USMB Coffee Shop IV

If I were younger and saved up more, 007, I would have done that. Being married to a mule head didn't help. I told him years ago I needed help in adding to our savings for our retirement. He woulndt listen, and now most of it is gone.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app
Bummer, Gracie. I sure hope you guys can find a place to reside and be safe.

See, the reason I want to stick to this county is because I have full coverage...meds, docs, ER, and my meds are paid too. Leaving this county...or the state..I have to start all over again. And MrG will lose the 134 bucks that medi-cal pays for him on his SS. Plus, the monetary benefits we would lose in other assistance we get. Leave this county...all that goes out the window..which makes us more poor financially than we already are. But living in this county is high in rent, too. See our dilemma now? Always a catch 22 thing going on. If only we could find a room to rent here, we could survive. Barely, but still do it. Problem is...nobody will rent to two old fogies and an old dog. Even with superb references, good credit. Dump the spouse, dump the dog...no problem. But I ain't dumping them and they aren't dumping me...hence the irritation I exhibit from time to time.

Therefore on to plan jkl....and when those pan out plans mno. And on and on until something finally breaks and we get a place. If ever. Still...I have the van. Things could be worse if I didn't have that.

Wisconsin has a thing called Badgercare, and it covers medical for anyone that has an income below a certain point, or none at all, and we have subsidized housing where you pay a small percentage of your income, whatever your income may be, I think it's 17%. You could probably both get SS up here too if you're old enough, and you could live warm and dry on that and not go hungry and have a little cash left over to do something for fun.

I'm just throwing ideas out there... Cal isn't the only place that has assistance for people.
Wisconsin is very far from us. The little funds we have left would make us flat broke to make such a move. But I do appreciate you advice and assistance. I won't forget it.

I am 64...MrG is 69. We survive on our SS. Here, they charge 30% of our income for housing, so the waiting list we are on will only charge us 450.00 per month for a 1 bedroom. Problem is, boomers are now all retiring and that wait list is extremely long. Plus most states make new residents be residents for one year before they can get benefits.

On top of that, when I turned 62, that was the first time I swallowed my pride and said OK to temp help by accepting food stamps. They made an error on our income and now we have to pay them back 2400.00 due to their mistake that they admitted was on their end but reminded us that we signed a paper that if any mistakes they made would still be our responsibility. We stopped the stamps when I turned 64 and got my SS. That is when they discovered the error. So we pay them 100 per month until it is paid back. Recently they told us to get back on the stamps and they would withhold 50 from our allotment...which means we no longer have to send them the 100 bucks. It is taken out of it every month. Instead of using the stamp card...we just let them take waht they want. Once it is paid, we may or may not use the stamps, but I doubt it. I don't trust them. They may make another mistake. And I loathe handouts although I paid into the system from working all my life.
Anyway..if we leave this county or the state...there goes another 100 bucks per month again. Plus, medi-cal pays the 134 bucks on MrG's SS they take out of his monthly check. Taxes or whatever it is...we leave, he loses that payment made for him and we are 134 bucks poorer. Add the 100 bucks from what foodstamps they claim they oberpaid...that is 234 bucks less than what we make now. Between the two of us, we only pull in 1200.00 per month. Being property managers doesn't show much when retired. We got free rent and utilities, but had to work outside the job for suppliment income...bit we couldn't work full time either because managing means being at the apts at least 8 hours a day. One of us had to be there.

We just didn't tuck enough away. In short, we were stupid in that.

We do the best we can with what we have left...good credit, integrity, honesty. We are just poor, but not bad people.

I have my whiney moments, because this is a hard lesson. And no extra income from painting furniture with my art like I have been doing for years. I got old. The RA did a number on my hands and I can no longer do intricate design art by holding a brush and our little stash we have left for emergencies...like dental, car repair, dog needing to see the vet, etc...that stash is dwindling quickly. So, we have to really be careful now. Moving to another state, starting all over again being soon 65 and 70 years old, etc..it's just not in the cards.

