USMB Coffee Shop IV

OLLIE
Hello all my old friends and other inhabitants of the Coffee Shop. Sure has been a while and so much has been going on. I still post regularly on FB and another spot. But find little time to find my way back here. It;s been 19 Months since I lost Mrs O. Seems like 19 years. Drove out to AZ twice, this last trip in April I kid of over did it and ended up getting 2 more stents, placed inside an old stent.... But I start cardiac rehab next Friday and I'm feeling pretty good. Still staying busy though. I am back as Commander of my American Legion Post, I am the Sergeant at Arms for my Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter. I am teaching a ceramics class twice a month at an assisted living home. And I am a member of the Circle of Trustees at the Butler Institute of American Art. That and an older Brother moved in with me....And he can barely walk yet insists he doesn't need or want help..... Good to see some of the old names.....
OLLIE!!!
So glad to see you here again. Sorry to know of your loss. Glad to know you are the trooper I always thought you were. I wish I were close enough to stand you a beer, or whatever poison you prefer.
What is the Butler Institute of American Art? I could 'google' it, but I'd rather know what you would say.
It seems almost hard to fathom, but I've been retired 24 years this year. It doesn't seem that long. How about you?

Hello all my old friends and other inhabitants of the Coffee Shop. Sure has been a while and so much has been going on. I still post regularly on FB and another spot. But find little time to find my way back here. It;s been 19 Months since I lost Mrs O. Seems like 19 years. Drove out to AZ twice, this last trip in April I kid of over did it and ended up getting 2 more stents, placed inside an old stent.... But I start cardiac rehab next Friday and I'm feeling pretty good. Still staying busy though. I am back as Commander of my American Legion Post, I am the Sergeant at Arms for my Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter. I am teaching a ceramics class twice a month at an assisted living home. And I am a member of the Circle of Trustees at the Butler Institute of American Art. That and an older Brother moved in with me....And he can barely walk yet insists he doesn't need or want help..... Good to see some of the old names.....

Good to hear from you Ollie! It's good you're keeping busy, just try not to be too busy. :)

OLLIE
OLLIE!!!
So glad to see you here again. Sorry to know of your loss. Glad to know you are the trooper I always thought you were. I wish I were close enough to stand you a beer, or whatever poison you prefer.
What is the Butler Institute of American Art? I could 'google' it, but I'd rather know what you would say.
It seems almost hard to fathom, but I've been retired 24 years this year. It doesn't seem that long. How about you?
The Butler is the only Major Art Museum in the world that is dedicated purely to American Art. (As far as I know)

Always do the happy dance when Ollie drops by. I didn't know about the brother moving in with you though. Was that your idea? I wish I could take your ceramics class.

SFC Ollie!!! Great to hear from you. I miss you. You’re one of the nicest people on the site. Except for being a Dallas fan, you’re a perfect member of the universe. Take care old friend. Hope all goes well with your cardiac rehab.

I had a smart electric meter installed today, and it tells me how much money I am spending. It cost me two pence to boil the kettle, and I am scared to find out how much it will cost me to heat up the water tank for a bath.

Bloody smart meter scared me, it turned its display off and I thought it had gone wrong. I had to go online for the information that it goes off at night, because it did not say that in the manual.

It's summer in America and that means vacation Bible school is underway in church basements all across the fruited plain. Of course the point of vacation Bible school is to 1) get the kids out of the house for a few hours each day for a week 2) teach those kids the Bible stories everybody cherishes and 3) be at a considerably less formal school than the one you just got sprung from for the summer.

I can recall hearing my favorite Bible stories as a wee bairn. Daniel in the lion's den, Noah and the Ark and, David and Goliath were my top three Biblical hits.

But as I cruise around East Liverpool and its environs I have been noticing a more highly polished, highly marketed form of vacation Bible school. A curriculum bought and sold to make the maximum effect on today's young imaginations. Professionally prepared banners and signs are in front of many local churches. It seems today's churches are no longer willing to let Bible school be taught by a handful of concerned, active church mothers.

