USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well I finally decided a couple of days ago just after Microsoft updated Windows 8.1 on this laptop to entirely switch over to Linux on all but the wife's laptop and my Windows 7 gaming computer....... For now.......
The last update Microsucks planted their 'Store' on the laptop with no real way of uninstalling it so now I have one desktop and my personal laptop running Ubuntu. I'm happy. :thup:
Now if I could only load Ubuntu on the lenovo and make it all work properly without having to write script. Otherwise the lenovo is still for sale......... :eusa_whistle:

For what we use computers for we just use Windows 10 as it runs what we need and want to run on both our PCs and both our laptops and we don't have to think about it much. I don't really care if Microsoft loads their junk on which we just ignore. Win 10 has proved to be a reasonably user friendly and stable system and at this point in life, that works for us.
The wife doesn't care either, I on the other hand want complete control over my computers, I will not hand that control over to Microsoft or anyone else so as long as you don't mind owning a Microsoft work station and not a personal computer then so be it........ :dunno:

I figure it is their operating system offered to consumers for whatever purposes they want. I appreciate the freedom it allows me to surf the whole world wide web with relative ease and also runs all the games I really enjoy playing. As for whatever else it does for Microsoft, I don't care as I just ignore all that. I feel very much in control though it is always amusing that whatever products or services I check out on the web almost immediately starts showing up on ads, etc. I don't mind that either on the few sites that require me to disable the ad blocker.

If I was still doing highly confidential or sensitive work on our computers I might think that through a little more. But for now, the path of least resistance and most practicality--is that a word?--works for me.

We are all having worse allergies here in S.E. Az. also. Everybody is suffering.
I get worse when in town, because of the cottonwood trees, sneezing my head off right now and I can't take anything for it due to allergies. :(
Hubby can take them just fine, he has no allergies to drugs. :)

Well I finally decided a couple of days ago just after Microsoft updated Windows 8.1 on this laptop to entirely switch over to Linux on all but the wife's laptop and my Windows 7 gaming computer....... For now.......
The last update Microsucks planted their 'Store' on the laptop with no real way of uninstalling it so now I have one desktop and my personal laptop running Ubuntu. I'm happy. :thup:
Now if I could only load Ubuntu on the lenovo and make it all work properly without having to write script. Otherwise the lenovo is still for sale......... :eusa_whistle:

For what we use computers for we just use Windows 10 as it runs what we need and want to run on both our PCs and both our laptops and we don't have to think about it much. I don't really care if Microsoft loads their junk on which we just ignore. Win 10 has proved to be a reasonably user friendly and stable system and at this point in life, that works for us.
The wife doesn't care either, I on the other hand want complete control over my computers, I will not hand that control over to Microsoft or anyone else so as long as you don't mind owning a Microsoft work station and not a personal computer then so be it........ :dunno:

I figure it is their operating system offered to consumers for whatever purposes they want. I appreciate the freedom it allows me to surf the whole world wide web with relative ease and also runs all the games I really enjoy playing. As for whatever else it does for Microsoft, I don't care as I just ignore all that. I feel very much in control though it is always amusing that whatever products or services I check out on the web almost immediately starts showing up on ads, etc. I don't mind that either on the few sites that require me to disable the ad blocker.

If I was still doing highly confidential or sensitive work on our computers I might think that through a little more. But for now, the path of least resistance and most practicality--is that a word?--works for me.
I despise advertising with a passion, matter of fact the fastest way to lose a sale to me is to decide to advertise to me. I have no intention of taking the path of least resistance in this instance because it's exactly what they want and they win, I want my freedom and my PC to be mine. I love Windows (for the most part) but knowing what I know I hate the direction Microsoft is going in, it's the same direction Cellular Providers and Apple have already gone in.

I agree. I can understand when you get angry at yourself for making a mistake. I was pretty pissed off, but I realized it was because I did make that mistake. So, I'm not going to rise to the bait and make a big stink. Blinking stupidly and silently is about the best I could do while taking my licks for my mistake. But the lead had made a mistake, too. He failed to do his job, if he had, I might not have made my mistake to begin with. He knew that, and I'm sure he was angry at himself. His error was that he continued to press the point and then to threaten my shift. I suggested later that if he made an effort to praise and thank people when they do something praiseworthy, he might find a lot better and more enthusiastic cooperation with the entire team than if every time someone was summoned to the office it meant they were going to get their tails chewed, or even be drawn into an argument.

