USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well it has been a hellova day. The Ex-wife is spending the night in the hospital after going through a angioplasty... No stint was needed but the ekg was not of the Dr's liking hence the procedure... She is a light to moderate smoker and has been for 40 years and is catching hell from the Doc's... She is 4 years younger than I am and has no problem with her weight... Well I need to lay down and get some rest so I will be able to go back to the Hospital... Appreciate any kind thoughts directed out here in the freaking middle of the Pacific Ocean...

Well it has been a hellova day. The Ex-wife is spending the night in the hospital after going through a angioplasty... No stint was needed but the ekg was not of the Dr's liking hence the procedure... She is a light to moderate smoker and has been for 40 years and is catching hell from the Doc's... She is 4 years younger than I am and has no problem with her weight... Well I need to lay down and get some rest so I will be able to go back to the Hospital... Appreciate any kind thoughts directed out here in the freaking middle of the Pacific Ocean...

She goes on the list Ridgerunner and those procedures are really scary sounding but are very routine these days and they do prevent much more serious problems down the road. What happened that provoked the necessity for the procedure?

But much empathy with you. Hospital duty, waiting, worrying, wondering is not something anybody enjoys and is exhausting.

I had an interview with a postmaster Friday, she will decide on Wednesday who her choice is. This is the best combination of hours and work activity so far. A bit apprehensive as unemployment benefits ended Saturday.

And we'll ramp up the positivity for you too. Sure sounds like a door that seemed closed and locked just reopened at least a crack.

Time to get out winter clothes. I love to watch snow but I hate to drive in it.

tenor.gif

Time to get out winter clothes. I love to watch snow but I hate to drive in it.

tenor.gif
Then don't drive in it........ :dunno:

Me, I love to watch the winter highway ice capades, all those SUV drivers who think 4-wheel drive won't slip and spin at high speeds.......... It's kinda perversely satisfying to crawl by them now that they're upside down in the median after they blew by me a half a mile before. :D

What happened that provoked the necessity for the procedure?

A series of just normal Sat. activities really... She cleaned and puttered around the house. She is making Christmas presents for folks at her office and went out to the carport to spray paint some Mason Jars. She finished them and decided to wash her baby (Mercedes) and went up and down the stairs several different time to get her supplies to clean the car... She said she felt like she was overheated and went into her Sisters to cool down and felt a discomfort in her chest... I was not at home so was no help... BIL & SIL loaded her up and took her to the Emergency room...
She just texted me and said it looks like the Doc wants to keep her at least another day...
Better get ready and go over there, after all misery loves company...

Thanks for putting her on the list Foxy...

What happened that provoked the necessity for the procedure?

A series of just normal Sat. activities really... She cleaned and puttered around the house. She is making Christmas presents for folks at her office and went out to the carport to spray paint some Mason Jars. She finished them and decided to wash her baby (Mercedes) and went up and down the stairs several different time to get her supplies to clean the car... She said she felt like she was overheated and went into her Sisters to cool down and felt a discomfort in her chest... I was not at home so was no help... BIL & SIL loaded her up and took her to the Emergency room...
She just texted me and said it looks like the Doc wants to keep her at least another day...
Better get ready and go over there, after all misery loves company...

Thanks for putting her on the list Foxy...

It would be easier to be COMPLETELY sympathetic, but you're in Hawaii...

I had an interview with a postmaster Friday, she will decide on Wednesday who her choice is. This is the best combination of hours and work activity so far. A bit apprehensive as unemployment benefits ended Saturday.

And we'll ramp up the positivity for you too. Sure sounds like a door that seemed closed and locked just reopened at least a crack.

Well reinventing your work life after 50 is a challenge. At some point I may just give in and go back to selling vehicles. Too stubborn at this juncture. :)

Well reinventing your work life after 50 is a challenge. At some point I may just give in and go back to selling vehicles. Too stubborn at this juncture. :)

I'm doing it, sort of, after 40.....but, really, I haven't had a consistent work life to this point anyway. :p

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ridgerunner's ex wife/current companion for full recovery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in North Carolina
d936638a27c098d58248f8b4e98387a7.jpg

I'm doing it, sort of, after 40.....but, really, I haven't had a consistent work life to this point anyway. :p

Having unique experiences can be rewarding and nice too.

