USMB Coffee Shop IV

So I've never claimed to be a candy maker, okay? But I love peanut brittle and my sister and law and others make such good peanut brittle. All are in other states this year. So when I ran across the raw Spanish peanuts with a peanut brittle recipe on the container at Sprouts, I thought I would try something different.

I had to look up a couple of terms in the recipe that were unfamiliar to me, but I followed the directions I thought exactly. And when I spread the candy into the buttered pans as directed, it looked like peanut brittle, it smelled like peanut brittle, and it tasted like peanut brittle as much as melted peanut brittle can taste I suppose. (It was a first for me.)

But once I took up the hardened candy, broke it into pieces as directed, and then took a bite....whoops!!! It tasted good but it immediately super glued our teeth together and any fillings were in mortal danger as we attempted to extract ourselves from the stuff.

I finally bagged the cooled candy pieces hoping that time would correct whatever was the problem. The next morning all those candy pieces had merged into a large mass that we couldn't separate if we used a jackhammer. Later in the day, I scooped up the bowling ball clump of sugar and nuts and gave it a proper burial in the kitchen trash can. Sighed. Now I'm waiting for the butterscotch brownies to cool so I can get busy on the snickerdoodles.

You did not achieve a high enough temperature.

Every year, I dread Christmas with the unrealistic expectations of peace and cheer and Christ-like generosity. I used to fake it fairly well, but since the death of my husband, I find it more and more difficult.

Iā€™m not trying to bring anyone down. I canā€™t express this with the bare honesty anywhere else. In a 40 day period, I go through the anniversary of his death, Thanksgiving, his birthday, Christmas, and our wedding anniversary (New Yearā€™s Day). And this year, Iā€™m having a major surgery on Jan 2.

I am thankful for what I have (really!). The kids and I have exchanged gifts, and we will share in preparing a Christmas dinner.

I just wanted someplace where I didnā€™t have to force jollity today.

And now, having gotten that off my chest, I can say with all sincerity that I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Christ also brings the promise of resurrection and a joyous reunion with your husband ricechickie.

Every year, I dread Christmas with the unrealistic expectations of peace and cheer and Christ-like generosity. I used to fake it fairly well, but since the death of my husband, I find it more and more difficult.

Iā€™m not trying to bring anyone down. I canā€™t express this with the bare honesty anywhere else. In a 40 day period, I go through the anniversary of his death, Thanksgiving, his birthday, Christmas, and our wedding anniversary (New Yearā€™s Day). And this year, Iā€™m having a major surgery on Jan 2.

I am thankful for what I have (really!). The kids and I have exchanged gifts, and we will share in preparing a Christmas dinner.

And now, having gotten that off my chest, I can say with all sincerity that I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Christ also brings the promise of resurrection and a joyous reunion with your husband ricechickie.

Thank you. I will try to remember that.

ia 007 still around? I haven't seen any posts by him

He isn't as active as he used to be but is still posting some on USMB forums and checks in here at the Coffee Shop every now and then. You and he and Big Black Dog all share a birthday you know, so we can't completely split you guys up. :)
Thank you. yes, i remember that. I think 007 and I were both the same age too.

So this morning I get off the bus and some idiot decides to blow himself up in the bus terminal. I was never in any real danger. I was in the same building but about half a block away. I heard the explosion and saw a few hundred people come running in my direction screaming bomb, and active shooter. the guy did more damage to himself than anyone else fortunately

It was a bus terminal? I thought it was the subway system? I guess I didn't understand what the port terminal was. Happy you weren't near the guy though I guess the few injuries he caused others were fairly minor--the worst he did to himself if the media got it right.

yes, the subway tunnel leads into the port authority. it is both a bus terminal and subway hub. turns out the only real injury was to himself. the other people just had ringing in the ears from the explosion

Spoonman .. Hello old Pal... :beer:
Lumpy, how the heck are you

Yes, well no planning any premature USMB exits okay? I have plans to enjoy you here for a long time.

No worries. I plan to survive the surgery.

You misspelled thrive. Lord, watch over our friend ricechickie and guide the hands if her surgeon, assist the recuperation through the nurses and heal her completely. Amen

Save, I appreciate the prayers. I mean it. I wonā€™t turn down any prayers or words of encouragement.

Merry Christmas, and bless you.

Oh, I forgot to add this little story from yesterday.

My youngest daughter unbeknownst to me or Mrs. Liberty has written back and forth to my MIL for years. This is the MIL who passed away recently. Well young one brings this Christmas card from MIL with her to Christmas and opens it here. Thing is, MIL did not send out cards this year. We cannot make out the post mark, but it is at least a year old. Young one has moved several times in the last two years and this card was addressed to an old address in Colorado Springs. Seems it caught up to her just before Christmas this year. On the cover was a winter scene with cardinals. A cardinal in a winter scene was on the face of her funeral home memorandum.

A Christmas ship at Garabaldfi Oregon last night:

24899992_10155432953883369_1528525516428528439_n.jpg

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogoā€™s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
Boedicca and family in the loss of her father,
ricechickie for impending surgery,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

And as we bid farewell to Christmas night 2017:
Cute%20Night%20Quotes.jpg

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and that Santa was good to you all! :) I got to spend the day at my aunt's with my family and my grandmother. My grandmother was doing amazingly well compared to how she was just a couple of weeks ago. Her doctor discontinued the routine dosage of Ativan that they were giving her, and OMG. You wouldn't believe how much better and how much more aware she is. She was talking. She was able to recognize me. In fact, when I pulled into my aunt's house, they were just pulling in with grammy, and I went over to their car and poked my head inside to say hello. I pulled my sunglasses up, and she laughed and said "you pulled your sunglasses up so I would recognize you." She was right! Lol! Great day anyways. Having my grandmother somewhat "back" was the best Christmas present ever!

If you have a loved one with Alzheimer's and they are on Ativan, take into consideration that this particular drug seems to make their Alzheimer symptoms worse. You may want to discuss with the doctor lowering the dosage or discontinuing it completely in favor of another alternative. The change in my grandmother's behavior is just amazing since discontinuing the Ativan (she still gets it on a p.r.n. or as needed basis).

Yes, we all miss those empty chairs that were once filled during the holidays. I miss my son, my father and my grandfather every day and it is normal to think about them even more during holiday seasons when we would normally have everyone together. :( The only thing I can say is try not to dwell on it, try to stay busy and give yourself some good feels by doing some kind things for other people/family members.

It should be noted that in many of the more liturgical and orthodox traditions, the four Sundays/weeks leading up to Christmas is Advent or preparation for Christmas. Christmas Day BEGINS the 12 days of Christmas instead of ending Christmas.

So on the second day of Christmas I offer this special treat of a (cough) barbershop quartet stranded in a snowstorm at some church:

youtube four kids lip synching Christmas carol - Bing video

Last edited:

Forum List

Back