USMB Coffee Shop IV

Now I want to one day scare a rabbit to death. :p

You don't mean that.

I think it would be funny to convince someone I'm terrifying because I can scare something so much it dies, when in reality the same could be accomplished by a random loud noise. :p

Really I picture myself creeping up behind a rabbit and yelling "Boo!" and having it dramatically grab its chest before falling. :lol:

The idea that a timid prey creature like a rabbit is in particular danger of going into a coronary whenever it gets scared seems silly. What kind of evolutionary or design function is that? Do rabbits drop like flies whenever there's a loud storm, or they are surprised by a predator? I don't think any of that is usually the case, just as yelling "Boo" wouldn't be likely to actually cause a heart attack in a rabbit.

It's the thought that an easily scared critter will keel over any time it gets scared that I find funny, but that's not really how it works. :)

Well humans have gone into cardiac arrest due to sudden or prolonged fear, so I suppose animals could also?

But rabbits aren't always the timid creatures that some might think. They will fight ferociously for their territory. And get a load of this one defending her little ones from a predator:

You can never be sure if a wild animal will choose fight or flight. :dunno:

Still, I think rabbits tend to run in most circumstances. :) And either way, they probably tend to get an adrenaline (or whatever hormones bunnies have for stimulation) dump fairly easily in order to deal with predators in one way or another.

Yes, rabbits are built for escape as their best defense. In Chris's Bunny's case though, he obviously sees her as his refuge. And I think all of us would not want that bunny harmed in any way.

I love my bunny like anyone would love their pet. I just want him to have a happy and healthy life. Domesticated bunnies are good pets and they are friendly, sweet, adorable, cuddly, affectionate, playful, and soft and fuzzy. :D My bunny loves being petted and cuddling. I will get down on the floor with him and put my head against his head and we will sit there like that for a few minutes. I think that is important for him to have bonding in case he gets lonely. Other bunnies will do that to each other. :)

There is something wrong with a person who wants to harm an innocent animal because they think it would be "fun" or "funny" or something. There is a deep lack of respect for another's life there, IMO. Why would anyone want to be intentionally mean or cruel to something that isn't very smart and can't even really defend itself anyways? Troubling.
First They Tortured Animals, Then They Turned to Humans

I've heard of that before. I don't think and hope that Montrovant tortures animals. I think he is trying to be funny and failed. :D It is not very nice to pick on an innocent pet bunny!

Meanwhile..I miss my dog. On the 20th, it will be a year since she passed. I was offered a yorkie..I think I told you guys..but declined. Then I was offered a yorkiepoo. 8 weeks old. I declined on that one too. No more pets for me.

Just got home from Roswell, long drive. Looked at three houses and the wife signed the position acceptance paper. Of course just after that she received a call about a position in Albuquerque......... *sigh*

Meanwhile..I miss my dog. On the 20th, it will be a year since she passed. I was offered a yorkie..I think I told you guys..but declined. Then I was offered a yorkiepoo. 8 weeks old. I declined on that one too. No more pets for me.

Sorry Gracie. :( That is one thing that holds me back from getting a dog too. I know how attached I would get to it and in most cases you are always going to outlive your pets.

I thought you had taken in a cat?

Sorry Gracie. :( That is one thing that holds me back from getting a dog too. I know how attached I would get to it and in most cases you are always going to outlive your pets.

I thought you had taken in a cat?
MrGracie. Its his cat. I am just the food giver. I am not attached to her, nor she me.

There is something wrong with a person who wants to harm an innocent animal because they think it would be "fun" or "funny" or something. There is a deep lack of respect for another's life there, IMO. Why would anyone want to be intentionally mean or cruel to something that isn't very smart and can't even really defend itself anyways? Troubling.
First They Tortured Animals, Then They Turned to Humans

I've heard of that before. I don't think and hope that Montrovant tortures animals. I think he is trying to be funny and failed. :D It is not very nice to pick on an innocent pet bunny!
Better disregard that, Chris... forget I posted that... it's too "controversial" for the CS.

I decided that taking him to a vet was better than a groomer because rabbits can actually have a heart attack if they get too frightened. They are aware of that at the vet and they would know when to stop and SHOULD be better at managing a rabbit, I would hope. I just don't want it to be too traumatic of an experience for him. He is a very sweet and gentle little bunny rabbit. :)

You don't mean that.

I think it would be funny to convince someone I'm terrifying because I can scare something so much it dies, when in reality the same could be accomplished by a random loud noise. :p

Really I picture myself creeping up behind a rabbit and yelling "Boo!" and having it dramatically grab its chest before falling. :lol:

The idea that a timid prey creature like a rabbit is in particular danger of going into a coronary whenever it gets scared seems silly. What kind of evolutionary or design function is that? Do rabbits drop like flies whenever there's a loud storm, or they are surprised by a predator? I don't think any of that is usually the case, just as yelling "Boo" wouldn't be likely to actually cause a heart attack in a rabbit.

