USMB Coffee Shop IV

If your last name is Peterson, don't name your kid Scott.

Just sayin'.

Can we have a national Help a Squirrel Cross the Street Day?

It would be far more helpful than a lot of recognized causes.

I could get into that. Sign me up. :)

So how is the new job going? Are you liking it?

Coming up on a 90 day review, so I'll know pretty soon. A lot to know and they keep giving me more to do. I guess that means they want me to have more experience, so that can be a good sign. I will like it more when I feel all the general tasks are easy to remember.

I hear that. I have had a couple of jobs that required skills/knowledge that were enough unfamiliar to me that it was harder to get my brain wrapped around and master, and that is always uncomfortable. One was a temp job with a cross country trucking firm that I opted not to stay with after my initial 30 days was up--it just didn't mesh well with me and it wasn't a fun job to inspire me to master it. The other was with a RV manufacturing firm that had such poor and disorganized management that believed in isolating administrative processes from each other for whatever reason and it was a nightmare because you didn't know how what you did affected anybody else. I've never seen anything like it. It was also a temp job that I opted not to stay with.

I had one temp job when we first moved to Albuquerque--with a liquor import outfit of all things (I am a teetotaler)--that my training, experience, and skills fit with very well with and I learned almost from day one. The place itself was a blast--loved the people I worked with--but the job itself was mind numbingly unchallenging and boring. So, even though I think I might have been offered a permanent job there, when I was offered a permanent job in a much more challenging place, I took it. It was tearful goodbye though. I became very fond of a lot of folks in a short period of time and the management was superb.

And since unraveling the mysteries of the post office was difficult enough just dealing with it when we were in business, I can imagine how many different things you have to know to be an expert in your job. And I suspect you, like me, are not comfortable in any job where you are not expert. :)

Last edited:

Just sayin'.

:) Yep. And if your last name is Manson, you don't want your kid to be Charles. Or if you are a Simpson, you don't want your kid to be Orville James.

So how goes it with you and yours Boe?

I hear that. I have had a couple of jobs that required skills/knowledge that were enough unfamiliar to me that it was harder to get my brain wrapped around and master, and that is always uncomfortable. One was a temp job with a cross country trucking firm that I opted not to stay with after my initial 30 days was up--it just didn't mesh well with me and it wasn't a fun job to inspire me to master it. The other was with a RV manufacturing firm that had such poor and disorganized management that believed in isolating administrative processes from each other for whatever reason and it was a nightmare because you didn't know how what you did affected anybody else. I've never seen anything like it. It was also a temp job that I opted not to stay with.

I had one temp job when we first moved to Albuquerque--with a liquor import outfit of all things (I am a teetotaler)--that my training, experience, and skills fit with very well with and I learned almost from day one. The place itself was a blast--loved the people I worked with--but the job itself was mind numbingly unchallenging and boring. So, even though I think I might have been offered a permanent job there, when I was offered a permanent job in a much more challenging place, I took it. It was tearful goodbye though. I became very fond of a lot of folks in a short period of time and the management was superb.

And since unraveling the mysteries of the post office was difficult enough just dealing with it when we were in business, I can imagine how many different things you have to know to be an expert in your job. And I suspect you, like me, are not comfortable in any job where you are not expert. :)

Oh the sheer volume means mistakes are going to happen. It will be better over time. I am lucky to be well liked so far. It was of my own choosing to try something in a different direction from what I was familiar and comfortable.

Just sayin'.

:) Yep. And if your last name is Manson, you don't want your kid to be Charles. Or if you are a Simpson, you don't want your kid to be Orville James.

Hey FF! I'm doing okay. Missing my Dad...that's just something I have to live with forever now. But life goes on. mr. boe and I are plotting moving out of CA. It will take us 2-3 years most likely, but we are forming A Plan with other family members to move the clan to a mutually agreeable spot.

I am so sick of the traffic, homeless encampments, filthy sidewalks, and oppressive Prog Intolerance in the Bay Area. Taking care of Mom, and the weather + a great paying job are keeping us here for now.

I went to pick the little one up from school last week, a 5 minute drive, and nearly killed 2 squirrels that ran out in front of me. They need the help. :lol:

I know, right?

Squirrel Appreciation Day

Oh shoot. We have to wait until next January to do this? I already ordered the stuff to make my sign and was putting on my marching shoes. :(

I went to pick the little one up from school last week, a 5 minute drive, and nearly killed 2 squirrels that ran out in front of me. They need the help. :lol:

I know, right?

