🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think we have imported black widow spiders into England now. I saw what looked like one crawling down my bathroom window. It was fairly large by English standards and was black and hairless. I trapped it under the lid of some shaving foam and threw it down the toilet. But it gave me the creeps.
black-widow-spiders_01.ngsversion.1482872406233.jpg

• Female black widow spiders are about .5 inch long, to about 1.5 inches long when the legs are spread.
  • Males are about half the female's size, with smaller bodies and longer legs.
    Both females and males have shiny, globular abdomens and are mostly black, and sometimes brown.
  • Females usually have a reddish hourglass shape on the underside of their abdomens. In some species the females have a series of red spots and two crosswise bars on the underbelly.
  • Male black widows frequently have yellow and red bands and spots over their backs, as do both sexes of black widows in their immature stages.
  • Newly hatched spiderlings are predominately white or yellowish-white, gradually acquiring more black and varying amounts of red and white with each molt.
Read more: Black Widow Spiders - venomous spider - DesertUSA

Very informative. I'm guessing Dajjle was not of a mind to examine this one very closely however. :)
I wouldn't have been either, but they're easy to identify since they always have the red or a yellow patch/spots. I hate spiders.

I'm not crazy about them either, but they are interesting to the point they are sometimes the subject of philosophy and fiction. But for most of us. . .

I think we have imported black widow spiders into England now. I saw what looked like one crawling down my bathroom window. It was fairly large by English standards and was black and hairless. I trapped it under the lid of some shaving foam and threw it down the toilet. But it gave me the creeps.

• Female black widow spiders are about .5 inch long, to about 1.5 inches long when the legs are spread.
    Both females and males have shiny, globular abdomens and are mostly black, and sometimes brown.
  • Females usually have a reddish hourglass shape on the underside of their abdomens. In some species the females have a series of red spots and two crosswise bars on the underbelly.
  • Male black widows frequently have yellow and red bands and spots over their backs, as do both sexes of black widows in their immature stages.
  • Newly hatched spiderlings are predominately white or yellowish-white, gradually acquiring more black and varying amounts of red and white with each molt.

Very informative. I'm guessing Dajjle was not of a mind to examine this one very closely however. :)
I wouldn't have been either, but they're easy to identify since they always have the red or a yellow patch/spots. I hate spiders.

The body was completely black and shiny and hairless. I did not see any spots.

Well that does sound like the black widow and you might not have gotten close enough to see spots. The body is smallish, round, black, shiny, and hairless with a lot of leg in comparison to the body.

Morning !

Hubby went to town to meet his friend for breakfast.
Tomorrow is his Doc. Appt so we shall see if the drugs are working and go from there. :)

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, SFC Ollie, Spoonman, and all others we hope will find their way back.

Stormy sunset--eastern New Mexico
8228661924_05484ceb16_z.jpg
Wonderful sunset!! :bow3::bowdown:

Don't know if you have those kinds of storms in your part of the world. I chose it because it was beautiful. But that is the leading edge of a super cell that produces our most violent storms--lots of rain often with large hail, damaging winds, and sometimes tornadoes..
Hi Foxfyre!
ciao.gif

Unfortunately we have toranadoes too here! Sometimes are very damaging! :(

I'm not crazy about them either, but they are interesting to the point they are sometimes the subject of philosophy and fiction. But for most of us. . .

I screamed so much watching Arachnophobia that the next door neighbor knocked on the door, just to make sure there wasn't something awful going on. And I couldn't pick up a towel or touch the toilet paper roll for a week without shivers. Honest to God.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Kat's sister,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Hombre's sore toes,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, SFC Ollie, Spoonman, and all others we hope will find their way back.

Don't know if you have those kinds of storms in your part of the world. I chose it because it was beautiful. But that is the leading edge of a super cell that produces our most violent storms--lots of rain often with large hail, damaging winds, and sometimes tornadoes..
Hi Foxfyre!
ciao.gif

Really? You think of things like typhoons and torrential rains and such in your part of the world, but tornadoes too? I just looked it up and you indeed do have one every once in awhile. But you can take comfort in that most of them are here. The USA has the most frequent, largest, and most destructive tornadoes in the world. Most are concentrated in 'tornado alley' in the mid section of the country but are a risk for almost all states east of the Rocky Mountains except possibly Maine. They are rare and usually less damaging when they occur west of the Rocky Mountains.

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Kat's sister,
Hombre's sore toes,
Ernie!!!

Hi Foxfyre!
ciao.gif

Really? You think of things like typhoons and torrential rains and such in your part of the world, but tornadoes too? I just looked it up and you indeed do have one every once in awhile. But you can take comfort in that most of them are here. The USA has the most frequent, largest, and most destructive tornadoes in the world. Most are concentrated in 'tornado alley' in the mid section of the country but are a risk for almost all states east of the Rocky Mountains except possibly Maine. They are rare and usually less damaging when they occur west of the Rocky Mountains.
Even if we have sometimes bad tornadoes we're lucky here because it happens not very often!
icon_aww.gif

I soon as I saw the picture I figured they were late 1800s (1890s) as the original "jeans" (invented by Jacob W Davis in Reno Nevada) were constructed from sail cloth and dyed brown. The primary customers were miners who loved the sturdiness of the construction but complained about chaffing due to the sail cloth fabric. Levi was a fabric supplier and eventually partnered with Davis as Davis saw a need for someone with Levi's connections to expand. Levi was the one who went looking for other fabric to make the pants out of and settled on Serge de Nimes (Denim) as the perfect fabric that gave both comfort and sturdiness of construction, not sure if that was 1886 when they first partnered or later. The pants were a staple for blue collar workers (miners, cowboys, farmers, etc) until made generally popular by the "greasers" in 1950 and further advanced into popular culture by the Hippies in the 60s.

Last edited:
We arrive home about a half hour ago, it's in the upper 70s so I'm in shorts and a t-shirt....... It was in the 40s when we left Gallup.

A friend asked me today in email:
If something happened to MrG and you had to live alone, where would you want to live? Where you are, or the beach where you used to be?

My answer was...home. The beach. But I wouldn't be there long. Once MrG and Karma are gone..I plan to follow shortly afterwards. Fact. Why would I want to continue on alone???

Since the interview was pretty much a let down and no, the position isn't a NM State job though they get some of their funding from NM State we've talked it over and while the Gallup area is pretty we are definitely confirmed suburbanites so we've decided we really like New Mexico and plan to settle in, around Albuquerque. We prefer the close access to multiple amenities and even if we don't always use them they're easily available if we do decide to utilize them and the job opportunities are much greater.
So tomorrow I go to the bank and see what I qualify for then start a serious search for a home up there.

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Kat's sister,
Hombre's sore toes,
Ernie!!!

Sunset at Isaac Point, Cornwell, England
sunset-at-sharrow-beach-on-whitsand-bay-in-cornwall-ebmtpb.jpg

Forum List

Back