🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

View attachment 120324

Hope it's a great day for everyone, we are warm today, 85 but I'm just still waiting for the plumber. I'm also a little sore because I twisted and turned yesterday in ways I haven't in awhile. Not just under the sink but since I cleaned that area out to be ready for the plumber I felt energized and did a lot of spring type cleaning.
I always get a kick out of the push for college degrees, university education. If more people only knew what a plumber earns per hour! Of course, they do have to often put there faces where other people put their butts...but, hell, the pay is pretty good. And they get to make their own hours, too. If a plumber doesn't want to make a house call on weekends or holidays, they don't really have to.
I'm also getting that Spring cleaning feeling but most of those bigger projects will have to wait until after the semester ends first week of May. By then, everything should be fairly well thawed out.
Here if you have a university education you have so many problems to find a good job (you pay because university is free but all books aren't free :eek-52:). I'm sure it's the same thing in the US.
Maybe those who choose to be plumbers did a good choice :)

View attachment 120324

Hope it's a great day for everyone, we are warm today, 85 but I'm just still waiting for the plumber. I'm also a little sore because I twisted and turned yesterday in ways I haven't in awhile. Not just under the sink but since I cleaned that area out to be ready for the plumber I felt energized and did a lot of spring type cleaning.
I always get a kick out of the push for college degrees, university education. If more people only knew what a plumber earns per hour! Of course, they do have to often put there faces where other people put their butts...but, hell, the pay is pretty good. And they get to make their own hours, too. If a plumber doesn't want to make a house call on weekends or holidays, they don't really have to.
I'm also getting that Spring cleaning feeling but most of those bigger projects will have to wait until after the semester ends first week of May. By then, everything should be fairly well thawed out.
Here if you have a university education you have so many problems to find a good job (you pay because university is free but all books aren't free :eek-52:). I'm sure it's the same thing in the US.

The University isn't free for most of us here though there are student loans, grants, and scholarships to help. And maybe a university education is required for more jobs here than there--I don't know. For sure somebody with a college degree is less likely to be hired for a lot of jobs because the employer figures they'll be gone immediately as soon as a college degree type job opens up.

But for sure you don't have to have a college education to do most electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, carpentry, roofing, painting etc. that provides a very good living for a lot of people. I wish our education system was set up to encourage and help people train for those kinds of vocations as much as they put importance on a college education.

View attachment 120324

The University isn't free for most of us here though there are student loans, grants, and scholarships to help. And maybe a university education is required for more jobs here than there--I don't know. For sure somebody with a college degree is less likely to be hired for a lot of jobs because the employer figures they'll be gone immediately as soon as a college degree type job opens up.

But for sure you don't have to have a college education to do most electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, carpentry, roofing, painting etc. that provides a very good living for a lot of people. I wish our education system was set up to encourage and help people train for those kinds of vocations as much as they put importance on a college education.

I might have chosen something like a vocational school, but my lack of transportation really limited my options. :p

View attachment 120324

It's the same here Foxfyre. Unfortunately they want university degree for almost all jobs... :shock:
Even some stree cleaners are required to have a degree :terror:

Their call is the purr of the bird world. Pigeons are pretty close.

I agree. But while I dislike the bird bullies--grackles, jays, crows etc. when they are in bully mode--I think pigeons might be my least favorite of all common birds. When flocks settle on rooftops or congregate over walkways, driveways, etc. they make such an offensive mess.

I can't stand pigeons - but Canadian geese are The Worst. Filthy and disgusting. Bleah.
I love Canada geese, especially with corn bread stuffing and mashed taters.

Sorry, but ick. The ones I see while walking around Lake Merritt are beyond disgusting. I would have to be starving (literally) to consume one.

I will note that each fall, there seems to be a secret harvest of Canadian geese. I suspect that it is Chinese Thanksgiving Turkey given how I see quite a few old Chinese Grandmas aggressively feeding the geese in the preceding weeks prior to The Disappearance.
If SHTF then you will be eating geese, dogs, cats, rats, mice, opossums, squirrels, raccoons and anything you can get your hands on.

That's what happened in WW2 Germany near the end.

And when you run out of small animals to eat then you will start eating each other.

That's what happened in WW1 Russia near the end.

As I read Engelgardt's "letters", hunger was in rural Russia almost every year, and serious hunger every ten years, till the Revolution, but there weren't much cases of cannibalism, even during St.Petersburg blockade during WW2. If people are of sound mind, they don't eating people, cannibalism is a choice of mentally ill...

I heared stories, experienced criminals, running from prisons in Siberia usually took "pig" companions to be eating during the travel through taiga to civilization....:)

Thanks everyone but I'm almost in tears...they want $600...he said mine is cracked and I need a new disposal. Not doing it now, going to check around.

I'll see you in a bit ...washing a dishwasher full of dishes by hand...in the small other sink. :(

Last edited:
Thanks everyone but I'm almost in tears...they want $600...he said mine is cracked and I need a new disposal. Not doing it now, going to check around.

