USMB Coffee Shop IV

Still on West Wing. But I am now kind of wandering between episodes. Hell, I have 4 more seasons to go. Or rather, 3 and a half with about 24 episodes each. Should tide me over for another week.:lol:

I have started watching 13 Reasons Why, a recent Netflix show about a high school girl's suicide. It's pretty good so far, but high school was nothing like what the show portrays for me. Of course, that's true of pretty much every show or movie about high school. :p

High school was a great time for me--good friends, great music, sock hops in the gymnasium, all kinds of interest clubs, great community spirit, and visions of a future ripe with opportunity and possibilities. There was alcohol but most of us ignored it. Drugs were not an issue then. I worked as a copy girl at the Santa Fe New Mexican where I was privileged to meet Tony Hillerman who was the city editor--I would later work as a reporter with him as editor. College was even better.

Times are very different now.
I hated high school. I was not in with the cool kids and was not in with the nerds. I was a loner then just as I am now. Neither group had anything I was interested in. The "hoods" (bad boys and girls and was thusly named by my Dad) were just another group...couldn't bully them because they were not really bullies but you also knew they wouldn't take you shit and you might wind up with a few teeth knocked out if you tried, nor did they go looking for trouble. They just hung out in their own little section of the quad or thumbed their noses at the rules you could not leave the quad during lunch and sat around in the park being all hoody and bad ass, lol. I was welcome in their group but stuck to myself because although I might have fit in with them better...I still had nothing in common with them.
I loathed the jocks and cheerleader types...was not smart enough to hang with the brainy nerds. Only thing left was to enjoy my own company. Which I did.
I have been invited to many reunions and every time I was contacted I said the same thing:
I wasn't interested then...and I haven't changed my mind even now. No thanks.
They finally left me alone after the 40th year reunion.

I had less of a good experience in the small town school I started highschool in--there I wasn't one of the 'popular' kids and was pretty much a social misfit. But I still had my music and other activities that were better than going home.

When we moved to Santa Fe, though, it was wonderful. I made some of the best friends I have ever had, and they still are, and it was good.

Drugs/booze, social media, bullies, a more dangerous world, and more mean spirited world. . .all of it are realities these days. Not so much when I was a kid. High school and a close knit community in college was for me was sort of my rescue net and rehab all rolled into one--home life wasn't wonderful at all. In a way maybe that's why I value the Coffee Shop as the only safe haven from a less than friendly and supportive message board world out there.

The CS family has brightened my life more than you probably know. :)

The rest of the board is not safe? I am out there "helping" everyday.

High school was good, I guess. I had a 3.55 with little studying. I was not into sports, senior year the coach wanted me to play football, but I thought it was too late. A normal day was getting to my after school job which I liked. Was not a drinker, so I didn't go to parties. My social life was very limited. Had many good friends and memories despite my after school choices. College was tough as I never developed study skills. Got it figured out though and had very respectable grades. Weird thing is I am probably more athletic today than most of my classmates at this point.

Now that Foxfyre made me muse on my high school days (lol), I enjoyed being a loner and if anyone bothered to look for me, I would be on the lawn, under a tree and sitting on the grass, watching birds in the branches or bugs crawling along the ground or just playing with a blade of grass. Yes. In high school. I haven't changed much. I just did that today...just as I did yesterday. ;)

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, mom, and family,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others we miss and hope to return.

Sunset over Paradise, CA
50ebe2a24042c5b2fb98530e4a2de19b.jpg

Now that Foxfyre made me muse on my high school days (lol), I enjoyed being a loner and if anyone bothered to look for me, I would be on the lawn, under a tree and sitting on the grass, watching birds in the branches or bugs crawling along the ground or just playing with a blade of grass. Yes. In high school. I haven't changed much. I just did that today...just as I did yesterday. ;)

I couldn't have helped raised the little one without changing quite a bit from when I was in high school. I was much too angry and depressed then to deal with a child. I also had a whole lot more hair in high school. :lol: The little one actually preferred me with my hair.

