USMB Coffee Shop IV

Today we recognize our Coffee Shop philosopher:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nosmo King

900_19272da6m_a-birthday-cake-for-a-queen.jpg
Thank you Foxy!

Philosopher?!? That's too exhaltant. I'll take Gasbag or Bullshitter.

LOL. Maybe we all have a bit of that in us too Nosmo, but those adjectives don't ever come to mind when I read your posts. :)

Last edited:
The January Thaw is over and today we are getting what the weather guessers call a "wintry mix". I knew it would snow today as it has on this date for 57 of the last sixty-one years. I had several birthday parties blizzarded out when I was a wee shaver. I always wanted a birthday picnic, but the tail end of January is not the time, in this place, to spread a blanket on the lawn and dine al fresco.

I did some calculations and found that when you're roughly 27 and a half you have lived 10,000 days. But when my 10,000th day came I was living in Sarasota, Florida and I could conceivably have my long awaited birthday picnic at last.

What one of my ex sister-in-laws called "Cake Days" have come to an end for my family. Mom and Pop's wedding anniversary is January 20, my birthday is today and Mom's birthday comes on February 13. A string of diabetic comas plagued the family in the dead of winter. But these days Mom gets a bouquet of flowers from me to mark her anniversary, I got a sugar free blackberry pie for my birthday and Mom will still get her cake. This year it will be festooned with 84 candles, or a candle in the shape of an 8 and one shaped like a 4.

Mom and Pop married on the same day (a Tuesday) Ike was sworn in for his first term. A cold, sleet drenched Tuesday afternoon. The church they were married in has a long granite stairway leading from the sanctuary to College Street to the west. Mom left the sanctuary and out the front door to be pelted with rice as a beaming new bride. Her vail quickly filled with freezing rain as none of the guests wanted to brave the weather. Instead, they were in the church basement eating the traditional Presbyterian weddng feast of boiled ham on white rolls, coffee and wedding cake.

The happy couple drove to Cleveland for their honeymoon. Now, take inventory here. They married on a Tuesday afternoon and honeymooned in Cleveland. There's the Jet Set, and then there's my parents.

Here in East Liverpool, Ohio we take great pride in our history as the Pottery Capital of the World. Fifty years ago there was a very good chance that the dinnerware in your breakfront was produced right here. Today it's either plastic Corel dinnerware or imported from Asia. But that does not deter us from checking the back stamp (the label on the underside of dinnerware that indicates which pottery made the piece). In fact there is an official Plate Turners Society with membership cards and everything. East Liverpudlians proudly carry one in their wallets to justify our inspection of the place setting.

Mom and Pop spent their honeymoon in Cleveland's finest hotel. They took in the sights and smells of Cleveland circa 1953. They then dined in one of Cleveland's finest restaurants. Handsomely dressed in her new trousseau Mom took her place across the table from Pop dressed in his finest suit adorned with a white carnation and crisp pocket square. They were the very picture of a young couple deeply in love and on the rise.

When the salad course was served Pop did not hesitate to carry out our quirky local tradition and check out that chilled plate. But a glob of Thousand Island dressing had fouled the rim of his salad plate. He confidently lifted the plate over his head only to be foiled by the lubrication the salad dressing had imparted. He lost his grip and the whole salad cascaded over the top of his head!

Now other diners in that posh restaurant were not aware of the East Liverpool tradition of checking back stamps. How could they? They were from Cleveland, a good 150 miles from the Pottery Capital of the World. To those other diners, a handsome couple took their table and the presumably mentally touched young man merely decided to pour lettuce and croutons over his head.

Mom must have been so proud!

Jellyfish. So elegant how they swim around. So dangerous too (some of them) but still so beautiful to look at.
Therefore..i think the new half moon table I bought today wants to have jellyfish painted on it.

So far..only the koi table has sold. The folk art blackbird chest of drawers and the leaf table have not. But...I am in no hurry and they are in a mall space where lots of comments are left..just no sale. Which is ok. I do it for the money, yes, but mostly I do it to just have something to do. I stay mostly in my room now. Having something to paint soothes me. MrG and I are just falling deeper into reclusive behavior. He never leaves his room now at all except to go to the market now and then. I was hitting thrift shops, but now I have begun to follow his behavior. We have IttyBit keeping us company, though. And we have TV and Netflix...and I have my paint projects. Why go out? For what?

I still grieve for karma. And my old life. I want it back. Alas...can't go back to what was. Meanwhile...we sit. And wait. For...whatever.

