🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

IMG_0108.JPG
Me...a few months ago.

I try to cook my own food, when I can. I know it's better for me than grabbing a burger or taco on the run. I even make my own ketchup and mayo. I hate the fact that sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup are major components of store-bought foodstuffs. I started reading labels after diagnosed with high blood pressure and I felt I needed to lose weight. Amazing, the garbage we take for granted when shopping for dinner.

All very true....I am a healthy eater usually and avoid anything from a can.

I do watch my sodium and that's kept my BP normal and I don't have to take any meds for it.

I eat a lot of veggies and basically chicken or fish...yes, I'll use a pan for that but my veggies I do microwave unless it's salad.

I'm 5'4" and weigh anywhere from 125 to 128 lbs. did gain 30 lbs when I quit smoking 9 years ago but lost it doing low carb...still avoid bad carbs.

Also will be 66 on the 18th of this month.
You're about the same height as I am, but I've gotcha by about 80 lbs, which I am constantly trying to shed.

South beach or the 17 day diet worked the best for me...Atkins is too low carb. Weight watchers didn't work for me at all.

I'm also someone who has to eat something every couple hours so I try to keep even my meal calories on the low side because I'm always eating. :)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. I just appreciate a simple life. I'm really PO'd that my a-hole partner has acquired a microwave oven for the place. He can also not envision living without TV/cable. One of his friends will leave Willow to come back to Anchorage to watch his team play...I'm not sure what they play, but this guy has to see it. So, we have to have to offer games at the cabin so my partner's buddy will stay around. Dumb shit, IMHO. Personally, I appreciate not having all the extraneous crap we have burdened ourselves with. I use cast iron cook ware and re-heat pizza (rare treat) on the wood burner. It's loads better than a microwave, the crust is crispy and still tasty. Re-heated in the mic...soggy and unappetizing. Just me, I guess.
What about board games? Gaming unplugged. Nothing but cardboard and the occasional piece of plastic.

Might I suggest one of my favorites, a game called Splendor.

Here's a little about it: Splendor | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

It's not as good as reheated pizza on a wood burning stove, but it might be entertaining enough to keep the television off for a while!

Morning all!

Foxy - I can't stand crows. A few years ago, a belligerent bunch took over our neighborhood. Now, we hardly ever see the morning doves and songbirds that used to nest every year.

Actually that's mourning doves, with a U. Named for their plaintive wistful sound. :)

Ah, thank you for the correction. I'm not a bird watcher, but I do love those sweet soft grey doves. One year, I saw over a dozen of them in the persimmon tree that hangs over into our yard. So beautiful.
Their call is the purr of the bird world. Pigeons are pretty close.

I agree. But while I dislike the bird bullies--grackles, jays, crows etc. when they are in bully mode--I think pigeons might be my least favorite of all common birds. When flocks settle on rooftops or congregate over walkways, driveways, etc. they make such an offensive mess.

I can't stand pigeons - but Canadian geese are The Worst. Filthy and disgusting. Bleah.

Morning all!

Foxy - I can't stand crows. A few years ago, a belligerent bunch took over our neighborhood. Now, we hardly ever see the morning doves and songbirds that used to nest every year.

Actually that's mourning doves, with a U. Named for their plaintive wistful sound. :)

Ah, thank you for the correction. I'm not a bird watcher, but I do love those sweet soft grey doves. One year, I saw over a dozen of them in the persimmon tree that hangs over into our yard. So beautiful.

I agree. But while I dislike the bird bullies--grackles, jays, crows etc. when they are in bully mode--I think pigeons might be my least favorite of all common birds. When flocks settle on rooftops or congregate over walkways, driveways, etc. they make such an offensive mess.

I can't stand pigeons - but Canadian geese are The Worst. Filthy and disgusting. Bleah.
A friend of mine has a side line business. He raises swans and rents them out to golf courses. As it turns out, swans feel the same way about Canadian geese and will relentlessly chase them off.

Don't monkey around with a pissed off signet!

There should be one place in the USMB village where folks can just be themselves and get to know each other as we would if we lived next door or worked together or joined the same gym.

This is a place to just come in and say hi, let us know what's going on with you these days, celebrate joys, concerns, jokes, music, hobbies, interests, love and life.

So check your spurs, sidearms, politics, and religious fussing at the door, come in to enjoy an adult beverage or a hot cup of coffee and a piece of pie or whatever comforts your soul, and let's just enjoy each other.

