USMB Coffee Shop IV

Here it is, the time of year most folks consider to be the doldrums of the year. Mid January to the coming of Spring and Easter is not a period we can get excited about. But in my family, this is a festive time of year. Mom and Pop's wedding anniversary is January 20. They were married in 1953 on a Tuesday afternoon.

It was sleet and rain pelting Mom's wedding gown rather than rice. It was a week in Cleveland, city of light, city of magic for a honeymoon. I think if you aim low, all the joys that come n life will seem all the more miraculous and wonderful. A January wedding on a Tuesday followed by a January honeymoon in Cleveland certainly set the table for an abundance of miraculous winders.

Tomorrow is Daisy the Mutt's eighth birthday. She gets a pre-birthday bath after I post this, then tomorrow a trip to see Mom then her cousin Teddy, my brother's dog.

Next Sunday is my 60th birthday. And the slices of cake continue. Anniversary cake, followed by birthday cake and finally Mom's 83rd birthday on February 13th.

So we, at least, ha e found ways to keep our spirits up here in the dead of winter.

Around 2 -3ish the winds they called for arrived with a vengeance, 3:30 the power went out. Around 5 I grabbed the Colman lanterns, as soon as I did the power came back on...... for now...... We're getting 64 mph gusts and they're supposed to slow down some but not much.

Around 2 -3ish the winds they called for arrived with a vengeance, 3:30 the power went out. Around 5 I grabbed the Colman lanterns, as soon as I did the power came back on...... for now...... We're getting 64 mph gusts and they're supposed to slow down some but not much.
64 mph! Yikes! Batten down whatever hatches you have and be mindful of flying debris. You neighbors might be more generous than you like should any of their lawn decorations come whistling into your home.

64 mph! Yikes! Batten down whatever hatches you have and be mindful of flying debris. You neighbors might be more generous than you like should any of their lawn decorations come whistling into your home.
At least we're not having to deal with tornadoes here or the avalanches in Italy, those people are in our prayers.

Last edited:

Yes we're getting exactly the same here.
We had sleet, very rare here in the high desert.

We both like Hubbies nurse, who came by this afternoon.
There will be another one also at the beginig of next week.
This one who came today was amazed that he is not on oxygen.
With that low amout of actual heart working he should not have a 90 plus percent oxygen level.

At least we're not having to deal with tornadoes here in the US or the avalanches in Italy, those people are in our prayers.

Amen to that. We're having wind but not that extreme--we're under a wind advisory until morning--the temp is dropping fast tonight with more snow in our forecast. I just hope it is below freezing before the snow starts so maybe it won't have ice under it.

With that low amout of actual heart working he should not have a 90 plus percent oxygen level.
Are you on city water, well or cistern? We like the Picture Rocks area but the monthly water costs listed for those properties average just over $500 per month so I'm assuming cistern, that's outrageous.

I'm thinking she said awhile back that they are on a private well. If so the only cost is electric costs UNLESS something goes wrong and you have to pull the pipe and/or pump. And that's major $$$

15977968_1841307019424095_271732954259891773_n.jpg

Crappy day!
We have a much loved customer at Doc's who at 30 is a bit of a gypsy. She owns practically nothing and either sleeps in the park or on the sofa of one of her many friends. She's a brilliant woman and is 100% comfortable with her life style, though she will actually be starting a job in 2 weeks and intends to actually eventually have her own place
At any rate, at 2:30 AM I get a call from the bar saying she had had way too much to drink and had nowhere to get in out of the rain. I returned to the bar and picked her up and got her settled down on my sofa.
Fast forward to 7 AM. I get up and head for the kitchen to make coffee before grabbing a quick shower so I can head to Foley to open up.
Bare footed, I get to the kitchen and find the floor wet. Strange... I start following wet foot prints back towards their origin. The light is on in the guest bathroom and as the door opens, I see the gypsy standing in the doorway gripping a towel.
Now the next part of this took me probably 90 seconds to grasp, but she had apparently stumbled as she rose from the toilet and reached out for something to steady herself. She, unfortunately chose the toilet tank which broke from it's mounting points fell and smashed on the floor and in the process, took the water shut off valve off the supply line. Water had apparently been gushing from the severed 1/2" line for several minutes.

Every towel in the linen closet is on the floor with a couple rolls of toilet paper, an overturned waste can and 2 inches of water. I've been awake for maybe 3 minutes by this time and it took a while to find the circuit breaker for the well pump
My tenant came over to check why his water had gone off mid shower and I pressed him into service to clean up the bathroom and replace the shut off valve while I got the bar ready to open then picked up a new toilet.
The hardwood floors all got good and wet, but I believe we got everything mopped up before there was much damage.

A couple of you have been talking about weather. We got some too. While the tornadoes thankfully stayed to the north west of us, we did get some quarter sized hail here in Foley.
All is back to normal here. New toilet installed and operational and a sober gypsy is asleep on the couch.

