USMB Coffee Shop IV

Speaking of dogs, "Sawyer" our golden retriever has reached 74 pounds and is almost a year old.... and my grandson, "Lumpy the Little" has just turned one year old. I'd post pictures but I'm untrained or just don't do that, I can't decide..:smile:

tumblr_o1oacqBi6h1tpri36o1_500.png

Maybe watch a good movie together...if you can. Anything relaxing and calm.
Starship Troopers?

Awesome movie, for becoming more optimistic :)

It isn't fair. You're all the way over there in Russia and you've seen a lot more movies than I have. But I do love movies too. :)

:) Hollywood is a best factory of movies, in all other movie production centers there are significant percent of trash movies :) But if you're interesting of Russian movies, I can recommend you some good ones (for my taste, offcourse :)))
Me! Me! I'd like to see more Russian movies. There was a film aired last fall with a dialog in Russian and subtitles in German. I can manage both Russian and Nyemetski and found it challenging and wonderful. My two friends were asking me constantly for translation. I did the best I could.

Monday is a holiday, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. So, as I have a free Monday, I've decided to take full advantage of one of my Christmas gifts. My brother and sister-in-law gave me Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather Notebook.

If you haven't seen it in your bookstore, it's a copy of the massive notebook Coppola made to help him direct the epic film. Coppola sliced each page of Mario Puzzo's The Godfather from its binding. Then he cut larger pages of paper as if they were frames. Then he glued each page to its frame so there would be larger margins to make notes upon. His notes and insights helped him stage and direct to movie.

My plan is to put my DVD copy of The Godfather on, take my copy of The Godfather Notebook in hand and read while I watch. This is one of the very few movies I watched before I read the book. And it's one of the very few movies I enjoyed more than the book. It will be interesting to study the original book, Francis Ford Coppola's notes and his finished film.

WOW! :)
We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.
I started collecting movies by directors. John Ford, Frank Capra (I'm a sucker for 'Capricorn'), William Wyler, George Stevens. And then contemporary directors. Hal Ashly, Francis Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick.

After a while, I realized that I was only a few movies short of having all the films listed on the American Film Institute's Topp 100 list. So I finished that list.

Then I filled in some gaps genre-wise. A few great musicals, westerns, gangster flicks, comedies.

Now I have over 700 DVDs in cabinets flanking my entertainment center.

My all time favorites include, but are not exclusive to; How Green was my Valley, Bonnie and Clyde, Lawrence of Arabia, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Stagecoach, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, To Kill a Mockingbird, North by Northwest, Being There and The Wizard of Oz.

I don't believe I could call a film "classic" if I could drive myself to see it. That's just too new, even though that distinction begins with films made in the mid 1970s, to be "classic".

I have a fascination with life during wartime, Second World War time. It ended twelve years before I began, but the experiences my parents and grandparents and sainted aunts and uncles had definitely formed my character and outlook. I'm the guy who listens to Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Fibber Magee& Molly on the computer while reading an actual magazine in bed each night. I was born too late for culture.

The only movie on your list of favorites that I've actually seen is The Wizard of Oz. :p
I love watching the Wizzard of Oz with my granddaughters. We know all the words to all the songs and it invites dancing.

Update on Boo. We took him back in on Monday and he hated it, fought like a champion to stay in his carrier when the vet went to check him out. Unfortunately I think it's just a matter of time, (the vet thinks so also), he's fighting but he's starting to look fragile again, still loosing weight, she gave us some pain medication for him for two more weeks, then check him again then, two more weeks, etc........
Right now his eyes are still clear and he's still eating (a very little bit) and drinking water. Basically the vet thinks he has active blood cancer and there's no real cure at this stage.
Sorry to see this. It is only a matter of time. You will spend it well with Boo, no doubt. Love him now, and mourn him when his time comes. Remember, he will be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. Those of us who are fortunate to have our loving companions waiting for us...well, that makes whatever might come after extra special.

We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.
I started collecting movies by directors. John Ford, Frank Capra (I'm a sucker for 'Capricorn'), William Wyler, George Stevens. And then contemporary directors. Hal Ashly, Francis Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick.

After a while, I realized that I was only a few movies short of having all the films listed on the American Film Institute's Topp 100 list. So I finished that list.

