USMB Coffee Shop IV

Terrible day around here. On Monday my favorite cousin died of cancer and this morning I received news that another one of my cousins committed suicide. I now only have 3 cousins left on my fatherā€™s side of the family and only 2 on my motherā€™s side. Sad day.
Daaaang, pard... that ain't good.

My younger sister found out yesterday that her little buddy, eleven year old cat, has a big tumor growing in his throat. Causes all kinds of problems and the poor little guy gets sniffles and has tiny bits of blood come out his nose. She has to decide whether or not to have them try and take it out or just let him go. They're not sure attempting to remove it would be successful. He might not survive the operation, and it might just grow back. Such a good little critter too... he's family.

Terrible day around here. On Monday my favorite cousin died of cancer and this morning I received news that another one of my cousins committed suicide. I now only have 3 cousins left on my fatherā€™s side of the family and only 2 on my motherā€™s side. Sad day.

My younger sister found out yesterday that her little buddy, eleven year old cat, has a big tumor growing in his throat. Causes all kinds of problems and the poor little guy gets sniffles and has tiny bits of blood come out his nose. She has to decide whether or not to have them try and take it out or just let him go. They're not sure attempting to remove it would be successful. He might not survive the operation, and it might just grow back. Such a good little critter too... he's family.

Aww prayers for him. If she can afford it I hope she gets him the surgery.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

She can afford it, and even if she couldn't I'd chip in, but ya know... have him possibly die in surgery... or have him go through that trauma only to have the dang thing grow back, or just let him live as long as however he has left... what HORRIBLE decisions to have to make about a little critter you love.

She can afford it, and even if she couldn't I'd chip in, but ya know... have him possibly die in surgery... or have him go through that trauma only to have the dang thing grow back, or just let him live as long as however he has left... what HORRIBLE decisions to have to make about a little critter you love.

Keep us updated, what's the cat's name, will keep him in my prayers. Poor little dear.

• Thanks

Keep us updated, what's the cat's name, will keep him in my prayers. Poor little dear.
Since my sister doesn't have any kids, she did a little play on words and calls him "Sun."

Since my sister doesn't have any kids, she did a little play on words and calls him "Sun."

I love it. I have a cat and two dogs and they are like family to me. I certainly will think good thoughts for Sun.

• Thanks

I love it. I have a cat and two dogs and they are like family to me. I certainly will think good thoughts for Sun.
I haven't had a dog since I was just a kid. I have had a few cats, and the ones I couldn't keep because of extenuating circumstances broke my heart. I don't think anyone should ever get RID of a pet once they have them. So the last two cats I've had, my Buttons, he was almost 20 when I had him put to sleep. It's hard to even think about but he had lost control of his bowels and was crapping while he walked and laying in his pee in his bed. He was really in bad shape and I couldn't stand to see him like that anymore. I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it did when the vet came and put him to sleep... but it did. Then three weeks later this little black and whit kitty is meowing from the weeds late one night while my son, DIL and I were roasting a couple hotdogs over a campfire. She was so hungry it overcame her fear. She's now my little partner even though I said I'd never have another cat. Didn't want that heart break. But the kicker is, my Buttons had a little spot on the left side of his nose, and the campfire cat does too.

Coincidence?

I haven't had a dog since I was just a kid. I have had a few cats, and the ones I couldn't keep because of extenuating circumstances broke my heart. I don't think anyone should ever get RID of a pet once they have them. So the last two cats I've had, my Buttons, he was almost 20 when I had him put to sleep. It's hard to even think about but he had lost control of his bowels and was crapping while he walked and laying in his pee in his bed. He was really in bad shape and I couldn't stand to see him like that anymore. I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it did when the vet came and put him to sleep... but it did. Then three weeks later this little black and whit kitty is meowing from the weeds late one night while my son, DIL and I were roasting a couple hotdogs over a campfire. She was so hungry it overcame her fear. She's now my little partner even though I said I'd never have another cat. Didn't want that heart break. But the kicker is, my Buttons had a little spot on the left side of his nose, and the campfire cat does too.

Coincidence?

