thought the neighborhood ended up in decent hands, may now have to revise my estimation of at least one of new neighbors...but first a side event. Old man shot his druggie son dead about six blocks from here week ago.....now back to main story.
House behind us where guy died went to a person working for same govt agency who knew the old neighbor but claims he did not know he was buying his house....dont see a lot of him, seems ok but so did the guy who moed in next to us.
It's Mon morning 4am and I here a voice and noise emanating from just outside master bath window. Stroll over and have a look and someone is moving the plastic bin we store winter covers for patio furniture and looking around behind it. Its neighbor but I didnt recognize him at first. Go out the front door all quiet come up behind him and ask wtf he's doing. He apologizes, ID's himself and claims he's looking for his dog, which is way to big to hide behind that bin. Forget what I said, go back inside and join the wife who is now awake in watching to see what happens next from the shadows,,,,he proceeds to pace out back and side yards and the other new neighbors yard and the guy across the streets yard and entering and exiting his house multiple times talking loudly to himself it seems.
Finally get dressed go out if he needs some sort of assistance....I find him staring down the line of lilacs. he says there is a tunnel in there and a bunker by his house and he can see the ground moving as people go thru the tunnel. Whole time he is sweating profusely. I dont see or hear anything. He disappears across the street for awhile comes back and says they got away over that guys fence and cops will be by shortly. Sure enough they were and immediately left after telling him he's crazy without using the term. All the while I was hoping they would say "hey fine citizen lets go inside and make sure you are safe" and find out what the hell kind of drugs he was on.
Only other explanation is he's vet with ptsd.....Dont know the guy well enough that he would open up and tell me what the real scoop is over a beer which leaves me watching and waiting ........and inspecting the back yard every night in case he was up to something

You definitely live in an interesting neighborhood MOTS. I think I would consider moving.

[rQUOTE="Foxfyre, post: 14940710, member: 6847"]

You definitely live in an interesting neighborhood MOTS. I think I would consider moving.[/QUOTE]

I lived in a bed sitting room twenty three years ago. In the flat above me was a bag snatcher who used to throw empty handbags out of his window. There were three handbags in the garden.
In another flat was a car thief who left stolen cars in the street outside. One night there was an armed police raid and they took the car thief away. He had a shotgun which I saw the police carry out of the house.
On another occasion a girl attempted to move into the room next to mine and in between van loads someone kicked down her door and took the stuff she had moved in. They must have waited for me to go out to the shops before the robbery, because I heard nothing until the police knocked on my door. I entered and exited through a back door so I did not see the broken door until I opened my door for the police.

I subsequently moved to my present flat which I have lived in for 23 years. I had some problems with previous neighbours here, but nothing like at my last accommodation. But those neighbours have left. Now there are two old lady's living above and below me, and I get on well with them.

Last edited:
HI all !

Sorry I have not been on the board for a while.
Been very busy with lots of things going on right now.
I have not even had much time to even get my email let alone posting on the board. :)

We are really enjoying our new air conditioner and walk in tub.
It's amazing how well the 10 types of Jacuzzi massages work and how fast that you can take a shower. The micro bubbles work exceedingly well. It's great for both our out feet.

Plus I have my nose in a series of books with 9 volumes.
I'm on book 7 right now. :)

Everyone have a great weekend.

HI all !

Sorry I have not been on the board for a while.
Been very busy with lots of things going on right now.
I have not even had much time to even get my email let alone posting on the board. :)

We are really enjoying our new air conditioner and walk in tub.
It's amazing how well the 10 types of Jacuzzi massages work and how fast that you can take a shower. The micro bubbles work exceedingly well. It's great for both our out feet.

Plus I have my nose in a series of books with 9 volumes.
I'm on book 7 right now. :)

Everyone have a great weekend.

You've been missed Peach but you said you would be really busy this summer. I envy you that tub. Will be happy when you can drop in often again.

Good morning all. We had a good rain last night and the morning is sunny but cool enough to have doors and windows open. As Ringel said, that is really pleasant after being sealed off against the heat so long. Possible more rain today. I will be doing some touch up housecleaning today in advance of the arrival of house guests tomorrow.

The little one is back in school. Last year when school was starting I drew her a big SpongeBob to put on her door that says Back To School, this year I did the same thing but drew Oh from the movie Home (her current favorite which she watched multiple times a week).

I finally got a response from the school I'm trying to enter and they say I can take the Anatomy & Physiology class at another school close to me, I just need to wait until I've been at their school for at least a semester first. I figure it will end up costing me about $1000 to do that, but considering almost all my costs for the main school are likely to be covered by the grants I'm eligible for, that's still cheaper than my second option.

Speaking of those grants, I can't get them until I provide a letter from the IRS that says I didn't file taxes last year. I still haven't gotten that yet and I don't know when I will. I sent the IRS a form through the mail a while ago (since their online and phone options didn't function) but I have to wait on them sending me back the letter. Unfortunately, if I don't get that letter to the school by the 25th, I can't get financial aid. I don't think I want to wait until the next semester, in Spring, to start school, so I've got less than 3 weeks to get that letter and send it off.

I'm going to try and get a hold of my advisor and register for classes, probably on Monday (I don't think the school offices are open on Fridays), and hope that my non-filer letter comes soon and that, assuming that part works out, I don't have any trouble taking the A&P classes at another school next year.

They certainly could make this process easier!

The little one is back in school. Last year when school was starting I drew her a big SpongeBob to put on her door that says Back To School, this year I did the same thing but drew Oh from the movie Home (her current favorite which she watched multiple times a week).

I finally got a response from the school I'm trying to enter and they say I can take the Anatomy & Physiology class at another school close to me, I just need to wait until I've been at their school for at least a semester first. I figure it will end up costing me about $1000 to do that, but considering almost all my costs for the main school are likely to be covered by the grants I'm eligible for, that's still cheaper than my second option.

Speaking of those grants, I can't get them until I provide a letter from the IRS that says I didn't file taxes last year. I still haven't gotten that yet and I don't know when I will. I sent the IRS a form through the mail a while ago (since their online and phone options didn't function) but I have to wait on them sending me back the letter. Unfortunately, if I don't get that letter to the school by the 25th, I can't get financial aid. I don't think I want to wait until the next semester, in Spring, to start school, so I've got less than 3 weeks to get that letter and send it off.

I'm going to try and get a hold of my advisor and register for classes, probably on Monday (I don't think the school offices are open on Fridays), and hope that my non-filer letter comes soon and that, assuming that part works out, I don't have any trouble taking the A&P classes at another school next year.

They certainly could make this process easier!

The red tape to negotiate almost any government program is frustrating and sometimes mind boggling. Hombre needed to get a handicapped placard as his arthritic and eventually to be replaced hip has been giving him fits at time and walking long distances is not in the cards for him most days anymore. Getting the right paperwork from our family doctor was complicated enough--she filled it out incorrectly twice--but the wait at the DMV was like four hours. We could have sped up the process by going to the privately owned and run DMV Express nearer to home but it would have cost us $27 there while the state run DMV placard was free. And he watches his pennies. :)

I recently explored the possibility of taking some on line college courses recently and I agree. . .the process is complicated, time consuming, and frustrating and if the federal government is involved, regardless of which party is in power, it is even more so.

Forum List

Back