Then I filled in some gaps genre-wise. A few great musicals, westerns, gangster flicks, comedies.

My all time favorites include, but are not exclusive to; How Green was my Valley, Bonnie and Clyde, Lawrence of Arabia, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Stagecoach, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, To Kill a Mockingbird, North by Northwest, Being There and The Wizard of Oz.

I don't believe I could call a film "classic" if I could drive myself to see it. That's just too new, even though that distinction begins with films made in the mid 1970s, to be "classic".

I have a fascination with life during wartime, Second World War time. It ended twelve years before I began, but the experiences my parents and grandparents and sainted aunts and uncles had definitely formed my character and outlook. I'm the guy who listens to Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Fibber Magee& Molly on the computer while reading an actual magazine in bed each night. I was born too late for culture.

The only movie on your list of favorites that I've actually seen is The Wizard of Oz. :p
I love watching the Wizzard of Oz with my granddaughters. We know all the words to all the songs and it invites dancing.
I have a friend with a five year old grand daughter whose parents won't let her watch The Wizard of Oz. They think it's too scary for her. I think that's ridiculous, but I can't say so.

I have a friend with a five year old grand daughter whose parents won't let her watch The Wizard of Oz. They think it's too scary for her. I think that's ridiculous, but I can't say so.
The brother next to me couldn't watch WOZ because it was too scary for him, for years! I wonder what he thought of it before he died? I suppose parts could be too intense for some sensitive children.

Last night was BRUTAL!! I was working from the moment I walked in to the time I finally finished my paperwork and left. I accumulated 2 hours overtime (a 12-hr day) because the freezing fog required warming and scraping engine fan blades. I'm dead tired and could barely walk earlier. At least feeding, watering, and milking the goats made me work these tired bones and joints. I feel better now, but the temperature is not expected to rise above single-digits and the freezing fog is expected to continue for at least another day, or so.

Update on Boo. We took him back in on Monday and he hated it, fought like a champion to stay in his carrier when the vet went to check him out. Unfortunately I think it's just a matter of time, (the vet thinks so also), he's fighting but he's starting to look fragile again, still loosing weight, she gave us some pain medication for him for two more weeks, then check him again then, two more weeks, etc........
Right now his eyes are still clear and he's still eating (a very little bit) and drinking water. Basically the vet thinks he has active blood cancer and there's no real cure at this stage.

:( Losing them is awful. The wait knowing you'll probably lose them is awful. Not being able to do anything to help is awful.

Last night was BRUTAL!! I was working from the moment I walked in to the time I finally finished my paperwork and left. I accumulated 2 hours overtime (a 12-hr day) because the freezing fog required warming and scraping engine fan blades. I'm dead tired and could barely walk earlier. At least feeding, watering, and milking the goats made me work these tired bones and joints. I feel better now, but the temperature is not expected to rise above single-digits and the freezing fog is expected to continue for at least another day, or so.

That really doesn't sound like fun. Snow can be a problem but I would rather have snow any time than ice.

That really doesn't sound like fun. Snow can be a problem but I would rather have snow any time than ice.
Believe me, we'd rather have snow than ice fog or ice.

:( Losing them is awful. The wait knowing you'll probably lose them is awful. Not being able to do anything to help is awful.
Yes but it does help somewhat to be prepared for it as opposed to "he's sick, he's dead, could I have done something, could I have caught it in time?".

Thank you hon, but there is nothing that can be done. Right now, it is more mental. These storm systems, the crap we are dealing with, the knowledge that 30 years meant squat to those we thought would be of help, family that turned their backs, churches that said "no...Unless"...Rental prices, etc...It hit both of us night before last. I won't go into detail. Suffice it to say, karma stopped us both.

Prayers mean nothing. They are just empty words. Why would God listen to a bunch of people and not MY prayers? He wants a multitude of them or something? One is not enough?

Anyway...As you can see...I am not back "up" again. A "friend" told me to not give up. To hang in there. I've had enough of pep talks and prayers. What am I supposed to hang in for? Some magical promise of a maybe low income home because I am on a list with thousands of others? And what's to stop the managers of those apts from bumping us back because of a friend of a friend needs it more? Nothing, that's what.

