USMB Coffee Shop IV

Got cold here last night, low 30s it's warming up quickly though, in the upper 50s already. Boo appears to be slowly improving, still a little slow and unsteady but is much more alert and hanging out around us. Three more days of antibiotics then we'll take him in for lab work and see if anything else needs attention.

It is freezing and snowing like crazy here. I went to the grocery store this morning. What a zoo. I had to stand there and wait for like 10 minutes just to get a carriage. Once I got down to business though, I did pretty good. I was out of there in like 40-45 minutes.

It is freezing and snowing like crazy here. I went to the grocery store this morning. What a zoo. I had to stand there and wait for like 10 minutes just to get a carriage. Once I got down to business though, I did pretty good. I was out of there in like 40-45 minutes.

A carriage? I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone call it anything other than a cart. ;)

A carriage? I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone call it anything other than a cart. ;)

Maybe I'm just weird. It's a carriage for my groceries. :p

Yeah, they're carts here too, but by whatever name they are really handy gathering up groceries at the grocery store. We try to go to the store as little as possible, so when we do there is no way we could get a fraction of what we buy into one of those hand carried baskets.

Now I'm in the market for something like that to bring in the groceries from the car and to transport heavier stuff around the house. With Hombre's bad hip and my bad back and less than fully functional left wing, having some help with transporting stuff is looking more and more attractive.

Yeah, they're carts here too, but by whatever name they are really handy gathering up groceries at the grocery store. We try to go to the store as little as possible, so when we do there is no way we could get a fraction of what we buy into one of those hand carried baskets.

Now I'm in the market for something like that to bring in the groceries from the car and to transport heavier stuff around the house. With Hombre's bad hip and my bad back and less than fully functional left wing, having some help with transporting stuff is looking more and more attractive.

Oh people call them shopping carts here too. I just call them carriages, probably because my mother always did too.

Anyhow, I needed a few things so I need a "cart." :D

Oh people call them shopping carts here too. I just call them carriages, probably because my mother always did too.

Anyhow, I needed a few things so I need a "cart." :D

:) Carriage works for me. :)

Looking at the weather map, California sure doesn't look drought stricken today with rain or snow over most of the state. Northern California is looking for the storm of the century - a foot of rain at lower elevations; seven feet of snow at the higher elevations. That's going to be awful. The central coast where Gracie is will also get hit but not as hard.

I'm looking at ice covering most of Alabama, blizzard warnings at Virginia Beach. . .generally a mess up and down both coasts.

I guess we are getting off pretty lightly here.

School is paid for the semester and my books are ordered. I probably won't have them until the second or third day of classes, but hopefully that won't be too big of a deal. Today and tomorrow are the last days of my 'vacation' time. This will be my first full time semester. I don't know how much more time I'll need to spend per week than I did in the last, shortened semester I did. I'm taking 4 classes rather than 2, but the semester will be 2 times as long. On the other hand, 1 of my classes last semester was just a silly mandatory kind of class, whereas this time I'll have a couple of medical classes (medical terminology and anatomy & physiology). I'm going to see how well I do trying to follow the same basic schedule as the little one; wake up at 6:00, get the little one off to school at 6:45, then do my school work until she gets home at around 2:30. I tend to be a night person, so I'm not sure how well I'll follow that. A lot will probably depend on how much time per week I need to complete my work.

We ended up being a little too far south to get snow yesterday. There was snow just 30-60 minutes drive north of us. We got cold rain. At least the icicles which ended up forming on the trees looked nice this morning. :dunno:

It's here! The massive storm we all have been waiting for. High winds, 5 inches of rain expected.

We spent the night at the motel, got here to air out the RV before the deluge hits and are now in a currently ant free RV. Now, we hope the RV cover is waterproof and so far, no leaks...but the full brunt has not landed ashore yet...that comes within the next couple of hours....and goes on for another week. Then Another storm is behind it. Looks like two to three weeks of rain for us. Calif needs it but dayum. I keep thinking about the homeless with no cars!

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Oh, and our local news forecaster said it's gonna be a weird storm, too. Weird how? Lots and lots of rain...but temp will be upper 60s to 70s...for which I am thankful. Pineapple express, they call it. And so far...they have been right. About 60 right now and i don't need my coat...just my sweater. Whew!

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

How come people from Russia and the U.K. know more about Sherlock Holmes movies than I do?????

But then he, or the writer that created him, wasn't American was he.

