USMB Coffee Shop IV

Maybe watch a good movie together...if you can. Anything relaxing and calm.
Starship Troopers?

Awesome movie, for becoming more optimistic :)

It isn't fair. You're all the way over there in Russia and you've seen a lot more movies than I have. But I do love movies too. :)

:) Hollywood is a best factory of movies, in all other movie production centers there are significant percent of trash movies :) But if you're interesting of Russian movies, I can recommend you some good ones (for my taste, offcourse :)))

Starship Troopers?

It isn't fair. You're all the way over there in Russia and you've seen a lot more movies than I have. But I do love movies too. :)

There's a Russian super-hero movie coming out soon that's getting a decent amount of hype here in the US. It's called Guardians. I believe there is going to be an English dub available, I'm interested in seeing it.

Russian Superhero Film “Guardians” Gets a New Trailer + US Release [Videos]

Of course, the voice-overs in the English dubbed trailer are pretty bad. It looks pretty, though! :p

What's the ... how I can translate to English word "жЫр" with a letter "Ы"? Original word - "жир" means "fat", but with "ы" it's a slang word, means something awful, kitschable... :))

But maybe my first impression is wrong (blue shoulder straps in soviet uniform - ???), wait, I'll read local reviews ... :)

P.S. As in trailer, it's a Marvel-style saga about "Super heroes" in Russian decorations - hmm, interesting... I think, I'll visit it in cinema...

Last edited:
Monday is a holiday, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. So, as I have a free Monday, I've decided to take full advantage of one of my Christmas gifts. My brother and sister-in-law gave me Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather Notebook.

If you haven't seen it in your bookstore, it's a copy of the massive notebook Coppola made to help him direct the epic film. Coppola sliced each page of Mario Puzzo's The Godfather from its binding. Then he cut larger pages of paper as if they were frames. Then he glued each page to its frame so there would be larger margins to make notes upon. His notes and insights helped him stage and direct to movie.

My plan is to put my DVD copy of The Godfather on, take my copy of The Godfather Notebook in hand and read while I watch. This is one of the very few movies I watched before I read the book. And it's one of the very few movies I enjoyed more than the book. It will be interesting to study the original book, Francis Ford Coppola's notes and his finished film.

WOW! :)

Just got done talking to hubbie on the phone
He sounds really good and strong.
He says the machines are driving him crazy with all of the noises.
He is very happy about me bringing up his kindel for him.
He's going to ask them if he can have it and call me tomorrow morning.

He said in another day they will do a scan on his legs to find 3 good veins to use for his triple bypass.
I'm glad to hear he's in good spirits! You got this, girl.

Wow... Talk about easy! I just performed the steps that will allow me to print from my iPad and iPhone 7 using my new Canon Pixma TS9020 printer. I can't believe it was so easy and quick. I think I'll have myself a cup of coffee!!!

Monday is a holiday, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. So, as I have a free Monday, I've decided to take full advantage of one of my Christmas gifts. My brother and sister-in-law gave me Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather Notebook.

If you haven't seen it in your bookstore, it's a copy of the massive notebook Coppola made to help him direct the epic film. Coppola sliced each page of Mario Puzzo's The Godfather from its binding. Then he cut larger pages of paper as if they were frames. Then he glued each page to its frame so there would be larger margins to make notes upon. His notes and insights helped him stage and direct to movie.

My plan is to put my DVD copy of The Godfather on, take my copy of The Godfather Notebook in hand and read while I watch. This is one of the very few movies I watched before I read the book. And it's one of the very few movies I enjoyed more than the book. It will be interesting to study the original book, Francis Ford Coppola's notes and his finished film.

We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Starship Troopers?

:) Hollywood is a best factory of movies, in all other movie production centers there are significant percent of trash movies :) But if you're interesting of Russian movies, I can recommend you some good ones (for my taste, offcourse :)))

I confess I don't know many Russian words and generally don't enjoy movies with sub-titles except briefly like you find in the movie "Patton"--the Germans speak German with English subtitles underneath but that was only brief passages. Then there was one--can't remember the name--where the Japanese were speaking English with Japanese subtitles underneath in an American movie. :) Thought that was clever.

We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.
I started collecting movies by directors. John Ford, Frank Capra (I'm a sucker for 'Capricorn'), William Wyler, George Stevens. And then contemporary directors. Hal Ashly, Francis Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick.

After a while, I realized that I was only a few movies short of having all the films listed on the American Film Institute's Topp 100 list. So I finished that list.

Then I filled in some gaps genre-wise. A few great musicals, westerns, gangster flicks, comedies.

Now I have over 700 DVDs in cabinets flanking my entertainment center.

My all time favorites include, but are not exclusive to; How Green was my Valley, Bonnie and Clyde, Lawrence of Arabia, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Stagecoach, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, To Kill a Mockingbird, North by Northwest, Being There and The Wizard of Oz.

I don't believe I could call a film "classic" if I could drive myself to see it. That's just too new, even though that distinction begins with films made in the mid 1970s, to be "classic".

I have a fascination with life during wartime, Second World War time. It ended twelve years before I began, but the experiences my parents and grandparents and sainted aunts and uncles had definitely formed my character and outlook. I'm the guy who listens to Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Fibber Magee& Molly on the computer while reading an actual magazine in bed each night. I was born too late for culture.

I started collecting movies by directors. John Ford, Frank Capra (I'm a sucker for 'Capricorn'), William Wyler, George Stevens. And then contemporary directors. Hal Ashly, Francis Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick.

