USMB Coffee Shop IV

Is it New Years Day today somewhere in the world?
I just read an article about a Japanese rice pounding ritual on New Years Day.
I know there are many cultures and New Years Day is different in many places in this big world.

Alas I know of no special holidays anywhere in the world on January 28 BradVesp. But happy you decided to come back. :)

About the most exciting thing that happened on a January 28 was probably in 1922 when the NFL franchise in Decatur IL moved to Chicago and took the name of the Chicago Bears.

Is it New Years Day today somewhere in the world?
I just read an article about a Japanese rice pounding ritual on New Years Day.
I know there are many cultures and New Years Day is different in many places in this big world.

Alas I know of no special holidays anywhere in the world on January 28 BradVesp. But happy you decided to come back. :)

About the most exciting thing that happened on a January 28 was probably in 1922 when the NFL franchise in Decatur IL moved to Chicago and took the name of the Chicago Bears.

Diet of Worms 1521 Luther goes on trial.

1547 Edward VI becomes King of England at age 9.

1724 Russian Academy of Sciences started by Peter the Great

1813 Pride and Prejudice published.

1887 In a snowstorm at Fort Keogh, Montana, the world's largest snowflakes are reported, being 15 inches (38 cm) wide and 8 inches (20 cm) thick.

Also the Eiffel Tower construction was started.

1917 Street cars are in San Francisco

1951 Nuclear test in Nevada

1956 Elvis appears on TV for the first time.

1958 Lego bricks are patented.

1985 "We Are the World" recorded.

1986 The space shuttle explodes

I came home for lunch to watch that launch.

I was substitute teaching a group of students who had watched it blow up. Tough day.

I think I was in school while in elementary school. I was 11 at the time, and I have a vague recollection of finding out about it while in class.
I was living in Sarasota Florida and working at an engineering firm. I was Resident Inspector at an infrastructure project and could see the contrails in the Southeastern sky.

The Apollo 1 disaster happened on January 27. Challenger blew up on January 28. What is it about this time of year?

The family bundled into my brother's Honda CRV and drove the twenty minutes down to DeeJay's Restaurant in Weirton, West Virginia this afternoon. DeeJay's is famous for succulent baby back ribs and numbers among my favorite restaurants. Mom, my sister-in-law, my brother and I had a great meal and then went back to the Big House for pie. We were out to celebrate my last day as a sixty year old human. Tomorrow I turn sixty-one.

I got some nice birthday cards and one of those car jumper battery packs. They are amazing and should be in everyone's car right along side the spare tire. About the size of a half carton of smokes, these little powerhouses are capable of jump starting your car even with a dead battery. They can also charge a cellular phone or tablet, they have a super bright flashlight built right in and mine even has a compass!

Daisy the Mutt turned nine last Monday. If one human year equals seven dog years, Daisy just turned 63. Tomorrow I turn 61. Why then does she still run around the park like a puppy and I shuffle around as if I were a pall bearer?

I was substitute teaching a group of students who had watched it blow up. Tough day.

I think I was in school while in elementary school. I was 11 at the time, and I have a vague recollection of finding out about it while in class.
I was living in Sarasota Florida and working at an engineering firm. I was Resident Inspector at an infrastructure project and could see the contrails in the Southeastern sky.

The Apollo 1 disaster happened on January 27. Challenger blew up on January 28. What is it about this time of year?

The family bundled into my brother's Honda CRV and drove the twenty minutes down to DeeJay's Restaurant in Weirton, West Virginia this afternoon. DeeJay's is famous for succulent baby back ribs and numbers among my favorite restaurants. Mom, my sister-in-law, my brother and I had a great meal and then went back to the Big House for pie. We were out to celebrate my last day as a sixty year old human. Tomorrow I turn sixty-one.

I got some nice birthday cards and one of those car jumper battery packs. They are amazing and should be in everyone's car right along side the spare tire. About the size of a half carton of smokes, these little powerhouses are capable of jump starting your car even with a dead battery. They can also charge a cellular phone or tablet, they have a super bright flashlight built right in and mine even has a compass!

Daisy the Mutt turned nine last Monday. If one human year equals seven dog years, Daisy just turned 63. Tomorrow I turn 61. Why then does she still run around the park like a puppy and I shuffle around as if I were a pall bearer?
Actually, there is some credence to your comment about "... that time of year ...".

Both "accidents", as you say, occurred in January. Apollo 1 was caused by an electrical spark in the main cabin. Apollo 7, on the other hand, was blamed on an O-ring. However, both accidents have a common thread - temperature. Both "launches" were almost cancelled because of cold weather. It is hypothesized - because no one knows for sure - that the Apollo 1 spark happened because of condensation, and the O-ring failure was because of cold shrinkage. Both accidents resulted in increasing the base temperature required for launch. I've participated in 14 launches in the past 30 years, and sometimes s**t just happens - and sometimes, there is a reason for it.

Can it be proven? No. But, it's a lot better theory than gremlins (or a Russian trawler sitting offshore with a fantamasical laser ray gun - a popular excuse in the 80s)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Hombre's and Mr. Seagal's cataract surgery recuperation

And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Do not worry if you do not understand everything because some things are not for us to understand but are for us to just accept.--anonymous
chiles-puyehue-volcano-eruption-june-2011-31.jpg

Jellyfish. So elegant how they swim around. So dangerous too (some of them) but still so beautiful to look at.
Therefore..i think the new half moon table I bought today wants to have jellyfish painted on it.

So far..only the koi table has sold. The folk art blackbird chest of drawers and the leaf table have not. But...I am in no hurry and they are in a mall space where lots of comments are left..just no sale. Which is ok. I do it for the money, yes, but mostly I do it to just have something to do. I stay mostly in my room now. Having something to paint soothes me. MrG and I are just falling deeper into reclusive behavior. He never leaves his room now at all except to go to the market now and then. I was hitting thrift shops, but now I have begun to follow his behavior. We have IttyBit keeping us company, though. And we have TV and Netflix...and I have my paint projects. Why go out? For what?

I still grieve for karma. And my old life. I want it back. Alas...can't go back to what was. Meanwhile...we sit. And wait. For...whatever.

Sorry. Don't know why I typed this. Maybe I just needed to unstuff my brain. Going back to netflix now.

Happy Birthday!

We were watching it on TV when it happened in class. I remember that our teacher was really into it because they were sending a teacher into space. We were all too young to really know what was happening when it exploded. IIRC, I think our teacher just walked over and shut the TV off after it happened.

Happy birthday wishes to you and belated Happy birthday to sweet little Daisy! :)

e9bf5eada45a3cb05aa08e4a40aa99da--poodles-birthday-cakes.jpg

I was in Vegas in 86. Punking out and smoking weed.LOL

We were watching it on TV when it happened in class. I remember that our teacher was really into it because they were sending a teacher into space. We were all too young to really know what was happening when it exploded. IIRC, I think our teacher just walked over and shut the TV off after it happened.

We were working and on the road that morning. Hombre had an appointment and I had a few minutes before my first appointment so was watching the launch on TV in our motel room in Hobbs NM. When it became apparent that something may have gone terribly wrong and the contrails of the departing spacecraft didn't look right at all, I didn't want to believe it and kept waiting for word that all was well. It never came.

It was one of those tragic events if you were old enough to really understand--like when Kennedy was shot or 9/11 happened--that most of us remember where we were and who we were with when we first heard that it happened. And like with the other events, for most of us, business went on pretty much as usual but a kind of sense of national mourning was felt by all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back