Sorry. Don't know why I typed this. Maybe I just needed to unstuff my brain. Going back to netflix now.
Howdy Gracie! I heard this song and it made me think of you:

I managed to scroll through a few pages, but was 50 pages behind and that was just too much for even me.
I have some rare chance now to be here. The generator is running and I have power. I don't know how long, though, since my partner is messing around with this batteries again. I usually have no electric power unless I run the generator. I am pretty happy, though. Life is quiet here, otherwise. I heat with wood, using the propane heater to keep the place above freezing when I'm at work. I always preferred lantern light to the anemic type of light provided by the LEDs.
It's been perilously cold here since the New Year. I admit, I feel the cold so much more at this age than I did only a few years ago. The days are noticeably longer, too. The turning of the year always brings more daylight, which helps compensate for the chill temperatures.
I've gotten accustomed to my 2 hour commute to work. I have my waypoints down pat and know where the particularly perilous stretches of road are located. But I will be visiting a job fair for this area in March. I'd like to have more time daily to do other things that need done around here. Right now, I have time to care for my critters, prepare my lunch and get a nap before the spin cycle begins again.

Hey Gallant.
Did you feel the quake up there?
Oh, yeah! I was reading when something in the kitchen started rattling. I held a quick head count of cats just as the rest of the house started up. Damned animals are supposed to warn us of impending earthquakes, aren't they? Even my farm dogs didn't bark, which is rare because the puppy seems to never shut up! It was a pretty good quake, but far enough away. Where I am, I didn't even get the tsunami warning on my phone.

Hey Gallant.
How are you doing? And Mr. P? How's AZ?

His deep blood blisters that he got wearing a air cast for his broken leg is finally getting towards the end of healing,maybe another two weeks and he's doing good.

He has been riding his Can Am all over the place.
It's in the 70's here and beautiful. :)

I'm fine and can finally have some fun and more time on the board again. :yes_text12:

All of last year was a nightmare. :D

Hey Gallant.
How are you doing? And Mr. P? How's AZ?

His deep blood blisters that he got wearing a air cast for his broken leg is finally getting towards the end of healing,maybe another two weeks and he's doing good.

He has been riding his Can Am all over the place.
It's in the 70's here and beautiful. :)

I'm fine and can finally have some fun and more time on the board again. :yes_text12:

All of last year was a nightmare. :D
I'm glad to know things are going better for both of you. Guy's gotta have his Can Am and the ability to enjoy it. I used to ride my motorcycle out to the desert and camp, or sometimes just lay back on the handlebars and watch the sky. I used to know Sierra Vista and Benson pretty well. My last relative in Benson died many years ago, though. She used to send me home with grocery bags full of pomegranates.

I managed to scroll through a few pages, but was 50 pages behind and that was just too much for even me.
I have some rare chance now to be here. The generator is running and I have power. I don't know how long, though, since my partner is messing around with this batteries again. I usually have no electric power unless I run the generator. I am pretty happy, though. Life is quiet here, otherwise. I heat with wood, using the propane heater to keep the place above freezing when I'm at work. I always preferred lantern light to the anemic type of light provided by the LEDs.
It's been perilously cold here since the New Year. I admit, I feel the cold so much more at this age than I did only a few years ago. The days are noticeably longer, too. The turning of the year always brings more daylight, which helps compensate for the chill temperatures.
I've gotten accustomed to my 2 hour commute to work. I have my waypoints down pat and know where the particularly perilous stretches of road are located. But I will be visiting a job fair for this area in March. I'd like to have more time daily to do other things that need done around here. Right now, I have time to care for my critters, prepare my lunch and get a nap before the spin cycle begins again.

Whoa 2 hours?
I'm never going to complain again about the 20minutes to town. :)

How can you do that?
I'd end up falling asleep.

Whoa 2 hours?
I'm never going to complain again about the 20minutes to town. :)

How can you do that?
I'd end up falling asleep.
Truth? As long as the housekeeping is done and we make our flights, most of us nap at work and it's not a big deal. Just keep your radio on and respond if called. Graveyard shift is tough and even the supervisor will slip out to his "secret" spot to watch the planes land and take off. Some nights, I'll work 4-5 planes, some only 1. This last week, for instance, I've been able to slip in at least three hours of plane-watching.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.
hope-is-being-able-to-see-that-there-is-light-despite-of-all-darkness-desmond-tutu-inspirational-quotes-pictures.jpg

Hopefully today was a more positive day, Gracie! :) Maybe some yoga and meditation/relaxation exercises could help you and Mr. Gracie with your "spiritual" well being, for lack of a better word.
I am dragging myself out tomorrow..off to the Rez to get a couple cartons of cigs. Taking a friend with me. Then I will stop off at Casey's house and give him a new stuffed toy to gnaw on. It will be my outting day, I guess. Not thrilled to go..but...I gotta.
Once I get back home...my meditation will be deciding what color to paint the jelly fish. :)

Hopefully today was a more positive day, Gracie! :) Maybe some yoga and meditation/relaxation exercises could help you and Mr. Gracie with your "spiritual" well being, for lack of a better word.
I am dragging myself out tomorrow..off to the Rez to get a couple cartons of cigs. Taking a friend with me. Then I will stop off at Casey's house and give him a new stuffed toy to gnaw on. It will be my outting day, I guess. Not thrilled to go..but...I gotta.
Once I get back home...my meditation will be deciding what color to paint the jelly fish. :)

How far is the reservation?

Forum List

Back