USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've been getting a lot of emails lately with promos for Father's Day.

This will be the first Father's Day without my dad. Each one of these is like a little stab to my heart.

Aw boe, sending you a virtual hug across the miles. Yes, all the traditional celebration days in the year following the loss of a loved one are poignant and difficult as are other triggers of memories that are reminders they are gone. But how blessed he was to have so much love from you and the family.

Thank you, FF! I really miss my dad, and yes, the "firsts" are incredibly painful.

As it says,like three people will get this, but I'm posting it anyway. :)

34441776_1844042298995927_1711023788570705920_n.jpg

I think just about everyone that frequents the CS is old enough to get it. ;)

Yeah probably. My trusty little 1995 Subaru has a tape deck in it instead of a CD player which are also becoming obsolete. And I still have some tapes to play in it. We aren't giving up our huge CD collection any time soon either just as I enjoy our movie collection of most of our favorite old movies.

I just switched out the stereo in my car a couple of weeks ago. It had had a stock stereo with a CD player, now it has one without a CD player but that I can use an MP3 player with. I had pulled all of my CDs out of the closet when I bought the car, now they are back in the closet again. :p

I am pretty sure I still have a couple of cassettes in the closet somewhere, but I haven't looked in forever. I know I still have some VHS cassettes in there, but I think the last working VCR I had got tossed years ago. :lol:

Yeah probably. My trusty little 1995 Subaru has a tape deck in it instead of a CD player which are also becoming obsolete. And I still have some tapes to play in it. We aren't giving up our huge CD collection any time soon either just as I enjoy our movie collection of most of our favorite old movies.

Hipster millennials are now buying vinyl. I figure the Gen-Zers will get into CDs.

This will be the first Father's Day without my dad. Each one of these is like a little stab to my heart.

Obviously any of us can go at any time, but my parents are getting to an age where it becomes more of a pointed fear, with both nearing 70. I have no idea what it will be like once one or both of them are gone.

Maybe you could do something for Father's Day to try to remember/celebrate your dad in a positive, happy way? That might help stave off the grief. :dunno:

Hipster millennials are now buying vinyl. I figure the Gen-Zers will get into CDs.

I can understand the draw of film over digital when it comes to movies and TV, but I've never understood people preferring records. :p

This inspired me to go look up what generation I fall under (Gen X). The Wiki description fits me halfway: "In the 1990s they were sometimes characterized as slackers, cynical and disaffected." Yep, sounds like me!

I seem to have missed the boat on the later changes, though: "In midlife, research describes them as active, happy, and achieving a work–life balance." Nope, that does not sound like me. :p

Generation X - Wikipedia

Obviously any of us can go at any time, but my parents are getting to an age where it becomes more of a pointed fear, with both nearing 70. I have no idea what it will be like once one or both of them are gone.

Maybe you could do something for Father's Day to try to remember/celebrate your dad in a positive, happy way? That might help stave off the grief. :dunno:

Yes, I'm going to do that with other family members. It's not a constant overwhelming grief - just comes in waves...

I can understand the draw of film over digital when it comes to movies and TV, but I've never understood people preferring records. :p

I have CDs - my first stereo had a CD player. So, that's when I'm used to. I can't stand streamed music - I'd rather pick my own selections.

I have CDs - my first stereo had a CD player. So, that's when I'm used to. I can't stand streamed music - I'd rather pick my own selections.

I ripped all of my CDs to MP3s. It's just a much easier format to use, and you get functionality you can't have with CDs, like shuffling through all of your MP3s. I first bought an MP3 player years ago to use at work: I was doing data entry for the post office, entering change of address information, and it was good to be able to play music while I worked. I very much liked the MP3 player, and I haven't looked back.

I rarely use streaming, because I don't like it when songs I don't enjoy come on. Sometimes I use Pandora when I play music through the living room TV while I clean, but that's about it. I don't listen to the radio, either, for the same basic reason...plus commercials.

People who prefer vinyl seem to prefer the sound quality. I'm not sure why that is, since to my ears it's usually simply lesser quality rather than a different type of sound. :dunno:

I ripped all of my CDs to MP3s. It's just a much easier format to use, and you get functionality you can't have with CDs, like shuffling through all of your MP3s. I first bought an MP3 player years ago to use at work: I was doing data entry for the post office, entering change of address information, and it was good to be able to play music while I worked. I very much liked the MP3 player, and I haven't looked back.

I rarely use streaming, because I don't like it when songs I don't enjoy come on. Sometimes I use Pandora when I play music through the living room TV while I clean, but that's about it. I don't listen to the radio, either, for the same basic reason...plus commercials.

People who prefer vinyl seem to prefer the sound quality. I'm not sure why that is, since to my ears it's usually simply lesser quality rather than a different type of sound. :dunno:

Vinyl has a very warm sound - which is lovely. I can understand the audiophile aspect. You can get really expensive CD players (they hold only one disc) which sound incredible. It's also important to have excellent speaker.

I've ripped a lot of my CDs into MP3s as well. I mostly listen to music while in transit or exercising, on ipod or iphone.

A follow up visit to the vet. Plus blood work.

The pills have run their course and the choalingalhepititis is gone. But Daisy's liver numbers, whatever they may be, are below normal. Then she endured a second bloodletting to be sent off to an off site lab to determine whether or not she has something called Cushing's Disease. It's why her hormones are out of whack and she's making less cortisol than she should. Cortisol helps dogs digest fats. Then those fats attach themselves on the liver.

The results might be here tomorrow or, more likely, Monday.

We have a record player too with great speakers. It isn't hooked up right now, but it does have a great sound playing those old favorite records.

Vinyl has a very warm sound - which is lovely. I can understand the audiophile aspect. You can get really expensive CD players (they hold only one disc) which sound incredible. It's also important to have excellent speaker.

I've ripped a lot of my CDs into MP3s as well. I mostly listen to music while in transit or exercising, on ipod or iphone.

I don't know how to rip MP3s or how to listen to them once ripped. :( But our old Bose radio that takes a single CD at a time sure sound sweet in our office.

Forum List

Back