USMB Coffee Shop IV

Haven't stopped by to say good morning in a while.

Good morning!

And good morning to you too SixFoot. You have been a missed person here.

Not sure if I feel good about being missed or if I feel bad for being missed. lol

I start college this Tuesday, so in preparation this month, I have deactivated my social site accounts, been binging on various mathematics lessons via youtube, and taken to nootropics for clarity and focus (I've also spent a stupid amount of money on supplies, holy crap!!). A little nervous here, as it's been 18 years since I last sat in such a classroom.

I think I'll be here more often, for a while at least. :beer:

:) We'll take you however you feel. :)

And we will be pleased to go through your new adventure with you. Our Montrovant is also working on a way to do college work after a long delay as well. And kudos for your bravery to take on a really big challenge.

Hopefully Montrovant is doing better than I am. lol I'm starting at the bottom-most classes for the first two sessions. I can't cut a single corner if I'm gonna go from Infaneer to Mathematician. Should work out for the better though, since these remedial classes will host more people that are my age. It will help with the transition back into an academic-type atmosphere. It's just gonna be harder to cram in the extra classes in the same four year time hack.

Montro is a math whiz so the two of you should collaborate. He's starting from scratch too and is having a tough time getting a program that fits his needs though as he needs to do mostly on line courses in his situation. It will be tough for both of you thinking of my own college coursework long out of high school. It is sometimes difficult to redevelop those study habits, memorizing skills, etc. and there is so much more sociopolitical influence to be adapted to these days, but I'm betting both you and he are going to do just fine.

Heh, I'm not a math whiz. I'm also doing very little math in my chosen degree, just one or two general education courses.

I'm also not planning on a 4 year degree. I don't think I have that kind of time.

I'm currently waiting to find out about my financial aid eligibility. The last school I tried for had me eligible for both a federal and state grant, and this new school is also in-state, so I'm hoping I will be eligible for the same grants at this new one. That would cover the lion's share of my costs. If I decide to try and get a bachelor's after I'm done with the associates, I don't think I'll be able to get the same grant money and will have to find a way to pay for it myself. Of course, I have no idea what I would need or use the bachelor's for. I haven't looked into it. :)

The talent show isstill going on at the park. Daisy and I were there this morning, but we had to leave due to illness. Daisy must have been fed something that disagrees with her. She has a poopy butt and has endured a bath to clean her up and a bowl of white rice and cubed chicken meat to lube the way for a brighter tomorrow.

Someone dropped off a bass drum from the Al Koran Shrine band. They left it at the print shop which has become a de facto depository for Masonic and Shrine memorabilia.

Pop was in the Shrine band. He was a drummer, playing a conga. Pop wore a fake beard and a fez and special shoes that started out as wing tips, but were modified by a cobbler with a big curly toe cap and gold spray paint. A stripped Arabic costume completed the scene.

The Shrine band was not just a fixture in local parades. It was a feature no young boy could look away from. Not anymore than that same young boy could look away from a parade of elephants followed by a steam calliope. They played recorders that sounded like kazoos. 'WEEN NÉE NÉE NÉE' as loud as humanly endurable. 'BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!' sounded the drug section.

Low on melody, lower on rythmn but high on volume and costumed pageantry, the Shrine band was a sight to see. The drum major was my Uncle Ducky. Ducky was a big man, 6'5" and 250 pounds, Ducky was hard to ignore. Ducky, striped to the waist, lathered in makeup and beard and fez lead the band while swinging a scimitar around his head like a man possessed. I knew and loved Uncle Ducky, but the sight of him in his Shriner glory swinging that sword always made me just a little apprehensive.

Other Shrine groups rode beautiful horses. Some drove miniature Corvettes or mini bikes. All tossed candy to the crowds along the parade route. But the band was a mixture of showmanship, musical ineptitude and panache like no other Shrine unit I've seen.

Last edited:
And good morning to you too SixFoot. You have been a missed person here.

Not sure if I feel good about being missed or if I feel bad for being missed. lol

I start college this Tuesday, so in preparation this month, I have deactivated my social site accounts, been binging on various mathematics lessons via youtube, and taken to nootropics for clarity and focus (I've also spent a stupid amount of money on supplies, holy crap!!). A little nervous here, as it's been 18 years since I last sat in such a classroom.

