USMB Coffee Shop IV

DW4nUG0W0AElRpP.jpg

So much for spending money on cd's, I just find my favorite albums on youtube and play them in the background while surfing the web.
I just scared myself by pressing the ctrl key by mistake, instead of shift and all my favorites list disappeared but I found it had just shifted the menu from favorites to feeds, and I did not loose all my favorites.

Just thought of a technical hitch to all this free music. I am only allowed to download 40 gigabytes a month.
I wonder what happens then. Do they cut me off the internet for the rest of the month, or charge me extra.?

another guitar gem from youtube

Pretty good but not my favorite Chet Atkins.

My all time favorite accoustic guitarist - several songs on the recording. He wasn't a bad singer but he was a brilliant guitarist:

I used to be able to play most of classical gas, but I have not practiced for years and can't play anything now.

That is no doubt his most famous piece, but there are others on that You Tube clip that I just can't get enough of. Greensleeves for instance.

Phil Collins greatest hits album

Phil Collins is one of the few almost 'new age' musicians that I actually enjoy. Sort of a cross between rock/pop/blues/new age and even occasionally gave us a glimpse into the heavy metal era.

Last edited:

My all time favorite accoustic guitarist - several songs on the recording. He wasn't a bad singer but he was a brilliant guitarist:

I used to be able to play most of classical gas, but I have not practiced for years and can't play anything now.

My older sister recently moved to a group home type assisted living facility as she could no longer stay by herself. So I have temporarily taken her very fine digital piano until her daughter in Kentucky can figure out how to get to Kentucky (which will likely be years from now.) I have played piano, pretty unproficiently, in the past and could bang out a few recognizable tunes, but I haven't played in more than 30 years. So I was pretty humbled when I sat down and found out how much what skills I had I pretty much no longer have. I couldn't remember any memorized piece anymore. Couldn't play even a relatively simple piece without a lot of error.

But I think with some effort I could get at least some of that back. As you could with your guitar. But I don't know if it would be worth the time and effort. And it could be the same for you. :)

My older sister recently moved to a group home type assisted living facility as she could no longer stay by herself. So I have temporarily taken her very fine digital piano until her daughter in Kentucky can figure out how to get to Kentucky (which will likely be years from now.) I have played piano, pretty unproficiently, in the past and could bang out a few recognizable tunes, but I haven't played in more than 30 years. So I was pretty humbled when I sat down and found out how much what skills I had I pretty much no longer have. I couldn't remember any memorized piece anymore. Couldn't play even a relatively simple piece without a lot of error.

But I think with some effort I could get at least some of that back. As you could with your guitar. But I don't know if it would be worth the time and effort. And it could be the same for you. :)

Since my only attempt at a public performance was a failure because of nerves, I see no point in struggling to master the guitar just to play the same stuff to myself over and over again. What finished me was trying to learn Villa Lobos prelude no 1. I cannot sight read through difficult sheet music, I have to learn it a bar at a time and memorise it. I learned one page of the following piece but got sick of having to play it every day and still struggle with mistakes. If I stopped practicing for a couple of days I started forgetting it and playing it over and over made me sick of it and I quit.

Since my only attempt at a public performance was a failure because of nerves, I see no point in struggling to master the guitar just to play the same stuff to myself over and over again. What finished me was trying to learn Villa Lobos prelude no 1. I cannot sight read through difficult sheet music, I have to learn it a bar at a time and memorise it. I learned one page of the following piece but got sick of having to play it every day and still struggle with mistakes. If I stopped practicing for a couple of days I started forgetting it and playing it over and over made me sick of it and I quit.

Conversely, I play/played purely for my own enjoyment and not for any greater purpose. And there is no stress or frustration involved for that reason. And I am pretty proficient in reading music. Just not making music with a piano. :) I wouldn't do anything that I didn't need or have to do if there was little or no enjoyment in it for me though.

While it's true the Ohio River is now in flood, that's much farther downstream than East Liverpool. We had a drenching rain Saturday night, but we also drain exceptionally well due to our topography. If you refused to make your bed after a dreamless winter's night, look at the heaps of blankets and sheets and pillows. You can then fairly compare that sight to the lay of the land in these parts.

Excitement over the rapid approach of Spring continues! On today's walk Daisy chased squirrels coming out of hibernation while I listened to robin's song. Several of the trees that flower in Spring are already sprouting buds. Dogwoods, Eastern Redbuds and Wild Cherries now have a hazy look about the boughs as this season's buds are a poppin'!

Sunday featured the second rehearsal for the Easter Pageant on the Hillside and the first rehearsal held outdoors. We fired up the sound system, readied the microphones and stood happy against the breeze as the actors climbed the Hillside. With all the rain the night before we feared that the slope may be too slick to afford safe footing. But the lawn was dry and the clay soil right beneath the grass was no real hazard.

On Saturday Mom made it up to Columbiana and the bulk door store run by our local Mennonite community. She loves to buy the bags of spices and tapioca and banana nut bread mixes. Clerks wearing neat lace bonnets man the deli counter slicing off cheddar cheese and baby Swiss to customers specifications. You can't get a good corned beef sandwich and a kosher pickle there. This deli is more Andy Williams rather than Mel Brookes. I hanker for the great delis of the lower east side of Manhattan where pastrami is hand cut and piled a foot high between two slices of fresh rye and a schmear of mustard. Ask for mayonnaise without shame in Columbiana.

