USMB Coffee Shop IV

Valentine's Day is one of those days a lot of people give or decorate with edible arrangements.
88e7c3c799dde1ca2226a3138106eb4a.jpg
s_Dec001_BCBwHearts_RedContainer.jpg
s_Feb001_BCB.jpg

Here's mine:

12645167_10154618227778228_2959115117549795759_n.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I was re-watching the Ken Burns documentary "The War" last night. I saw something I haven't seen in years. Someone was writing a letter to a serviceman and on her desk was a bottle of Quink. She had a fountain pen in hand.

So I got to thinking about the fountain pen. I'm 60 and I've never had a fountain pen of my own. The ball point and later, the felt tip had cornered the market by the time I needed a pen with which to write. I know that the ball point pen was invented right after the war. Up until then, everyone used a fountain pen and before that, a stylus with a writing nib and before that, a quill.

How on earth did something as necessary and ubiquitous as a fountain pen become so obsolete so quickly? Like the telephone hanging on the wall in the kitchen, the black and white television set, the telegram and children playing Red Rover, some things so familiar can become so antique and exotic without our even realizing.

I was re-watching the Ken Burns documentary "The War" last night. I saw something I haven't seen in years. Someone was writing a letter to a serviceman and on her desk was a bottle of Quink. She had a fountain pen in hand.

So I got to thinking about the fountain pen. I'm 60 and I've never had a fountain pen of my own. The ball point and later, the felt tip had cornered the market by the time I needed a pen with which to write. I know that the ball point pen was invented right after the war. Up until then, everyone used a fountain pen and before that, a stylus with a writing nib and before that, a quill.

How on earth did something as necessary and ubiquitous as a fountain pen become so obsolete so quickly? Like the telephone hanging on the wall in the kitchen, the black and white television set, the telegram and children playing Red Rover, some things so familiar can become so antique and exotic without our even realizing.

You obviously have never ruined a shirt with a fountain pen.

Ball point pens! A boom for the laundry industry! I can't say the same for felt tipped pens.

Ball point pens! A boom for the laundry industry! I can't say the same for felt tipped pens.

I feel the most sorry for pocket protectors.

I feel the most sorry for pocket protectors.
Pop always wore a pocket protector. He had pens, both ball point and fountain, as well as his trusty printer's ruler. It looked like this:

612a.jpg

A leaky ballpoint pen has the same effect.

I like that we have winter. I never could stand the South, with all the snakes, spiders, alligators, etc... I'll take a little extra snow anytime. :)

You don't have snakes and spiders in Ohio? And alligators aren't a real big problem in the desert. :)

No. I haven't seen a bug in my house in a long time. My previous place had some but it was a lazy landlord problem. I lived down south for awhile and I couldn't take it. I was cleaning the sink after we moved in and a huge, ugly, centipede crawled out of the drain.

Nothing against the people, I prefer it right where I am.
Don't move to the orient........ Always had to look in the toilet before taking a seat.........
Are you referring to the Telamonia spider (hiney-bite spider) reputed to stow away in airline toilets?
Not at all. Real live lizards, snakes, etc. Had the same issue in Central America. Not all the sewer systems run into treatment plants...........
OH! You mean one of these:
toilet snake.jpg

You don't have snakes and spiders in Ohio? And alligators aren't a real big problem in the desert. :)

No. I haven't seen a bug in my house in a long time. My previous place had some but it was a lazy landlord problem. I lived down south for awhile and I couldn't take it. I was cleaning the sink after we moved in and a huge, ugly, centipede crawled out of the drain.

Nothing against the people, I prefer it right where I am.
Don't move to the orient........ Always had to look in the toilet before taking a seat.........
Are you referring to the Telamonia spider (hiney-bite spider) reputed to stow away in airline toilets?
Not at all. Real live lizards, snakes, etc. Had the same issue in Central America. Not all the sewer systems run into treatment plants...........
OH! You mean one of these:
View attachment 112307
Ouch!

We get approximately 60 sunny, cloud free days here in the Upper Ohio river valley and today is one of them. As it turns out, the sky is a beautiful blue color!

Every morning on my local NPR station at 8:30 there is a little program called "Star Date" A woman with a melodious voice tells me about some spectacular celestial display set for this evening. "Look for this wonderful, beautiful show of stars in the south just after sunset! It's a sight well worth seeing!" she exclaims.

Well, bully for her! She is describing wonders to the celestial blind. Our skies are perpetually shrouded in clouds. A full moon appears as a bright smudge in an otherwise dark gray sky. But tonight I think I'll take advantage of our rare opportunity to take in the glories of the heavens. Unless, of course, it turns out to be obscenely cold again.

On the up side, pitchers and catcher have reported to Spring Training facilities around Arizona and Florida. A month and a half from now, the hot dog vendors at PNC Park will be plying their wares. Today is a beautiful day for a ball game. Let's play two!

Well, in about an hour I head up to Magalia to meet with the lady with the pit bulls. Or rather, one pit now since the other one attacked her little dog. She is the one we were going to rent a room from until she said Pit Bulls. Then I met our current housemate and here we are. But she is up the road about 5 miles, so I told her we arrived safely and did she want to meet for coffee and she said of course! I will not be taking Karma with me since she still have one pit left. I thought it might be fun to go visit her and meet the other rescues she has since they are all little ones. I will try to remember to take pics.

Meanwhile, on our walk this morning, Karma and I met the couple across the road. Tom and Karen, from Minnesota, and their 3 little dogs. We had a good chat, then Karma hooked up with Steve and Chelsea on their walk and we joined them for a short stint until we all reached our prospective residences. It was a nice morning. Still is, at a briskish 67 degrees in the shade, 70 in the sun...if you can find it behind all those very tall ponderosa pines, lol.

happy-anniversary-wishes-for-lovely-boyfriend.jpg

Foxy and Mr Foxy!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

122378_pc.jpg

AND

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
Happy-Anniversary-Images.jpg

Well, in about an hour I head up to Magalia to meet with the lady with the pit bulls. Or rather, one pit now since the other one attacked her little dog. She is the one we were going to rent a room from until she said Pit Bulls. Then I met our current housemate and here we are. But she is up the road about 5 miles, so I told her we arrived safely and did she want to meet for coffee and she said of course! I will not be taking Karma with me since she still have one pit left. I thought it might be fun to go visit her and meet the other rescues she has since they are all little ones. I will try to remember to take pics.

Meanwhile, on our walk this morning, Karma and I met the couple across the road. Tom and Karen, from Minnesota, and their 3 little dogs. We had a good chat, then Karma hooked up with Steve and Chelsea on their walk and we joined them for a short stint until we all reached our prospective residences. It was a nice morning. Still is, at a briskish 67 degrees in the shade, 70 in the sun...if you can find it behind all those very tall ponderosa pines, lol.

happy-anniversary-wishes-for-lovely-boyfriend.jpg

Foxy and Mr Foxy!

I can feel the happiness coming from you Gracie! I love it!

Forum List

Back