🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

A sad day here. The expectant doe finally birthed her kids. The first one came just fine, the second was less fortunate because its head was turned back over its flank. I had to assist and of course its neck was broken, so it was stillborn. Two really BIG kids, too. Now, I'm concerned because the mom has not passed the placenta like she should have. I'm doing what I can, but it remains to be seen how things will turn out. At least the one kid has been feeding well, getting colostrum and staying warm.
It's been staying above freezing and everything is melting...what a mess! But it happens every year and is not unexpected, just a PITA.

So sorry, gallantwarrior :(

IMG_0678.JPG

Hope it's a great day for everyone, we are warm today, 85 but I'm just still waiting for the plumber. I'm also a little sore because I twisted and turned yesterday in ways I haven't in awhile. Not just under the sink but since I cleaned that area out to be ready for the plumber I felt energized and did a lot of spring type cleaning.

Morning all!

Foxy - I can't stand crows. A few years ago, a belligerent bunch took over our neighborhood. Now, we hardly ever see the morning doves and songbirds that used to nest every year.

Actually that's mourning doves, with a U. Named for their plaintive wistful sound. :)

Ah, thank you for the correction. I'm not a bird watcher, but I do love those sweet soft grey doves. One year, I saw over a dozen of them in the persimmon tree that hangs over into our yard. So beautiful.
Their call is the purr of the bird world. Pigeons are pretty close.

I agree. But while I dislike the bird bullies--grackles, jays, crows etc. when they are in bully mode--I think pigeons might be my least favorite of all common birds. When flocks settle on rooftops or congregate over walkways, driveways, etc. they make such an offensive mess.

I fed the street pigeons when I went to town today to get my food. I give them old bread. I owe pigeons big time because I used to shoot them with a shotgun when I was a youth. Even though it was fifty years ago that's the one thing I regret doing. Really, they are clever birds, that survive in every city in the world.

Don't get me wrong. I just appreciate a simple life. I'm really PO'd that my a-hole partner has acquired a microwave oven for the place. He can also not envision living without TV/cable. One of his friends will leave Willow to come back to Anchorage to watch his team play...I'm not sure what they play, but this guy has to see it. So, we have to have to offer games at the cabin so my partner's buddy will stay around. Dumb shit, IMHO. Personally, I appreciate not having all the extraneous crap we have burdened ourselves with. I use cast iron cook ware and re-heat pizza (rare treat) on the wood burner. It's loads better than a microwave, the crust is crispy and still tasty. Re-heated in the mic...soggy and unappetizing. Just me, I guess.
What about board games? Gaming unplugged. Nothing but cardboard and the occasional piece of plastic.

Might I suggest one of my favorites, a game called Splendor.

Here's a little about it: Splendor | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

It's not as good as reheated pizza on a wood burning stove, but it might be entertaining enough to keep the television off for a while!
Backgammon is the most exciting.

Chess is a good calmer after backgammon.

Solitaire with cards is great for when you are alone.

Nothing beats poker however.
I agree about solitaire when alone, although I prefer a book or other project. When the partner or other company is around, cribbage is the game of choice. Children around, we play Monopoly or some other board game. Uno is enormous fun when more than 2-3 people are available.

We've played a lot of Uno but once we played Skip Bo, another good group game, Uno lost most of its favor.

Morning all!

Foxy - I can't stand crows. A few years ago, a belligerent bunch took over our neighborhood. Now, we hardly ever see the morning doves and songbirds that used to nest every year.

Actually that's mourning doves, with a U. Named for their plaintive wistful sound. :)

Ah, thank you for the correction. I'm not a bird watcher, but I do love those sweet soft grey doves. One year, I saw over a dozen of them in the persimmon tree that hangs over into our yard. So beautiful.

I agree. But while I dislike the bird bullies--grackles, jays, crows etc. when they are in bully mode--I think pigeons might be my least favorite of all common birds. When flocks settle on rooftops or congregate over walkways, driveways, etc. they make such an offensive mess.

I fed the street pigeons when I went to town today to get my food. I give them old bread. I owe pigeons big time because I used to shoot them with a shotgun when I was a youth. Even though it was fifty years ago that's the one thing I regret doing. Really, they are clever birds, that survive in every city in the world.

But they're spreading a flu and making trash!

Morning all!

I can't stand pigeons - but Canadian geese are The Worst. Filthy and disgusting. Bleah.
I love Canada geese, especially with corn bread stuffing and mashed taters.

I can't stand pigeons - but Canadian geese are The Worst. Filthy and disgusting. Bleah.

Sorry, but ick. The ones I see while walking around Lake Merritt are beyond disgusting. I would have to be starving (literally) to consume one.

I will note that each fall, there seems to be a secret harvest of Canadian geese. I suspect that it is Chinese Thanksgiving Turkey given how I see quite a few old Chinese Grandmas aggressively feeding the geese in the preceding weeks prior to The Disappearance.

A sad day here. The expectant doe finally birthed her kids. The first one came just fine, the second was less fortunate because its head was turned back over its flank. I had to assist and of course its neck was broken, so it was stillborn. Two really BIG kids, too. Now, I'm concerned because the mom has not passed the placenta like she should have. I'm doing what I can, but it remains to be seen how things will turn out. At least the one kid has been feeding well, getting colostrum and staying warm.
It's been staying above freezing and everything is melting...what a mess! But it happens every year and is not unexpected, just a PITA.

