USMB Coffee Shop IV

Been wanting to try out Range Cafe and finally did so this afternoon........ Not impressed, not bad but not something to write home about or visit again anytime soon. The wife finally had her first Dr's appointment since we've been here so that ball is rolling.
What I really need is a good American, Tex-Mex combination restaurant. The Tex-Mex for me the American for the wife.

Our friend Dana, the one on the vigil list, really likes the Range so she chooses that now and then for a group outing. Like you however, I am really underwhelmed and would not choose to go there myself. On the other hand, after some disappointment years ago, we gave the Black Angus a second try recently and it was great! We're going back Wednesday.

It is a little pricey just for a routine meal though.

Our favorite place to go for really good non-ethnic food at a great price is Cheddars.

Last edited:
I've got a very very blustery day here, whipping winds and pouring rain. Great day to harvest my ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers. Have a ton of them.

A week ago I made my first foray into making hot pepper sauce out of about 10 of the ghosts. Used a jar of baby food as the base plus a fresh pear. Came out fairly nice, for a sauce you can only use by the drop.

I've gotta deal with these little beauties soon before it gets cold.... gonna have to find unwitting victims people to give some away.

Can''t even imagine how hot the Reaper sauce will be...... :eek:

Hey Pogo. I've missed you in the Coffee Shop! I thought you were in a part of the world that wouldn't want a lot of bite in your peppers though. :)

main-qimg-b1088fbaea65c634964938b0ed1b4c14-c

It has been an absolutely crappy day. Rain from dawn to, well right now at 10:30. A gloomy October day during which I bought the Halloween candy. I used to get more than one hundred Trick-or-Treaters here at the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. But that was when the Jaycees ran a haunted house up the street at the old Lincoln Elementary school. We used to have neighborhood elementary schools. Mine was Taft, but Lincoln was under a mile away at Orchard Grove Avenue and St. Clair Avenue. Washington school was in the west end. It's an apartment building now. Garfield elementary was on St. Clair and Garfield Street, Horace Mann was in the east end and Pleasant Heights elementary was at the top of the Lisbon Street hill.

Anyway, waves of costumed kids would pour down the block at the stroke of 7:00 every Halloween night. I got used to buying warehouse loads of candy to pass out to them. These days, weather depending I could get as many as 75 or as few as 40. Candy is cheap insurance.

Since we're in the Halloween season I thought I might share a local ghost story with you. The legend of the Blue Lady of Thompson Park. She was stood up for a date to a dance. Heartbroken, she drown herself in the municipal swimming pool. A person from East Liverpool put together a short film about her.

You get to see her story and some of the scenery Daisy the Mutt and I enjoy on our daily walks through the park.

Been wanting to try out Range Cafe and finally did so this afternoon........ Not impressed, not bad but not something to write home about or visit again anytime soon. The wife finally had her first Dr's appointment since we've been here so that ball is rolling.
What I really need is a good American, Tex-Mex combination restaurant. The Tex-Mex for me the American for the wife.

Our friend Dana, the one on the vigil list, really likes the Range so she chooses that now and then for a group outing. Like you however, I am really underwhelmed and would not choose to go there myself. On the other hand, after some disappointment years ago, we gave the Black Angus a second try recently and it was great! We're going back Wednesday.

Our favorite place to go for really good non-ethnic food at a great price is Cheddars.
We tried Cheddars once in El Paso, good food but loud inside. The "background" music was closer to concert hall level and the decor lent itself more to an echo chamber rather than a restaurant, we never went back. What we need is a restaurant that serves both Tex-Mex and american cuisine so that I can have my spicy southwest and she can have traditional American.

I saw the first snow in this season today :) Winter is comin'...

Yes it is and that is okay. Evident here on the first visible snows on the highest peaks--it will probably be another 30 days to 60 days before we will see it at the lower elevations. I don't look forward to winter as much as I did when younger, but I do feel good in the winter and enjoy the time off from outdoor chores--except for snow and ice removal of course which isn't fun. But I like having all four seasons most especially because here on the high desert we don't get the extreme heat or the extreme cold that some other parts of the country get. And the snowstorms are usually pretty quick and not much of a big deal.