See, the reason I want to stick to this county is because I have full coverage...meds, docs, ER, and my meds are paid too. Leaving this county...or the state..I have to start all over again. And MrG will lose the 134 bucks that medi-cal pays for him on his SS. Plus, the monetary benefits we would lose in other assistance we get. Leave this county...all that goes out the window..which makes us more poor financially than we already are. But living in this county is high in rent, too. See our dilemma now? Always a catch 22 thing going on. If only we could find a room to rent here, we could survive. Barely, but still do it. Problem is...nobody will rent to two old fogies and an old dog. Even with superb references, good credit. Dump the spouse, dump the dog...no problem. But I ain't dumping them and they aren't dumping me...hence the irritation I exhibit from time to time.

Therefore on to plan jkl....and when those pan out plans mno. And on and on until something finally breaks and we get a place. If ever. Still...I have the van. Things could be worse if I didn't have that.

Wisconsin has a thing called Badgercare, and it covers medical for anyone that has an income below a certain point, or none at all, and we have subsidized housing where you pay a small percentage of your income, whatever your income may be, I think it's 17%. You could probably both get SS up here too if you're old enough, and you could live warm and dry on that and not go hungry and have a little cash left over to do something for fun.

I'm just throwing ideas out there... Cal isn't the only place that has assistance for people.
Wisconsin is very far from us. The little funds we have left would make us flat broke to make such a move. But I do appreciate you advice and assistance. I won't forget it.

I am 64...MrG is 69. We survive on our SS. Here, they charge 30% of our income for housing, so the waiting list we are on will only charge us 450.00 per month for a 1 bedroom. Problem is, boomers are now all retiring and that wait list is extremely long. Plus most states make new residents be residents for one year before they can get benefits.

On top of that, when I turned 62, that was the first time I swallowed my pride and said OK to temp help by accepting food stamps. They made an error on our income and now we have to pay them back 2400.00 due to their mistake that they admitted was on their end but reminded us that we signed a paper that if any mistakes they made would still be our responsibility. We stopped the stamps when I turned 64 and got my SS. That is when they discovered the error. So we pay them 100 per month until it is paid back. Recently they told us to get back on the stamps and they would withhold 50 from our allotment...which means we no longer have to send them the 100 bucks. It is taken out of it every month. Instead of using the stamp card...we just let them take waht they want. Once it is paid, we may or may not use the stamps, but I doubt it. I don't trust them. They may make another mistake. And I loathe handouts although I paid into the system from working all my life.
Anyway..if we leave this county or the state...there goes another 100 bucks per month again. Plus, medi-cal pays the 134 bucks on MrG's SS they take out of his monthly check. Taxes or whatever it is...we leave, he loses that payment made for him and we are 134 bucks poorer. Add the 100 bucks from what foodstamps they claim they oberpaid...that is 234 bucks less than what we make now. Between the two of us, we only pull in 1200.00 per month. Being property managers doesn't show much when retired. We got free rent and utilities, but had to work outside the job for suppliment income...bit we couldn't work full time either because managing means being at the apts at least 8 hours a day. One of us had to be there.

We just didn't tuck enough away. In short, we were stupid in that.

We do the best we can with what we have left...good credit, integrity, honesty. We are just poor, but not bad people.

I have my whiney moments, because this is a hard lesson. And no extra income from painting furniture with my art like I have been doing for years. I got old. The RA did a number on my hands and I can no longer do intricate design art by holding a brush and our little stash we have left for emergencies...like dental, car repair, dog needing to see the vet, etc...that stash is dwindling quickly. So, we have to really be careful now. Moving to another state, starting all over again being soon 65 and 70 years old, etc..it's just not in the cards.

Damn... I really hate to hear about good people so down on their luck. It can happen to anyone. My prayers are with you way out there in CAL. I have a cousin in LA, and had a great aunt there too until she passed away, my grandpaw's sister. I sure spent my share of time wandering around out west but I realized it was way too expensive. Money doesn't go very far there.

232579-Hope-Your-Week-Isn-t-Dragon-Happy-Wednesday.jpg

Back from the hospital on day three of Hombre's incarceration there. He is better, but because he is not as improved as he should be, I'm guessing they won't send him home tomorrow as he had hoped. We've certainly been apart now and then in the past but the house seems unusually empty. This too shall pass.
I'm sorry for Hombre :(
I hope he can get well as soon as possible :smiliehug:

Good morning everybody. Just finishing up some shredded mini wheats and then off to the hospital and see what the day will bring. I so want Hombre to come home but if he isn't able to take care of himself--these severe UTIs make the guys very very weak and he has fallen twice now and can't get himself up without help from two people. If that happened at home, there is no way I could help him. He needs to be stronger when they release him, so I don't know what to expect now.