I think I'll be here more often, for a while at least. :beer:

:) We'll take you however you feel. :)

And we will be pleased to go through your new adventure with you. Our Montrovant is also working on a way to do college work after a long delay as well. And kudos for your bravery to take on a really big challenge.

Hopefully Montrovant is doing better than I am. lol I'm starting at the bottom-most classes for the first two sessions. I can't cut a single corner if I'm gonna go from Infaneer to Mathematician. Should work out for the better though, since these remedial classes will host more people that are my age. It will help with the transition back into an academic-type atmosphere. It's just gonna be harder to cram in the extra classes in the same four year time hack.

Montro is a math whiz so the two of you should collaborate. He's starting from scratch too and is having a tough time getting a program that fits his needs though as he needs to do mostly on line courses in his situation. It will be tough for both of you thinking of my own college coursework long out of high school. It is sometimes difficult to redevelop those study habits, memorizing skills, etc. and there is so much more sociopolitical influence to be adapted to these days, but I'm betting both you and he are going to do just fine.

Heh, I'm not a math whiz. I'm also doing very little math in my chosen degree, just one or two general education courses.

I'm also not planning on a 4 year degree. I don't think I have that kind of time.

I'm currently waiting to find out about my financial aid eligibility. The last school I tried for had me eligible for both a federal and state grant, and this new school is also in-state, so I'm hoping I will be eligible for the same grants at this new one. That would cover the lion's share of my costs. If I decide to try and get a bachelor's after I'm done with the associates, I don't think I'll be able to get the same grant money and will have to find a way to pay for it myself. Of course, I have no idea what I would need or use the bachelor's for. I haven't looked into it. :)

Just based on your posts over these many months, my perception is that you have a strong aptitude for math. That doesn't mean you will necessarily choose it for a career, but you definitely show the interest in and solve the math quizzes usually a bit more quickly and accurately than most of the rest of us. So don't sell yourself short.

The talent show isstill going on at the park. Daisy and I were there this morning, but we had to leave due to illness. Daisy must have been fed something that disagrees with her. She has a poopy butt and has endured a bath to clean her up and a bowl of white rice and cubed chicken meat to lube the way for a brighter tomorrow.

Someone dropped off a bass drum from the Al Koran Shrine band. They left it at the print shop which has become a de facto depository for Masonic and Shrine memorabilia.

Pop was in the Shrine band. He was a drummer, playing a conga. Pop wore a fake beard and a fez and special shoes that started out as wing tips, but were modified by a cobbler with a big curly toe cap and gold spray paint. A stripped Arabic costume completed the scene.

The Shrine band was not just a fixture in local parades. It was a feature no young boy could look away from. Not anymore than that same young boy could look away from a parade of elephants followed by a steam calliope. They played recorders that sounded like kazoos. 'WEEN NÉE NÉE NÉE' as loud as humanly endurable. 'BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!' sounded the drug section.

Low on melody, lower on rythmn but high on volume and costumed pageantry, the Shrine band was a sight to see. The drum major was my Uncle Ducky. Ducky was a big man, 6'5" and 250 pounds, Ducky was hard to ignore. Ducky, striped to the waist, lathered in makeup and beard and fez lead the band while swinging a scimitar around his head like a man possessed. I knew and loved Uncle Ducky, but the sight of him in his Shriner glory swinging that sword always made me just a little apprehensive.

Other Shrine groups rode beautiful horses. Some drove miniature Corvettes or mini bikes. All tossed candy to the crowds along the parade route. But the band was a mixture of showmanship, musical ineptitude and panache like no other Shrine unit I've seen.

You make me actually see what you're writing Nosmo. I love it.

No
Getting everything cleaned up, making sure the travel list (what to bring) is complete and will pack up for tomorrow's trip up to Colorado Springs. Have to remind the wife (and myself) that it's only for 3 days so only bring what we need and use for 3 days. :D

566581_1288016716757_full.jpg

No.......

Made it up here without much incident other than a warning ticket coming into Corrizozo, 11 miles over the limit...... oops......
I'm pretty burnt from the drive even thought he wife drove some of it.

No
Getting everything cleaned up, making sure the travel list (what to bring) is complete and will pack up for tomorrow's trip up to Colorado Springs. Have to remind the wife (and myself) that it's only for 3 days so only bring what we need and use for 3 days. :D

566581_1288016716757_full.jpg

No.......

