USMB Coffee Shop IV

Anyone have any ideas for cheap gifts for a soon-to-be 9 year old girl?

The little one's birthday is in about a month and a half. Her mother is getting her one big gift, so I want to get her a number of little ones. Big gifts can be great, but they do limit the number of presents that get opened.

At this point, I've already ordered her a set of hair coloring brushes, and I am considering some sort of crystal growing kit. I also am looking at an inexpensive, but still full-sized, skateboard. I saw something called a Buddha Board, which involves drawing with water (and the drawing fading as the water evaporates, allowing one to draw again), but I'm not sure that is worth it for the price.

I don't usually go out, so I don't do the sort of browsing in a store shopping that others are probably used to. I can browse through sites like amazon or ebay, but that's harder to do. :p So, I thought I'd see if anyone has any interesting, inexpensive gift ideas here. :)

TIA!
I think anything that gets them outside is a good idea.

Last Christmas I bought a seven year old girl a backyard explorer kit I found on Amazon. It has a pair of binoculars, a compass, a rechargeable flashlight and a magnifying glass. It is packaged in a zippered nylon case. Also check out those little helicopterish flying crystal balls. They are about the size of a tennis ball and flash like a disco light as they fly around.

A hopscotch set is available. Big chunks of sidewalk chalk and a pamphlet explaining the game are included in a little corduroy pouch. Maybe a couple of geodes to crack open and marvel at the crystals inside.

Good morning all. Cold overnight here--high winds yesterday and probably again today.

Re the pup:

If you take a pup at the normal age, once they are in their crate, assuming you do not leave them in there more than just during your sleep time, they usually will make it overnight without needing to pee--and they try hard not to foul their bed. But one so young. . .I don't know. It is important to take them out to pee just before you put them in the crate for overnight--and don't crate them until you're ready to sleep--and it is important to get up fairly early to take them out in the morning, but they can usually go 7 to 8 hours with no problem even when very young. But at 4 or 5 weeks, that may be asking way too much of a puppy.

I got up a couple of times when he started whining and took him out. At this point, he's going out very frequently...and still going in the house sometimes.

Just keep praising him profusely and loving on him when he does his business outdoors and, without physical punishment, show your displeasure when you catch him going indoors. IMO--I'm sure others will disagree--it does no good to scold him after the fact because they simply don't understand. You can show him the accident, however, and then immediately take him out. But frankly, I think four to five weeks is way too early to begin 'potty training'. We wouldn't expect that if his mother was present, but then of course she would be cleaning up his accidents. Even kittens, highly trainable in that regard, are unlikely to regularly use a litter box earlier than six weeks old.

Good morning all. Cold overnight here--high winds yesterday and probably again today.

Re the pup:

If you take a pup at the normal age, once they are in their crate, assuming you do not leave them in there more than just during your sleep time, they usually will make it overnight without needing to pee--and they try hard not to foul their bed. But one so young. . .I don't know. It is important to take them out to pee just before you put them in the crate for overnight--and don't crate them until you're ready to sleep--and it is important to get up fairly early to take them out in the morning, but they can usually go 7 to 8 hours with no problem even when very young. But at 4 or 5 weeks, that may be asking way too much of a puppy.

I got up a couple of times when he started whining and took him out. At this point, he's going out very frequently...and still going in the house sometimes.

Just keep praising him profusely and loving on him when he does his business outdoors and, without physical punishment, show your displeasure when you catch him going indoors. IMO--I'm sure others will disagree--it does no good to scold him after the fact because they simply don't understand. You can show him the accident, however, and then immediately take him out. But frankly, I think four to five weeks is way too early to begin 'potty training'. We wouldn't expect that if his mother was present, but then of course she would be cleaning up his accidents. Even kittens, highly trainable in that regard, are unlikely to regularly use a litter box earlier than six weeks old.

At this point I'm really just hoping that he takes to going outside quickly, as our current dog did as a puppy. I had such a horrible time with our first dog and I don't want to go through that again.

It hasn't been that bad yet, considering his age, but I didn't want a dog, didn't want to have to take care of a puppy yet again, so it's still quite annoying.

