USMB Coffee Shop IV

I get gout every few months.

It usually lasts only one day.

It is usually in one of my feet. Usually one foot or the other.

Usually its after I come off a good bender.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Hombre for wellness.
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, Ernie S. and all others we hope will return.

The spring flowers survived our late freeze and it is beautiful. I pray that we all will survive our own winters as well and more beautiful days are ahead.
9248b4258e650bcb929eb91ec144ffc0.jpg
Just wondering if these are peyote buttons ?!

Hi yiosthey. No, peyote buttons are a smaller cactus though they can grow in fairly large clumps. Not sure what these are called but they are popular as decorative landscape plants.

Saga report.......
Saturday we went back up to Albuquerque to try and get a house (rental) then drove home. the previous Wednesday morning I woke up, stepped down getting out of bed and had serious ankle/heel pain, it eased up as the day progressed but hurt every time I walked on it. By Friday it was bad enough I went to Beaumont ER, no swelling or redness, they took x-rays but nothing found and they gave me codeine and a referral to a podiatrist. Sunday we went up to Alamogordo but my foot/heel was hurting so bad we came back home immediately and by 6PM my foot/heel was so painful that even two codeine pills had no effect and even moving the foot was severely painful so at 7PM we were back in the ER........ discussion as to the possible causes, (there was swelling this time) a few hours later they did labwork and hit me with an antibiotic and dilaudid, a couple hours later the suspected diagnosis was confirmed........gout..........
I never would have guessed gout was that excruciatingly painful.

It can be terribly painful, even debilitating and over a long period, repeated attacks can damage kidneys and joints. But blessedly it is treatable.

Hombre takes a daily dose of allopurinol as he was having recurring gout attacks. A cheap med with essentially no side effects. Even then he would occasionally will have a flair up and has to take a dose of two of the much more harsh cortisteroids and once had an attack in his knee so bad he could scarcely stand and that time they put him on a short term heavy prednisone treatment.

So I don't give him aspirin for pain--he does take a baby aspirin every day for heart heath--no organ meats, limit his pinto beans to once in awhile instead of a regular staple, shell fish only now and then, cut out high fructose corn syrup, and smaller portions of red meat that is also is not every day anymore. We don't drink alcohol so beer consumption, another significant trigger, is not a factor. Nsaids are okay--ibuprophen or naproxen and unlike the codeine painkillers, these are anti-inflammatory drugs that help with gout pain.

And no more gout attacks.

Last edited:
Saga report.......
Saturday we went back up to Albuquerque to try and get a house (rental) then drove home. the previous Wednesday morning I woke up, stepped down getting out of bed and had serious ankle/heel pain, it eased up as the day progressed but hurt every time I walked on it. By Friday it was bad enough I went to Beaumont ER, no swelling or redness, they took x-rays but nothing found and they gave me codeine and a referral to a podiatrist. Sunday we went up to Alamogordo but my foot/heel was hurting so bad we came back home immediately and by 6PM my foot/heel was so painful that even two codeine pills had no effect and even moving the foot was severely painful so at 7PM we were back in the ER........ discussion as to the possible causes, (there was swelling this time) a few hours later they did labwork and hit me with an antibiotic and dilaudid, a couple hours later the suspected diagnosis was confirmed........gout..........
I never would have guessed gout was that excruciatingly painful.
Gout comes from too much meat, too much salt, too much coffee, too much alcohol, and not enough vegetables.

You should minimize your salt asap. Get your salt down to the minimum levels of 1/8th teaspoon per day max. If you start to have muscle cramps then increase the salt in small increments. Sea salt with iodine is better than regular table salt.

You should reduce your coffee and alcohol intake.

Vitamin C helps too.

This attack probably struck you for the first time now that you are in middle age.

Happens to pretty much everybody.

Gout diet: What's allowed, what's not - Mayo Clinic
I've pretty much done all of that except "too much coffee" which is not listed as a high risk activator for gout. We've been eating lite and sea salt for decades, I quit drinking alcohol 30 years ago and it's too much high fat red meat, organ meat (which I hate anyway) and high purine containing seafoods which I've cut our consumption in more than half 20 years ago. I'll be 63 this year, a little past middle age..........
Gout comes from too much uric acid in the blood stream which then crystallizes in lower extremity joints causing excruciating pain.

Major difference from last night, last night I was in so much pain that simple movement caused me to cry out in agony, walking was almost impossible but today it's still sore however nowhere close to the level of pain I was experiencing last night. Took Colchicine last night, two tablets then the last tablet an hour later and they have me on Indocin which I'm supposed to take 3 times a day, they also gave me Norco for pain if i need it.

A few days ago I turned 23 :)
This was my birthday cake....nothing was left :badgrin:

:biggrin:

View attachment 125503

Oh esthermoon. I wish I had known that as we celebrate birthdays of Coffee Shoppers who will tell us when their birthday is.

But the "Happy Birthday' is in English? A very pretty cake it is/was.
Hi Foxfyre thanks! :smiliehug:
I wanted that cake with "happy birthday" in English because it was the best one...the other cakes weren't so beautiful :D
Here it's full of cakes with "happy birthday" or "HB" or even "good birthday" (I think this last one is even uncorrect in English :laugh:) 2.gif

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Hombre for wellness.
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, Ernie S. and all others we hope will return.

The spring flowers survived our late freeze and it is beautiful. I pray that we all will survive our own winters as well and more beautiful days are ahead.
9248b4258e650bcb929eb91ec144ffc0.jpg
Just wondering if these are peyote buttons ?!

Hi yiosthey. No, peyote buttons are a smaller cactus though they can grow in fairly large clumps. Not sure what these are called but they are popular as decorative landscape plants.
They're called Barrel Cacti.

And today...its up to past 80 degrees. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 90s. Then....in 3 days, it goes back to cold again. Jeez.

And today...its up to past 80 degrees. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 90s. Then....in 3 days, it goes back to cold again. Jeez.

Not too different from here though our high are in the low 80's--no 90 degree weather expected until mid June at least. Has been an unusually cool May.

Hot, cold. Mountains here seem to not be able to make up their mind and its making my joints a tad pissy. :lol:

I got more interesting news too....but I gotta have a cig first.

Forum List

Back