I'll see you in a bit ...washing a dishwasher full of dishes by hand...in the small other sink. :(

Do you know somebody who does contracting that you trust? Can you ask him who he would recommend who is trustworthy, won't gouge you, and does good work? We have found such a wide difference in estimates, and the one who gives us the highest estimate is not always the one who does the best work. Sometimes they'll quote you an excessively high estimate because they really don't want the job. We saved almost a $1,000 when we had our tile work done because we didn't accept the first estimate we got.

Now of course everything is more expensive in California it seems, but the average labor to install a disposal around here is around $200 or less--the national average I think is about $250 or less. And if you check Amazon's prices--they can get the product to you in a couple of days--or check at your local Lowe's or Home Depot--you can get a decent disposal for under $100. Buy what you want and then get a reasonable price for somebody to install it.

Last edited:
I'm looking around now for handymen who can install one...I know a disposal is about $100, it's ridiculous what they quoted me. Unbelievable!

I'm not desperate for one so it's not like I can't survive....just makes me angry.

I just had a new A/C unit installed for $5,000 by them in august and my daughter paid for that...I think they figured they can charge anything and my daughter will pay but she called around and that price is crazy!

Before I said no, I asked how long it would take and he said not long at all, so it's not that labor intensive either.

Grrrrrr...so upset I had to eat a white chocolate covered peanut butter egg.

It's early April and I get a little blue this time of year. Yesterday, April 4, was the ninth anniversary of Pop's death. It's a subject that is maudlin and self serving in my opinion, but it was an important day and something I feel compelled to write about. I beg your forgiveness in advance.

April 3, 2008 was a Thursday. My car was in the shop. It's a Chrysler PT Cruiser. Don't laugh. It's warmer than a go-kart. Pop graciously drove me home from the office that afternoon. We sat in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate admiring the tulips that were in full bloom that peculiarly warm spring. I kissed Pop on the cheek and thanked him for the ride. That was the last time I would have the chance to talk with him.

I got the call from the Big House at 3:00 am. It was my brother who told me that there was something terribly wrong and he would be down to pick me up directly. When we pulled into the driveway, the ambulance was already there, lights flashing with gaudy red and yellow and extraordinarily bright.

Pop lay catatonic on the floor of the upstairs hallway. The AED (automatic electronic defibulator) I bought the folks for Christmas just four months ago, was out of the case and the stick-on paddles were untangled. The EMTs were working hard to get Pop strapped to the gurney for the trip to the hospital.

I asked my brother what was going on. He explained that Mom told him Pop complained of a terrible headache around 2:00 am, grasped the back of his head and collapsed to the floor. "This is bad" he said on our way to the emergency room.

Pop was whisked inside and out of our sight. The attending doctor came to us about 45 minutes later. He told us that Pop had suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and "we don't expect a good outcome". I thought, "Just like FDR".

After about an hour and 45 minutes, we were let into the emergency room alcove where Pop lay straining for breath. His eyes were closed, yet there was a visible grimace of pain on his usually pleasant face. The death struggle had begun.

The hospital chaplain, a most amiable man, stopped in and offered a prayer. He prayed for a speedy recovery and full vitality. Everyone knew that was not to be. Aunt Roxie (Mom's sister) and Uncle Jim showed up about a quarter to five and joined me, my brother, my sister-in-law and Mom around Pop's bed. We joined hands and silently watched Pop slip away.

By shear coincidence, the pastor who had officiated at my brother's wedding the preceding July was in the ER that fateful morning. He of course recognized the family and offered a prayer of his own.

He prayed for a peaceful passing, a reunion with God and loved ones dear departed. He offered each of us his blessing and left respectfully.

As soon as he was gone, Pop's head and shoulders rose from the bed. He turned slightly to his right and died. It was 5:04 am Friday April 4, 2008. The second minister knew what we needed, what Pop needed and what was appropriate.

Pop passed surrounded by his family in as much peace and dignity as a stroke could offer. The rest of that Friday was a blur. Going down to Dawson's Funeral Home to make the arraignments. Taking Pop's blue serge suit to the dry cleaners, picking out a tie and buying him a new dress shirt, one without a frayed collar and gravy stains.

Today, nine years after the fact, recalling those events can be both comfort and pain, sadness and joy. Joy knowing Pop did not suffer, did not lose his dignity by a long, debilitating disease.

Things just haven't been the same. I miss him a lot.

Last edited:
View attachment 120324

It's the same here Foxfyre. Unfortunately they want university degree for almost all jobs... :shock:
Even some stree cleaners are required to have a degree :terror:

But education usually don't stop after university degree - you could change many jobs in your life and some of them would require to take additional courses, practices and so on...

Andrey Platonov, one of our famous writers worked as cleaner too, while he wrote his books :)

Okay, we'll be going up to Albuquerque tomorrow, looking at houses in Los Lunas and west South Valley. The broker we have was born and raised in Albuquerque and while looking at the auto selection based on our criteria was removing listings in areas he said he would have his mother or grandmother live in. We also discussed Tijeras and he says much has improved in the last ten years so we'll look at some homes there as an alternative but I'm leaning towards Los Lunas.