The little one's birthday is in about a month and a half. Her mother is getting her one big gift, so I want to get her a number of little ones. Big gifts can be great, but they do limit the number of presents that get opened.

At this point, I've already ordered her a set of hair coloring brushes, and I am considering some sort of crystal growing kit. I also am looking at an inexpensive, but still full-sized, skateboard. I saw something called a Buddha Board, which involves drawing with water (and the drawing fading as the water evaporates, allowing one to draw again), but I'm not sure that is worth it for the price.

I don't usually go out, so I don't do the sort of browsing in a store shopping that others are probably used to. I can browse through sites like amazon or ebay, but that's harder to do. :p So, I thought I'd see if anyone has any interesting, inexpensive gift ideas here. :)

TIA!
I think anything that gets them outside is a good idea.

Last Christmas I bought a seven year old girl a backyard explorer kit I found on Amazon. It has a pair of binoculars, a compass, a rechargeable flashlight and a magnifying glass. It is packaged in a zippered nylon case. Also check out those little helicopterish flying crystal balls. They are about the size of a tennis ball and flash like a disco light as they fly around.

A hopscotch set is available. Big chunks of sidewalk chalk and a pamphlet explaining the game are included in a little corduroy pouch. Maybe a couple of geodes to crack open and marvel at the crystals inside.

I actually just got back from dropping the little one off at her aunt's. They are going camping this weekend. A backyard explorer kit would have been great for this little trip.

TIA!
Uno cards and madlibs.

mission-control-room-apollo-13-nasa-photo-print-1.jpg

Follow our timeline of NASA’s failed Apollo 13 moon mission

TIA!

Most little girls like pretty or meaningful keychains. Adult--geometric designs and such--coloring books with a set of colored pencils is good for anybody who enjoys quiet time.

I'd say much younger. I guess that little guy is more along 3-4 weeks old, judging by the picture. How's he eating? Does he/she eat solid food or are you bottle feeding him/her?

He's 5 weeks from what I've been told. He is eating wet canned food without any issue. He's even eaten the chihuahua's hard food without problem when he sneaked over to it. :p
Mazel tov, Montrovant!

You know what you're in for in the next three or four months? Scratches up and down your wrists and forearms as those tiny milk teeth do a number on them, lots of jumping out of your seat to clean up accidents and rub puppy noses in it before tying him out, a series of vet visits as inoculations and neutering takes place, and vacuuming up the bits of toy stuffing as it accumulates like snow on the floor.

Oh! How I envy you! Spoil him rotten and teach him some tricks! They love it!

This is the third puppy I'm having to take part in raising, although at least this time I am mostly doing it when no one else is home. The first two I did mostly on my own, and it sucked. Particularly the first one, who took a good 6 months to stop using the house as his toilet.

I don't have to worry about vet visits, this isn't my dog. I just work/live here. :p

The puppy just ended up in my room a little bit ago as I was watching TV. He's been sleeping in my employer's bedroom; I thought on her bed, but I don't know how he would have gotten down from there, as it's 2-3 feet from the top of the mattress to the floor. Since everyone else is asleep, I took him outside to poop, cleaned up the pee he left on the living room carpet, and now I'm wondering if he'll actually go to sleep if I try to put him in the dog cage tonight. I do NOT want to be responsible for yet another puppy during the nights.
If you have an old wind up type of clock that ticks, put him in his crate with that ticking clock nearby. I think, to the puppy, it sounds like a heartbeat and it's calming.

Have fun!

My employer just mentioned this very thing yesterday. I don't have a wind up clock, but I do have a battery operated analog clock that ticks. I'll put it next to the cage when I put him in to see if it helps. The problem is that he's so young, he needs to go outside pretty frequently. I think I'll stay up until 2 or so, then it will only be 4 hours until I get up with the little one for school. He might sleep that long without needing to pee or poop.
Hey, you could do what his mother should be doing yet...let him cuddle up to you and you lick his butt when he goes! Uuummm, or maybe not. I've found kennel training an indoor dog makes him a better house pet. My crate-trained dogs have always used their crate to retire when they wished.

Re the pup:

Does he go potty when you respond to his whining and take him out? That's good. He'll learn to let you know when he has to go outside.

