USMB Coffee Shop IV

Speaking of cats, did anybody watch the first segment of this season's "America's Got Talent" last week? One of the auditioning acts was a mother and daughter who train cats. These cats actually performed. . .walking on hind legs on cue, jumping through hoops, rolling balls on cue and such. I had not thought such would be possible with such naturally independent critters. Pretty amazing.

Oh here, I found a You Tube clip of it:

Speaking of cats, did anybody watch the first segment of this season's "America's Got Talent" last week? One of the auditioning acts was a mother and daughter who train cats. These cats actually performed. . .walking on hind legs on cue, jumping through hoops, rolling balls on cue and such. I had not thought such would be possible with such naturally independent critters. Pretty amazing.

Oh here, I found a You Tube clip of it:

That is so funny and cute! Even the cranky old Brit was impressed. :D Lol!

I have another funny bunny story. I took Bunny (that's his name - in case you didn't know - lol) to the park the other day to get some exercise and play in some grass. I have a patio and a little dirt/woodchip area and then woods but no grass around my house. He has never been to the park before, and I thought he might enjoy it and I only have to carry him through a path in the woods to get there. I would let him hop but he always goes off course. Anyways, we got there and I put him down in the grass and he seemed okay at first, and then I said something to him and stood next to him and he turned around and practically tried to climb up my leg. So I picked him up and he nuzzled right into my neck, as if to say, I've had enough and I'm scared, take me home! Lol. So we only spent about 5 minutes at the park.

That's very instructive to me. I had not thought of bunnies as seeing humans as 'family' or 'protectors' in the same way as a cat or dog would. They really do have personalities don't they.

A lot of people don't realize that bunnies like to play too! I bought my bunny a dog toy and he plays with it like that too. I should take a video of him one of these days and post it. It is SO cute. :)

I decided that taking him to a vet was better than a groomer because rabbits can actually have a heart attack if they get too frightened. They are aware of that at the vet and they would know when to stop and SHOULD be better at managing a rabbit, I would hope. I just don't want it to be too traumatic of an experience for him. He is a very sweet and gentle little bunny rabbit. :)

Now I want to one day scare a rabbit to death. :p

In Kansas, our Siamese tomcat made friends with Peanut Butter, the very large brown rabbit who had the run of the back yard next to ours. The two of them would be so close their shoulders would be touching if there wasn't a chain link fence between them. They would both crouch at the corner of the fence facing the other end of the yard. And then it was like somebody fired a starter pistol and they would simultaneously sprint to the far corner, turn around, reset, repeat. It was fun to watch.

I decided that taking him to a vet was better than a groomer because rabbits can actually have a heart attack if they get too frightened. They are aware of that at the vet and they would know when to stop and SHOULD be better at managing a rabbit, I would hope. I just don't want it to be too traumatic of an experience for him. He is a very sweet and gentle little bunny rabbit. :)

You don't mean that.

Why on earth would you want to do that?

You don't mean that.

Well he said it and was apparently thinking it. Some people are just not animal lovers. Those are the people I am most wary of. :D

There is something wrong with a person who wants to harm an innocent animal because they think it would be "fun" or "funny" or something. There is a deep lack of respect for another's life there, IMO. Why would anyone want to be intentionally mean or cruel to something that isn't very smart and can't even really defend itself anyways? Troubling.

You don't mean that.

I think it would be funny to convince someone I'm terrifying because I can scare something so much it dies, when in reality the same could be accomplished by a random loud noise. :p

Really I picture myself creeping up behind a rabbit and yelling "Boo!" and having it dramatically grab its chest before falling. :lol:

The idea that a timid prey creature like a rabbit is in particular danger of going into a coronary whenever it gets scared seems silly. What kind of evolutionary or design function is that? Do rabbits drop like flies whenever there's a loud storm, or they are surprised by a predator? I don't think any of that is usually the case, just as yelling "Boo" wouldn't be likely to actually cause a heart attack in a rabbit.

It's the thought that an easily scared critter will keel over any time it gets scared that I find funny, but that's not really how it works. :)

You don't mean that.

I think it would be funny to convince someone I'm terrifying because I can scare something so much it dies, when in reality the same could be accomplished by a random loud noise. :p

Really I picture myself creeping up behind a rabbit and yelling "Boo!" and having it dramatically grab its chest before falling. :lol:

The idea that a timid prey creature like a rabbit is in particular danger of going into a coronary whenever it gets scared seems silly. What kind of evolutionary or design function is that? Do rabbits drop like flies whenever there's a loud storm, or they are surprised by a predator? I don't think any of that is usually the case, just as yelling "Boo" wouldn't be likely to actually cause a heart attack in a rabbit.

It's the thought that an easily scared critter will keel over any time it gets scared that I find funny, but that's not really how it works. :)

Well humans have gone into cardiac arrest due to sudden or prolonged fear, so I suppose animals could also?

But rabbits aren't always the timid creatures that some might think. They will fight ferociously for their territory. And get a load of this one defending her little ones from a predator:

There is something wrong with a person who wants to harm an innocent animal because they think it would be "fun" or "funny" or something. There is a deep lack of respect for another's life there, IMO. Why would anyone want to be intentionally mean or cruel to something that isn't very smart and can't even really defend itself anyways? Troubling.
First They Tortured Animals, Then They Turned to Humans

Okay guys, this is the Coffee Shop. Let's keep the controversy out of it okay?

And hey 007, you haven't been here in awhile. All is well with you?

You don't mean that.

Well humans have gone into cardiac arrest due to sudden or prolonged fear, so I suppose animals could also?

But rabbits aren't always the timid creatures that some might think. They will fight ferociously for their territory. And get a load of this one defending her little ones from a predator:

You can never be sure if a wild animal will choose fight or flight. :dunno:

Still, I think rabbits tend to run in most circumstances. :) And either way, they probably tend to get an adrenaline (or whatever hormones bunnies have for stimulation) dump fairly easily in order to deal with predators in one way or another.

Sorry... didn't know that a little info was "controversy."

Sorry... didn't know that a little info was "controversy."

It isn't really but it runs the risk of moving us into a social aspect that can sometimes create controversy that is best kept outside of the Coffee Shop.

But again how are you doing? All is well in Wisconsin?

You don't mean that.

You can never be sure if a wild animal will choose fight or flight. :dunno:

Still, I think rabbits tend to run in most circumstances. :) And either way, they probably tend to get an adrenaline (or whatever hormones bunnies have for stimulation) dump fairly easily in order to deal with predators in one way or another.

Yes, rabbits are built for escape as their best defense. In Chris's Bunny's case though, he obviously sees her as his refuge. And I think all of us would not want that bunny harmed in any way.

You don't mean that.

Why would you doubt me? Do you think I would have a pet and not learn all I could about it? You could easily look up the information on your own if you feel doubtful.

Common Causes of Sudden Death in Healthy Rabbits

Ten Causes for Sudden Rabbit Death
The bunny was an indoor pet that could not handle outdoor temperatures.
Myiasis, or deadly fly-strike.
Injured during improper handling by children.
Fear-related heart attack.
Injured by another pet.
Aborted pregnancy
Poisoning
Swallowed a sharp object.
Bunny was older than you thought.
Pre-existing health condition.

Forum List

Back