USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm about to take my third algebra proctored exam. I've done well with the practice test, so we'll see if I can manage to get another 100. :)

I think you will do great. Is this your last math class?

My first, last, and only math class, I think. Higher math isn't exactly a priority for Heath Information Technology. :)

I got 100 again, so I'm 3 for 3 on the proctored exams. It's actually the quizzes, where I can use outside resources, that I've had a few scores below 100. :p

I'm really weird with math. While I seem to have difficulty with simple math, I can do more complicated math. I still have to think about it when adding and subtracting (if it's larger numbers), but I can do algebra, and I actually LIKED it, believe it or not. It seemed more like a game than math for me. I even remember the PEMDAS order for algebra equations. What I hate and my biggest math weakness is word problems. I start to panic whenever I see any word problem, unless it is super simple. :eek:

I did all the simple math's like arithmetic and fractions without any trouble. I could also understand transposition of formulas in electronics. But I could never get a handle on algebra. I passed my city and guilds exam but did not do two equations. I passed on a percentage mark. because I got all the other math's problems right.
I found the idea that a letter represents an unknown number too confusing.

The only thing I regular use algebra for is ratios. But I use basic math - add, subtract, divide, multiply, percentages pretty much daily and I am so grateful I got a good grounding in that.

The only thing I regular use algebra for is ratios. But I use basic math - add, subtract, divide, multiply, percentages pretty much daily and I am so grateful I got a good grounding in that.

Thank you to whoever invented the calculator! :D I use my calculator all the time. OTOH, maybe that's why my math skills are so weak. I don't know. I seem to get confused and make mistakes unless I write it out or use my calculator. I also don't have a lot of confidence in my math skills, which could also be a factor. When I was a kid, I relied on my fingers a lot, and I had this really mean teacher who would call me a "baby" for counting on my fingers. That's it! It's all HER fault! Instead of nurturing me and helping me, she made fun of me! The B-word! :lol: She would squeeze my cheeks and look me in the eye and say, "you're a baby!" Lol! Funny now, but back then not so much. She was kind of abusive actually.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel,
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

Thinking about Hossfly and his impending knee surgery or has he already had it? Hoping he will check in soon.

Don't forget to check out that full buck moon tonight before bedtime if you have clear skies.

Full-Moon-HD-Desktop-Computer-Wallpaper.jpg

Going to my 1st pre-op today at 1:30 C.T.
Heart doctor check 7/12
Final pre-op 7/18
Get butchered 7/28

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, and all others we hope will return.

Thinking about Hossfly and his impending knee surgery or has he already had it? Hoping he will check in soon.

Don't forget to check out that full buck moon tonight before bedtime if you have clear skies.

Heart doctor check 7/12
Final pre-op 7/18
Get butchered 7/28

Ah okay. I had remembered it was happening this month.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

Heart doctor check 7/12
Final pre-op 7/18
Get butchered 7/28

Best of luck to you with your surgery. Be careful with those pain meds too! That's how people get addicted to them a lot of times, after surgeries when they are in pain.

Thank you to whoever invented the calculator! :D I use my calculator all the time. OTOH, maybe that's why my math skills are so weak. I don't know. I seem to get confused and make mistakes unless I write it out or use my calculator. I also don't have a lot of confidence in my math skills, which could also be a factor. When I was a kid, I relied on my fingers a lot, and I had this really mean teacher who would call me a "baby" for counting on my fingers. That's it! It's all HER fault! Instead of nurturing me and helping me, she made fun of me! The B-word! :lol: She would squeeze my cheeks and look me in the eye and say, "you're a baby!" Lol! Funny now, but back then not so much. She was kind of abusive actually.

I agree that sort of teaching technique is not helpful and is abusive.

I have a very nice, if ancient, Sharp calculator right here on my desk and I do use it for fast math work. And I am really fast using the 10-key. I don't bother doing it by hand when I have access to an adding machine or calculator. But I can do it by hand if I have to.

It is mostly a matter of aptitude I think. You no doubt have aptitude and effortlessly do some things that aren't easy at all for me, and vice versa.

