USMB Coffee Shop IV

I visited an elderly friend of mine this afternoon. She and her husband are both doing poorly and had to recently change their health care providers. She's getting frustrated because the docs seem unable to determine why she's always exhausted and what's causing her pain. She asked me if I would mind if she willed her goats to me. While absorbing another 12-14 goats would be difficult for me right now, I told her it would be fine. She said she'd feel better knowing the animals would be cared for the way she would care for them.
On a more positive note...I wanted to establish a small flock of laying hens this summer, just 3-5 birds would be more than enough for my partner and me. But the already built coops are expensive. So I decided I could probably manage to build something acceptable. I'd like to have heritage breed chickens (my choice are Chanticleers). Raising day-old chicks is time and energy intensive and I figured that if I found some local pullets or hens, I could "cut my teeth" with established animals. Well, yesterday I found a super deal on Craigslist. A woman is selling her flock of 5 laying hens, coop, equipment, food and all, for an excellent price. I went by and it all looked really nice. She's selling the chickens because she's selling her house and won't have any way to care for them until she gets established somewhere else. Now I have to arrange the logistics of moving everything to my place. Looks like karma has spoken...
The wife just applied for a job in Anchorage.......... Not really all that sure I want to do that........

What kind of job?

I visited an elderly friend of mine this afternoon. She and her husband are both doing poorly and had to recently change their health care providers. She's getting frustrated because the docs seem unable to determine why she's always exhausted and what's causing her pain. She asked me if I would mind if she willed her goats to me. While absorbing another 12-14 goats would be difficult for me right now, I told her it would be fine. She said she'd feel better knowing the animals would be cared for the way she would care for them.
On a more positive note...I wanted to establish a small flock of laying hens this summer, just 3-5 birds would be more than enough for my partner and me. But the already built coops are expensive. So I decided I could probably manage to build something acceptable. I'd like to have heritage breed chickens (my choice are Chanticleers). Raising day-old chicks is time and energy intensive and I figured that if I found some local pullets or hens, I could "cut my teeth" with established animals. Well, yesterday I found a super deal on Craigslist. A woman is selling her flock of 5 laying hens, coop, equipment, food and all, for an excellent price. I went by and it all looked really nice. She's selling the chickens because she's selling her house and won't have any way to care for them until she gets established somewhere else. Now I have to arrange the logistics of moving everything to my place. Looks like karma has spoken...
The wife just applied for a job in Anchorage.......... Not really all that sure I want to do that........

What kind of job?
Not sure but it's in the medical support field.

What kind of job?
Not sure but it's in the medical support field.

I'm looking out of state too.

I kind of like having you for a neighbor. But I'm sure gallantwarrior would make a great neighbor too. But some of the better jobs are available in places you never thought you wanted to live.

When our son was evicted from his job in a corporate takeover, he applied to all the usual places with results all zilch. And then a head hunter located an engineering post in a tiny one horse Texas town with few amenities and where the most excitement they ever have is the occasional tornado, destructive hail storm, wild fire, or explosion at the plant where he would work. But I presume because nobody wanted to live there, they offered him a salary and benefits he couldn't refuse, bought his house on the Gulf coast, and paid all the moving and relocation expenses for himself and his family.

We (and they) were of course a bit apprehensive, but that was 18 years ago, they love it there, and expect to retire and live out the rest of their lives there. You never know.

Then again somebody who is enjoying high desert and lots of sunshine would find Alaska very different.
We were fairly positive we wouldn't like the desert and our first impression reinforced that however over time the desert grew on us and my wife fell in love with the wide open spaces, something I was really kind of surprised by given she was born and raised in northern Virginia.

a0f69130b73b857a2c545b18db30e562.jpg

Our daughter grew up on the Kansas prairie but doesn't really want to go back to that. She lived in northern Virginia for a number of years but that area never felt like home to her either. Oddly enough she fell in love with the California coast and prefers that to any place else.

We didn't expect to like the high desert so well either, but it does kind of get in your blood after awhile.

