USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oooh, Fox left the key under the mat! Don't mind if I do!

My grandmother had blood drawn yesterday and we are both hoping for good test results. On a more somber note, my anxiety and depression have become almost debilitating and my first SSI hearing is in May. Getting it goes against my very principles, but employment seems to be out of the question.

Any support I get whether it be on this forum or elsewhere, is appreciated.
Good luck with your appointment. I surely hope things go well for your grandmother. She is very fortunate to have you to take care of her.

I am now the proud caretaker of five hens. I installed their coop in a convenient location (until better digs can be thawed out). I left water and food in the coop for the night and tomorrow morning they will begin their life as "free-range" chickens. Their previous caretaker assured me they will seek their coop in the evening. I hope so, I am not up to chasing chickens.

My grandmother had blood drawn yesterday and we are both hoping for good test results. On a more somber note, my anxiety and depression have become almost debilitating and my first SSI hearing is in May. Getting it goes against my very principles, but employment seems to be out of the question.

Hey TK. Good to see you. And yes prayers and good vibes sent your way and to your grandmother. I hope you are getting good medical care?

I am now the proud caretaker of five hens. I installed their coop in a convenient location (until better digs can be thawed out). I left water and food in the coop for the night and tomorrow morning they will begin their life as "free-range" chickens. Their previous caretaker assured me they will seek their coop in the evening. I hope so, I am not up to chasing chickens.

And your dogs know they aren't edible lunchs?

How bout the local wildlife....

How bout the local wildlife....

That too. Free range chicken mortality around here can be pretty high with all the foxes, coyotes, and large birds of prey, and Alaska probably has more of those kinds of critters than New Mexico does. But there are still free range chickens.

Hey TK. Good to see you. And yes prayers and good vibes sent your way and to your grandmother. I hope you are getting good medical care?
Well, that's the thing, I can't afford good medical care. When I do get any medical care it puts me in hundreds of dollars in debt that I can't pay back. Very undesirable situation.

So far, my little house dog ignores them. The guardian dogs are down in the pen with the goats and the chickens haven't made it that far yet. Two of my cats have made the chickens' acquaintance. One acted like she didn't even see them, the other has been watching the birds but hasn't decided what he's to think of them. He went into the coop and one of the birds dropped off its perch onto the cat. Cat came out of the coop like he was scalded. Right now, the chickens are scratching for their feed around the hay rick, in the loose hay. I even got my first egg this morning!

Well, that's the thing, I can't afford good medical care. When I do get any medical care it puts me in hundreds of dollars in debt that I can't pay back. Very undesirable situation.

I've been lucky enough to avoid the need for medical care (although I probably should have seen a doctor years ago, I haven't had to deal with anything truly debilitating), but part of the reason for that is I don't feel I can afford the cost. Not having insurance can be a real pain, pun intended.

Time for spring cleaning! Getting my truck detailed tomorrow morning. Washed, waxed, complete interior cleaned. You gotta do that now and then. Keeps Mrs. BBD happy.
Spring cleaning, indeed! After a winter heating with wood, I have discovered that there will be a lot more to spring cleaning than I ever thought. I'm just going to start at the top and work down to the floors. I'd like to try to get the inside done before all the snow and ice has melted because that means I'll have to get to work outside. My partner is a pig who refuses to pick up after himself, so he's very much in the habit of just tossing trash and debris off in a convenient snow drift.

It snowed Monday. Fit snoed yesterday. And today the weather guessers say it will be in the low 70s tomorrow. One clump of daffodils has blossomed and I spied a few shoots of leaves from the tulips on the North Lawn this morning, so there I see hope the sweat shirts will get moved to the bottom dresser drawers and the t shirts will take their place.

Meanwhile my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates are playing lights out baseball gaining an 8-2 record in their first ten games. The national press ain't showing them any love as the Buccos are predicted to fold like a Chinese card table by Father's Day.

I'm planning a visit to the Happiest Place on Earth, otherwise known as New York City for the beginning of May. My shoes are too clean and my sinuses are bereft of the aroma of knishes frying by the seaside, so to remedy that sad situation, I'll pack up and drive the eight hours east on I-80 to the Empire State.