Winter is a time we have a lot of holidays :) And a time, when you periodically want to sleep in warm bed and do nothing... Only drink a hot tea with jam (or chocolate :))

Yes it is and that is okay. Evident here on the first visible snows on the highest peaks--it will probably be another 30 days to 60 days before we will see it at the lower elevations. I don't look forward to winter as much as I did when younger, but I do feel good in the winter and enjoy the time off from outdoor chores--except for snow and ice removal of course which isn't fun. But I like having all four seasons most especially because here on the high desert we don't get the extreme heat or the extreme cold that some other parts of the country get. And the snowstorms are usually pretty quick and not much of a big deal.

Winter is a time we have a lot of holidays :) And a time, when you periodically want to sleep in warm bed and do nothing... Only drink a hot tea with jam (or chocolate :))

Just another way of saying that you Russians and us Americans are alike in many ways. :)

Just another way of saying that you Russians and us Americans are alike in many ways. :)

I heared, Hollywood cannot produce movies on Russian classic without making caricatures, instead of European studios. Because if they would make movie close to source - it would story about typical Americans in strange costumes :)

We tried Cheddars once in El Paso, good food but loud inside. The "background" music was closer to concert hall level and the decor lent itself more to an echo chamber rather than a restaurant, we never went back. What we need is a restaurant that serves both Tex-Mex and american cuisine so that I can have my spicy southwest and she can have traditional American.

Yeah, the Cheddars here in Albuquerque is loud too, but we ask to be seated in the back room away from the music system. The decor is even worse but the food is good and the sound level tolerable. But for a good variety of cuisines for a quick meal, we look to Chili's (Wyoming and Paseo) or Applebees (Academy & San Mateo) for decent food at a reasonable price and a widely varied menu.

Monroe's Restaurant (on Osuna) has pretty good "Gringo" offerings and really good Southwestern cuisine too.

I heared, Hollywood cannot produce movies on Russian classic without making caricatures, instead of European studios. Because if they would make movie close to source - it would story about typical Americans in strange costumes :)

I think you are probably right at least in the comedies. Most of the "Russians" featured in my movie collection though are lovable types and sympathetic characters and I think fairly honestly portrayed.

It has been an absolutely crappy day. Rain from dawn to, well right now at 10:30. A gloomy October day during which I bought the Halloween candy. I used to get more than one hundred Trick-or-Treaters here at the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. But that was when the Jaycees ran a haunted house up the street at the old Lincoln Elementary school. We used to have neighborhood elementary schools. Mine was Taft, but Lincoln was under a mile away at Orchard Grove Avenue and St. Clair Avenue. Washington school was in the west end. It's an apartment building now. Garfield elementary was on St. Clair and Garfield Street, Horace Mann was in the east end and Pleasant Heights elementary was at the top of the Lisbon Street hill.

Anyway, waves of costumed kids would pour down the block at the stroke of 7:00 every Halloween night. I got used to buying warehouse loads of candy to pass out to them. These days, weather depending I could get as many as 75 or as few as 40. Candy is cheap insurance.

Since we're in the Halloween season I thought I might share a local ghost story with you. The legend of the Blue Lady of Thompson Park. She was stood up for a date to a dance. Heartbroken, she drown herself in the municipal swimming pool. A person from East Liverpool put together a short film about her.

You get to see her story and some of the scenery Daisy the Mutt and I enjoy on our daily walks through the park.

The park is indeed beautiful. I would enjoy walking there. And I love exploring supposedly haunted places and love hearing the back stories behind the hauntings.

But honestly. Nobody, and I mean nobody dressed like that for a date to go anywhere in the 1960's. If it had been the 1860's, maybe. :)

Mr. P saw the skin wound Doc this morning and his right side, that was getting better much sooner and wasn't as bad as the left side , has started to get worse. :(
Doc. said it's taking a little longer than normal, but it is getting better.