But again it is good that 'home' isn't the same place for all of us or it would really get crowded.

Oh, now I remember how much I hated the whining of a puppy. I'm really hating having this puppy here. Both our cat and dog are uncomfortable around, maybe even afraid of, this little puppy, so he's not getting companionship from them. I don't want to spend my days sitting with the puppy, but I also don't want him in my room, because he might chew through some of the many different wires I have in here. When I put him in his enclosure, though, it's constant whining and howling.

He's also shit on the carpet twice today.

:mad:

Being a boxer, he does need to be socialized with people and with other dogs and the cat though or he will be unacceptably aggressive. Give them time and they will accept him. I can appreciate the puppy travail though. When our son's family was in transition, we inherited their golden retriever puppy and pomeranian puppy for most of two months while we were also dealing with our own young puppy. So I was in the position of having to mannerize (is that a word?) and housebreak three of them simultaneously. And it is a challenge.

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and we await their return.

following gallantwarrior's farm adventures and Montrovant's new puppy adventure reminded me that April 10 is National Farm Animal's Day. (A boxer qualifies as a farm animal. :) ) So for all who have lived on farm, who live on a farm, who want to live on a farm, who have ever wanted to live on a farm, or think it might be interesting:

chickenngoat.jpg

funny-boxer-dog.jpg
Goats and chickens...looks like Nirvana to me! Thank you for your thoughts and best hopes, Foxy.

Used to get the best eggs from our chickens who were getting plenty of bugs, clover, alfalfa, mashed corn and plenty of oyster shells (Calcium)... Give me that deep orange yolk color any day of the week...

It does make a difference. Just like there is nothing quite as good as a fresh caught fish, cleaned immediately, and into the pan without even icing it down, much less freezing it.
That's a fact! My dad never liked fish...until he visited me here. He caught a beautiful salmon that we immediately "processed" and grilled. Dad asked for seconds! Fresh fish, and fresh eggs, are nothing like store-bought!

You either love or hate (leave it). Personally, I prefer being in the toolies. Anchorage is often referred to as "Seattle North" by those in the know. Just be aware, it's a small town, regardless of its standing by Alaskan standards. Of course, you'd have a king's welcome from me.

Oh, now I remember how much I hated the whining of a puppy. I'm really hating having this puppy here. Both our cat and dog are uncomfortable around, maybe even afraid of, this little puppy, so he's not getting companionship from them. I don't want to spend my days sitting with the puppy, but I also don't want him in my room, because he might chew through some of the many different wires I have in here. When I put him in his enclosure, though, it's constant whining and howling.

Note: unless said puppy has an outside job (like my most recent puppy), adopt an adult, or sub-adult dog. Puppies are cute but they are also a lot of work. Cute just doesn't make up for cleaning shit and listening to the whining in my book.

I kind of like having you for a neighbor. But I'm sure gallantwarrior would make a great neighbor too. But some of the better jobs are available in places you never thought you wanted to live.

When our son was evicted from his job in a corporate takeover, he applied to all the usual places with results all zilch. And then a head hunter located an engineering post in a tiny one horse Texas town with few amenities and where the most excitement they ever have is the occasional tornado, destructive hail storm, wild fire, or explosion at the plant where he would work. But I presume because nobody wanted to live there, they offered him a salary and benefits he couldn't refuse, bought his house on the Gulf coast, and paid all the moving and relocation expenses for himself and his family.

We (and they) were of course a bit apprehensive, but that was 18 years ago, they love it there, and expect to retire and live out the rest of their lives there. You never know.

Then again somebody who is enjoying high desert and lots of sunshine would find Alaska very different.
We were fairly positive we wouldn't like the desert and our first impression reinforced that however over time the desert grew on us and my wife fell in love with the wide open spaces, something I was really kind of surprised by given she was born and raised in northern Virginia.

a0f69130b73b857a2c545b18db30e562.jpg

Our daughter grew up on the Kansas prairie but doesn't really want to go back to that. She lived in northern Virginia for a number of years but that area never felt like home to her either. Oddly enough she fell in love with the California coast and prefers that to any place else.

