USMB Coffee Shop IV

Christmas in Pittsburgh. The tree at Horne's Department store downtown. We love fireworks in Pittsburgh!

Redirect Notice
Horne's isn't in business anymore. Neither is Kaufman's or Gimble's. But their Christmas window displays were as close to visiting Disneyland as we could get back in the early 60's. Animated characters from tiny mice up to and including St. Nicholas himself swirled and danced in the big department store windows. Before the shopping mall, one of the great treats of the season was going downtown to gawk at the store windows.

The best way to tour the Christmas window displays was to take the trolley, or streetcar. Riding on their own system of tracks embedded in the pavement of the downtown streets, they were powered by overhead electrical lines. A shower of blue sparks would come down as the trolley moved from block to block.

On one memorable trolley ride Mom cradled my baby brother, just five months old at the time, while I held Pop's hand with my little mitten covered paw. At Smithfield Street a group of nuns got on board with us.

"That's what we need in our church, Pop! Nuns!" I said with great flourish.

Pop's Presbyterian soul must have shuddered at that thought, but the nuns shyly giggled. And my ecumenical education moved forward by degree.

Christmas City - Mcadenville, NC. Across the Catawba River from Charlotte. There's a driving route through the town during December every year. People come by the thousands every night in cars and buses.It is one fantastic sight. This is only a few pictures. The link has more

mcadenville nc christmas lights photos free - AOL Image Search Results

What a charming town! I imagine tourists are booking hotel rooms early to tour McAdenville!

Tomorrow begins with the baptism of my eight year old nephew. It's down in the neighboring town of Wellsville.

In my faith, baptism happens to infants. The proud parents come up to the baptismal font, a huge clam shell on a concrete pedesta. Everything in Trinity Presbyterian was concrete except the chambers holding the organ pipes which were covered with oak strip flooring oriented vertically, and the oak pews. Other than that, Calvinism meets architecture in a symphony of cold gray concrete.

The parents cradle their wee bairn and the minister reaches into the clam shell and draws out a handful of East Liverpool tap water. A blessing is said, the baby's fontenel is wetted and tears of joy are dabbed away from every attending mother's eye.

But my nephew is going to be fully emersed. And this particular chapel does not have a water heater for their baptismal pool. My nephew expressed his concern over getting dunked in December water. He told my brother that he intends to wear a long sleeve shirt to stave off the chill. No one has the heart to tell him that long sleeves won't protect him against chilly water.

By the way, anybody else notice how the days are getting longer?

Last edited:
Tomorrow begins with the baptism of my eight year old nephew. It's down in the neighboring town of Wellsville.

In my faith, baptism happens to infants. The proud parents come up to the baptismal font, a huge clam shell on a concrete pedesta. Everything in Trinity Presbyterian was concrete except the chambers holding the organ pipes which were covered with oak strip flooring oriented vertically, and the oak pews. Other than that, Calvinism meets architecture in a symphony of cold gray concrete.

The parents cradle their wee bairn and the minister reaches into the clam shell and draws out a handful of East Liverpool tap water. A blessing is said, the baby's fontenel is wetted and tears of joy are dabbed away from every attending mother's eye.

But my nephew is going to be fully emersed. And this particular chapel does not have a water heater for their baptismal pool. My nephew expressed his concern over getting dunked in December water. He told my brother that he intends to wear a long sleeve shirt to stave off the chill. No one has the heart to tell him that long sleeves won't protect him against chilly water.

LDS?

LDS?
United Brethern.

LDS?
United Brethern.

Congrats to your nephew. :)

Christmas in Pittsburgh. The tree at Horne's Department store downtown. We love fireworks in Pittsburgh!

Redirect Notice

Fireworks are more a New Year's Eve thing here but I bet it is awesome. I'm posting the photo at your link:

20151120rldLightUp05-3.jpg

Tonight special thoughts, prayers, comforting vibes go out to boedicca and her family in the passing of her beloved father.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
Boedicca and family in the loss of her father,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Preparations. . .
332187-coda-craven.jpg

Wow, I just logged on and have been looking at those wonderful pictures you have put up, FF. They are all so beautiful and resplendent of this wonderful season we are privileged to enjoy.