Then he saw the Heart Doc. and he changed one of the heart meds., because he is starting to retain water. It's been a delicate balancing act of being dehydrated, to now drinking too much water.
This new heart medicine will help him get rid of water retention.
But he is doing much better.
He sees skin Doc this Wed. and the heart Doc. in about 3 weeks.

I vote for water retention and dealing with that over dehydration. It is so easy to get dehydrated here on the high desert and sometimes I am feeling really crappy when I figure out that I am dehydrated. A couple of glasses of good cold water fixes the problem. The problem with the dehydration is that you don't really feel thirsty but don't feel well either.

The park is indeed beautiful. I would enjoy walking there. And I love exploring supposedly haunted places and love hearing the back stories behind the hauntings.

But honestly. Nobody, and I mean nobody dressed like that for a date to go anywhere in the 1960's. If it had been the 1860's, maybe. :)

Yeah. The ruffles and the parasol was over the top.

Yeah, the Cheddars here in Albuquerque is loud too, but we ask to be seated in the back room away from the music system. The decor is even worse but the food is good and the sound level tolerable. But for a good variety of cuisines for a quick meal, we look to Chili's (Wyoming and Paseo) or Applebees (Academy & San Mateo) for decent food at a reasonable price and a widely varied menu.

Monroe's Restaurant (on Osuna) has pretty good "Gringo" offerings and really good Southwestern cuisine too.
Monroe's sounds more like what I'm looking for, definitely not one of the major chain restaurants which we are all too familiar with. Never was a big fan of Chilis but Applebees on occasion isn't bad but not for southwest food. What I want is a local place (not a nation wide chain) that serves both but is not a local greasy spoon.

I think you are probably right at least in the comedies. Most of the "Russians" featured in my movie collection though are lovable types and sympathetic characters and I think fairly honestly portrayed.

Have you seen the Soviet movie "A man from the Boulevard des Capucines"? :) It's a western comedy - but they made it about Russia, in Wild West decorations...

And have you seen at least one "Eastern" - an analogue of Westerns in Russia? :)

Have you seen the Soviet movie "A man from the Boulevard des Capucines"? :) It's a western comedy - but they made it about Russia, in Wild West decorations...

And have you seen at least one "Eastern" - an analogue of Westerns in Russia? :)

I have to confess that Russian or other 'foreign' made movies are not usually promoted in most theaters here--maybe in a few that promote foreign language or art films, but I don't have access to any of those. So if I have ever seen one, I don't recall it. My Spanish class, long ago, went to some Spanish language films to help us get more fluent in the language. It didn't work for me but I was so jealous of those in my class who were sufficiently fluent to really enjoy them.

I don't remember what film it was but I remember getting tickled at a movie one time--it portrayed Japanese military personnel in Japan or on military ships. They were speaking English but with Japanese sub-titles. :)

Monroe's sounds more like what I'm looking for, definitely not one of the major chain restaurants which we are all too familiar with. Never was a big fan of Chilis but Applebees on occasion isn't bad but not for southwest food. What I want is a local place (not a nation wide chain) that serves both but is not a local greasy spoon.
Just looked at the Monroe's menu online, nope not the right kind of American cuisine. I'd love it but most likely not the wife.

I ran out of Qtips today. I always buy the biggest container of stuff that doesn't go bad over time. The smallest jar of capers, but the 500 pack box of Qtips. The other idiosyncrasy of mine is to write the date I opened a package of stable, non rotting stuff. My kitchen trash bags (again the 120 bag box) was opened November 17, 2016.

My old box of Qtips was opened August 17, 2015. A box of 500 Qtips cost me $3.79 yesterday. This gave the empty furrows of my mind some seed and fertilizer. For $40 and change, I could have a lifetime supply of something!

"Never have to buy another Qtip!" I could brag.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back