Still on West Wing. But I am now kind of wandering between episodes. Hell, I have 4 more seasons to go. Or rather, 3 and a half with about 24 episodes each. Should tide me over for another week.:lol:

I have started watching 13 Reasons Why, a recent Netflix show about a high school girl's suicide. It's pretty good so far, but high school was nothing like what the show portrays for me. Of course, that's true of pretty much every show or movie about high school. :p

High school was a great time for me--good friends, great music, sock hops in the gymnasium, all kinds of interest clubs, great community spirit, and visions of a future ripe with opportunity and possibilities. There was alcohol but most of us ignored it. Drugs were not an issue then. I worked as a copy girl at the Santa Fe New Mexican where I was privileged to meet Tony Hillerman who was the city editor--I would later work as a reporter with him as editor. College was even better.

Times are very different now.

My stepson is 18 and he's a great kid....but yeah times are different. Social media has not brought young people closer together imho....it has separated them in many ways. My stepson is very involved in music and that is basically his social outlet. Without it...I don't know.....but probably not good.

Kids are generally much less involved in things today and definitely more estranged from each other. They are much less willing to risk in social situations than my generation. Frankly, I find it kind of sad...but I guess you can't stop progress.

It was a discovery for me, kids more like to look "let-s-play" video, than playing themselves...

It's been kind of chilly here lately. We had a couple of beautiful days last week (one day it was 80!), but now it almost feels like winter again. It's early yet though. It will probably warm up a bit, but it's only 39 right now. Brr! I want it to be in the 60s anyways!!

Hi to all! I'm with you again... What's happening now in your different pieces of Earth?

Hiya Sbiker. I had noticed you hadn't posted in awhile. Did you get moved or is that still on your to do list?

Things are pretty calm right now though it seems that a lot of us are in some state of flux these days.

It's been kind of chilly here lately. We had a couple of beautiful days last week (one day it was 80!), but now it almost feels like winter again. It's early yet though. It will probably warm up a bit, but it's only 39 right now. Brr! I want it to be in the 60s anyways!!

Wow, you have a new, beautiful ava.... I've just forgot, what about we talking, looking at this :)

Hi to all! I'm with you again... What's happening now in your different pieces of Earth?

Hiya Sbiker. I had noticed you hadn't posted in awhile. Did you get moved or is that still on your to do list?

Things are pretty calm right now though it seems that a lot of us are in some state of flux these days.

I've just successfully tried to change my living place to Moscow. A giantic, terrible place with a lot of people and opportunities :)

Good morning everyone, Ive kind of not been on as much lately and won't for a few more days, busy after coming back from the coast, plus blood work tomorrow and drs appt on Wednesday...routine but I hate it.

I've also been binge watching Netflix some, lol....right now I'm watching an old English Series..."Green Wing"...cracks me up! Think it's from 2004.

Besides my middle sister and her having to put her dog down, there is concern with my baby sister who is very sick now...no real diagnosis yet...not fatal and not cancer but pretty bad....don't want to post her medical info though on a public forum....she's 15 years younger than me, she'll be 51 next month!

She's also the furthest in distance from me....New Jersey.

Good morning everyone, Ive kind of not been on as much lately and won't for a few more days, busy after coming back from the coast, plus blood work tomorrow and drs appt on Wednesday...routine but I hate it.

I've also been binge watching Netflix some, lol....right now I'm watching an old English Series..."Green Wing"...cracks me up! Think it's from 2004.

Besides my middle sister and her having to put her dog down, there is concern with my baby sister who is very sick now...no real diagnosis yet...not fatal and not cancer but pretty bad....don't want to post her medical info though on a public forum....she's 15 years younger than me, she'll be 51 next month!

She's also the furthest in distance from me....New Jersey.

So sorry CeeCee. Unless you object, I will put her on the vigil list.