Crappy day!
We have a much loved customer at Doc's who at 30 is a bit of a gypsy. She owns practically nothing and either sleeps in the park or on the sofa of one of her many friends. She's a brilliant woman and is 100% comfortable with her life style, though she will actually be starting a job in 2 weeks and intends to actually eventually have her own place
At any rate, at 2:30 AM I get a call from the bar saying she had had way too much to drink and had nowhere to get in out of the rain. I returned to the bar and picked her up and got her settled down on my sofa.
Fast forward to 7 AM. I get up and head for the kitchen to make coffee before grabbing a quick shower so I can head to Foley to open up.
Bare footed, I get to the kitchen and find the floor wet. Strange... I start following wet foot prints back towards their origin. The light is on in the guest bathroom and as the door opens, I see the gypsy standing in the doorway gripping a towel.
Now the next part of this took me probably 90 seconds to grasp, but she had apparently stumbled as she rose from the toilet and reached out for something to steady herself. She, unfortunately chose the toilet tank which broke from it's mounting points fell and smashed on the floor and in the process, took the water shut off valve off the supply line. Water had apparently been gushing from the severed 1/2" line for several minutes.

Every towel in the linen closet is on the floor with a couple rolls of toilet paper, an overturned waste can and 2 inches of water. I've been awake for maybe 3 minutes by this time and it took a while to find the circuit breaker for the well pump
My tenant came over to check why his water had gone off mid shower and I pressed him into service to clean up the bathroom and replace the shut off valve while I got the bar ready to open then picked up a new toilet.
The hardwood floors all got good and wet, but I believe we got everything mopped up before there was much damage.

A couple of you have been talking about weather. We got some too. While the tornadoes thankfully stayed to the north west of us, we did get some quarter sized hail here in Foley.
All is back to normal here. New toilet installed and operational and a sober gypsy is asleep on the couch.
I remember hearing something about no good deed goes unpunished.........

Light rain just hit us...But that is not my concern. Wind is what I fear with this soggy ground and that dam tree next to us. We told them to call county today and have them cut it back since it is the county's tree. We damn sure can't do it. Maybe they will do it this time...Since all three of their cars are going to be totaled if it comes down...Along with us in the RV.

19 more days and we are out of here. A roof! Fingers still crossed nothing happens to change that.

Thumb feels much better too. This was/is one bad flare-up this go around. Still aches a bit but nothing I can't handle... Thankfully.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Crappy day!

One thing you can sure say about your life, Ernie, it is never dull. :)

Tonight lets remember the avalanche victims and pray that any survivors will be found soon.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's mom and her sister,
Saveliberty for wellness,
Ringel's Gizmo and Boo and wellness for Ringel,
Ernie for wellness,
Sbiker for wellness,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days.
Grace for wellness and Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition who need a break big time right now.

All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all others who need to find their way back.

Sunset over Atlanta
5453633520_e304043a22_o_d.jpg

Tonight lets remember the avalanche victims and pray that any survivors will be found soon.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's mom and her sister,
Saveliberty for wellness,
Ringel's Gizmo and Boo and wellness for Ringel,
Ernie for wellness,
Sbiker for wellness,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days.
Grace for wellness and Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition who need a break big time right now.

All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all others who need to find their way back.

Sunset over Atlanta
5453633520_e304043a22_o_d.jpg

Oh my...LOVE it!

Are you on city water, well or cistern? We like the Picture Rocks area but the monthly water costs listed for those properties average just over $500 per month so I'm assuming cistern, that's outrageous.

We live in a suburb outside of Benson and we have well water that goes to all of the homes out here.
Our water bill is 36.00 a month.
We're charged for amount used at so much per gallon used.
Some out here who have backyard gardens have around 300.00 a month during the summer.

Crappy day!

Be sure to check your floor at a later date, maybe at the beginning of summer, to make sure there is no black mold underneath it, or in between the sides of wood.
Very bad health hazard, especially where you live with that high hummidy.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in what Mr. Peach is wearing and how it works hereis their web site.

ZOLL Medical Corporation - LifeVest Wearable Defibrillator
He has 2 so I can wash one while he wears the other. I wash them every 2 days.

All of the Docs and nurses can't explain how or why his oxygen level is in the 90's.
I know and he knows it's everyones prayers. :biggrin:
Thank you!!!!!!!
Keep praying that more than 50% of his heart wakes up again.

Last edited:
I'm up with the roosters...Literally and figuratively ready to rock and roll. Actually, that what woke me up. This RV feels like a damn boat. But...The tree is still standing. For now, anyway.
Power went out too. We feel like we are in a metal ice tray...Being shook around.

Heading to my van in a few. Mrg is fitfully sleeping so I will let him do that but I can't sleep with all this racket.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Forum List

Back