I know what you mean. Office politics are so weird. I am learning new ones every day. :lol:
Where I work now isn't really that bad. One of the reasons I turned down a full professorship at the University was because I had no desire to become involved in the politics. The other reason was because I did not want to participate in rush hour traffic morning and evening, five days a week.

I hear that. Alaska has by far the largest land area of the 50 states, but roughly half the population is crammed into and around Anchorage. We have the same problem in New Mexico having the fifth largest land area but cramming half the state's population into the Albuquerque metro area. And that makes traffic here absolutely awful while getting around in most of the rest of the state--well, except in Santa Fe--pretty delightful. Santa Fe traffic is terrible because it is a major tourist destination, is the state capital, and there are thousands of Albuquerqueans there at any given time.
And as Anchorage fills up, the population is expanding into the Matanuska Valley. That's why a few years ago when the country went ballistic about the "bridges to nowhere", we knew that most inhabitants of the Lesser 48 hadn't a clue. We desperately need the bridge across Knik Arm, both to shorten the commute to Anchorage from the Upper Valley, and to relieve the traffic pressure on the only highway from there to here. It would be cool if they could see fit to provide rail service from the Valley into Anchorage, but the powers that be have deemed Alaskans to cheap to pay the same kind of money that tourists do for a choo-choo ride. Heck, not too many years ago, the Alaska RR still did whistle stops. You stood at the rail siding and they'd stop the train to pick you up. That's gone now, too. Tourists gotta get where they're going on schedule, and Princess Tours owns lots of Alaska.
For those who care, Anchorage actually inhabits a geographic feature referred to as the "Anchorage Bowl". It's a narrow strip of build-able land sandwiched between mountains and two bodies of ocean-linked water, Knick Arm and the Cook Inlet. As the population of Anchorage has expanded to pretty much fill up that strip of land, pricing housing too high for many low- to middle-income families, the population has exchanged the hour-long commute to Anchorage (jobs) for affordable housing. If I recall, Albuquerque also fills a bowl of real estate ringed by mountains, state and federal parks?

Yes, Albuquerque sits in a 'bowl'--you have to go up to get out of town in all four directions--but we aren't ringed by state and national parks as much as we are Indian reservations--Sandia to the north and Isleta to the south. And the city is crammed up against the Sandias east so the only way it can grow is to the west. But it is doing that in a major way.
Speaking of Reservations, every time I have a doctors appointment they always ask if I've been out of country in the last two years........ I always ask if driving through Reservations count.......... :eusa_whistle:

I know what you mean. Office politics are so weird. I am learning new ones every day. :lol:
Where I work now isn't really that bad. One of the reasons I turned down a full professorship at the University was because I had no desire to become involved in the politics. The other reason was because I did not want to participate in rush hour traffic morning and evening, five days a week.

I hear that. Alaska has by far the largest land area of the 50 states, but roughly half the population is crammed into and around Anchorage. We have the same problem in New Mexico having the fifth largest land area but cramming half the state's population into the Albuquerque metro area. And that makes traffic here absolutely awful while getting around in most of the rest of the state--well, except in Santa Fe--pretty delightful. Santa Fe traffic is terrible because it is a major tourist destination, is the state capital, and there are thousands of Albuquerqueans there at any given time.
And as Anchorage fills up, the population is expanding into the Matanuska Valley. That's why a few years ago when the country went ballistic about the "bridges to nowhere", we knew that most inhabitants of the Lesser 48 hadn't a clue. We desperately need the bridge across Knik Arm, both to shorten the commute to Anchorage from the Upper Valley, and to relieve the traffic pressure on the only highway from there to here. It would be cool if they could see fit to provide rail service from the Valley into Anchorage, but the powers that be have deemed Alaskans to cheap to pay the same kind of money that tourists do for a choo-choo ride. Heck, not too many years ago, the Alaska RR still did whistle stops. You stood at the rail siding and they'd stop the train to pick you up. That's gone now, too. Tourists gotta get where they're going on schedule, and Princess Tours owns lots of Alaska.
For those who care, Anchorage actually inhabits a geographic feature referred to as the "Anchorage Bowl". It's a narrow strip of build-able land sandwiched between mountains and two bodies of ocean-linked water, Knick Arm and the Cook Inlet. As the population of Anchorage has expanded to pretty much fill up that strip of land, pricing housing too high for many low- to middle-income families, the population has exchanged the hour-long commute to Anchorage (jobs) for affordable housing. If I recall, Albuquerque also fills a bowl of real estate ringed by mountains, state and federal parks?

