USMB Coffee Shop IV

Finally decided to check out Smith's (grocery store), should have done it a while ago. They make Albertson's look like a mom and pop corner grocery store.........

Yes, 'our' Albertsons is a relatively small market which is why Hombre and I like it--find what we need and in and out fast. With his bad hip, walking long distances is sometimes painful for him. But we used to shop Smiths at Paseo and Wyoming quite often as they do have some stuff a smaller store doesn't carry--sometimes the Smiths at Academy and Wyomimg but don't like it as well. I love the Albertsons at Tramway and Academy too and have found some great bargains there.
It's the lack of many items we consume that Albertson's (and Wally World for that matter) doesn't carry that led me to check out Smiths. The thing is Albertson's is the most convenient, easier to get in and out of and typically less crowded, Smiths (Paseo and Wyoming) is kind of a pain to get into and out of and definitely more crowded.

Smiths at Academy and Wyoming is also a pain to get in and out of and generally more crowded, but being right next door to Wally World is convenient to pick up a couple of grocery items that Walmart doesn't have. Not that we shop Walmart all that much for groceries mostly because it just isn't as user friendly as Albertsons.

You would think a large super market wouldn't survive well right next door and literally attached to a Walmart Super Center, but both seem to thrive quite nicely.
I never even noticed there's a Smith's by Walmart........ :lol:

LOL. So we are a typical guy with total focus on a goal are we? Yep. Large Smith's super market nestled up against Walmart at Academy and Wyoming.

(There's also a Dion's Pizza (yum), Boston Market, a large Pets Mart store and other interesting businesses in that corner of that intersection.)
I've seen the pet store and the restaurants but yes, when I enter the parking lot I'm typically watching for other drivers....... I almost got t-boned once in that parking lot, the guy had to lock it up at around 30 mph and just missed nailing me by a couple of inches.

And this is for you......

2456.jpg

The second warm day in a row and it is beginning! BLAM! And the forsythia has come into bloom! KAPOW! And the magnolias sprout blossoms! BOOM! And the air is filled with the sweet scent of daffodils and tulips! Spring has sprung and the girls are already wearing flip flops and tank tops. Daisy the Mutt has found the long hibernating squirrels and chased as many as she could back up into the trees.

And now the weather guessers are saying it's back into the mid forties for the coming week with at least a 50% chance of rain every day.

And so the Lord give th and He taketh away. I heard the first lawn mower of the year chewing through the thick, dormant lawns today. I will get my mower blade sharpened up Tuesday, but I doubt it will get used any time soon.

One of my best friends, one of my buddies I play board games with on Friday nights, has a son who will be the lead in this year's high school musical premiering next Friday. Shrek, The Musical is the offering from the East Liverpool High School Thespians, of which I am a proud alumnae. Back in my day, we produced South Pacific, Kiss Me Kate and My Fair Lady. A long way from Shrek, The Musical. The Great White Way winds through the upper Ohio River valley with a marked contemporary spin these days.

Hey guys. Just doing a very quick drive by then off to tv land.
Been in down mode for over a month and just lost all desire to hang out anywhere online although I miss so many here. I just can't bring myself to be debbie downer around y'all, so I stay away.
For those wondering...no. Nothing has changed here. Same shit, different day. I sleep a lot. Watch a bit of tv. Sit outside and listen to birds. Come back in, sleep some more. Blood pressure has been over 200 the past 2 weeks even though I do absolutely nothing to make it so high unless its just the depression doing it. Doc is scratching her head and I don't care one way or another.

See? Debbie Downer/Gloomy Gracie. Who needs to read that shit?

Usually I pull out of it after a day or two but this time..it just seems to be lingering. So...when it does lift...I will be back.

Hugs
Hugs back, Gracie. I wish there was something I might do to help. Alas! I am so very far away. But you know you're always close in my heart and thoughts.

Finally decided to check out Smith's (grocery store), should have done it a while ago. They make Albertson's look like a mom and pop corner grocery store.........

Yes, 'our' Albertsons is a relatively small market which is why Hombre and I like it--find what we need and in and out fast. With his bad hip, walking long distances is sometimes painful for him. But we used to shop Smiths at Paseo and Wyoming quite often as they do have some stuff a smaller store doesn't carry--sometimes the Smiths at Academy and Wyomimg but don't like it as well. I love the Albertsons at Tramway and Academy too and have found some great bargains there.
It's the lack of many items we consume that Albertson's (and Wally World for that matter) doesn't carry that led me to check out Smiths. The thing is Albertson's is the most convenient, easier to get in and out of and typically less crowded, Smiths (Paseo and Wyoming) is kind of a pain to get into and out of and definitely more crowded.

