USMB Coffee Shop IV

Spent on hour and a half picking twigs, branches and leaves out of a yard, including some rock beds. Thanks tons for the picture. Now get the twigs and leaves out of there.
The leaf is the special part.

It looks like a cross held by the rock. (Hand and Nail)

I think the symbolism's quite lovely on this day.

My great great nephew at the grocery store yesterday.
17903840_1324733967624404_8043614725913216266_n.jpg
Welp, we found BD's pooka.......

And I just got this in my e-mail. Probably most of you can't relate. And those of us who can are the last of that generation.

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES:

1. You had to hang the socks by the toes, not the top.
2. You hung pants by the bottom/cuffs and not the waistband.
3. You had to wasg the clothesline(s) before hanging any clothes. This was done by walking the entire length of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.
4. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang whites with whites and hang them first.
5. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?
6. Wash day on a Monday! Clothes were not hung on weekend if there was any way to avoid it and absolutely not on Sunday.
7. Sheets and towels were hung on the outside lines to hide the 'unmentionables' in the middle. (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)
8. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather... clothes would "freeze-dry."
9. ALWAYS gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky"! (Also they would get dirty that would transfer to wet clothes.)
10. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.
11. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed. IRONED??!! Well, that's a whole OTHER subject!
12. Long wooden pole (clothes pole) that was used to push the clotheslines up so that longer items (sheets/bedspreads etc.) didn't brush the ground and get dirty.

And now a POEM..

A clothesline was a news forecast,
to neighbors passing by,
there were no secrets you could keep,
when clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link,
for neighbors always knew,
if company had stopped on by
to spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the "fancy sheets",
and towels upon the line;
you'd see the "company table cloths"
with intricate designs.

The line announced a baby's birth,
from folks who lived inside,
as brand new infant clothes were hung,
so carefully with pride!

The ages of the children could,
so readily be known,
by watching how the sizes changed,
you'd know how much they'd grown!

It also told when illness struck,
as extra sheets were hung;
then nightclothes, and a bathrobe too,
haphazardly were strung.

It also said, "On vacation now",
when lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged,
with not an inch to spare!

New folks in town were scorned upon,
if wash was dingy and gray,
as neighbors carefully raised their brows,
and looked the other way.

But clotheslines now are of the past,
for dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home,
is anybody's guess!

I really miss that way of life,
it was a friendly sign,
when neighbors knew each other best
by what hung on the line.
I grew up with clotheslines, it's almost sad to see those empty, unused square and rectangular clothes lines standing as silent sentinels to the past in back yards. I still have a line up specifically to dry the large cotton blankets, comforters and towels, however I do have to run them through the drier for about 15 minutes or they're too stiff, the towels take on a wood rasp quality.

And I just got this in my e-mail. Probably most of you can't relate. And those of us who can are the last of that generation.

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES:

1. You had to hang the socks by the toes, not the top.
2. You hung pants by the bottom/cuffs and not the waistband.
3. You had to wasg the clothesline(s) before hanging any clothes. This was done by walking the entire length of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.
4. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang whites with whites and hang them first.
5. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?
6. Wash day on a Monday! Clothes were not hung on weekend if there was any way to avoid it and absolutely not on Sunday.
7. Sheets and towels were hung on the outside lines to hide the 'unmentionables' in the middle. (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)
8. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather... clothes would "freeze-dry."
9. ALWAYS gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky"! (Also they would get dirty that would transfer to wet clothes.)
10. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.
11. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed. IRONED??!! Well, that's a whole OTHER subject!
12. Long wooden pole (clothes pole) that was used to push the clotheslines up so that longer items (sheets/bedspreads etc.) didn't brush the ground and get dirty.

And now a POEM..

A clothesline was a news forecast,
to neighbors passing by,
there were no secrets you could keep,
when clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link,
for neighbors always knew,
if company had stopped on by
to spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the "fancy sheets",
and towels upon the line;
you'd see the "company table cloths"
with intricate designs.

The line announced a baby's birth,
from folks who lived inside,
as brand new infant clothes were hung,
so carefully with pride!

The ages of the children could,
so readily be known,
by watching how the sizes changed,
you'd know how much they'd grown!

It also told when illness struck,
as extra sheets were hung;
then nightclothes, and a bathrobe too,
haphazardly were strung.

It also said, "On vacation now",
when lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged,
with not an inch to spare!

New folks in town were scorned upon,
if wash was dingy and gray,
as neighbors carefully raised their brows,
and looked the other way.

But clotheslines now are of the past,
for dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home,
is anybody's guess!

I really miss that way of life,
it was a friendly sign,
when neighbors knew each other best
by what hung on the line.
Still, nothing smells as good as sheets dried on the line.
Clothesline'd anything always smells better than dryer'd.
Depends on what is clotheslined.......... :eusa_whistle:

And...today I am back to wearing two pair of pants, a sweater and my coat I have not taken off since I got up this morning. And...its raining buckets.

Oy.

But...on the bright side..its nice to see both Ropey and Toro here in the nice/warm/cozy coffee shop!

Also..just finished watching The Newton Boys on netflix. It was great! If you haven't seen it...do give it a go.

And...today I am back to wearing two pair of pants, a sweater and my coat I have not taken off since I got up this morning. And...its raining buckets.

Oy.
Rain, rain...... I seem to remember something called rain...... Nope but I'm sure it'll come back to me sometime around June......... :eusa_whistle:

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca's dad and brother,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, Spoonman, and all others we miss and hope to return.

And in the last hours of Easter Sunday, sunset over Jerusalem
dsc_0420.jpg

DSCN0297.JPG

First fox photo of the year, and I am already worried. The fox tore a new hole in the neighbours patio and climbed down inside. I thought at first it would be trapped, but it managed to climb out. Now I am worried that if it has cubs down that hole they will not be able to climb out. Do foxes think of such things,? I wonder.

I have to clean out my fridge today. Something stinks in there. I'm scared. :eek:
Hopefully when you're done, you'll come attend to mine. There is stuff in there that was already gone when I broke mt knee.
Hi Ernie! :bye1:
How are you? How is your knee today? :)
Getting a bit better every day, Esther. Progress isn't nearly as fast as I'd like, but every day I feel a bit better.
I'm happy to know that Ernie :)
Your progress is not so fast but I'm sure you'll be ok sooner than you think :smiliehug:

I have been up since 6am fox watching and I wrote a letter to the next door neighbour telling them about the fox hole in their patio, but since they have not come out to look at it I think they may be away for the holidays.
That will be awkward because the foxes may start having cubs under the patio while the neighbours are away.
Then they may want to fill in the hole trapping the foxes under the patio.
I am going to have to set the alarm for 6am every morning to keep an eye on the foxes.

I have been up since 6am fox watching and I wrote a letter to the next door neighbour telling them about the fox hole in their patio, but since they have not come out to look at it I think they may be away for the holidays.
That will be awkward because the foxes may start having cubs under the patio while the neighbours are away.
I am going to have to set the alarm for 6am every morning to keep an eye on the foxes.
6 a.m.? Every morning? piangoe.gif

6 a.m.? Every morning? View attachment 122016

I sometimes wake up early and look out the window for foxes. They are usually out until about 7am then they disappear for the day. But now I have to set the alarm to make sure I wake up to see if the foxes are nesting under the patio.

Forum List

Back