After a while, I realized that I was only a few movies short of having all the films listed on the American Film Institute's Topp 100 list. So I finished that list.

Then I filled in some gaps genre-wise. A few great musicals, westerns, gangster flicks, comedies.

My all time favorites include, but are not exclusive to; How Green was my Valley, Bonnie and Clyde, Lawrence of Arabia, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Stagecoach, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, To Kill a Mockingbird, North by Northwest, Being There and The Wizard of Oz.

I don't believe I could call a film "classic" if I could drive myself to see it. That's just too new, even though that distinction begins with films made in the mid 1970s, to be "classic".

I have a fascination with life during wartime, Second World War time. It ended twelve years before I began, but the experiences my parents and grandparents and sainted aunts and uncles had definitely formed my character and outlook. I'm the guy who listens to Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Fibber Magee& Molly on the computer while reading an actual magazine in bed each night. I was born too late for culture.

The only movie on your list of favorites that I've actually seen is The Wizard of Oz. :p

The only movie on your list of favorites that I've actually seen is The Wizard of Oz. :p
That's okay. You will have a grand time watching any of them! And there's no better time to watch them than the middle of winter.

Update on Boo. We took him back in on Monday and he hated it, fought like a champion to stay in his carrier when the vet went to check him out. Unfortunately I think it's just a matter of time, (the vet thinks so also), he's fighting but he's starting to look fragile again, still loosing weight, she gave us some pain medication for him for two more weeks, then check him again then, two more weeks, etc........
Right now his eyes are still clear and he's still eating (a very little bit) and drinking water. Basically the vet thinks he has active blood cancer and there's no real cure at this stage.

Mrs. BBD and I regularly watch all the old movies on TV and when driving almost always put the radio on Greg Bell's station to listen to the old time radio. I especially like the movies focused on WWII.

Tomorrow they will take his ballon out and has Fri., Sat. and Sun to gain strength.
If he is strong enough he will have the surgery on Mon.
If not he comes home and I take him to therpy here at the Benson Hospital for 2 weeks.
Then he goes in for the triple bypass.

Last edited:
Our own arctic freeze seems to be abating. Temperatures climbed above 32 degrees for the first time since, what seems like, the early 1990s. Icy a bit, slushy a lot, but nothing has to be shoveled. I did chemically shovel the driveway at lunchtime. A little calcium chloride between my tires and the asphalt goes a long way.

My powers of intuitive thinking took a bit of a vacation today. The new program for housing inspections now asks for a resident signature. I found that during the first inspections I conducted this morning. The building manager and I agreed that we should provide a stylus so that the residents could sign the iPad after their inspection.

So, during my lunch hour, I scoured the town looking for a package of styluses (styli?). In the third store I visited, a clerk approached me and asked if she could help. "Yes! I'm looking for a stylus someone could sign an iPad with." "Umm. Let me look!"

"You know a rubber tipped stick..."

Why couldn't an eraser do the trick? During the Space Race, Americans spent over a million dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil.

:) I know this anecdot... In reality, using pencil has another problems - graphite dust

Today I saw sun in window, through clouds - it was like Moon, thickness of clouds were just enough to provide this sight. Wonderful moment.
We saw the sun as a dim ball of light through the ice fog this morning. What a horror last night was, ice fog all night long!

My teeth are ugly.
Losing a lot of enamel now. I try to keep hygiene proper but it's hard being homeless and using only bottled water in an RV. I don't want to smile anymore. Ugly.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

I remember my milk teeth problems from childhood - it was terrible... And, it's strange, my returns from dental clinic strongly associated with funerals of another Soviet leader of "five-years of magnificent funerals" ;)))) Now my son have the same problems with teeths, and it's terrible again...
How old is your son? Do you have any other children?

True, that, Peach. Bigger bones take a lot more punishment than smaller ones, and a torn or dislocated meniscus can be a lot more trouble to heal up than bruised bones. Still, it's more than you need, or deserve (most likely). Most intense good thoughts and wishes still coming your, and Mr. P's way.

Well I learned how to fall from the expert ,my husband in how to fall and not hurt yourself.
The man has fallen a gazillion times since 78 from his MS.

There really is no excuse but to be honest and tell you all I'm a clutz sometimes.
Even when I was a kid I would hook my little toes on chairs and tabel legs.
Sometimes I accidently cut myself with a sharp knife in the kitchen.
Still it's rare and few times over the years.
My left little toe was broken so many times it was curled, by the time I was 30.
My 175lb. Mastiff accidently stepped on it and rebroke it but it's flat again now. :)
Your description of klutzy could be me. Wanna hunting camp story?

Yes I do.
Please. :)
OK,here goes:
The first year I worked in the camp I didn't have my guide's license yet so I agreed to run base camp. I took my (then 13-yr-old)daughter with me. Her job was to look after the master guide's young son. One morning I was preparing breakfast, which included meat patties made of fresh caribou. We used fresh meat off the rack as much as possible. I was cutting the caribou into chunks and my daughter was grinding the meat. Well, I managed to take a sizeable chunk off of my thumb and before I could stop her, the kid had already run it through the grinder. I guess I could legitimately claim to put myself into everything I cook, one way or another.

Awful!! Creepy! :)
Creepy, but true! But, what happens in hunting camp stays in hunting camp. My daughter bagged her first big game animal, a caribou, that year.

Forum List

Back