Take a beer or something else and have a good relax! Early spring weather is not so good, all is melting and dirty... But some days later it would be warm and dry! Here all snow already gone with a rains and now is excellent, dry and fresh weather with about 50F! Hope, this weather will share to you place too...

We still have snow and ice because it still gets down to freezing at night. The roads are pretty good, though. Just a few patches where water drains over the road surface, but it isn't freezing to ice anymore. We will have warmer temperatures soon, too. Things will start to turn green and springtime fresh.

View attachment 120324

Hope it's a great day for everyone, we are warm today, 85 but I'm just still waiting for the plumber. I'm also a little sore because I twisted and turned yesterday in ways I haven't in awhile. Not just under the sink but since I cleaned that area out to be ready for the plumber I felt energized and did a lot of spring type cleaning.
I always get a kick out of the push for college degrees, university education. If more people only knew what a plumber earns per hour! Of course, they do have to often put there faces where other people put their butts...but, hell, the pay is pretty good. And they get to make their own hours, too. If a plumber doesn't want to make a house call on weekends or holidays, they don't really have to.
I'm also getting that Spring cleaning feeling but most of those bigger projects will have to wait until after the semester ends first week of May. By then, everything should be fairly well thawed out.

Take a beer or something else and have a good relax! Early spring weather is not so good, all is melting and dirty... But some days later it would be warm and dry! Here all snow already gone with a rains and now is excellent, dry and fresh weather with about 50F! Hope, this weather will share to you place too...

We still have snow and ice because it still gets down to freezing at night. The roads are pretty good, though. Just a few patches where water drains over the road surface, but it isn't freezing to ice anymore. We will have warmer temperatures soon, too. Things will start to turn green and springtime fresh.
In the Rocky Mountains the ducks and geese are returning now.

Sorry, but ick. The ones I see while walking around Lake Merritt are beyond disgusting. I would have to be starving (literally) to consume one.

I will note that each fall, there seems to be a secret harvest of Canadian geese. I suspect that it is Chinese Thanksgiving Turkey given how I see quite a few old Chinese Grandmas aggressively feeding the geese in the preceding weeks prior to The Disappearance.
If SHTF then you will be eating geese, dogs, cats, rats, mice, opossums, squirrels, raccoons and anything you can get your hands on.

That's what happened in WW2 Germany near the end.

And when you run out of small animals to eat then you will start eating each other.

That's what happened in WW1 Russia near the end.

Don't get me wrong. I just appreciate a simple life. I'm really PO'd that my a-hole partner has acquired a microwave oven for the place. He can also not envision living without TV/cable. One of his friends will leave Willow to come back to Anchorage to watch his team play...I'm not sure what they play, but this guy has to see it. So, we have to have to offer games at the cabin so my partner's buddy will stay around. Dumb shit, IMHO. Personally, I appreciate not having all the extraneous crap we have burdened ourselves with. I use cast iron cook ware and re-heat pizza (rare treat) on the wood burner. It's loads better than a microwave, the crust is crispy and still tasty. Re-heated in the mic...soggy and unappetizing. Just me, I guess.
What about board games? Gaming unplugged. Nothing but cardboard and the occasional piece of plastic.

It's not as good as reheated pizza on a wood burning stove, but it might be entertaining enough to keep the television off for a while!

I agree about solitaire when alone, although I prefer a book or other project. When the partner or other company is around, cribbage is the game of choice. Children around, we play Monopoly or some other board game. Uno is enormous fun when more than 2-3 people are available.

We've played a lot of Uno but once we played Skip Bo, another good group game, Uno lost most of its favor.

If I can ever get enough people together, I'd like to try that game, too. My daughter introduced me to a game "Cards Against Humanity". It's a lot of fun, but you tend to use references that might not be familiar enough to everyone in order to be funny.

If I can ever get enough people together, I'd like to try that game, too. My daughter introduced me to a game "Cards Against Humanity". It's a lot of fun, but you tend to use references that might not be familiar enough to everyone in order to be funny.
That's why 2 person games are better -- you need less people.

Backgammon and Chess are perfect 2 person games.

Scrabble is a perfect 2 to 4 person game.

Liars dice is great with 2 to 6 people. But you need a whole lot of dice and cups.

Oh, I wouldn't eat pond geese from around here, either. Fresh caught, wild geese are quite tasty, though. Domestic geese and ducks are greasy and not very tasty. Wild geese and ducks are much leaner and have a richer flavor, strong-ish and some people might call them gamey.

If SHTF then you will be eating geese, dogs, cats, rats, mice, opossums, squirrels, raccoons and anything you can get your hands on.

That's what happened in WW2 Germany near the end.

And when you run out of small animals to eat then you will start eating each other.

That's what happened in WW1 Russia near the end.

It all tastes like chicken, except long pork.

That's why 2 person games are better -- you need less people.

Backgammon and Chess are perfect 2 person games.

Scrabble is a perfect 2 to 4 person game.

Liars dice is great with 2 to 6 people. But you need a whole lot of dice and cups.

Cribbage is the camp favorite here. When I taught my SIL to play Crib, I created a monster, but a monster who makes the game very challenging. I used to play Backgammon and would have to teach my partner to play, if I can find my old board.

In the Rocky Mountains the ducks and geese are returning now.

I've been hearing the geese flying over headed north for awhile now. I would image our winter sanctuaries are emptying out now.

Forum List

Back