USMB Coffee Shop IV

Took a (relatively) short road trip yesterday, up to Abiquiu reservoir, Rte 96 over the mountains to Cuba then back down to ABQ. Pretty scenery and no we didn't stop at Georgia O'Keeffe's home and museum, that'll be another trip........

Was lazy making dinner these afternoon, took a recipe for spinach and feta stuffed chicken, cooked the chicken, removed it from the pan, added more bacon grease , added two cloves of crushed garlic, fresh baby spinach and feta then served it over the cooked chicken. The wife loves spinach and feta but I'm not a big fan of either but it was surprisingly good. :thup:

We have a new puppy. I didn't want it, but I didn't want the last one, either. Or the one before that, really; I had been expecting a different dog for that one.

The little one says she is going to start taking care of the animals, and I think my employer is behind that in large part. However, I'm still the one who is here during the daytime school/work hours, and I don't know how well the little one will do with it. That's especially true with a puppy.

We do at least have a new gated enclosure. That should limit the area for the puppy to mess up when he isn't being directly watched. I really don't want to spend the next few months cleaning up dog piss and crap every day, like I had to do with the first dog.

It's a cute little boxer puppy. I hope it ends up more like our current dog, who was pretty good about going outside as a puppy.

Was lazy making dinner these afternoon, took a recipe for spinach and feta stuffed chicken, cooked the chicken, removed it from the pan, added more bacon grease , added two cloves of crushed garlic, fresh baby spinach and feta then served it over the cooked chicken. The wife loves spinach and feta but I'm not a big fan of either but it was surprisingly good. :thup:

Our TV went out this weekend and when one Samsung certified repair service advised they would come take a look at it, but since it was 4 years old, the odds were good they wouldn't be able to and it would be a $50/service fee to check it out. So we checked at Baillos where we bought it and they advised that there was about 1 in 10 chance it was something repairable that would be worthwhile fixing but usually if it was repairable, it would cost more than it was worth. The TV is 4 years old!!!

But. . .we decided to replace it. Baillos made us a really good deal on one slightly larger than we have and we bought another 2 year service contract--renewable for two more years when this one runs out. And so we've been told if one of these new large flat screens lives to be 4 or 5 years old it will likely work for 10 years or more. Will be installed Tuesday, the earliest they had an open date. (The service contracts have more than paid for themselves.)

So it has been an adventure not having TV. We're doing all sorts of stuff we usually wouldn't do.

Our TV went out this weekend and when one Samsung certified repair service advised they would come take a look at it, but since it was 4 years old, the odds were good they wouldn't be able to and it would be a $50/service fee to check it out. So we checked at Baillos where we bought it and they advised that there was about 1 in 10 chance it was something repairable that would be worthwhile fixing but usually if it was repairable, it would cost more than it was worth. The TV is 4 years old!!!

But. . .we decided to replace it. Baillos made us a really good deal on one slightly larger than we have and we bought another 2 year service contract--renewable for two more years when this one runs out. And so we've been told if one of these new large flat screens lives to be 4 or 5 years old it will likely work for 10 years or more. Will be installed Tuesday, the earliest they had an open date. (The service contracts have more than paid for themselves.)

So it has been an adventure not having TV. We're doing all sorts of stuff we usually wouldn't do.
What's TV? :dunno:

:D

The links don't work for an on line poll that I never participate in because so many infect with malware. But I thought the choices interesting as this has been a point of discussion in our family for many years.

29598120_2027171450690220_3440227412330172585_n.jpg

By the way, both Hombre and I are a #4.
I'm #5, nice and crispy but not yet charcoal.

You would love Hombre's bacon cooking then. :)
I have you to thank for the secret of cooking my bacon just right, crispy, but not burnt. You were the one who suggested cooking the bacon slowly. It has been a winner for me! Thanks!

I visited an elderly friend of mine this afternoon. She and her husband are both doing poorly and had to recently change their health care providers. She's getting frustrated because the docs seem unable to determine why she's always exhausted and what's causing her pain. She asked me if I would mind if she willed her goats to me. While absorbing another 12-14 goats would be difficult for me right now, I told her it would be fine. She said she'd feel better knowing the animals would be cared for the way she would care for them.
On a more positive note...I wanted to establish a small flock of laying hens this summer, just 3-5 birds would be more than enough for my partner and me. But the already built coops are expensive. So I decided I could probably manage to build something acceptable. I'd like to have heritage breed chickens (my choice are Chanticleers). Raising day-old chicks is time and energy intensive and I figured that if I found some local pullets or hens, I could "cut my teeth" with established animals. Well, yesterday I found a super deal on Craigslist. A woman is selling her flock of 5 laying hens, coop, equipment, food and all, for an excellent price. I went by and it all looked really nice. She's selling the chickens because she's selling her house and won't have any way to care for them until she gets established somewhere else. Now I have to arrange the logistics of moving everything to my place. Looks like karma has spoken...

Now I have to arrange the logistics of moving everything to my place. Looks like karma has spoken...

Good things happen to good folks... :happy-1:
I am Sooooo looking forward to enjoying fresh-picked hen fruit and free range chicken pot pie! Anyone who has not enjoyed fresh, home-raised, free-range chicken and eggs has not known nirvana.