I don't know. I think Mrs. Futhey and Mrs. Wright did an admirable job corralling two dozen six and seven year olds on a sunny summer day. They doled out orange drink and ginger snaps to slake the appetites of all us kids. They kept a close watch on the paste we used on sheets of construction paper cut by round tipped scissors lest Robin Adams and Mark Sayre start eating it (I never understood kids eating paste, but there you go!)

Mrs. Wright had been to the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing, Queens earlier in the summer. She brought back some of the swag and souvenirs she bought there including a big picture book highlighting some of the cool things on display there. That was enough for me! I poured over that book, careful not to get it too sticky and dirty. It held my attention right up to the point it began to rain for forty days and forty nights.

Me too Lumpy. She and WelfareQueen drop by every now and then which makes us happy. :)

Good night darlinks. No change in the vigil list.

They sure seem like the perfect match to me, they're both on my list of epic blessings I'm fortunate to know..

Also .. I'm kinda nosy, I want updates dang it and at least one saucy yet pleasingly comic insult, they're both masters at it after all...:)

34907052_2166276443415038_6916834424055136256_n.jpg

It's amazing how much one can unpack over a years time.........

No kidding. We had a large home in Kansas, but had a massive garage sale when we left and pared down so that we could comfortably fit into a small apartment. Then we bought the house out on the mountain--1100 sq ft plus a 10 x 12 storage building plus double garage and filled that up. Then we moved into town into our bigger place and filled that up. We've been paring down again these last several months but it is slow going and seems like we haven't made much of a dent in it.

Bloody smart meter is robbing me. I had a new electric smart meter installed yesterday and it ran up an excessive bill during the night. It used twice as much money overnight when the only thing that was on was the fridge, than it used all day yesterday, when I was boiling water and using a television and computer.

I think there is something wrong with it, and I will have to keep an eye on it tonight to see what's going on.

I just failed an assignment in my statistics class because I missed a bit of instruction. In the first question we are to calculate death rates given numbers for discharges and deaths. However, at the end of the question it says that deaths are NOT included in discharge numbers. Unfortunately, in every other question deaths ARE included in discharge numbers. For whatever reason, I treated all of the questions as if deaths were included in discharge numbers, despite going over it all twice. There were only 8 questions, and the first question was worth 40 points, so I ended up with an F.

I was of course upset with myself for having done that, so I grabbed my Kindle and went outside with the dogs, figuring my book would take my mind off of the assignment. In a bit of irony, I checked the mail, and there was a large manila envelope for me from school. Inside are 3 certificates, for having a high GPA, being on the Dean's list, and being a Highest Ranking student. :p

With missing tests and screwing up assignments like I just did, I don't know if I'll be getting any of those certificates again. :lol:

I just failed an assignment in my statistics class because I missed a bit of instruction. In the first question we are to calculate death rates given numbers for discharges and deaths. However, at the end of the question it says that deaths are NOT included in discharge numbers. Unfortunately, in every other question deaths ARE included in discharge numbers. For whatever reason, I treated all of the questions as if deaths were included in discharge numbers, despite going over it all twice. There were only 8 questions, and the first question was worth 40 points, so I ended up with an F.

I was of course upset with myself for having done that, so I grabbed my Kindle and went outside with the dogs, figuring my book would take my mind off of the assignment. In a bit of irony, I checked the mail, and there was a large manila envelope for me from school. Inside are 3 certificates, for having a high GPA, being on the Dean's list, and being a Highest Ranking student. :p

With missing tests and screwing up assignments like I just did, I don't know if I'll be getting any of those certificates again. :lol:

You are usually too hard on yourself and don't expect to do as well as you do. Can you retake the test or do extra credit or something to fix the one bad grade?

You are usually too hard on yourself and don't expect to do as well as you do. Can you retake the test or do extra credit or something to fix the one bad grade?

I don't know if there is extra credit, and I'm pretty sure I can't redo the assignment. I've gotten A's on everything else in the class, it's not difficult at all. I just basically missed the 'not' in the final line of instructions on that first problem. I expect I'll still get an A in the statistics class. Coding, on the other hand, I'll probably end up with a B again.

Forum List

Back