USMB Coffee Shop IV

Insomnia sucks. But being treated nicer as we age depends on where one lives. Elders get taken advantage of, even robbed, because they are deemed too weak to fight back.
There are ways of equalizing declining strength as one ages. I personally prefer a small frame, large caliber equalizer. And since I've increased bulk as I've aged, I have lots more concealment available.

Insomnia sucks. But being treated nicer as we age depends on where one lives. Elders get taken advantage of, even robbed, because they are deemed too weak to fight back.

It does depend on your circumstances and location. I just find people are cooler the older I get. Maybe I am got nicer that could be it too. :lol:

I used to worry about things a lot more than I do now, and my temper is not as bad as it was when I was a young person. I still get mad but now I will reason things out and later conclude I misread a situation or that the other person is going through things I am probably unaware of. Whereas before I had no patience and didn't give a shit why someone was the way they were I just held a grudge if they crossed me wrong. Also, I had way worse a temper I overreacted a lot.
I think we become more reasonable and amiable as we get older because it's such a waste of energy to deal energetically with younger, or more unreasonable persons.

It does depend on your circumstances and location. I just find people are cooler the older I get. Maybe I am got nicer that could be it too. :lol:

I used to worry about things a lot more than I do now, and my temper is not as bad as it was when I was a young person. I still get mad but now I will reason things out and later conclude I misread a situation or that the other person is going through things I am probably unaware of. Whereas before I had no patience and didn't give a shit why someone was the way they were I just held a grudge if they crossed me wrong. Also, I had way worse a temper I overreacted a lot.
I think we become more reasonable and amiable as we get older because it's such a waste of energy to deal energetically with younger, or more unreasonable persons.

I think you are right.

Greetings, All!
Another miserable day here. I can't recall two completely sunny days together since June, or sooner. Of course, our extended rainy season is nothing compared to what so many other people are enduring right now, so I will end my carping.
My shift supervisor threatened my 4/10 shifts. I made a mistake last week, partially my fault, but partially his, too. Of course, both of us were angry with ourselves for our respective mistakes. He shouted and threatened me. I blinked silently while he raged on. Unfortunately, remaining silent when vehement defensiveness is expected is like throwing gasoline on a fire. I'm thinking that the writing is on the wall and as soon as I get settled into the Willow place, I'll be looking for a job closer to home. I did the math and I could accept a lower paying job and still break even, considering the amount of money I'll be spending on fuel for the commute to my present job (80-mi, one-way).

Greetings, All!
Another miserable day here. I can't recall two completely sunny days together since June, or sooner. Of course, our extended rainy season is nothing compared to what so many other people are enduring right now, so I will end my carping.
My shift supervisor threatened my 4/10 shifts. I made a mistake last week, partially my fault, but partially his, too. Of course, both of us were angry with ourselves for our respective mistakes. He shouted and threatened me. I blinked silently while he raged on. Unfortunately, remaining silent when vehement defensiveness is expected is like throwing gasoline on a fire. I'm thinking that the writing is on the wall and as soon as I get settled into the Willow place, I'll be looking for a job closer to home. I did the math and I could accept a lower paying job and still break even, considering the amount of money I'll be spending on fuel for the commute to my present job (80-mi, one-way).

It sucks when Bosses are retaliatory, power tripping, and micro-managing.

Me? Reasonable and amiable? :rofl:

:D

Greetings, All!

I agree. I can understand when you get angry at yourself for making a mistake. I was pretty pissed off, but I realized it was because I did make that mistake. So, I'm not going to rise to the bait and make a big stink. Blinking stupidly and silently is about the best I could do while taking my licks for my mistake. But the lead had made a mistake, too. He failed to do his job, if he had, I might not have made my mistake to begin with. He knew that, and I'm sure he was angry at himself. His error was that he continued to press the point and then to threaten my shift. I suggested later that if he made an effort to praise and thank people when they do something praiseworthy, he might find a lot better and more enthusiastic cooperation with the entire team than if every time someone was summoned to the office it meant they were going to get their tails chewed, or even be drawn into an argument.

Me? Reasonable and amiable? :rofl:

:D
OK, cantankerous and ornery fits better for some of us, sometimes, too!

Greetings, All!