Used to get the best eggs from our chickens who were getting plenty of bugs, clover, alfalfa, mashed corn and plenty of oyster shells (Calcium)... Give me that deep orange yolk color any day of the week...

The links don't work for an on line poll that I never participate in because so many infect with malware. But I thought the choices interesting as this has been a point of discussion in our family for many years.

29598120_2027171450690220_3440227412330172585_n.jpg

By the way, both Hombre and I are a #4.
I'm #5, nice and crispy but not yet charcoal.

You would love Hombre's bacon cooking then. :)
I have you to thank for the secret of cooking my bacon just right, crispy, but not burnt. You were the one who suggested cooking the bacon slowly. It has been a winner for me! Thanks!

We usually do the bacon in the microwave these days, but sometimes pan frying does give it a little extra something and I don't want burnt spots and raw spots, so turning down the heat and taking it slower prevents both. :)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and we await their return.

following gallantwarrior's farm adventures and Montrovant's new puppy adventure reminded me that April 10 is National Farm Animal's Day. (A boxer qualifies as a farm animal. :) ) So for all who have lived on farm, who live on a farm, who want to live on a farm, who have ever wanted to live on a farm, or think it might be interesting:

chickenngoat.jpg

funny-boxer-dog.jpg

Last edited:
Used to get the best eggs from our chickens who were getting plenty of bugs, clover, alfalfa, mashed corn and plenty of oyster shells (Calcium)... Give me that deep orange yolk color any day of the week...

It does make a difference. Just like there is nothing quite as good as a fresh caught fish, cleaned immediately, and into the pan without even icing it down, much less freezing it.

I visited an elderly friend of mine this afternoon. She and her husband are both doing poorly and had to recently change their health care providers. She's getting frustrated because the docs seem unable to determine why she's always exhausted and what's causing her pain. She asked me if I would mind if she willed her goats to me. While absorbing another 12-14 goats would be difficult for me right now, I told her it would be fine. She said she'd feel better knowing the animals would be cared for the way she would care for them.
On a more positive note...I wanted to establish a small flock of laying hens this summer, just 3-5 birds would be more than enough for my partner and me. But the already built coops are expensive. So I decided I could probably manage to build something acceptable. I'd like to have heritage breed chickens (my choice are Chanticleers). Raising day-old chicks is time and energy intensive and I figured that if I found some local pullets or hens, I could "cut my teeth" with established animals. Well, yesterday I found a super deal on Craigslist. A woman is selling her flock of 5 laying hens, coop, equipment, food and all, for an excellent price. I went by and it all looked really nice. She's selling the chickens because she's selling her house and won't have any way to care for them until she gets established somewhere else. Now I have to arrange the logistics of moving everything to my place. Looks like karma has spoken...
The wife just applied for a job in Anchorage.......... Not really all that sure I want to do that........

The wife just applied for a job in Anchorage.......... Not really all that sure I want to do that........

I kind of like having you for a neighbor. But I'm sure gallantwarrior would make a great neighbor too. But some of the better jobs are available in places you never thought you wanted to live.

When our son was evicted from his job in a corporate takeover, he applied to all the usual places with results all zilch. And then a head hunter located an engineering post in a tiny one horse Texas town with few amenities and where the most excitement they ever have is the occasional tornado, destructive hail storm, wild fire, or explosion at the plant where he would work. But I presume because nobody wanted to live there, they offered him a salary and benefits he couldn't refuse, bought his house on the Gulf coast, and paid all the moving and relocation expenses for himself and his family.

We (and they) were of course a bit apprehensive, but that was 18 years ago, they love it there, and expect to retire and live out the rest of their lives there. You never know.

Then again somebody who is enjoying high desert and lots of sunshine would find Alaska very different.

Oh, now I remember how much I hated the whining of a puppy. I'm really hating having this puppy here. Both our cat and dog are uncomfortable around, maybe even afraid of, this little puppy, so he's not getting companionship from them. I don't want to spend my days sitting with the puppy, but I also don't want him in my room, because he might chew through some of the many different wires I have in here. When I put him in his enclosure, though, it's constant whining and howling.

He's also shit on the carpet twice today.

:mad:

Last edited:

I kind of like having you for a neighbor. But I'm sure gallantwarrior would make a great neighbor too. But some of the better jobs are available in places you never thought you wanted to live.

When our son was evicted from his job in a corporate takeover, he applied to all the usual places with results all zilch. And then a head hunter located an engineering post in a tiny one horse Texas town with few amenities and where the most excitement they ever have is the occasional tornado, destructive hail storm, wild fire, or explosion at the plant where he would work. But I presume because nobody wanted to live there, they offered him a salary and benefits he couldn't refuse, bought his house on the Gulf coast, and paid all the moving and relocation expenses for himself and his family.

We (and they) were of course a bit apprehensive, but that was 18 years ago, they love it there, and expect to retire and live out the rest of their lives there. You never know.

Then again somebody who is enjoying high desert and lots of sunshine would find Alaska very different.
We were fairly positive we wouldn't like the desert and our first impression reinforced that however over time the desert grew on us and my wife fell in love with the wide open spaces, something I was really kind of surprised by given she was born and raised in northern Virginia.

a0f69130b73b857a2c545b18db30e562.jpg

Forum List

Back