I've just successfully tried to change my living place to Moscow. A giantic, terrible place with a lot of people and opportunities :)

Well since that was your goal, congratulations. I think what you have described is probably every really big city in the world. :)

I'm a small town girl at heart though. Albuquerque, at about a half million, is our biggest city to ever live in; Amarillo at much less than half of that was the second. Everywhere else we have lived has been under 50,000 people, at least when we lived there. And while we will probably live out our days here in Albuquerque, I do miss the small town environment.

Last edited:
Thinking of boedicca tonight and wondering how her dad and brother are.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Hombre's sore toes,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca's dad and brother,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, Spoonman, and all others we miss and hope to return.

The sea turtles are beginning to return to western Caribbean beaches to lay their eggs.
91865b6cd1910dffc14c43ff101fb0c6.jpg

Thank you, hun!

My brother is still in hospital, recovering from surgery - it went very well so we are hopeful.

Dad is in bad shape; we need to move him to a care facility - he's declining fairly rapidly. And I feel like bones - my mother is going nuts. She definitely needs some meds, or something. Perhaps a bottle of scotch.

Good news re your brother, but so sorry about your dad. And not easy when you have to be the rock for both of your parents.

Thank you! My other siblings are sharing the load. I couldn't imagine handling all of this by myself.

That is a blessing. Except for Hombre's help, which is a huge blessing, I pretty much have it alone here dealing with my aunt, friend Dana who has no family here, etc. We all do it as an act of love, but it is not easy.

Well, things went way down hill last night. Dad is back in the hospital. And my brother has relapsed, so still there as well. Going to hospital later this am for meeting with family and doctor. Not sure what is going to happen.

Thinking of boedicca tonight and wondering how her dad and brother are.

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Hombre's sore toes,
Ernie!!!
Boedicca's dad and brother,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Sixfoot, Spoonman, and all others we miss and hope to return.

The sea turtles are beginning to return to western Caribbean beaches to lay their eggs.
91865b6cd1910dffc14c43ff101fb0c6.jpg

Thank you, hun!

My brother is still in hospital, recovering from surgery - it went very well so we are hopeful.

Dad is in bad shape; we need to move him to a care facility - he's declining fairly rapidly. And I feel like bones - my mother is going nuts. She definitely needs some meds, or something. Perhaps a bottle of scotch.

Good news re your brother, but so sorry about your dad. And not easy when you have to be the rock for both of your parents.

Thank you! My other siblings are sharing the load. I couldn't imagine handling all of this by myself.

That is a blessing. Except for Hombre's help, which is a huge blessing, I pretty much have it alone here dealing with my aunt, friend Dana who has no family here, etc. We all do it as an act of love, but it is not easy.

Well, things went way down hill last night. Dad is back in the hospital. And my brother has relapsed, so still there as well. Going to hospital later this am for meeting with family and doctor. Not sure what is going to happen.

Well prayers and all kinds of positive vibes and supportive thoughts I know are headed your way.

I agree with Sbiker re your new Avi, Chris--very pretty. The setting is a bit unusual for a glamour shot though. :)

Well since that was your goal, congratulations. I think what you have described is probably every really big city in the world. :)

It's not my only goal, just a step to earn some money and travel to different places... But I think, from Moscow I could find next job somewhere in EU or US a bit easily... :)

I'm a small town girl at heart though. Albuquerque, at about a half million, is our biggest city to ever live in; Amarillo at much less than half of that was the second. Everywhere else we have lived has been under 50,000 people, at least when we lived there. And while we will probably live out our days here in Albuquerque, I do miss the small town environment.

It's interesting, but Russian cities usually more dence. We have about 15 millionaire cities, but usually without huge agglomerations, like in US. But I don't care, how much people in city I working, only how much opportunities to have a good job :)) Usually one shop, one pub and one bank are enough for my existence anywhere :)))

Forum List

Back