I've never heard of Smith's. We had Albertson's in Tampa, but not here in Georgia. Kroger is the main grocery chain near me now.

Smiths and Kroger are probably owned by the same folks--we don't have Kroger's here, but Smiths carries a lot of Kroger products. Just like Albertsons and Safeway are owned by the same folks so our Albertsons carries a lot of Lucerne (Safeway) products.
We don't have Smith's or Albertson's here but we have Fred Meyer's carrying Kroger goods.

Saturday morning....Let the cartoon begin! :)

I loved Pinky and the Brain when it was on. I used to watch cartoons on Sat. mornings ,when I was working as the program coordinator for the child abuse program. Had to be up to date with what was popular for the kids school supplies. They loved warner brothers cartoons backpacks and notebooks.
Why is the writing backwards? :)

Last edited:

I loved Pinky and the Brain when it was on. I used to watch cartoons when I was working as the program coordinator for the child abuse program. Had to be up to date with what was popular for the kids school supplies. They loved warner brothers cartoons backpacks and notebooks.

I don't know why the writing was all backwards. I can only imagine it had to do with the program that someone used to copy it, mirror it, and keep it from being picked up from copyright scanners... No idea. :dunno:

All I know, is it was one of the more difficult episodes to locate, dig up, and post as it was topical for a political forum.

None of their full episodes are even on YouTube.

I loved Pinky and the Brain when it was on. I used to watch cartoons when I was working as the program coordinator for the child abuse program. Had to be up to date with what was popular for the kids school supplies. They loved warner brothers cartoons backpacks and notebooks.

I don't know why the writing was all backwards. I can only imagine it had to do with the program that someone used to copy it, mirror it, and keep it from being picked up from copyright scanners... No idea. :dunno:

All I know, is it was one of the more difficult episodes to locate, dig up, and post as it was topical for a political forum.

None of their full episodes are even on YouTube.

I know, you can get full episodes on other tv type links though.

We used to have Fred Meyers. Loved it.
In the Midwest, we have;

Frederik Meijer - Wikipedia
"Career
In 1962, he launched Meijer Thrifty Acres with his father and pioneered one-stop shopping.[1] He inherited the company after the death of his father in 1964.[1] In 1990, he handed over the company to his sons, Doug and Hank, although he remained the Chairman of the Board until his death.[1]

As of September 2011, he was worth US$5 billion.[1] He was the 60th richest person in the United States at the time of his death.[1][3]"

Wal-Mart copied/imitated the idea of the super store from the Meijer family. Wal-Mart didn't used to sell groceries in their stores till they saw the successful model of the Meijer family.

Meijer's family is still family run and not traded on Wall-street. They treat their employees and their customers far better. Unfortunately, because they value community, family, quality and other values like sourcing as much product as they can locally over growth, they grow very slowly, and the rest of the nation just sort of has to wait for them to get around to expanding into new areas b/c they don't go to the market for capital investors.

05-Frederik-Meijer-Garden-and-Sculpture-Park.jpg

Discover Meijer Gardens
Discover | Meijer Gardens

In the Midwest, we have;

"Career
In 1962, he launched Meijer Thrifty Acres with his father and pioneered one-stop shopping.[1] He inherited the company after the death of his father in 1964.[1] In 1990, he handed over the company to his sons, Doug and Hank, although he remained the Chairman of the Board until his death.[1]

As of September 2011, he was worth US$5 billion.[1] He was the 60th richest person in the United States at the time of his death.[1][3]"

Wal-Mart copied/imitated the idea of the super store from the Meijer family. Wal-Mart didn't used to sell groceries in their stores till they saw the successful model of the Meijer family.

Meijer's family is still family run and not traded on Wall-street. They treat their employees and their customers far better. Unfortunately, because they value community, family, quality and other values like sourcing as much product as they can locally over growth, they grow very slowly, and the rest of the nation just sort of has to wait for them to get around to expanding into new areas b/c they don't go to the market for capital investors.

Discover Meijer Gardens

The gardens are not that far away from where I am.

Geeze! We're awash in grocery stores here! I guess they sell groceries at Wal*Mart, but I have never cast a shadow on the floor of any of those stores for reasons I should not discuss in the Coffee Shop.

Meanwhile, we can shop at Giant Eagle (my personal favorite grocery), Aldi's, Sparkle Market, Stop and Shop, Shop and Save and some IGA markets. Also in Columbiana County there is a Marc's and a Save Mor.

In the Midwest, we have;

"Career

Discover Meijer Gardens

The gardens are not that far away from where I am.

Never been, always wanted to go. . . .

I don't get south of the Zilwaukee Bridge too often.

Forum List

Back