USMB Coffee Shop IV

Made it up here without much incident other than a warning ticket coming into Corrizozo, 11 miles over the limit...... oops......
I'm pretty burnt from the drive even thought he wife drove some of it.

You went through Carrizozo to get from El Paso to Colorado Springs? You guys do live a different sort of life don't you.

Cape Breton. . .that's in Nova Scotia? I've never been to that part of the world, New England and on up the Canadian Atlantic coast, but I've always wanted to go there. But it is interesting that sea glass is not just a California thing.

Oh no, there's always been a ton of ship traffic in that area too, but you need exactly the right current flow to bring it in. Out at my spot in Inverness, you go a mile or two up or down the road, and you get nothing.

Cape Breton is the northeastern island that sits off the mainland, or basically as far as you can drive a car towards Europe before you hit the Atlantic Ocean. Which looks like this:

View attachment 87344

(That would be Highlands Provincial Park, which takes up a big chunk of the northern tip)​

Until the causeway bridge was built in the 1950s it was quite isolated -- more so than now -- and as a result of the Highland Clearances in Scotland, where Scottish Catholics were kicked off their land and settled here, their Scottish traditions held on and prospered, so much so that today people come from Scotland to Cape Breton to find out what their own heritage is.

That's what I go for -- the music. Some of the most deeply primal straight from the heart music I've ever heard. I've been there four times.

Anyway, yes where there's a history of seafaring and the currents are just right, sea glass washes up. There's a list of places for the intrepid traveler seeking baubles, including one here in Carolina.

But is the lovely photo you posted reversed? Seems to me the ocean should be on the right (east) side of the land mass? Or am I not visualizing it correctly?

Think it looks the same...identical.

No, the photo Pogo posted is on the opposite side of the continent in Nova Scotia. You probably have to click on the link to see it.

Oh. Well, I am confused now.

No biggie. He quoted my post with the sea glass beach and included a photo of the area in Nova Scotia that he was mentioning. But when I responded to his post, the photo he posted shows up as a link instead of a photo. Easy to overlook.

Oh and good morning and Merry Monday everybody. Our new dishwasher was just delivered (the old one died) and our favorite HVAC and plumbing guy will be here to install it within the next 24 hours. It is required that a licensed plumber do that here, not that Hombre would likely tackle it anyway with his bad back and hip. We are looking forward to it though. Once you get used to having one, having to hand wash ALL the dishes, especially when you have company, is a pain. My sister goes home later today. It will be strange just Hombre and me being here. No human house guests. No mini doxie. But that too shall pass I'm sure.

Oh no, there's always been a ton of ship traffic in that area too, but you need exactly the right current flow to bring it in. Out at my spot in Inverness, you go a mile or two up or down the road, and you get nothing.

Cape Breton is the northeastern island that sits off the mainland, or basically as far as you can drive a car towards Europe before you hit the Atlantic Ocean. Which looks like this:

View attachment 87344

(That would be Highlands Provincial Park, which takes up a big chunk of the northern tip)​

Until the causeway bridge was built in the 1950s it was quite isolated -- more so than now -- and as a result of the Highland Clearances in Scotland, where Scottish Catholics were kicked off their land and settled here, their Scottish traditions held on and prospered, so much so that today people come from Scotland to Cape Breton to find out what their own heritage is.

That's what I go for -- the music. Some of the most deeply primal straight from the heart music I've ever heard. I've been there four times.

Anyway, yes where there's a history of seafaring and the currents are just right, sea glass washes up. There's a list of places for the intrepid traveler seeking baubles, including one here in Carolina.

But is the lovely photo you posted reversed? Seems to me the ocean should be on the right (east) side of the land mass? Or am I not visualizing it correctly?

No, the photo Pogo posted is on the opposite side of the continent in Nova Scotia. You probably have to click on the link to see it.

No biggie. He quoted my post with the sea glass beach and included a photo of the area in Nova Scotia that he was mentioning. But when I responded to his post, the photo he posted shows up as a link instead of a photo. Easy to overlook.

Uploading photos in this message board is still kind of an enigma. When I do it, my own pictures don't even show up until I turn off AdBlock. It actually thinks I'm advertising to myself. :cuckoo:

Oh and good morning and Merry Monday everybody. Our new dishwasher was just delivered (the old one died) and our favorite HVAC and plumbing guy will be here to install it within the next 24 hours. It is required that a licensed plumber do that here, not that Hombre would likely tackle it anyway with his bad back and hip. We are looking forward to it though. Once you get used to having one, having to hand wash ALL the dishes, especially when you have company, is a pain. My sister goes home later today. It will be strange just Hombre and me being here. No human house guests. No mini doxie. But that too shall pass I'm sure.

I hand wash almost all the dishes here. I've been hand washing dishes for at least 15 years now. It actually started because of a roommate I lived with in a place without a functioning dishwasher. I didn't want to wash his dishes and so I got in the habit of washing mine as soon as I finished using them, and it's carried over. Now I do it because, once the little one started going to school, I felt I needed to be more useful around the house to make up for the time I wasn't taking care of her.

Uploading photos in this message board is still kind of an enigma. When I do it, my own pictures don't even show up until I turn off AdBlock. It actually thinks I'm advertising to myself. :cuckoo:

I have adblock but it doesn't give me that kind of problems. But I have had the phenomena of photos not showing up when I post them.