TIA!
Dang! Is she going to be 9 already? We've been sharing here a while.
My daughter always enjoyed those My Little Pony and the smaller Petshop toys. She collected them so you always have a fairly inexpensive fall back when you need a gift. Biggest challenge is to remember which ones she already has. I usually kept a list and most collections have a brochure or some such with all the possible critters pictured. Just check them off as she gets them. How's she feel about Barbies, or whatever they like nowadays. My daughter enjoyed making clothes for her Barbie.

TIA!
Uno cards and madlibs.
Oh, yeah! 9-year-olds can be brutal at Uno once they figure it out.

Re the pup:

Does he go potty when you respond to his whining and take him out? That's good. He'll learn to let you know when he has to go outside.

He's up and down about it. At times he has played outside for a while, then peed after coming back in. Largely, though, he'll go outside so long as he stays out for a while, 10-15 minutes generally will do it.

I'm not looking forward to having him to myself this weekend.

Re the pup:

He's up and down about it. At times he has played outside for a while, then peed after coming back in. Largely, though, he'll go outside so long as he stays out for a while, 10-15 minutes generally will do it.

Is there any place outside where the other dogs do their business? Take him there. He'll sniff around and I've found it helps encourage doing the same thing.

Sorry, I haven't posted lately.
I've been doing deep spring cleaning. That includes the rug, drapes and all the closets. :)

We had very heavy winds for the last two days.
It did some damage to the roof tiles, so next week we have the guys who put on the new roof 2 years ago coming to do repairs sometime next week. They will call me on Mon. for the exact day.
I also have the air and heat pump guy coming to clean and do general yearly maintenance on the unit.
Then the week after ,we have a landscaper company coming to give us a quote on getting an all rock yard.
Mr. P put his foot down on me doing the yardwork. :)
He said he couldn't go through like last year watching me suffer like I did with allergies and itching feet and ankles from the weeds.
So we are getting an all rock yard.
Quite a few of our neighbors are getting them.
They look really nice and no more weeds! Yeah!
It's the best solution when you live in middle of nowhere Ville. :biggrin:
For the next two weeks I will be very busy.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Re the pup:

Is there any place outside where the other dogs do their business? Take him there. He'll sniff around and I've found it helps encourage doing the same thing.

There's not really anywhere in particular the other dog goes. However, the other dog does tend to range further out than the puppy wants to go.

TIA!
Uno cards and madlibs.
Oh, yeah! 9-year-olds can be brutal at Uno once they figure it out.

So can 40 year olds :lol:

Hey guys. Just doing a very quick drive by then off to tv land.
Been in down mode for over a month and just lost all desire to hang out anywhere online although I miss so many here. I just can't bring myself to be debbie downer around y'all, so I stay away.
For those wondering...no. Nothing has changed here. Same shit, different day. I sleep a lot. Watch a bit of tv. Sit outside and listen to birds. Come back in, sleep some more. Blood pressure has been over 200 the past 2 weeks even though I do absolutely nothing to make it so high unless its just the depression doing it. Doc is scratching her head and I don't care one way or another.

See? Debbie Downer/Gloomy Gracie. Who needs to read that shit?

Usually I pull out of it after a day or two but this time..it just seems to be lingering. So...when it does lift...I will be back.

Hugs

Hey guys. Just doing a very quick drive by then off to tv land.
Been in down mode for over a month and just lost all desire to hang out anywhere online although I miss so many here. I just can't bring myself to be debbie downer around y'all, so I stay away.
For those wondering...no. Nothing has changed here. Same shit, different day. I sleep a lot. Watch a bit of tv. Sit outside and listen to birds. Come back in, sleep some more. Blood pressure has been over 200 the past 2 weeks even though I do absolutely nothing to make it so high unless its just the depression doing it. Doc is scratching her head and I don't care one way or another.

See? Debbie Downer/Gloomy Gracie. Who needs to read that shit?

Usually I pull out of it after a day or two but this time..it just seems to be lingering. So...when it does lift...I will be back.

Hugs

Sorry to hear this, Gracie. Hope you are hanging in there and hope you feel better soon. Maybe volunteering at an animal rescue place would help you? It seems to me that you need something to do to keep busy and make you feel useful.

Forum List

Back