We didn't expect to like the high desert so well either, but it does kind of get in your blood after awhile.

But again it is good that 'home' isn't the same place for all of us or it would really get crowded.
If I were forced to move from Alaska, NM would be one of my top choices. I loved the Lake Roberts, Continental Divide area.

Being a boxer, he does need to be socialized with people and with other dogs and the cat though or he will be unacceptably aggressive. Give them time and they will accept him. I can appreciate the puppy travail though. When our son's family was in transition, we inherited their golden retriever puppy and pomeranian puppy for most of two months while we were also dealing with our own young puppy. So I was in the position of having to mannerize (is that a word?) and housebreak three of them simultaneously. And it is a challenge.
I believe "socialize" is the current word. Housebreak works, too. My Pyrenees don't need housebreaking, but they have to be kenneled or otherwise physically separated from their charges for the first few years. Being puppies, they like to chew and the best available chewies are goats. As soon as I can, I'll be putting this puppy in with some large wethers who will not tolerate being puppy-ized.

I believe "socialize" is the current word. Housebreak works, too. My Pyrenees don't need housebreaking, but they have to be kenneled or otherwise physically separated from their charges for the first few years. Being puppies, they like to chew and the best available chewies are goats. As soon as I can, I'll be putting this puppy in with some large wethers who will not tolerate being puppy-ized.

By socializing I mean being comfortable and friendly and not over protective/possessive around other critters and an isolated dog is very often not welcoming of other critters. You don't want your dog to threaten every critter he meets when you live in the city. Country dogs are a bit different because they are more work animals and/or guard dogs.

By socializing I mean being comfortable and friendly and not over protective/possessive around other critters and an isolated dog is very often not welcoming of other critters. You don't want your dog to threaten every critter he meets when you live in the city. Country dogs are a bit different because they are more work animals and/or guard dogs.
Agreed! Lots of people don't understand how obnoxious a dog can be if not properly socialized. I hate dogs that jump up and lick. I'll pet and pamper animals that remain calm without being "enthusiastic". I got a gem with this current rescue, a rat terrier-chihuahua mix. She's so calm and quiet, a perfect fit for me as a house companion.

Note: unless said puppy has an outside job (like my most recent puppy), adopt an adult, or sub-adult dog. Puppies are cute but they are also a lot of work. Cute just doesn't make up for cleaning shit and listening to the whining in my book.

If it had been my choice, this puppy never would have been here. :p

I believe that. And I bet when the time comes for you to go on to the next phase of your life, you'll probably be so attached to him you'll ask if he can go with you. :)

I believe that. And I bet when the time comes for you to go on to the next phase of your life, you'll probably be so attached to him you'll ask if he can go with you. :)

Nope. My employer has mentioned numerous times she'd like me to take the Chihuahua with me, and I want nothing to do with that. :lol: Taking care of an animal, especially if I'm going to have a normal out-of-the-house job, is nothing I want to deal with.

Nope. My employer has mentioned numerous times she'd like me to take the Chihuahua with me, and I want nothing to do with that. :lol: Taking care of an animal, especially if I'm going to have a normal out-of-the-house job, is nothing I want to deal with.

Well you know you a lot better than I know you. But now is now. And then is then.We'll see. :)

Well you know you a lot better than I know you. But now is now. And then is then.We'll see. :)

Lately I've even been looking forward to not having to deal with the cat. ;)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and we await their return.

12417779_10207657292524941_2077078435121346661_n.jpg

Oooh, Fox left the key under the mat! Don't mind if I do!

My grandmother had blood drawn yesterday and we are both hoping for good test results. On a more somber note, my anxiety and depression have become almost debilitating and my first SSI hearing is in May. Getting it goes against my very principles, but employment seems to be out of the question.

Any support I get whether it be on this forum or elsewhere, is appreciated.

Forum List

Back