USMB Coffee Shop IV

Mini desk:
1506470114383.jpeg

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Telling ya, GW...if MrG goes over rainbowbridge before me...I'm heading to alaska! ;)
You would always be welcome. I can promise you'd have loads of space for gardening and tons of critters to commune with. How do you feel about operating a tractor and a backhoe?
lol. I drove a tractor once and it was tilling a field. I did pretty good..not too many wavey lines :D
No clue about a backhoe, but if my hands let me, I could give it a go. That is, if I am not in my 80's by then, lol.
Nicest thing about a backhoe is it lets you do heavy work with a flick of your wrist. I've been moving tree roots and dirt that would have been rough for me 30 years ago using hand tools. Although TNT works loads better for root removal, you just can't get the stuff (legally) any more.

Telling ya, GW...if MrG goes over rainbowbridge before me...I'm heading to alaska! ;)
You would always be welcome. I can promise you'd have loads of space for gardening and tons of critters to commune with. How do you feel about operating a tractor and a backhoe?
lol. I drove a tractor once and it was tilling a field. I did pretty good..not too many wavey lines :D
No clue about a backhoe, but if my hands let me, I could give it a go. That is, if I am not in my 80's by then, lol.
Nicest thing about a backhoe is it lets you do heavy work with a flick of your wrist. I've been moving tree roots and dirt that would have been rough for me 30 years ago using hand tools. Although TNT works loads better for root removal, you just can't get the stuff (legally) any more.
I wish I were 10 years younger. Just 10. Funny how the body falls apart so damn fast. I still can't believe I will be 65 in about 15 days. SIXTY FIVE!! Dayum!

Remember when I told you about how this place when I moved in? Well...all the shagalicious carpet in the dining room, bar room and hallway is GONE. Beautiful wood flooring under that mess! The kitchen gets new flooring this saturday. Painting kitchen this week, MrG and I. So, its coming along! next project after the kitchen floor is removing the shagalicious from the living room so that gorgeous wood floor gleams. We will be doing that in the next two or three weeks. Then the roofers will be here to put on the new roof. Things are getting better. :)
You're making the place your own on some very basic levels, Gracie. And I'll be that with the nasty carpet gone, the place smells lots better, too!
It already does. His friends have come over to visit him as well as me, and when they get to my tiny very cute room, they whisper "we are SO glad you are here. He has been on the ball! And..NO STINK!"

I just got back from one of the thousands of thrift stores and bought the cutest mini antique desk with drop down front. I'm using it as a dresser, but it IS going to be painted eventually. And I picked up this very pretty half moon THICK persian carpet that will fit perfectly on the new kitchen floor in front of the sink. Guess how much I paid for it!! A buck fifty!! This place is a gold mine...but not for reselling. Too many hoarders here and no market for resell. But you can buy just about anything you want...CHEAP. I paid 32.33 for the mini desk. Dovetail. Brass handles. Solid wood. I'll take a pic of it.
Nice score! Maybe you can eventually get stuff together and get to some better markets? I know I'm looking forward to the time when I can drag all the stuff I make (soap, stuffed critters, cheese, etc) to local farmers' markets. I did well when I was selling my soap a few years ago but somehow I've run out of time right now. I was hoping daughter and granddaughters would be around to help, but alas, they have their own adventures to live.

I wish I were 10 years younger. Just 10. Funny how the body falls apart so damn fast. I still can't believe I will be 65 in about 15 days. SIXTY FIVE!! Dayum!
65!!!! You have a couple of years on me, I'll hit 62 on my next birthday. And yeah, things seem to fall apart pretty quickly once they start going...