Daisy the Mutt will stay with my brother and sister-in-law and their dog Teddy while I get my Gotham fix. It will be interesting if she reacts to the treat dispensing dog camera I got my brother for Christmas. They can call Teddy by way of the camera on their cell phones, talk to him and remotely dispense a treat with the push of a button. Teddy knows the gizmo well and licks the oriface from which the treats are dispensed, sometimes even catching them in mid air. Daisy has never seen such a thing. Her treats are received after doing a trick like rolling over or 'sitting up pretty' or thrusting her front paws into the air after being warned to "Stick 'em up!" and then playing dead upon hearing the command "BANG!"

So she's in for an adventure with a new and different adventure robotic overlord.

It snowed Monday. Fit snoed yesterday. And today the weather guessers say it will be in the low 70s tomorrow. One clump of daffodils has blossomed and I spied a few shoots of leaves from the tulips on the North Lawn this morning, so there I see hope the sweat shirts will get moved to the bottom dresser drawers and the t shirts will take their place.

Meanwhile my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates are playing lights out baseball gaining an 8-2 record in their first ten games. The national press ain't showing them any love as the Buccos are predicted to fold like a Chinese card table by Father's Day.

I'm planning a visit to the Happiest Place on Earth, otherwise known as New York City for the beginning of May. My shoes are too clean and my sinuses are bereft of the aroma of knishes frying by the seaside, so to remedy that sad situation, I'll pack up and drive the eight hours east on I-80 to the Empire State.

Daisy the Mutt will stay with my brother and sister-in-law and their dog Teddy while I get my Gotham fix. It will be interesting if she reacts to the treat dispensing dog camera I got my brother for Christmas. They can call Teddy by way of the camera on their cell phones, talk to him and remotely dispense a treat with the push of a button. Teddy knows the gizmo well and licks the oriface from which the treats are dispensed, sometimes even catching them in mid air. Daisy has never seen such a thing. Her treats are received after doing a trick like rolling over or 'sitting up pretty' or thrusting her front paws into the air after being warned to "Stick 'em up!" and then playing dead upon hearing the command "BANG!"

So she's in for an adventure with a new and different adventure robotic overlord.
Perhaps old dog Daisy will learn a new trick? Treats have a way of encouraging ongoing educational experiences among the canine tribe.
Enjoy NYC. I love the night life but don't know whether my thoroughly bucolic rural self could deal with the close buildings and crowds any more.

Time for spring cleaning! Getting my truck detailed tomorrow morning. Washed, waxed, complete interior cleaned. You gotta do that now and then. Keeps Mrs. BBD happy.

Morning BBD. And you coming around now and then makes us happy. :)
Good morning, Foxy! How are things in your neck o' the woods?

Life is good though I am too in the midst of spring cleaning of a sort. After the last of our part time doggie's go home--Sally the Shi tzu is living with us this week while Aunt Betty is of to Austin--we'll probably have the carpets professionally cleaned and I may hire a cleaning service to do some heavy work though I really REALLY hate to spend the money after three big unexpected expenses this past 30 days. But things could be worse. We are having glorious early summer weather for awhile now--doors and windows are open and enjoying that a lot. We don't dare do any serious planting though until late this month or early May as we won't be out of hard freeze danger until then.

Morning BBD. And you coming around now and then makes us happy. :)
Good morning, Foxy! How are things in your neck o' the woods?

Life is good though I am too in the midst of spring cleaning of a sort. After the last of our part time doggie's go home--Sally the Shi tzu is living with us this week while Aunt Betty is of to Austin--we'll probably have the carpets professionally cleaned and I may hire a cleaning service to do some heavy work though I really REALLY hate to spend the money after three big unexpected expenses this past 30 days. But things could be worse. We are having glorious early summer weather for awhile now--doors and windows are open and enjoying that a lot. We don't dare do any serious planting though until late this month or early May as we won't be out of hard freeze danger until then.
Up here, it's warm enough during the day, but I've been lighting a fire just before bedtime. Planting anything will have to wait until the ice is out underground. Mother's Day is usually a good planning point, but I don't have a greenhouse up Here (yet), not to mention I have no prepared garden. The barn is priority #1 this year, so the garden has to wait until next year. Right now, I'm enjoying my chickens and the new goat kids. I put the hens' feed in the waste hay around the hay bales and the chickens seem most satisfied with scratching there. (It's all ice underneath yet.)

This is the new puppy.

30629824_1864409226910610_7044217080970739712_n.jpg

Forum List

Back