Sorry I haven't been around as much as I'd like. I'm sniffing out good stories to tell.

Last edited:
While it's true the Ohio River is now in flood, that's much farther downstream than East Liverpool. We had a drenching rain Saturday night, but we also drain exceptionally well due to our topography. If you refused to make your bed after a dreamless winter's night, look at the heaps of blankets and sheets and pillows. You can then fairly compare that sight to the lay of the land in these parts.

Excitement over the rapid approach of Spring continues! On today's walk Daisy chased squirrels coming out of hibernation while I listened to robin's song. Several of the trees that flower in Spring are already sprouting buds. Dogwoods, Eastern Redbuds and Wild Cherries now have a hazy look about the boughs as this season's buds are a poppin'!

Sunday featured the second rehearsal for the Easter Pageant on the Hillside and the first rehearsal held outdoors. We fired up the sound system, readied the microphones and stood happy against the breeze as the actors climbed the Hillside. With all the rain the night before we feared that the slope may be too slick to afford safe footing. But the lawn was dry and the clay soil right beneath the grass was no real hazard.

On Saturday Mom made it up to Columbiana and the bulk door store run by our local Mennonite community. She loves to buy the bags of spices and tapioca and banana nut bread mixes. Clerks wearing neat lace bonnets man the deli counter slicing off cheddar cheese and baby Swiss to customers specifications. You can't get a good corned beef sandwich and a kosher pickle there. This deli is more Andy Williams rather than Mel Brookes. I hanker for the great delis of the lower east side of Manhattan where pastrami is hand cut and piled a foot high between two slices of fresh rye and a schmear of mustard. Ask for mayonnaise without shame in Columbiana.

Sorry I haven't been around as much as I'd like. I'm sniffing out good stories to tell.

We always miss you when you don't come around Nosmo but fully understand how real life gets in the way sometimes. :)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and rejoice when they return.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?
success-quote3.jpg

Another bright, sunny day here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area! We get 60 of them per year so I hope we aren't breaking our quota while it's still February. March, of course, comes in Thursday. Whether is comes in like a lion or a lamb is still to be determined. The forecast calls for rain, but not storms. A 'wintery mix' is what the weather guessers are saying for Friday, so the nature of the March animal remains a mystery.

I threw caution to the wind anyway and ran the car through the car wash this afternoon. It needed it as there was as much salt clinging to it as clings to a pretzel. I have to take it out to the oil change place and have the fellas check all the fluids. There was a time in automotive engineering when a guy with rudimentary skills could do a tune-up, changing the plugs and points and distributor cap. Some shade tree mechanics could do a ring job and adjust the timing if they had the tools. Today washing and waxing is about all we with limited abilities can do.

I saw a 'Thank You' from our ol' buddy SFC Ollie! Don't be a stranger!

And in the indomitable spirit of the good Sergeant, I will now make my annual appeal to any and all readers to buy a new American flag from the American Legion Flag & Emblem website. It's a safe bet that everyone here flies an American flag outside their homes. In my opinion, a faded, tattered flag shows disrespect for our star spangled banner and, in a larger sense, our nation. Take that Weather beaten flag to your local American Legion post and they will respectfully and honorably dispose of it for you. Then hoist a bright, vibrant flag in its place.

The flags offered at the American Legion site are made here in America! Don't fly a Chinese made American flag. The flags at that site are available in many sizes and materials, all fit to any budget. Not to mention, they are a great value! Proceeds from flag sales at the American Legion Flag & Emblem site also go to fund some of the marvelous work the Legion does here in your home town. Youth baseball, honor guards for fallen veterans and many other activities can be helped by your purchase. Isn't it nice to think that you can not only get a magnificent flag, but benefit those who benefit us as well?

Here's the link:

American Legion Flag & Emblem

Thanks!

I am becoming very upset with my coding class. I don't feel the teacher does a good job in responding to my questions. When I take an exam, I see the questions I get incorrect after I submit the exam, but once I exit from that page, I don't know of any way to go back and look at the results again. I don't want to save the pages, as that seems like it could be considered cheating, so when I submit an exam, I look through my wrong answers and send an email with any questions I have. The teacher seems to find that annoying, because she hasn't gone through to grade the exams at that point. I've also had a number of exam questions left unanswered.
Today I did an extra credit quiz. We weren't given any particular instructions about it, and when I did it, it turned out to be asking for codes which require a 7th character. However, the information we were given in the quiz did not tell us what we needed to know for the 7th character. As far as I can determine, there is no default code when it comes to these 7th characters (which are for initial encounter, subsequent encounter, or sequela). Once you start a test, however, it tends to limit what you are able to do with the site, which includes all of your classes, so I didn't feel as if I could just stop the exam. I wrote an email to the teacher, but went ahead and put in my answers without going to the 7th character. I explained in the email the problem, but still, when I completed the quiz, my score was a 0. I am almost certain that is because I did not go to the 7th characters that are required......but so far as I can tell, the only way I could have done that is to make an assumption about the encounter, which we are often told not to do.

I feel as if I was completely reasonable in the way I went about taking the quiz, providing an explanation email before I completed it. I am not at all confident it will matter, however. I am afraid I will get an answer along the lines of "The codes require a 7th character, so you should have put one," without an explanation about how I do that without knowing what type of encounter it is.

Put more quickly: I am very unimpressed with this class and the way it is put together. I am worried that is going to lead to me doing poorly.

Forum List

Back