I asked my friend here if she would consider renting a malls pace in one of the thousands of antique shops here, and put it in her name since I cannot do it in mine due to being on SS and she said she would think about it. I asked Housemate how much he makes a month at his space and he said he does pretty decently....at about 100 per month. I was shocked. Only a hundred? Really? And he has to work 2 days per month for free cuz he has two spaces. I told him that is just unacceptable. When I had my mall space, I made anywhere from 600 per month to 2500 per month!! Then again, this town is so full of competition, it does not surprise me thats all he gets. He was shocked I made that much. I keep telling him I am good at what I do, lol. Someday he will believe me and turn me lose in this house and he will see for himself. Most of it would go in the trash. The rest would be crammed in his two spaces. And his whole house will be livable. :)

I haven't decided what to paint on it yet. I get ideas from googling Hand Painted Furniture. I have to stare at it for a week or two and wait for it to tell me what IT wants..not what I want. I just know it will not stay the way it is. I want some of the original to peek out, though, so that means sanding around edges, the handles, etc. I want it to look its age, but with some pop.

I went to see my grammy in the nursing home this weekend. It is just sad seeing her now. I was just telling my friend that I miss her so much and she isn't even dead yet. She reverts a lot back into her childhood nowadays. She sometimes thinks my aunt (her daughter) is her mother and has no idea who I am. Other times it seems she knows who I am but she still has that childlike demeanor about her. She carries a stuffed cat (that looks surprisingly realistic), which she just adores. She constantly has it in her arms and pats it and talks to it like it is a real cat or something. Anyways, it seems to make her happy and I suppose it is kind of like therapy for it. It is kind of cute how much she cares about that thing.

Chris I absolutely missed this post until GW responded to it. And been there done that with loved ones. Hombre's mom died on her 100th birthday but she was pretty much out of it for a number of years and you wonder if the person is actually still in there. The long goodbye in all forms of severe dementia is painful and hard to watch.

I am glad my Mom did not suffer that and I am glad that once her cancer was diagnosed that it took her quickly--within three months--so she did not have to endure a nursing home when we could no longer care for her. She told us that if we ever put her into one she would come back and haunt us for the rest of our lives. We believed her.

My aunt Betty--only her and a first cousin left of her generation--will turn 91 in four days and is not as sharp as she once was--it takes her a bit longer to remember things or get her mind around a new process--but she does really really REALLY well and enjoys a great deal of quality of life. That is what we should all want in our last years here.
Sometimes I wonder whether things are going south for me. Today, I was sorting and labeling things for my materials shed. I came across some items and the name was on the tip of my tongue. I just couldn't remember "turnbuckle". I had to ask my partner. Sometimes, it's like a big bubble wells up in my mind and when it pops, POOF!, all thoughts are gone.

That happens to everybody, young and old. But admittedly, it happens to me more the older I get.

I went to see my grammy in the nursing home this weekend. It is just sad seeing her now. I was just telling my friend that I miss her so much and she isn't even dead yet. She reverts a lot back into her childhood nowadays. She sometimes thinks my aunt (her daughter) is her mother and has no idea who I am. Other times it seems she knows who I am but she still has that childlike demeanor about her. She carries a stuffed cat (that looks surprisingly realistic), which she just adores. She constantly has it in her arms and pats it and talks to it like it is a real cat or something. Anyways, it seems to make her happy and I suppose it is kind of like therapy for it. It is kind of cute how much she cares about that thing.

Chris I absolutely missed this post until GW responded to it. And been there done that with loved ones. Hombre's mom died on her 100th birthday but she was pretty much out of it for a number of years and you wonder if the person is actually still in there. The long goodbye in all forms of severe dementia is painful and hard to watch.

I am glad my Mom did not suffer that and I am glad that once her cancer was diagnosed that it took her quickly--within three months--so she did not have to endure a nursing home when we could no longer care for her. She told us that if we ever put her into one she would come back and haunt us for the rest of our lives. We believed her.

My aunt Betty--only her and a first cousin left of her generation--will turn 91 in four days and is not as sharp as she once was--it takes her a bit longer to remember things or get her mind around a new process--but she does really really REALLY well and enjoys a great deal of quality of life. That is what we should all want in our last years here.

My grandmother fell down the stairs at my aunt's house (I can't remember if it was last year or the year before???), which led to her moving from my aunt's house into a nursing home. Because of her condition, she needs around the clock close supervision. My aunt did her best to try to keep her at home, but she just doesn't have the means to do it anymore considering my grandmother's poor mental state. Anyways, she seems quite happy at the nursing home. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing anyways. She gets to socialize with others and isn't isolated. The staff there is great with her. She gets lots of visits from family and family friends. Aside from her falling down and breaking her hip, she is in excellent health. She was always healthy and lived a very healthy "clean" life. If her mental condition was better, she would be doing great.