Even though I do the simple math equations (add, subtract, etc) for my fuel formulas, I always double-check with the calculator and use it to do any formula requiring fractions. Calculators are faster than I am for complex computations and more accurate. We pay hell if we mess up a fuel calculation at work.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

Heart doctor check 7/12
Final pre-op 7/18
Get butchered 7/28
Good luck, Hoss!

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

Heart doctor check 7/12
Final pre-op 7/18
Get butchered 7/28
The mobile infantry made me the man I am today........

859eb8e49a8dd0b9fffe0bf2cd17a69b.jpg

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

Heart doctor check 7/12
Final pre-op 7/18
Get butchered 7/28

Best of luck to you with your surgery. Be careful with those pain meds too! That's how people get addicted to them a lot of times, after surgeries when they are in pain.

Thanks, ChrisL . Not to worry about pain meds. I can't take any as my psych meds won't allow them. My doctor will tell me today if the anesthesiologist has found any pain med I can take. Otherwise I'll just have to grin and bear it.

I agree that sort of teaching technique is not helpful and is abusive.

I have a very nice, if ancient, Sharp calculator right here on my desk and I do use it for fast math work. And I am really fast using the 10-key. I don't bother doing it by hand when I have access to an adding machine or calculator. But I can do it by hand if I have to.

It is mostly a matter of aptitude I think. You no doubt have aptitude and effortlessly do some things that aren't easy at all for me, and vice versa.
Hmmmm, 10-key! I also have one and use it for my ledgers and taxes. I used to use a 10-key to do material requirements, cost break outs and estimates for the construction work I drafted. Of course, I used a drafting table, squares, and triangles back then to do my drawings, too.

High humidity has my sinuses working overtime not to mention it's time to eliminate potatoes from our diet again. We've been eating far too many and we both feel like super heavy sludge dragging ourselves across the floor......

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Hossfly's knee surgery,

Heart doctor check 7/12
Final pre-op 7/18
Get butchered 7/28

Thanks, ChrisL . Not to worry about pain meds. I can't take any as my psych meds won't allow them. My doctor will tell me today if the anesthesiologist has found any pain med I can take. Otherwise I'll just have to grin and bear it.

That will be tough. Hopefully they find something for you so that you can at least take it at nighttime to help you get some sleep.

High humidity has my sinuses working overtime not to mention it's time to eliminate potatoes from our diet again. We've been eating far too many and we both feel like super heavy sludge dragging ourselves across the floor......

Potatoes are soooo delicious though! :( Potatoes with cheese, bacon, scallions, sour cream - those are potatoes from Heaven!

Potatoes are soooo delicious though! :( Potatoes with cheese, bacon, scallions, sour cream - those are potatoes from Heaven!
True but I found eons ago that if I stop eating them then start again they sit in my stomach like lead weights all day long. We've been eating potatoes almost every day with meals for the last two weeks, yesterday I finished off a cheeseburger/potato bake I made three days ago and it left me feeling torpid and heavy for the rest of the evening not to mention I felt that way when I went to bed making sleep problematic. I do feel so much better when I remove potatoes from my diet.

True but I found eons ago that if I stop eating them then start again they sit in my stomach like lead weights all day long. We've been eating potatoes almost every day with meals for the last two weeks, yesterday I finished off a cheeseburger/potato bake I made three days ago and it left me feeling torpid and heavy for the rest of the evening not to mention I felt that way when I went to bed making sleep problematic. I do feel so much better when I remove potatoes from my diet.

It's not so bad for me that it's not worth the indulgence. I don't eat them every day though. They are very starchy and filling. I don't eat a lot of food at one time usually anyways. I will eat just one twice baked potato, and sometimes I might not even be able to finish the whole thing if it's a big potato! I have eaten two before, but that is really pretty rare for me.

We tolerate potatoes okay but it is amazing how often we go a whole day without them.

I agree that we all do better if we eliminate things from our diet that make us feel bad.

Forum List

Back