I hand wash almost all the dishes here. I've been hand washing dishes for at least 15 years now. It actually started because of a roommate I lived with in a place without a functioning dishwasher. I didn't want to wash his dishes and so I got in the habit of washing mine as soon as I finished using them, and it's carried over. Now I do it because, once the little one started going to school, I felt I needed to be more useful around the house to make up for the time I wasn't taking care of her.

I don't mind doing them all that much but we entertain a lot and our guests are bothered leaving dishes to do later after a meal and I sure don't want to do dishes when I would rather be visiting with them. They want to help of course but it still puts a chink in the party. Not so if they are placed in a dishwasher. And in truth we don't always feel like doing them right away and we don't like leaving dirty dishes in the sink either. And later on when we sell this house, a dishwasher is pretty necessary these days.

We got a lot done this morning....giving our banks our new addresses, ordering checks with the new address, buying some oil for my van, some stool softener from the vet for Moki, who is STILL being a trooper but the pumpkin is no longer doing what I wanted it to do and in general....Stuff That Needed Done.

In about an hour, I go to the eye doc and FINALLY get my glasses! I have gone almost 3 weeks now with no glasses on my face at all....first time since I was in 7th grade! It's kinda nice for far away, but up close, I am in a constant squint even with this 38" monitor/tv. Up close viewing is not that slick. Anyway...I look forward to seeing better and no eye strain and headaches any more. W00T!

I don't mind doing them all that much but we entertain a lot and our guests are bothered leaving dishes to do later after a meal and I sure don't want to do dishes when I would rather be visiting with them. They want to help of course but it still puts a chink in the party. Not so if they are placed in a dishwasher. And in truth we don't always feel like doing them right away and we don't like leaving dirty dishes in the sink either. And later on when we sell this house, a dishwasher is pretty necessary these days.

I'm not very social, and when there are a lot of people here, it's not because I invited them. :p So if I'm doing dishes for a gathering, it's my employer's friends/relatives and I can go ahead and do dishes instead of socialize. When I'm not doing the dishes I'm probably in my room anyway (unless there are a lot of small children, then I might be playing with some of them).

Made it up here without much incident other than a warning ticket coming into Corrizozo, 11 miles over the limit...... oops......

You went through Carrizozo to get from El Paso to Colorado Springs? You guys do live a different sort of life don't you.
Taking Rte 54 up to Romeroville rather than I 25 all the way up cuts about an hour off the travel time. As for the return trip we may come back via I 25 and stop over in Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

Taking Rte 54 up to Romeroville rather than I 25 all the way up cuts about an hour off the travel time. As for the return trip we may come back via I 25 and stop over in Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

I'm thinking all that two lane from Alamogordo on vs 75 mph on the Interstate. But I've never driven from El Paso to the springs either so you could be right.

I'm thinking all that two lane from Alamogordo on vs 75 mph on the Interstate. But I've never driven from El Paso to the springs either so you could be right.
Who says we don't do 75 on the two lanes........ :eusa_whistle:
:D
There are some slow spots but it is faster as the stretch from Santa Fe to Las Vegas is cut off not to mention it's a prettier drive. :thup:

Tomorrow morning is the hearing, won't know what the final decision will be for 2 to 4 weeks then about a month before we start seeing any money. The prospect for a successful hearing looks very good.

Sadly Daisy's digestive problems have run into a third day. She has been constipated since Saturday afternoon. I fed her our family remedy of white rice and canned chicken meat. She has gobbled that down since Sunday morning. But she has refused all other food, even her beloved 'cookies', Marrowbone brand dog biscuits.

I fear that I am loading a musket, and when the flint strikes the steel, the explosion will be massive. We went to the park, but she struggled to go. She just got out of the tub where she endured her second bath in as many days. Her butt was caked, but full evacuation isn't in the cards.

Someone at the park suggested a bit of sweet potato or pumpkin. I guess that's to provide maximum fiber. I know you Coffee Shoppers have had experience with dogs. Any suggestions? Daisy and I would dearly appreciate it!

Sadly Daisy's digestive problems have run into a third day. She has been constipated since Saturday afternoon. I fed her our family remedy of white rice and canned chicken meat. She has gobbled that down since Sunday morning. But she has refused all other food, even her beloved 'cookies', Marrowbone brand dog biscuits.

I fear that I am loading a musket, and when the flint strikes the steel, the explosion will be massive. We went to the park, but she struggled to go. She just got out of the tub where she endured her second bath in as many days. Her butt was caked, but full evacuation isn't in the cards.

Someone at the park suggested a bit of sweet potato or pumpkin. I guess that's to provide maximum fiber. I know you Coffee Shoppers have had experience with dogs. Any suggestions? Daisy and I would dearly appreciate it!

Alas, I can't help with that one Nosmo. With all our fur babies over the years, I don't think we have encountered that particular problem. Perhaps the vet would have a good idea?

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition and their Moki,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Royal Gorge Bridge, Colorado Springs CO

amazing_places_12.jpg

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition and their Moki,
Montrovant's transition,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, 007, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Royal Gorge Bridge, Colorado Springs CO

amazing_places_12.jpg

whoaaaaaa wonder if I can hold my breath long enough to get across that one. Me no likey big bridges much.

Forum List

Back