It's the thought that an easily scared critter will keel over any time it gets scared that I find funny, but that's not really how it works. :)

Why would you doubt me? Do you think I would have a pet and not learn all I could about it? You could easily look up the information on your own if you feel doubtful.

Common Causes of Sudden Death in Healthy Rabbits

Ten Causes for Sudden Rabbit Death
The bunny was an indoor pet that could not handle outdoor temperatures.
Myiasis, or deadly fly-strike.
Injured during improper handling by children.
Fear-related heart attack.
Injured by another pet.
Aborted pregnancy
Poisoning
Swallowed a sharp object.
Bunny was older than you thought.
Pre-existing health condition.

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. Can a rabbit have a heart attack when it is scared? Yes. Is that a common occurrence? No. It says just that in your link. ;) When you mentioned a heart attack from fear being a danger, it sounded like startling a rabbit commonly causes them to drop dead of a heart attack.

Well, I can't sleep again so I got up at 5.30 am and decided to have a busy morning. I switched on the hot water tank for a bath, and the water should be hot enough by 8 am. Then I will go to an antiquarian book shop to see if I can find any rare books. after that I will pop into a coffee shop for a coffee and pasty. On the way back I will have a haircut, and I should be back before the 1pm news on telly.

I have been reading up on the history of English literature, for your information here is how to date old books that are dated in roman numerals.

M = 1000
D= 500
C= 100
L = 50
X = 10
V= 5

So a book from the 17the century will start with MDC and from the 18the century it will start with MDCC

It helps to know the period by which king or queen is on the throne, and the most relevant are:

King Henry the eighth 1509 to 1547
Queen Elisabeth the first 1558 to 1603
Queen Victoria 1837 to 1901

Caxton printed the first book in 1477 but I don't expect to run across anything that early.

Sorry it's such a huge picture, but it lost clarity when I attempted resize.

outside1.jpg

I decided that taking him to a vet was better than a groomer because rabbits can actually have a heart attack if they get too frightened. They are aware of that at the vet and they would know when to stop and SHOULD be better at managing a rabbit, I would hope. I just don't want it to be too traumatic of an experience for him. He is a very sweet and gentle little bunny rabbit. :)

You don't mean that.

Why would you doubt me? Do you think I would have a pet and not learn all I could about it? You could easily look up the information on your own if you feel doubtful.

Injured by another pet.
Aborted pregnancy
Poisoning

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. Can a rabbit have a heart attack when it is scared? Yes. Is that a common occurrence? No. It says just that in your link. ;) When you mentioned a heart attack from fear being a danger, it sounded like startling a rabbit commonly causes them to drop dead of a heart attack.

It says "Common Causes of Sudden Death in Healthy Rabbits." Not that they just have a heart attack because they get frightened but if you are chasing them around and screaming at them or if they feel extremely threatened and CANNOT run away (like at the groomers or something!), then they CAN have a heart attack. Most domesticated rabbits are a pet and cannot just run away if they are being terrorized!

You made an extremely thoughtless comment is all.

You don't mean that.

Injured by another pet.
Aborted pregnancy
Poisoning

It says "Common Causes of Sudden Death in Healthy Rabbits." Not that they just have a heart attack because they get frightened but if you are chasing them around and screaming at them or if they feel extremely threatened and CANNOT run away (like at the groomers or something!), then they CAN have a heart attack. Most domesticated rabbits are a pet and cannot just run away if they are being terrorized!

You made an extremely thoughtless comment is all.

Yes, the title of the entire article says common causes. However, if you go and read the section about dying of fright, it says this:

"It is possible for a rabbit to die of fright. Loud sounds, such as cats, dogs, loud music, or screaming can lead to a heart attack and put a rabbit into shock, causing sudden death. It can day several days for the rabbit to die this way, and it does not happen often, but it is quite possible."

Going just by headlines is rarely a good idea. :)

I've been getting a lot of emails lately with promos for Father's Day.

This will be the first Father's Day without my dad. Each one of these is like a little stab to my heart.

I've been getting a lot of emails lately with promos for Father's Day.

This will be the first Father's Day without my dad. Each one of these is like a little stab to my heart.

Aw boe, sending you a virtual hug across the miles. Yes, all the traditional celebration days in the year following the loss of a loved one are poignant and difficult as are other triggers of memories that are reminders they are gone. But how blessed he was to have so much love from you and the family.

As it says,like three people will get this, but I'm posting it anyway. :)

34441776_1844042298995927_1711023788570705920_n.jpg

I think just about everyone that frequents the CS is old enough to get it. ;)

Yeah probably. My trusty little 1995 Subaru has a tape deck in it instead of a CD player which are also becoming obsolete. And I still have some tapes to play in it. We aren't giving up our huge CD collection any time soon either just as I enjoy our movie collection of most of our favorite old movies.

Forum List

Back