181g5b.jpg
Almost 40 years ago pot started to make me paranoid, not really all that uncommon, I quit. Around 30 years ago I quit drinking, decided I could have more fun sober. :thup:

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition and their Moki,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Sea Glass Beach, California

amazing-unusual-beaches-5-1.jpg

Love that pic. I posted it at some time or another in one of those pic threads. :)

Ah I think I know where that is, around Fort Bragg. Not from being there but reading about it. I know a marvelous spot for sea glass on the beach of Inverness in Cape Breton. What stories they have.

Cape Breton. . .that's in Nova Scotia? I've never been to that part of the world, New England and on up the Canadian Atlantic coast, but I've always wanted to go there. But it is interesting that sea glass is not just a California thing.

Oh no, there's always been a ton of ship traffic in that area too, but you need exactly the right current flow to bring it in. Out at my spot in Inverness, you go a mile or two up or down the road, and you get nothing.

Cape Breton is the northeastern island that sits off the mainland, or basically as far as you can drive a car towards Europe before you hit the Atlantic Ocean. Which looks like this:

View attachment 87344

(That would be Highlands Provincial Park, which takes up a big chunk of the northern tip)​

Until the causeway bridge was built in the 1950s it was quite isolated -- more so than now -- and as a result of the Highland Clearances in Scotland, where Scottish Catholics were kicked off their land and settled here, their Scottish traditions held on and prospered, so much so that today people come from Scotland to Cape Breton to find out what their own heritage is.

That's what I go for -- the music. Some of the most deeply primal straight from the heart music I've ever heard. I've been there four times.

Anyway, yes where there's a history of seafaring and the currents are just right, sea glass washes up. There's a list of places for the intrepid traveler seeking baubles, including one here in Carolina.

But is the lovely photo you posted reversed? Seems to me the ocean should be on the right (east) side of the land mass? Or am I not visualizing it correctly?

Think it looks the same...identical.

Love that pic. I posted it at some time or another in one of those pic threads. :)

Ah I think I know where that is, around Fort Bragg. Not from being there but reading about it. I know a marvelous spot for sea glass on the beach of Inverness in Cape Breton. What stories they have.

Cape Breton. . .that's in Nova Scotia? I've never been to that part of the world, New England and on up the Canadian Atlantic coast, but I've always wanted to go there. But it is interesting that sea glass is not just a California thing.

Oh no, there's always been a ton of ship traffic in that area too, but you need exactly the right current flow to bring it in. Out at my spot in Inverness, you go a mile or two up or down the road, and you get nothing.

Cape Breton is the northeastern island that sits off the mainland, or basically as far as you can drive a car towards Europe before you hit the Atlantic Ocean. Which looks like this:

View attachment 87344

(That would be Highlands Provincial Park, which takes up a big chunk of the northern tip)​

Until the causeway bridge was built in the 1950s it was quite isolated -- more so than now -- and as a result of the Highland Clearances in Scotland, where Scottish Catholics were kicked off their land and settled here, their Scottish traditions held on and prospered, so much so that today people come from Scotland to Cape Breton to find out what their own heritage is.

That's what I go for -- the music. Some of the most deeply primal straight from the heart music I've ever heard. I've been there four times.

Anyway, yes where there's a history of seafaring and the currents are just right, sea glass washes up. There's a list of places for the intrepid traveler seeking baubles, including one here in Carolina.

But is the lovely photo you posted reversed? Seems to me the ocean should be on the right (east) side of the land mass? Or am I not visualizing it correctly?

No, the photo Pogo posted is on the opposite side of the continent in Nova Scotia. You probably have to click on the link to see it.

View attachment 87344

No, the photo Pogo posted is on the opposite side of the continent in Nova Scotia. You probably have to click on the link to see it.

Oh. Well, I am confused now.

I used to smoke pot many moons ago. For people who need it for pain, I can see it. But to sit around all damn day and stay stoned....is weird. Kinda like an alcoholic that needs a crutch 24/7.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Odd. That might be the first "pot controversy" I've ever started, short lived as it may have been. lol

Odd. That might be the first "pot controversy" I've ever started, short lived as it may have been. lol
I have no problem with people smokin' pot just as I have no problem with people drinking alcohol as long as it's done in a safe, responsible manner, not that it always is....... People are people, such is life. :lol:

Forum List

Back