Yes, Albuquerque sits in a 'bowl'--you have to go up to get out of town in all four directions--but we aren't ringed by state and national parks as much as we are Indian reservations--Sandia to the north and Isleta to the south. And the city is crammed up against the Sandias east so the only way it can grow is to the west. But it is doing that in a major way.
Speaking of Reservations, every time I have a doctors appointment they always ask if I've been out of country in the last two years........ I always ask if driving through Reservations count.......... :eusa_whistle:

No way Jose!! :lmao:
I say the same thing , except "does visiting on a Reservation count"? :lol:

Headed back to Tarheel Country at O Dark Thirty in the morning by way of Texarkana, Nashville, Gatlinburg and Hendersonville, NC. Have to stop in Hendersonville to get a couple bushels of NC mountain apples Been here in Cowtown 2 months longer than planned because of my knee surgery. I'll put my Tarheel flag back in my sig so peeps know where I'm posting from.

Last edited:
Headed back to Tarheel Country at O Dark Thirty in the morning by way of Texarkana, Nashville, Gatlinburg and Hendersonville, NC. Have to stop in Hendersonville to get a couple bushels of NC mountain apples Been here in Cowtown 2 months longer than planned because of my knee surgery. I'll put my Tarheel flag back in my sig so peeps know where I'm posting from.
Soooooooo.......... You have tar on your horns until you can get it back on your heels? :dunno:

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Ohio
autumns-glory-enters-the-ohio-valley-dan-sproul.jpg

Almost over my snit. I have been posting at another place I really enjoy, but I will be here too. Maybe just not as often. :)

Safe travels and we're all together here in the Coffee Shop no matter where we live. :)

Busy weekend! Friday night was my partner's birthday bash and, as usual, it was a huge success. I was almost as busy restocking beer coolers as the bartenders (3) were serving drinks I believe I toted a thousand bottles of beer and a couple dozen bottles of the hard stuff.
I went through all my ice by the end of the night due to coolers on the kitchen floor icing down beers before hauling it to the bar. The gross was about 15% of our expected monthly totals and I actually drew a bit off the top.
At the end of this month is out famous Halloween bash, historically our biggest night of the year. With any luck, we will hit the next milestone.
Make no mistake. I am getting a bit old for this, but I'm still having a blast.

Extra thoughts sent to those in Florida, Texas, Puerto Rico and everywhere ravaged by the storms and those dealing with the terrible Las Vegas massacre.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

beautiful_city_las_vegas-1680x1050.jpg

I just loaded Mint 18 on my main PC over the Mint 17 boot. Unfortunately, it has caused a boot problem with GRUB. However, I can go to BIOS and boot up into Windows, and that partition seems unaffected, so I think I'll be OK. I just need to try to fix my boot loader, or if all else fails, I can just switch my BIOS options and load into Windows.

Annoying, but when I first booted into the GRUB error screen, I was very concerned I had just screwed up my Windows partition, too.

I just loaded Mint 18 on my main PC over the Mint 17 boot. Unfortunately, it has caused a boot problem with GRUB. However, I can go to BIOS and boot up into Windows, and that partition seems unaffected, so I think I'll be OK. I just need to try to fix my boot loader, or if all else fails, I can just switch my BIOS options and load into Windows.

Annoying, but when I first booted into the GRUB error screen, I was very concerned I had just screwed up my Windows partition, too.
boot-repair - Linux Mint Forums

Or

Reinstall grub2 from LiveCD - Linux Mint Community

boot-repair - Linux Mint Forums

Or

Reinstall grub2 from LiveCD - Linux Mint Community

Yeah, I used boot-repair. I think I had this same problem when I switched from Vista to 7 on my dual boot, too. I had the boot-repair iso on my other PC, at least. ;)

Well we had an interesting afternoon. Had just picked up Carly's prescription at the vet and were headed to Sprouts to buy fresh fruit and veggies when we got hit in the right rear quarter panel--tore the skin almost all the way off the car and screwed up the left rear wheel and then the right one when the car spun into the curb. The car has been towed and we drove a rental car home but are pretty bummed about the whole thing. And it had been an absolutely pleasant day up to that point.

So I have the newest Mint version on this PC, but I can't load it onto the laptop, which was the original thing I wanted to do. I guess the laptop is too old and crappy; I have a good USB boot made, it works on my PCs, but freezes when I try to load onto the laptop.

The little one goes to the orthodontist to get her bottom braces tomorrow. She's used to having the top ones in, so hopefully it won't be too tough a transition for her. She does get to choose some colors that get put on the braces each time she goes in, and she likes that. :)

Forum List

Back