USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's cookie .. baked goodie night at the Lumpy house, some background old time (faith included) Christmas background music and lotsa yapping in the kitchen. So I'm pretty well prepared to spread some Christmas cheer... :)

I have gone through major fits trying to get Obamacare started for 2018. Finally got the coupon book for my plan yesterday. I have to send it in before 1/1/2018. Problem is I am eligible for an Obamacare plan through the post office now. That one looks to cost eighty dollars a month more, but lower copays and it has dental insurance included. Hopefully I can get this figured out tonight and either send in the check or sign up for the other plan. Insurance, thy name is not simplicity.

I don't have any health insurance right now. I would pay the extra if it gives more perks.

You have 60 days from the loss of your job to apply for Obamacare.

Thanks. I hope I find another job quickly though even if it's not perfect it will be better than the environment I just left.

Thanks. I hope I find another job quickly though even if it's not perfect it will be better than the environment I just left.

good%20things%20happen%20to%20good-500x500.jpg

Tonight special thoughts, prayers, comforting vibes go out to boedicca and her family in the passing of her beloved father.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
Boedicca and family in the loss of her father,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

81153_gory_sneg_siyanie_1920x1200_www.Gde-Fon.com.jpg

Sherry and me will be out of town tomorrow so I just wanted to wish everyone in the Coffee Shop a Merry Christmas. This is a great group here led by Ms Foxfyre. I hope everyone has a wonderful time with their families. :)

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and the time for Nosmo King and his family to exchange gifts, eat a wonderful meal and enjoy each other's company. We had Christmas on Christmas when my brother and I were kids. The anticipation on Christmas Eve for the big day ahead, the tumbling out of bed before we were awakened by Pop's call of "Hoy lads!", the running down the staircase in our pajamas (sometimes with the footy type making running more like skating), and diving into a heap of boxes wrapped in red and green and ribbons.

But as we grew up we looked at Christmas morning more as a chance to sleep in and then lay around the house noshing on sandwiches and cookies. A more relaxed approach to the holiday for a maturing family. The grandparents are all gone. No more bundling up and driving to Pop's parents in the morning, Mom's in the afternoon.

At Pop's parents we would have breakfast before we opened our gifts. Grandpa had, among other delights, the first color television set I ever saw. We would spend Sunday evenings there watching Ed Sullivan and Bonanza. Well, I got to watch the opening as Sunday was a school night. I had to go lay down once the map burned and Lorne Greene was introduced.

Grandpa also had one of those aluminum Christmas trees. The boughs looked like silver pipe cleaners and a pink satin ornament hung from each of them. There was a light with a color wheel shining up on it. Red then blue then green and finally yellow light flooded the tree a,axing me and my brother, but making Mom feel uneasy. I found out as an adult Mom always thought that tree was tacky.

Mom's parents always gave us kids the toys Mom and Pop regretted. One Christmas I got a real drum set and my brother got a toy gun that made six or seven different noises when he sot it. Another year we got real football gear, pads, helmets, jerseys and a ball that when tossed would break everything it cast its shadow on in the living room.

But tomorrow will be low key compared to those Christmases of my youth. But just as happy!

Merry Christmas everybody!

So I've never claimed to be a candy maker, okay? But I love peanut brittle and my sister and law and others make such good peanut brittle. All are in other states this year. So when I ran across the raw Spanish peanuts with a peanut brittle recipe on the container at Sprouts, I thought I would try something different.

I had to look up a couple of terms in the recipe that were unfamiliar to me, but I followed the directions I thought exactly. And when I spread the candy into the buttered pans as directed, it looked like peanut brittle, it smelled like peanut brittle, and it tasted like peanut brittle as much as melted peanut brittle can taste I suppose. (It was a first for me.)

But once I took up the hardened candy, broke it into pieces as directed, and then took a bite....whoops!!! It tasted good but it immediately super glued our teeth together and any fillings were in mortal danger as we attempted to extract ourselves from the stuff.

I finally bagged the cooled candy pieces hoping that time would correct whatever was the problem. The next morning all those candy pieces had merged into a large mass that we couldn't separate if we used a jackhammer. Later in the day, I scooped up the bowling ball clump of sugar and nuts and gave it a proper burial in the kitchen trash can. Sighed. Now I'm waiting for the butterscotch brownies to cool so I can get busy on the snickerdoodles.

Forum List

Back