Never mind. :)

:)))

As I know, Soviet version of Holmes movie cancelled all another tries "to make it in classic style close to original". It's a series in "Old Good Times" style with a great music overture ;)

I have enjoyed some Russian films in my time. There was Andrei Rublev in 1966 and Solaris in 1972
I also used to buy Sputnik magazine in the late 1960s, I thought it was quite interesting as it talked about Russian art and the space program. But my mother thought I was being brainwashed by propaganda.

Tarkovski... For a lot of thinking, not for enjoying at friday night with hamburger... :) Do you like this sort of movies, or you just haven't seen another Russian movies yet?

I didn't remember Sputnik magazine, because I'm younger... From Soviet time I remember a lot of magazines for teenagers ;) Some of them presented technics, inventions, and so on at high level, but understandable to children...They were very popular till 90s...

In 60s and later USSR had a lot of propaganda tools, but didn't use them effectively, because leaders already lost the main vision of its target. Since this time in Russia there are an enormous quantity of anecdots about this "propaganda". But instead of it, they seriously distorted history... and put a bomb under USSR too :) psss... it becomes so political, not for coffee shop, sorry :))))))))))))))

Just edging up a wee bit on political but you caught it. :)

I have to ask though. Do they have hamburgers in Russia?

Must be a Yankee thing...... :eusa_whistle:

:D

Anybody know anything about gas fireplaces. Ours won't start automatically. We have someone coming next wednesday but in the meantime, we it the pilot light and had the fireplace for awhile today but then everything started smelling like gas. We ended up turning the gas line off. Is that normal? Does it take awhile to get rid of the smell? I know my gas oven smells like gas when I first turn it on, but it goes away pretty quickly. Any ideas?
Is your fireplace a vented or an unvented unit? When you turned off the fireplace, did the pilot light stay on? Is your fireplace remote controlled?

My fireplace is vented. I ended up turning off the gas because the pilot light stayed on and the gas smell continued. They'll be here on Wed and I'll have them look at it. It's suppose to be an electrical starter but right now, if we start it, we have to use a lighter.

Decided to make burgers tonight but only had a little more than 1/2 pound so I made "meatloaf patties".
They take a little longer to cook and we don't put them on bread or buns as they already have Ritz crackers crushed up in them.
Hamburger
One egg
Salt & pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder (The wife like the taste of onion but onion doesn't agree with her)
Worcestershire sauce
About 16 Ritz crackers crushed.
Divide into four equal sized patties cook on medium heat flipping four times 3-5 minutes per side, add cheese after last flip and cook till cheese is melted.

Hallo, all! Still cold here but that's normal. I heard that Alaska is only third coldest, most miserable winter in the US. Both Minnesota and Michigan have us beat, and North Dakota is close behind us. I knew Minnesotans came up here for the good weather!
I hear the beach scene in Anchorage now rivals San Diego.
I suppose, if only we had beaches.

How come people from Russia and the U.K. know more about Sherlock Holmes movies than I do?????

But then he, or the writer that created him, wasn't American was he.

Never mind. :)

:)))

As I know, Soviet version of Holmes movie cancelled all another tries "to make it in classic style close to original". It's a series in "Old Good Times" style with a great music overture ;)

I have enjoyed some Russian films in my time. There was Andrei Rublev in 1966 and Solaris in 1972
I also used to buy Sputnik magazine in the late 1960s, I thought it was quite interesting as it talked about Russian art and the space program. But my mother thought I was being brainwashed by propaganda.

Tarkovski... For a lot of thinking, not for enjoying at friday night with hamburger... :) Do you like this sort of movies, or you just haven't seen another Russian movies yet?

I didn't remember Sputnik magazine, because I'm younger... From Soviet time I remember a lot of magazines for teenagers ;) Some of them presented technics, inventions, and so on at high level, but understandable to children...They were very popular till 90s...

In 60s and later USSR had a lot of propaganda tools, but didn't use them effectively, because leaders already lost the main vision of its target. Since this time in Russia there are an enormous quantity of anecdots about this "propaganda". But instead of it, they seriously distorted history... and put a bomb under USSR too :) psss... it becomes so political, not for coffee shop, sorry :))))))))))))))

Just edging up a wee bit on political but you caught it. :)

I have to ask though. Do they have hamburgers in Russia?

Yes, offcourse, and it's a good variant for "eat something and run again" :)

Forum List

Back