Just curious if others have experienced the same situation and how they handled it. Not a big problem, but a lifestyle change.

We are at the point where we need to sell our home of 40 years. Our children were babies here. The walls hold happy memories of loved ones whose chairs are now empty...the yard - memories of first bike rides, Easter egg hunts, weddings. I love the fields, the cypress swamps, the privacy...the wild turkey and deer who come to visit.

It's getting more and more difficult to maintain the house and fences, etc. It's a long drive to town. Our only grandchildren live 800 miles away. We want to be near them - they are at that precious age where they run squealing with delight into our open arms - that will not last forever. Their father, our youngest son, is a first responder and our dil is a medical professional. They need our help, and want their children to experience the added richness in life that having grandparents nearby can give them. We'd be leaving behind my elderly mother, and two other grown children.

The house isn't on the market yet - I'm just beginning the difficult task of sorting through a lifetime of memories deciding what to keep and what to let go. When it sells, we're thinking of leasing an apartment for a year close to the kids before we commit to a purchase. They have offered us their walk-out basement, but I feel that would eventually intrude on their privacy.

A dear friend says - make new memories. Anyway - have others here made similar decisions? Any regrets?

"Alexa, what time is it?"

"It's 4:41am" the answer came back from my robotic overlord.

That was my interchange early this morning after Daisy the Mutt whined me awake.

"Oooh, oooh!"

It's hard to transcribe the whine of a miniature poodle. It's even harder to resist it. So I got out of bed, rubbed my eyes and fumbled for my slippers. Stumbling for the door, I attached her collar, opened the door and clipped on her leash. I fell back into bed and waited for her yap to be let back in.

While laying there, I recalled the item I read in the Review Sunday morning. The East Liverpool police reports included an item about a discussion held with a vagrant at the Carnegie Library down at Fourth And Broadway. The cops responded to a call from the library staff about a man sitting outside the west wall. They found the individual with his cellular phone charging from an electrical outlet on the library. He was also taking advantage of the wi-fi signal emanating from the public library. Garbage was strewn around the man. He agreed to clear out cleaning his garbage before he left.

Now, there are things about this story already marking a cultural shift in the lifestyle of hoboes. A cell phone, internet signals stand apart from my perception of how drifters get along. My idea of a hobo is born of the classic bum carrying his possessions in a kerchief tied to a stick slung over his shoulder. Unshaven and a stump of a cigar clinched in his teeth, my notion of a hobo would be found down by the railroad tracks waiting for a slow moving freight train ready to move on down the line. Drifters, in my mind, were not carrying cell phones and surfing the internet.

But the last line of the story completely blew away my stereotype of vagrants. East Liverpool's finest found human feces on the library grounds. The cops asked the bum if that matter was his. He responded, "No, but I'll gladly clean it up."

'I'll gladly clean it up'?!? What manner of person would deny pooping yet be glad to clear up the mess?

Hobos ain't what they used to be.

Last edited:
Just curious if others have experienced the same situation and how they handled it. Not a big problem, but a lifestyle change.

We are at the point where we need to sell our home of 40 years. Our children were babies here. The walls hold happy memories of loved ones whose chairs are now empty...the yard - memories of first bike rides, Easter egg hunts, weddings. I love the fields, the cypress swamps, the privacy...the wild turkey and deer who come to visit.

It's getting more and more difficult to maintain the house and fences, etc. It's a long drive to town. Our only grandchildren live 800 miles away. We want to be near them - they are at that precious age where they run squealing with delight into our open arms - that will not last forever. Their father, our youngest son, is a first responder and our dil is a medical professional. They need our help, and want their children to experience the added richness in life that having grandparents nearby can give them. We'd be leaving behind my elderly mother, and two other grown children.

