USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everybody. Now that the political conventions are over--today I think if I have to listen to one more political speech from anybody I will throw up--I thought I might alert ya'll that the world will end a week from tomorrow.

The group End Times Prophecies has declared the world will end July 29 in a chain of events prompted by an ongoing phenomenon known as a polar flip.

The good news: We can stop worrying about who will be the next President. . .

World to end July 29, says group that’s always wrong
I too am now burned out on emotional patriotic political speeches.

I thought BHO's was the best. I loved the part about Hillary better qualified than Bill or himself.

I thought Bill's was second best. He is great at stand up comedy and has not lost anything. His nose is more red now.

I though Bloomberg's was 3rd best. He made a stunning appeal to Republicans and Independents. The Democrats were already in the bag.

Those are my gold, silver, and bronze.

Hillary and Chelsea did ok but they both need to work on it. Hillary is getting better though as her confidence grows and she is more comfortable in front of the crowds. Her speaking style is professorial and a lot like Walter Mondale's. She should study him some. "Where's the beef ?!"

There is no reason now for the World to end before the 2000th anniversary of Jesus' ascension -- sometime on April 17, 2033. Look for a complete eclipse of the sun in Jerusalem followed in 2 weeks by a blood red moon and then an asteroid shower. That's all we were told about it.

The 2000th anniversary of Jesus' birth was back in 1995 -- it came and went.

Y2K was a useless Gregorian calendar event.
Politics are off limits here, guy. This is the respite from the madness.

Foxy, my son is safely home on American soil. Thanks for the good thoughts.:)
Wow!

"Your not the boss of me ..." there's a song like this from the early 1960's too -- early feminism before it was cool:

I love music from the 50's and 60's and most of the 70's, some of the 80's, after that not so much. (Don't read this Montrovant. :))

To Yios: taste in music is one of those things some of us disagree on. Montro doesn't appreciate my opinion of modern day music. But we love each other in the Coffee Shop. :)

It's OK MamaFox! I love you even when you're wrong. :lol:

Thank you dear. That's reassuring on the theory that I'm wrong more than I want to admit. :)

You're not wrong, Foxy. Any music recorder after Eric Clapton found his first gray hair sucks.

I'm sure it's not as hot here as it is for you, Foxy, but it's plenty hot enough! Just being in the 90s is more than I want, especially when it gets humid. At least it's not as hot as it would be if I still lived in Tampa. :lol:

I understand. But hot is hot no matter where you live. I know a few people who adjust to it and enjoy the heat. Me? I would love a climate that was sweater weather year round except for maybe just a few snow days and a few hot summer days for variety.
You need to move here then.

I would love to live where you do. But we can't afford it.
Merry Olde England is cold and windy and damp and crowded with lots of poverty and panhandlers.

Unless you went to Ox-Bridge (Oxford or Cambridge) it is really hard to find a job there.

You DON'T want to live there trust me.

I have travelled to Europe plenty of times and hired people over there and they stand in very long lines for interviews. It always breaks my heart that I cannot hire all of them.

Not like NYC or Chicago or Houston or LA or SF where there are lots of jobs.

Pretty long lines for jobs in a lot of places in the U.S. too. And our Brit friends who have posted in the Coffee Shop seem to do okay. Every place has plusses and minuses.

Happy Sunday, CS! :)

c1e19084df65ba8e8d7dbeffa2591f7a.jpg

Unbelievable ! Luke Aikins survived jumping 25.000 feet into a net, from a plane without a parachute.

If you want to see it :

Skydiver Luke Aikins Sets Record For Highest Jump Without Parachute

The only way I'm jumping out of a plane is if it's on fire! :eek-52:

I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 2500 feet about 30 years ago. But I had two parachutes, a main chute and a reserve.
I was expecting Aikins to miss the net and die, because he had to fly to the net using his arms and body.
A ridiculously dangerous thing to do.

Unbelievable ! Luke Aikins survived jumping 25.000 feet into a net, from a plane without a parachute.

If you want to see it :

I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 2500 feet about 30 years ago. But I had two parachutes, a main chute and a reserve.
I was expecting Aikins to miss the net and die, because he had to fly to the net using his arms and body.

From what I read he's made over 18000 jumps. He knows how to get where he wants to go when sky diving I guess.

If you want to see it :

I'm not jumping out of an airplane or anything else at any height unless as Chris says, that's the only way to live. That's just not on my to do list. If I joined the army or marines, I would not want to be a paratrooper. And I just don't get those who do terribly dangerous things: Aikins, Evil Knieval, knife throwing at real people acts, high wire acts without a net, etc. Such people must have some kind of subconscious death wish.

Congrats on your jump though. I DO understand people who do things like that for adventure and at least it isn't so terribly life threatening. Our daughter did it too, but blessedly she didn't tell us until it was already done.

If you want to see it :

I'm not jumping out of an airplane or anything else at any height unless as Chris says, that's the only way to live. That's just not on my to do list. If I joined the army or marines, I would not want to be a paratrooper. And I just don't get those who do terribly dangerous things: Aikins, Evil Knieval, knife throwing at real people acts, high wire acts without a net, etc. Such people must have some kind of subconscious death wish.

Congrats on your jump though. I DO understand people who do things like that for adventure and at least it isn't so terribly life threatening. Our daughter did it too, but blessedly she didn't tell us until it was already done.

Parachuting is quite exhilarating. Mind you I only did the one jump. I hyped myself up and threw myself out of a perfectly good plane and looked up to see the parachute had opened ok, then I looked down and saw the fields below me like a patchwork quilt.
For a while nothing changed, and I just hung in the sky with nothing under my feet. Then I noticed the fields were getting bigger. Eventually they started rushing up at me and I braced myself for the impact. But it still took me by surprise when the ground hit me in the feet. I had a hard landing because I came down on a runway, and I hit my head. But the crash helmet saved me.

saveliberty could you give me that ballpark price again for a 3 foot retaining wall approximately 100 feet across our back yard? It will be retaining a raised flower bed about four feet wide against a 20' concrete block wall across the back of our lot.

saveliberty could you give me that ballpark price again for a 3 foot retaining wall approximately 100 feet across our back yard? It will be retaining a raised flower bed about four feet wide against a 20' concrete block wall across the back of our lot.

Probably about $3,000 for materials and $1,750 labor. You can buy cheaper block, but they are seconds or at least lower compression block. You will notice how the cheaper ones have flaking or small round pieces that fall off easily? That is the sign of poor quality block. Pointless to spend all that labor cost and material costs only to have to rebuilding it down the road.

Probably about $3,000 for materials and $1,750 labor. You can buy cheaper block, but they are seconds or at least lower compression block. You will notice how the cheaper ones have flaking or small round pieces that fall off easily? That is the sign of poor quality block. Pointless to spend all that labor cost and material costs only to have to rebuilding it down the road.

That's pretty much the range I've been finding on the internet. Thanks friend.

That's pretty much the range I've been finding on the internet. Thanks friend.

You are welcome, thanks for the opportunity to assist.

Forum List

Back