Anyhow thank you all so much for your prayers and positive vibes. They do make a difference.

Good morning everybody. Just finishing up some shredded mini wheats and then off to the hospital and see what the day will bring. I so want Hombre to come home but if he isn't able to take care of himself--these severe UTIs make the guys very very weak and he has fallen twice now and can't get himself up without help from two people. If that happened at home, there is no way I could help him. He needs to be stronger when they release him, so I don't know what to expect now.

Anyhow thank you all so much for your prayers and positive vibes. They do make a difference.

Yes it really does take it out of them.
He definatly needs to get stronger before he should be released.

Well Gracie I really think that there was a reason AZ. didn't work out for you.
You have water in your soul, in your bones and would have been very unhappy in a hot, very dry climate and over a 2 hour drive to any large size body of water. :)

Colder'n frozen snot up nort' here in Wisconsin. Not complaining though, after all it is December. Need the driveway to freeze anyway, otherwise the heavy snowblower on the front of the John Deere digs into the gravel.

Got bad acid reflux this morning... tuna fish in olive oil ever give anyone else acid reflux?

Colder'n frozen snot up nort' here in Wisconsin. Not complaining though, after all it is December. Need the driveway to freeze anyway, otherwise the heavy snowblower on the front of the John Deere digs into the gravel.

Got bad acid reflux this morning... tuna fish in olive oil ever give anyone else acid reflux?

It's never given me reflux issues.....but I would never eat that. :p

Some things that trigger reflux problems can be weird, though. Have you tried tuna without the olive oil, just to try and determine if it's just one or the other causing you problems?

Well It's now 5.20 AM in Britain, I still can't sleep and I have filled an hour with tweeting on twitter. Another half an hour and the days television starts up at 6 AM. There is a Charles Bronson action film on at six so I will have something to occupy my mind.
"THEN CAME BRONSON?" I used to watch that show all the time.

Your TV programming isn't on all night?

Yes there is some TV all night, but the film channels close down for a few hours, and start again at 6 AM. The film I watched was an old Bronson movie called ' machine gun kelly'

I've been wondering about something... why haven't they given the person who discovered bacon the Nobel Peace Prize? Think about it. Given the chance, bacon could unite the world into a sphere of total peace and harmony.

I've been wondering about something... why haven't they given the person who discovered bacon the Nobel Peace Prize? Think about it. Given the chance, bacon could unite the world into a sphere of total peace and harmony.

I agree completely BBD. And I read awhile back that bacon has been given an unfair bad rap and is actually good for us. Mind you it was just one study but they cited as 'scientific'. And I just recently read the results of another study that aged cheese increases longevity in mice and therefore presumably humans. So now they just have to give us the green light on ground beef and bacon cheeseburgers will be classified health food.

The darndest things can trigger it. I take an OTC omeprazole (Prilosec) every morning and can pretty much eat anything though I don't tolerate extra spicy food since I lost my gallbladder.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Yes. And no. I eat tuna, but not a lot of it. Half a sandwich which takes half a small can, packed in oil. Tuna packed in water is too dry...and gross. But like I said...I dont eat a lot of it because sometimes I get the reflux, sometimes not.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Well It's now 5.20 AM in Britain, I still can't sleep and I have filled an hour with tweeting on twitter. Another half an hour and the days television starts up at 6 AM. There is a Charles Bronson action film on at six so I will have something to occupy my mind.
"THEN CAME BRONSON?" I used to watch that show all the time.

Your TV programming isn't on all night?

Yes there is some TV all night, but the film channels close down for a few hours, and start again at 6 AM. The film I watched was an old Bronson movie called ' machine gun kelly'

When we first got television, almost all channels went off at midnight and came on around 7 a.m. They all signed off with the National Anthem and usually military planes zooming throught he sky to some kind of inspirational poetry. But that was long ago.

There was one presumably true story in Kansas where two I think mayoral candidates were each given an hours time to address the public--they drew straws to see who got the 10 pm hour and who got the 11 pm hour.

The guy at 10 pm filled the last 10 minutes of his presentation with the national anthem, planes zooming through the air, inspirational poetry etc. Most of the TV audience thought the station was going off the air and turned off their sets so the 11 pm guy had almost nobody. Not sure how that was resolved. :)

Forum List

Back