Oh shoot. We have to wait until next January to do this? I already ordered the stuff to make my sign and was putting on my marching shoes. :(

4403A_195.jpg

Just keep birds out of the squirrel feeders.

Just sayin'.

Hey FF! I'm doing okay. Missing my Dad...that's just something I have to live with forever now. But life goes on. mr. boe and I are plotting moving out of CA. It will take us 2-3 years most likely, but we are forming A Plan with other family members to move the clan to a mutually agreeable spot.

I am so sick of the traffic, homeless encampments, filthy sidewalks, and oppressive Prog Intolerance in the Bay Area. Taking care of Mom, and the weather + a great paying job are keeping us here for now.

Yes I have thought about you and your dad from time to time. My mom has been gone for 35 years and I still miss her. But loving somebody now and forever is their most important legacy.

Yours is a story I am hearing from several good friends and relatives on the west coast, especially those in LA and the bay area. But given the high cost of living in CA, especially re housing, a lower salary in a more affordable place might still net more disposable income. And after California traffic, even Albuquerque seems like a small town. :)

I know, right?

4403A_195.jpg

Just keep birds out of the squirrel feeders.

Holy cow. There are such things as squirrel feeders? I would think the jays would empty one of those in minutes.

Up on the mountain we bought raw peanuts and intermittently put a little pile of them on the back deck. Within a minute or so, the first jay would spot them and I don't know what kind of signal he put out but here they all came, dozens in a frenzied peanut grabbing display. They would pick one up and fly off the deck a few yards and put the peanut on the ground and pick up a pinecone or something to put on top of it and come back for another. Sometimes they would be so excited they would leave with a peanut and forget to deposit it and would fly back with the peanut still in their beaks. Funny to watch.

And alas they would dispatch the pile of peanuts before the rock squirrels ever had a chance.

Just sayin'.

If you can save up some money, it could go a long way in a state with a lower cost of living. :) Places like California and New York can be so expensive!

Living in North Carolina and Texas, we have herds of deer and tons of squirrels running across roads. You can go to most auto parts stores and buy a set of 2 deer whistles for about $5.00 and you won't have to worry about animals running across the road and damaging your car and/or killing you or passengers. I have used them for years and never hit an animal. A guy hit a deer in front of my house in December and did a lot of damage to his car. I live in a big housing development and the yards are full of deer tracks.

Just sayin'.

If you can save up some money, it could go a long way in a state with a lower cost of living. :) Places like California and New York can be so expensive!

Indeed. Our plan is to sell our house and then buy a house for cash with money leftover when we relocate. At that point, we'd be able to live on about of third of what we make now given the difference in tax rates. If I get lucky with my current gig (i.e. company is bought), I could just outright retire. Fingers crossed.

Just been listening to the album by Joni Mitchel called 'ladies of the canyon' and it choked me up. Tears came to my eyes.

She is another one I just couldn't get with I guess. But many did appreciate her music and it apparently moves you, so who can argue with that?

Joni Mitchell is a bundle of talent. Her voice is beautiful and her lyrics poetic. She even did the artwork for some of her record sleeves. I like the early albums, before she became more worldly wise. Take a listen.

Just been listening to the album by Joni Mitchel called 'ladies of the canyon' and it choked me up. Tears came to my eyes.

She is another one I just couldn't get with I guess. But many did appreciate her music and it apparently moves you, so who can argue with that?

Joni Mitchell is a bundle of talent. Her voice is beautiful and her lyrics poetic. She even did the artwork for some of her record sleeves. I like the early albums, before she became more worldly wise. Take a listen.

Yes I am familiar with that one, but sorry, Just not my thing. I can appreciate the talent but I don't enjoy her music--too much of it involves chords and phrasing that bother me as a musician. But I am quite happy that some do enjoy her stuff.

Living in North Carolina and Texas, we have herds of deer and tons of squirrels running across roads. You can go to most auto parts stores and buy a set of 2 deer whistles for about $5.00 and you won't have to worry about animals running across the road and damaging your car and/or killing you or passengers. I have used them for years and never hit an animal. A guy hit a deer in front of my house in December and did a lot of damage to his car. I live in a big housing development and the yards are full of deer tracks.

Deer whistles? How does that keep you from hitting deer?

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

What would you attempt if you knew you couldn't fail?
courage_21x16_1.jpg

Forum List

Back