The house isn't on the market yet - I'm just beginning the difficult task of sorting through a lifetime of memories deciding what to keep and what to let go. When it sells, we're thinking of leasing an apartment for a year close to the kids before we commit to a purchase. They have offered us their walk-out basement, but I feel that would eventually intrude on their privacy.

A dear friend says - make new memories. Anyway - have others here made similar decisions? Any regrets?

It's may be hard - but don't breed moss at your skin! At least, while you're living. My grandma got an apartments when I was born and left it to live with my family after 35 years, when she was elder, than 80, without any regrets. She said, memories are good, but new impressions are better :)

We did that when we left Kansas, though we weren't moving closer to our kids. We pared down from a very large bi-level home to fit comfortably into a two-bedroom apartment. Involved a huge garage sale and sale of a lot of stuff that did contain a lot of memories. But in the end, it is just stuff.

No regrets except that I do wish we had kept our piano. I did miss that. Nothing else really.

I saw the first snow in this season today :) Winter is comin'...

Yes it is and that is okay. Evident here on the first visible snows on the highest peaks--it will probably be another 30 days to 60 days before we will see it at the lower elevations. I don't look forward to winter as much as I did when younger, but I do feel good in the winter and enjoy the time off from outdoor chores--except for snow and ice removal of course which isn't fun. But I like having all four seasons most especially because here on the high desert we don't get the extreme heat or the extreme cold that some other parts of the country get. And the snowstorms are usually pretty quick and not much of a big deal.

"Alexa, what time is it?"

"It's 4:41am" the answer came back from my robotic overlord.

That was my interchange early this morning after Daisy the Mutt whined me awake.

"Oooh, oooh!"

It's hard to transcribe the whine of a miniature poodle. It's even hard to resist it. So I got out of bed, rubbed my eyes and fumbled for my slippers. Stumbling for the door, I attached her collar, opened the door and clipped on her leash. I fell back into bed and waited for her yap to be let back in.

While laying there, I recalled the item I read in the Review Sunday morning. The East Liverpool police reports included an item about a discussion held with a vagrant at the Carnegie Library down at Fourth And Broadway. The cops responded to a call from the library staff about a man sitting outside the west wall. They found the individual with his cellular phone charging from an electrical outlet on the library. He was also taking advantage of the wi-fi signal emanating from the public library. Garbage was strewn around the man. He agreed to clear out cleaning his garbage before he left.

Now, there are things about this story already marking a cultural shift in the lifestyle of hoboes. A cell phone, internet signals stand apart from my perception of how drifters get along. My idea of a hobo is born of the classic bum carrying his possessions in a kerchief tied to a stick slung over his shoulder. Unshaven and a stump of a cigar clinched in his teeth, my notion of a hobo would be found down by the railroad tracks waiting for a slow moving freight train ready to move on down the line. Drifters, in my mind, were not carrying cell phones and surfing the internet.

But the last line of the story completely blew away my stereotype of vagrants. East Liverpool's finest found human feces on the library grounds. The cops asked the bum if that matter was his. He responded, "No, but I'll gladly clean it up."

'I'll gladly clean it up'?!? What manner of person would deny pooping yet be glad to clear up the mess?

Hobos ain't what they used to be.

The hobos of my memory were rather shabbily dressed men knocking on the back door and politely asking my mother if there was any chore they could do for a meal. She always pointed them to the rake propped against the tree or maybe the hoe and the vegetable garden or the bucket of whitewash where she had only done part of the fence. And while he did his chore she would prepare him a generous plate anybody would find appealing and maybe some pocket change if she had it. We were not wealthy people.

My impression as a small child, aided by my mother's explanation, was that these were proud men who expected to work for what they got. They were not beggars. I'm sure she tried to explain to me, but I remember wondering why they didn't have their own small unfrilly home as we did. Actually they did my mother a service as my father was not the sort to do any kind of manual labor and the hobos did some of the heavy lifting for her.

And I wondered what happened to them when they got really old like my great grandmother.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back