My grandmother fell down the stairs at my aunt's house (I can't remember if it was last year or the year before???), which led to her moving from my aunt's house into a nursing home. Because of her condition, she needs around the clock close supervision. My aunt did her best to try to keep her at home, but she just doesn't have the means to do it anymore considering my grandmother's poor mental state. Anyways, she seems quite happy at the nursing home. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing anyways. She gets to socialize with others and isn't isolated. The staff there is great with her. She gets lots of visits from family and family friends. Aside from her falling down and breaking her hip, she is in excellent health. She was always healthy and lived a very healthy "clean" life. If her mental condition was better, she would be doing great.
If I were unable to physically care for myself but still had my mental faculties intact, I wouldn't mind living in a group home with friends and activities. That might actually be fun.
But I think there's a great difference between becoming mentally unstable and physically unable. I've known people who were still mentally sharp but were trapped in a body that had broken down and they were unable to do even the most basic things for themselves, like having to be fed, clothed, bathed, and put on the toilet. I've known people who were still physically able but their mental capacity left them unable to recall their closest relatives names, let alone relationships. Either would be a hideous way to lead my life. I've got a DNR order but that may not help in some circumstances. I just hope my daughter understands and lets nature take its course.

If I were unable to physically care for myself but still had my mental faculties intact, I wouldn't mind living in a group home with friends and activities. That might actually be fun.
But I think there's a great difference between becoming mentally unstable and physically unable. I've known people who were still mentally sharp but were trapped in a body that had broken down and they were unable to do even the most basic things for themselves, like having to be fed, clothed, bathed, and put on the toilet. I've known people who were still physically able but their mental capacity left them unable to recall their closest relatives names, let alone relationships. Either would be a hideous way to lead my life. I've got a DNR order but that may not help in some circumstances. I just hope my daughter understands and lets nature take its course.

I don't know. My grandmother doesn't really seem to be unhappy, and she is not in any pain. Who am I to say what her life is worth? She seems to be reliving her childhood or something. I suppose that's not so terrible. Could be worse.

65!!!! You have a couple of years on me, I'll hit 62 on my next birthday. And yeah, things seem to fall apart pretty quickly once they start going...

I don't mind getting old on some level. People treat you nicer as you age. I hate feeling tired all the time though alternated by bouts of insomnia.

Insomnia sucks. But being treated nicer as we age depends on where one lives. Elders get taken advantage of, even robbed, because they are deemed too weak to fight back.

Insomnia sucks. But being treated nicer as we age depends on where one lives. Elders get taken advantage of, even robbed, because they are deemed too weak to fight back.

It does depend on your circumstances and location. I just find people are cooler the older I get. Maybe I am got nicer that could be it too. :lol:

I used to worry about things a lot more than I do now, and my temper is not as bad as it was when I was a young person. I still get mad but now I will reason things out and later conclude I misread a situation or that the other person is going through things I am probably unaware of. Whereas before I had no patience and didn't give a shit why someone was the way they were I just held a grudge if they crossed me wrong. Also, I had way worse a temper I overreacted a lot.

I don't mind getting old on some level. People treat you nicer as you age. I hate feeling tired all the time though alternated by bouts of insomnia.

They treat you nicer but they also have a tendency to patronize you, be condescending, or otherwise treat you as an 'old person' when you don't feel old at all. I once watched the social director in a nursing home doing recreation with the residents and speaking to them like they were toddlers. I would have so resented that if I was them which makes me think they probably do too. I know the surest way to get my 91-year-old aunt's hackles up is to treat her like she is 'old' and/or suggest she is incapable of doing something.

In some ways I am more mentally sharp now than I was in my 20's and 30's probably because as you described, I consider the situation now instead of just react and I intentionally choose how to react. When you get older, the young too often no longer think you are as smart or capable or interested (or interesting) or enjoy things as much or have as much fun or care as deeply when in fact, we do in all those things just as much as we ever did.

Forum List

Back