I do wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I also wish for continued prosperity for the USMB Coffee Shop. I am having a terrible time typing correctly as I slit the index finger on my left hand at work yesterday. lol. It is better today. That antibiotic cream works wonders and fast but it is the bandaid that is causing me to slow down and just be grateful it wasn't my hand I chopped off while trying to wrap a 3 x 4 feet framed picture with cardboard and a huge tape gun, for a customer.

How great to see BBD again. I hope he and his beautiful wife are doing fantastically, as always. What a handsome couple they are. I remember pics he put up a few years ago.

Well, cheers to all CS regulars and to the owner herself who makes her place the sweetest of all in USMB land to come to. I can just smell the hot cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate with marshmallows right this very minute and wish I had some. :) :coffee:

Last edited:
Wow, I just logged on and have been looking at those wonderful pictures you have put up, FF. They are all so beautiful and resplendent of this wonderful season we are privileged to enjoy.

I do wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I also wish for continued prosperity for the USMB Coffee Shop. I am having a terrible time typing correctly as I slit the index finger on my left hand at work yesterday. lol. It is better today. That antibiotic cream works wonders and fast but it is the bandaid that is causing me to slow down and just be grateful it wasn't my hand I chopped off while trying to wrap a 3 x 4 feet framed picture with cardboard and a huge tape gun, for a customer.

How great to see BBD again. I hope he and his beautiful wife are doing fantastically, as always. What a handsome couple they are. I remember pics he put up a few years ago.

Well, cheers to all CS regulars and to the owner hersef who makes her place the sweetest of all in USMB land to come to. I can just smell the hot cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate with marshmallows right this very minute and wish I had some. :) :coffee:

And a very Merry Christmas to you my friend. Happy you are checking back in at the CS again too. I don't 'own' the Coffee Shop though. We all do. I am just privileged to be the nosiest, bossiest one here. :)

Well, cheers to all CS regulars and to the owner hersef who makes her place the sweetest of all in USMB land to come to. I can just smell the hot cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate with marshmallows right this very minute and wish I had some. :) :coffee:

Merry Christmas, sis......

Redirect Notice

Fireworks are more a New Year's Eve thing here but I bet it is awesome. I'm posting the photo at your link:

20151120rldLightUp05-3.jpg

Pittsburghers revel in fireworks all year long. Of course rose it helps that the world famous Zambelli fireworks company in locat d in nearby New Castle, PA. When my beloved Pirates were suffering through 21 consecutive losing seasons the thing that brought out the crowds was fireworks nights.

There is a myth about the frequency of fireworks displays here. It has been rumored that an Iraqi family sought asylum in Pittsburgh back in 2003. The family moved to the north shore between PNC Park and Heinz Field. But they soon went back to Iraq as the constant din of fireworks kept them up at night.

Last edited:

And a very Merry Christmas to you my friend. Happy you are checking back in at the CS again too. I don't 'own' the Coffee Shop though. We all do. I am just privileged to be the nosiest, bossiest one here. :)
LOL, I wondered what you'd find to correct. lol

LOL, I wondered what you'd find to correct. lol

Well you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

I love hot cocoa with marshmallows too. That will be tonight when we watch a Christmas movie or two that we have watched many times before.

I'm fine, ma!
Just been busy and not particularly eager to discuss politics. Sorry if I've worried you and my siblings.
I think going back to where I left off is too daunting a task for my schedule. I would appreciate it if y'all would give me the Cliff Notes so I don't embarrass myself.
Business is good. Personal life... interesting.
Well, well! Look what the cat drug in then wouldn't eat!
How ya been, Ernie? People been worrying about you.
Don't y'all worry about me, I'm like a bad penny.
Glad to hear it! Merry Christmas, Ernie!

Those interested in the the eagle cam, a reminder that egg #1 could hatch at any time now. Today should be the day. I put an icon on my desktop to be able to check in frequently without any hassle.

Live Eagle Cam

Once the hatching process begins it can take up to a day for the baby eagle to fully free himself/herself from the egg.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back