I agree. I can understand when you get angry at yourself for making a mistake. I was pretty pissed off, but I realized it was because I did make that mistake. So, I'm not going to rise to the bait and make a big stink. Blinking stupidly and silently is about the best I could do while taking my licks for my mistake. But the lead had made a mistake, too. He failed to do his job, if he had, I might not have made my mistake to begin with. He knew that, and I'm sure he was angry at himself. His error was that he continued to press the point and then to threaten my shift. I suggested later that if he made an effort to praise and thank people when they do something praiseworthy, he might find a lot better and more enthusiastic cooperation with the entire team than if every time someone was summoned to the office it meant they were going to get their tails chewed, or even be drawn into an argument.

I know what you mean. Office politics are so weird. I am learning new ones every day. :lol:

Greetings, All!

I know what you mean. Office politics are so weird. I am learning new ones every day. :lol:
Where I work now isn't really that bad. One of the reasons I turned down a full professorship at the University was because I had no desire to become involved in the politics. The other reason was because I did not want to participate in rush hour traffic morning and evening, five days a week.

Greetings, All!

Where I work now isn't really that bad. One of the reasons I turned down a full professorship at the University was because I had no desire to become involved in the politics. The other reason was because I did not want to participate in rush hour traffic morning and evening, five days a week.

My job is new so I am still learning everyone's personalities.

I'm not sure I mentioned this, but I finally gave it up and decided to order the roof trusses for my barn. I don't need to prove I know how to build them, but I do need them built. While it costs a bit more to have them built, it inevitably is less expensive than when I include the time investment I would have to make to build them myself. So, my trusses will be delivered next Tues. Additionally, the vendor I ordered my trusses from also supplies the steel roofing and all appurtenances required to make a good, sound roof. Everything is cut to order and after all is said and done, it's actually about half as expensive as if I had gone to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchased what I'd need. All that stuff will be picked up Monday a week from now and taken to the Willow place. I'm so excited!
I've also been approached by a friend of mine to ask whether I can absorb her goat herd. She's in her mid-70s, he's 80+ and suffering from increasingly severe dementia. Things are getting very difficult for them and while I feel for them, I can't afford to take all her goats. I've found some buyers for a couple and can take on a pair of her does now, but this winter is going to be difficult for all of us in Willow, two- and four-leggers. Getting old does suck. I just hope I don't start sucking dirt too soon...

Greetings, All!

Personalities make the job both challenging and fun. Politics, on the other hand, make working situations very unpleasant sometimes. If people were able to check their politics and religion at the door, like we do here, work would go much more smoothly.
Good luck with the new job. May you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my jobs.

There is a fox and two cubs playing in my garden, but I cannot photo them because I have no batteries in my digital camera. By the time I put them in and set up the exposure they will probably be gone.

Greetings, All!

I hear that. Alaska has by far the largest land area of the 50 states, but roughly half the population is crammed into and around Anchorage. We have the same problem in New Mexico having the fifth largest land area but cramming half the state's population into the Albuquerque metro area. And that makes traffic here absolutely awful while getting around in most of the rest of the state--well, except in Santa Fe--pretty delightful. Santa Fe traffic is terrible because it is a major tourist destination, is the state capital, and there are thousands of Albuquerqueans there at any given time.

There is a fox and two cubs playing in my garden, but I cannot photo them because I have no batteries in my digital camera. By the time I put them in and set up the exposure they will probably be gone.

Little cubs? Isn't it pretty late for that?

Personalities make the job both challenging and fun. Politics, on the other hand, make working situations very unpleasant sometimes. If people were able to check their politics and religion at the door, like we do here, work would go much more smoothly.
Good luck with the new job. May you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my jobs.

Also one thing I have learned from bitter experience is that we never know what life is going to deal us and we can't ever fully relax when times are good because some things almost never stay the same. Our favorite restaurant can change management or make other changes that we find quite unsatisfactory. Our favorite store can close or become something so different we no longer wish to shop there. Rental property that we love can be sold out from under us. And a job that we love can become something we dread when there is a new boss or introduction of difficult coworkers or clients or other elements are introduced so that it no longer is fun.

And, I am at the age that I feel I have paid my dues and I can choose whether I will deal with difficult situations or people instead of feeling that I am obligated to do that.

Doc is very pleased with Mr. P's skin wounds, they are healing nicely.
We see him again on Monday morning.
We also caught his repeats of low yeast infection, which was triggering his M. S. and has stopped since his taking of antibiotics. My bruised and scratched up leg loves it. :)
He went to the Docs office and the Eagles by himself today. :biggrin:

Forum List

Back