USMB Coffee Shop IV

High humidity has my sinuses working overtime not to mention it's time to eliminate potatoes from our diet again. We've been eating far too many and we both feel like super heavy sludge dragging ourselves across the floor......

We tolerate potatoes okay but it is amazing how often we go a whole day without them.

They are so good. Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, grilled potatoes! I love me some taters! :D

I haven't made home fries in a while. Suddenly I have a craving for some home fries! The restaurant home fries are just not the same as home made ones. They have to rush cook them, and home fries are always better if you cook them slow and allow them to get crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth soft on the inside, and they never seem to be able to get the onions right in home fries at the restaurant. They are always over or under cooked.

High humidity has my sinuses working overtime not to mention it's time to eliminate potatoes from our diet again. We've been eating far too many and we both feel like super heavy sludge dragging ourselves across the floor......

We tolerate potatoes okay but it is amazing how often we go a whole day without them.
Normally we limit our potato intake but for some reason we suddenly went on a potato kick. It's time to eliminate them from our diet because as I stated we feel much better without consuming potatoes at all, we know that from experience.

Normally we limit our potato intake but for some reason we suddenly went on a potato kick. It's time to eliminate them from our diet because as I stated we feel much better without consuming potatoes at all, we know that from experience.

Not for "some reason." It's because they are so good! Lol! :lol: Why does all the stuff that isn't so good for you SO tasty anyways? :eusa_eh: What kind of cruel joke is that?

Big hand is on the 19 and the little one is on the eleven. That suppose to mean something?

Sometimes it seemed to me that I caught onto things just a bit slower than others and that was extremely frustrating to me. I wondered at times if I was really slow or stupid, low IQ, all that.

Well my IQ is okay and I can do many things effortlessly that are difficult for others which eventually taught me that we all are given different gifts/talents/abilities or what is generally considered aptitude.

I still remember the first day I managed to tie my own shoes and proudly showed my mother. But rather than complimenting me she told me the shoes were on the wrong feet. :(

And I still remember very well how proud of myself when I first caught on how to read an analog clock. But there was no one to acknowledge the accomplishment. :(

But I suppose most of us overcome such things.

And now there are lots of kids who cannot read an analog clock because they've never had to with most time keeping things being digital. And other accomplishments we all mastered are going by the wayside like learning your multiplication tables or mastering cursive writing.

Good thing? Bad thing? I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Potatoes are soooo delicious though! :( Potatoes with cheese, bacon, scallions, sour cream - those are potatoes from Heaven!
True but I found eons ago that if I stop eating them then start again they sit in my stomach like lead weights all day long. We've been eating potatoes almost every day with meals for the last two weeks, yesterday I finished off a cheeseburger/potato bake I made three days ago and it left me feeling torpid and heavy for the rest of the evening not to mention I felt that way when I went to bed making sleep problematic. I do feel so much better when I remove potatoes from my diet.

I agree that we all do better if we eliminate things from our diet that make us feel bad.
Occasionally eating rice doesn't affect us as badly and we both like rice, high fiber/low carb breads are our choice though I do love Italian and french breads with scads of butter........... Lots of veggies , salads and soups definitely leave us feeling much better. We're cutting our protein intake by half because honestly at our age we don't need as much as we once did.

Not for "some reason." It's because they are so good! Lol! :lol: Why does all the stuff that isn't so good for you SO tasty anyways? :eusa_eh: What kind of cruel joke is that?
I used to say "if it's not high fat, cholesterol laden, salt infused and carcinogenic it's not worth eating.........." That's great when one is a 20 something and even a 30 something and active but now........ Getting old sucks......... :lol:

I used to say "if it's not high fat, cholesterol laden, salt infused and carcinogenic it's not worth eating.........." That's great when one is a 20 something and even a 30 something and active but now........ Getting old sucks......... :lol:

And. . .

IF. . .

we at 20 or 30 something had mostly avoided the foods that are bad for us except as an occasional treat, we might be better off in our older age.