A lot goes on I don't talk about here. No need to, anyway. Everything is corrupt and a lie. It's all lies. We know, because we are living it, and have done all we are supposed to do..For naught. Just more false hopes, more lies from those who claim to be government programs.

The USA is a lie. Veterans die for this country so the rich can stay rich. They come back and die in an alley in a cardboard box. Seniors, disabled, mentally ill....We are expendable. Let us die...Less air we take from them. And family? Bullshit. Money means more to them. Dollars are thicker than blood.

We have learned all this these past few months. We are living it. And "friends"? Yeah. Right. Those we have helped or treated as we wanted to be treated..Neighbors we built fences for with no charge, people we gave a hand up, business acquaintances we depended on over 30 years...Has any said "gosh, it is freezing tonight..Do you want to come in and sit by the fire?" Or "come on over and take a real shower with hot water?" Or "would you like to do a load of laundry?"....Nope. not one offer. The simple things. The human things. None forthcoming.

I hate it here now. It all meant nothing. But medical assistance is here. Nothing else, just that. Or we can move find a room, and never see another doctor. Decisions decisions.

Add that to the mental anguish of all these real truths of humanity that is lacking...You get two old, hurting, aching seniors who are ridiculed for "not thinking ahead" and it's our fault, or stop whining or worse ...Smiled at while being lied to because we trusted what they said.

Both of us no longer want to be here. We are done. There is no hope, no future, no promises. The only reason we are still here is due to an old dog that depends on us...Roof of a van or an overpass or a bush. Doesn't matter to her as long as she is with us. So, karma is our last lefeline. As long as she breathed..So do we. When she stops...So do we. It is now our pact, made in the middle of a cold storm of rain and wind...Two old people, one old dog.

I said more than I planned just now. Which is fine. I care naught anymore.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Yes but it does help somewhat to be prepared for it as opposed to "he's sick, he's dead, could I have done something, could I have caught it in time?".
Dude, you will never, ever escape second guessing yourself and thinking "if only I had caught it in time". When my 22-yr-old cat, Sugarfoot, died earlier this year, and my 18-yr-old Doxie preceeded her by a week, I still ponder what I might have done to prolong their existence on this plane.
But you have my most heartfelt comfort. I know.

Our daughter was 4 or 5 when she first saw Woz. We were next door bar-b-queing and we had a color TV and the neighbors didn't, so we plunked their two kids and our two kids--all pre-schoolers or early grades in school down in our living room and left them to watch while we helped cook next door.

At the end of the film, our daughter came on over, wide eyed and as serious as a judge explaining how there was this hairable whitch but Dorothy melted her. Isn't that wonderful?

But then our kids grew up with TV shows like "Lost in Space" and saw all the Disney movies like "Bambi" et al, all of which have scary parts, and they never confused fact with fiction--they grew up thinking monsters were interesting and sometimes funny.

One exception: our son was enamored with both Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett but couldn't figure out why they both looked the same--Fess Parker played both roles. I explained that it was an actor playing a part in a play that we saw on television. And he was incredulous, pointing to Fess Parker and exclaiming, "He's alive?"

Dude, you will never, ever escape second guessing yourself and thinking "if only I had caught it in time". When my 22-yr-old cat, Sugarfoot, died earlier this year, and my 18-yr-old Doxie preceeded her by a week, I still ponder what I might have done to prolong their existence on this plane.
But you have my most heartfelt comfort. I know.
We say the same about Mugsy who died from thyroid cancer at age 12, no one caught it until it was too late, three days later she was dead.

And now, I will crawl back in my corner, karma curled next to me, and remember all that is gone, cry myself back to sleep, and read here to pretend the past 4 months was nothing but a dream.
Yes, I will check in now and then. I don't want you to worry. And no, I don't want to talk on the phone or via text. I would just bring myself down further...And you as well.
Save your prayers too. He isn't hearing them. Or mine.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Speaking of dogs, "Sawyer" our golden retriever has reached 74 pounds and is almost a year old.... and my grandson, "Lumpy the Little" has just turned one year old. I'd post pictures but I'm untrained or just don't do that, I can't decide..:smile:

View attachment 106471

Isn't that really heavy for a golden retriever? But I've only known one--a grand dog--and they are great dogs.

Forum List

Back