04dKB.jpg
Nice photo.

Nice bar too.

My cat loves chasing pigeons.

We have several that roost around our apartment buildings.

When he sees one on the ground he races after it and jumps high up into the air to try catching it.

He turns into a veritable lion around them.

So pigeons are good for that much at least.

Don't get me wrong. I just appreciate a simple life. I'm really PO'd that my a-hole partner has acquired a microwave oven for the place. He can also not envision living without TV/cable. One of his friends will leave Willow to come back to Anchorage to watch his team play...I'm not sure what they play, but this guy has to see it. So, we have to have to offer games at the cabin so my partner's buddy will stay around. Dumb shit, IMHO. Personally, I appreciate not having all the extraneous crap we have burdened ourselves with. I use cast iron cook ware and re-heat pizza (rare treat) on the wood burner. It's loads better than a microwave, the crust is crispy and still tasty. Re-heated in the mic...soggy and unappetizing. Just me, I guess.
What about board games? Gaming unplugged. Nothing but cardboard and the occasional piece of plastic.

It's not as good as reheated pizza on a wood burning stove, but it might be entertaining enough to keep the television off for a while!
Backgammon is the most exciting.

Chess is a good calmer after backgammon.

Solitaire with cards is great for when you are alone.

Nothing beats poker however.

I try to cook my own food, when I can. I know it's better for me than grabbing a burger or taco on the run. I even make my own ketchup and mayo. I hate the fact that sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup are major components of store-bought foodstuffs. I started reading labels after diagnosed with high blood pressure and I felt I needed to lose weight. Amazing, the garbage we take for granted when shopping for dinner.

All very true....I am a healthy eater usually and avoid anything from a can.

I do watch my sodium and that's kept my BP normal and I don't have to take any meds for it.

I eat a lot of veggies and basically chicken or fish...yes, I'll use a pan for that but my veggies I do microwave unless it's salad.

I'm 5'4" and weigh anywhere from 125 to 128 lbs. did gain 30 lbs when I quit smoking 9 years ago but lost it doing low carb...still avoid bad carbs.

Also will be 66 on the 18th of this month.
You're about the same height as I am, but I've gotcha by about 80 lbs, which I am constantly trying to shed.

South beach or the 17 day diet worked the best for me...Atkins is too low carb. Weight watchers didn't work for me at all.

I'm also someone who has to eat something every couple hours so I try to keep even my meal calories on the low side because I'm always eating. :)
I like the paleo diet format, I am very picky about my meat, which has to be lean, lean, lean. And the veggies recommended for paleo are favorites of mine, mostly. Hardest for me, I love cheese.

Backgammon is the most exciting.

Chess is a good calmer after backgammon.

Solitaire with cards is great for when you are alone.

Nothing beats poker however.
I agree about solitaire when alone, although I prefer a book or other project. When the partner or other company is around, cribbage is the game of choice. Children around, we play Monopoly or some other board game. Uno is enormous fun when more than 2-3 people are available.

Board games are definitely a mainstay at my place. Sometimes, it's tough when you're alone or only two-three people are around. I'm a reader, so I never lack for something to do, as long as the light allows, I'll have a book in my claws. But there are many, many other things to occupy your time when you heat with wood or build your own, or have livestock.

The planned move up to Albuquerque area is proceeding apace. Visited the Credit Union this morning and found out I qualify on my own for 135K though the monthly payments would be much higher than I could manage right now so we're looking up to 125K with a 50K down payment, that would make the payments much more affordable and get us a house that's not beat up. The wife is looking exclusively for jobs in and around Albuquerque and once she's employed we can most likely double up our monthly payments and do some minor remodeling/upgrades.

Morning all!

So the poop gets to you.
Pigeons are pretty--ever notice their feathers are luminescent in the sun and their song is such a soft, gentle coo. I love the way their right leg seems to be attached to their neck, and when the leg goes forward the neck sticks out. Funny. Sorry they poop, but we all gotta sometime.

Well Plumber just called to reschedule for tomorrow between 11-1...oh well, it's not urgent.

I might even fix it myself...give it another try. :)
What's the plumbing problem?

My disposal, can't reset the button and my sink isn't draining...I got lots of help from members on here but I'm just not able to do it.
Do you have a crow bar or any fairly long heavy metal bar? You can use that to turn the blades which might be stuck. The other thing to do first is check the circuit breaker and make sure the breaker for the disposal hasn't tripped.

Forum List

Back