That old cliche that if I had known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself is sooooo true.

Potatoes are soooo delicious though! :( Potatoes with cheese, bacon, scallions, sour cream - those are potatoes from Heaven!
True but I found eons ago that if I stop eating them then start again they sit in my stomach like lead weights all day long. We've been eating potatoes almost every day with meals for the last two weeks, yesterday I finished off a cheeseburger/potato bake I made three days ago and it left me feeling torpid and heavy for the rest of the evening not to mention I felt that way when I went to bed making sleep problematic. I do feel so much better when I remove potatoes from my diet.

I agree that we all do better if we eliminate things from our diet that make us feel bad.
Occasionally eating rice doesn't affect us as badly and we both like rice, high fiber/low carb breads are our choice though I do love Italian and french breads with scads of butter........... Lots of veggies , salads and soups definitely leave us feeling much better. We're cutting our protein intake by half because honestly at our age we don't need as much as we once did.

What about home fries? They are less fatty and less starchy than baked potatoes I think. I always put a bunch of stuff in my baked potatoes, so they are a lot more unhealthy. They are a treat. I always use real butter too. I can use margarine too, but I don't like to use it when cooking because it seems to evaporate a lot faster than real butter.

You can make your home fries healthier by cooking them in olive oil instead of regular oil or butter, but they are probably not as good. :) I usually make mine with a combination of oil and butter (whatever kind of oil I have on hand).

The only thing I regular use algebra for is ratios. But I use basic math - add, subtract, divide, multiply, percentages pretty much daily and I am so grateful I got a good grounding in that.

I've gave up a course of Theory of Probability, when I was student, but it chasing me all my life. Instead of some other areas of algebra... And it seems, I could use it frequently in future, if I want to work with Data Analysis...

What about home fries? They are less fatty and less starchy than baked potatoes I think. I always put a bunch of stuff in my baked potatoes, so they are a lot more unhealthy. They are a treat. I always use real butter too. I can use margarine too, but I don't like to use it when cooking because it seems to evaporate a lot faster than real butter.
Not the way I make them............ :eusa_whistle:

Real butter is real food. Margarine is a chemical compound that I doubt the body even recognizes as food or uses inefficiently in place of food. Many naturopaths hold the opinion that the unstable polysaturated fat in margarine contributes to cancer, heart disease, and inflammation including autoimmune diseases.

While I take such information with a grain of salt, we nevertheless use butter at our house.

I use extra virgin olive oil sparingly on everything now, so home fried potoes with onions, no salt and added seasonings make it delicious.
Just as good as if butter or bacon grease was used, just healthier.
Both of us feel better and healthier on this high protein, low fat ,very low sugar , low salt diet.

Real butter is real food. Margarine is a chemical compound that I doubt the body even recognizes as food or uses inefficiently in place of food. Many naturopaths hold the opinion that the unstable polysaturated fat in margarine contributes to cancer, heart disease, and inflammation including autoimmune diseases.

While I take such information with a grain of salt, we nevertheless use butter at our house.

Butter is better. :D

The only time I really eat gravy is on mashed potatoes or on some meats if they are dry. I like to add wine to my gravy because I like it have a little tanginess. Wine seems to give everything a nice rich flavor.

The only thing I regular use algebra for is ratios. But I use basic math - add, subtract, divide, multiply, percentages pretty much daily and I am so grateful I got a good grounding in that.

I've gave up a course of Theory of Probability, when I was student, but it chasing me all my life. Instead of some other areas of algebra... And it seems, I could use it frequently in future, if I want to work with Data Analysis...

Yes, there is a role for it for sure. And I suppose Calculus would be nigh onto impossible to learn without a solid grounding in algebra. As we discussed here awhile back, my engineer son says he rarely ever needs to use either algebra or calculus in his work because the computers do all that for him. But. . .the guys who write the software for those computers sure have to know it.

Forum List

Back