It's early April and I get a little blue this time of year. Yesterday, April 4, was the ninth anniversary of Pop's death. It's a subject that is maudlin and self serving in my opinion, but it was an important day and something I feel compelled to write about. I beg your forgiveness in advance.

April 3, 2008 was a Thursday. My car was in the shop. It's a Chrysler PT Cruiser. Don't laugh. It's warmer than a go-kart. Pop graciously drove me home from the office that afternoon. We sat in front of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate admiring the tulips that were in full bloom that peculiarly warm spring. I kissed Pop on the cheek and thanked him for the ride. That was the last time I would have the chance to talk with him.

I got the call from the Big House at 3:00 am. It was my brother who told me that there was something terribly wrong and he would be down to pick me up directly. When we pulled into the driveway, the ambulance was already there, lights flashing with gaudy red and yellow and extraordinarily bright.

Pop lay catatonic on the floor of the upstairs hallway. The AED (automatic electronic defibulator) I bought the folks for Christmas just four months ago, was out of the case and the stick-on paddles were untangled. The EMTs were working hard to get Pop strapped to the gurney for the trip to the hospital.

I asked my brother what was going on. He explained that Mom told him Pop complained of a terrible headache around 2:00 am, grasped the back of his head and collapsed to the floor. "This is bad" he said on our way to the emergency room.

Pop was whisked inside and out of our sight. The attending doctor came to us about 45 minutes later. He told us that Pop had suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and "we don't expect a good outcome". I thought, "Just like FDR".

After about an hour and 45 minutes, we were let into the emergency room alcove where Pop lay straining for breath. His eyes were closed, yet there was a visible grimace of pain on his usually pleasant face. The death struggle had begun.

The hospital chaplain, a most amiable man, stopped in and offered a prayer. He prayed for a speedy recovery and full vitality. Everyone knew that was not to be. Aunt Roxie (Mom's sister) and Uncle Jim showed up about a quarter to five and joined me, my brother, my sister-in-law and Mom around Pop's bed. We joined hands and silently watched Pop slip away.

By shear coincidence, the pastor who had officiated at my brother's wedding the preceding July was in the ER that fateful morning. He of course recognized the family and offered a prayer of his own.

He prayed for a peaceful passing, a reunion with God and loved ones dear departed. He offered each of us his blessing and left respectfully.

As soon as he was gone, Pop's head and shoulders rose from the bed. He turned slightly to his right and died. It was 5:04 am Friday April 4, 2008. The second minister knew what we needed, what Pop needed and what was appropriate.

Pop passed surrounded by his family in as much peace and dignity as a stroke could offer. The rest of that Friday was a blur. Going down to Dawson's Funeral Home to make the arraignments. Taking Pop's blue serge suit to the dry cleaners, picking out a tie and buying him a new dress shirt, one without a frayed collar and gravy stains.

Today, nine years after the fact, recalling those events can be both comfort and pain, sadness and joy. Joy knowing Pop did not suffer, did not lose his dignity by a long, debilitating disease.

And that hasn't been all that long ago Nosmo. The worst pain of grief does fade into memory, but we never stop thinking about them, missing them. He went the way I hope to go when my time is up here.

Okay, we'll be going up to Albuquerque tomorrow, looking at houses in Los Lunas and west South Valley. The broker we have was born and raised in Albuquerque and while looking at the auto selection based on our criteria was removing listings in areas he said he would have his mother or grandmother live in. We also discussed Tijeras and he says much has improved in the last ten years so we'll look at some homes there as an alternative but I'm leaning towards Los Lunas.

Well good luck. Dang, I was hoping we could meet for lunch maybe, but we are already committed for all day tomorrow.

Well good luck. Dang, I was hoping we could meet for lunch maybe, but we are already committed for all day tomorrow.
Yeah, 4 1/2 hour drive up, all afternoon looking at houses, overnight then all morning looking at houses the 4 1/2 hour trip home......... We'll be pretty tied up. :thup:

:smiliehug:. Sorry for your loss, Nosmo. :(

:smiliehug:. Sorry for your loss, Nosmo. :(
Thanks Sarah. A very good friend of mine has borne more grief than a human should. Her husband died in her arms of a heart attack out on the sidewalks of Brooklyn. Five years later, after the havoc of Hurricane Sandy, her only daughter succumbed at age thirty of sepsis.

Her world was shattered. Wracked with grief, she struggled for years. But, after time and loving memory ran its course, she found herself coping better by not idealizing her departed family.

She 're-humanized' them. It sounds cruel, but sometimes a cruel blow is best dealt with by minor cruelty. She would remember how her husband irritated her with his snoring, his irresponsibility with their disposable income, his indifference to his pedicure. She remembered how her daughter would spring surprise on her by bringing friends for dinner without notice or how she would max out her credit cards at Victoria's Secret or at the cosmetics counter at Macy's.

After months of this, she could finally recall them with a rational happiness instead of the irrational grief she struggled with for so long.

As George Harrison once said, 'whatever gets you through the night'.

Forum List

Back