Buttons came back :)

• Thanks

My favorite cat had to have his left front leg removed due to cancer. He was fourteen at the time and lived three years after that. The vet said my cat gave him the confidence to suggest surgery for older cats because he lived so long.

• Thanks

Coincidence?
Since my wife and I've been together we've had 6 cats. She had Mugsy and Baby when we met. Not long after Little Boy adopted us. Mugsy died from thyroid cancer at age 13, then we found Jasper. In between we picked up Boo. Baby died at age 18 from congestive heart failure then Little boy died of old age at 20 then quite a few years later Gizmo adopted us. Just a couple of years ago Boo picked up feline leukemia that went full blown blood cancer and we had to put him down, he was 11. Now it just Jasper and Giz, Jasper's 17 and Giz is 6. According to the vet Giz has both feline leukemia and FIV (feline HIV) so we'll be lucky to have him past age 10.
We love all of our cats past and present, it hurt when they passed but we feel blessed to have had each and every one in our lives for the short period of time they were on this earth.

Coincidence?
Since my wife and I've been together we've had 6 cats. She had Mugsy and Baby when we met. Not long after Little Boy adopted us. Mugsy died from thyroid cancer at age 13, then we found Jasper. In between we picked up Boo. Baby died at age 18 from congestive heart failure then Little boy died of old age at 20 then quite a few years later Gizmo adopted us. Just a couple of years ago Boo picked up feline leukemia that went full blown blood cancer and we had to put him down, he was 11. Now it just Jasper and Giz, Jasper's 17 and Giz is 6. According to the vet Giz has both feline leukemia and FIV (feline HIV) so we'll be lucky to have him past age 10.
We love all of our cats past and present, it hurt when they passed but we feel blessed to have had each and every one in our lives for the short period of time they were on this earth.

That's the way I see it. I can't understand not having something that gives us so much pleasure and affection while they are with us because we can't bear to think of losing them which is pretty much inevitable. Hombre and I don't have a pet because we honestly can't afford the vet bills these days, but we have lots of opportunity to take in the critters of friends and family and enjoy them for awhile and THEY pay all the expenses. It's a great deal if you can get it. :)

Coincidence?

Glad to hear Bootsey is still with you and I tend to agree with Drifter. She just might be a reincarnation of sorts of Buttons. She did show up just at the time you seemed to need her. So who knows?

Cats. I've had so many. I've had several who were special to me, though. Hermes died of feline leukemia long ago but he was special because he was my daughter's companion from her birth and through the breakup of my marriage. Where ever my daughter went, that cat went with her. He started having seizures and became incontinent. It was better for him to "go to sleep". A tough lesson for a five-year-old child, though.
Most recently, I lost my Sugarfoot. She lived to about 21 years but passed on just weeks after her long-time companion, a dachshund, passed away. After Uschi died, Shug just quit eating and drinking. Our pets don't just form attachments to us, but to each other, as well.

Elsewhere I was reading an article about the weird ways that technology tries to translate language into visual images. And it is especially interesting (and strange) when we ask artificial intelligence to illustrate really simple things.

I got a kick out of the AI robot that was asked to produce a recipe for baking a cake. :)

(click on the image to make it bigger and easier to read.)

chocolate-butterbroth-black-pudding.jpg

Hey, you guys have had me for 8 1/2years.

I got another part put in my car for the A/C, the little aluminum extension hose...it looks as if the big line/hose I bought is the problem. The same connection to that big double line leaked.

Now I need to buy a higher-quality version of that line and have it put in. That will cost me at least another $100. If, after that, it still doesn't work, I may take it back to a mechanic to see if fixing it will be cheaper with the new parts that have been put in. :dunno:

I'm definitely thinking that a new car may be in my future in the next year or so. :(

News on the job front. The wife has finally decided to "relax into chaos" and not let the idiots get to her. The wife's a planner, organizer and thrives on order, the job (because of multiple reasons) is to differing degrees the antithesis of all of these which is why she was ready to bolt if the opportunity presented itself.
Part of the problem is management, technically she has two bosses, one one the education side and the other (also a new employee) on the counseling side. The one on the education side tries to do everything himself so things that should have been done weeks ago are suddenly top priority and has to be done yesterday. The counseling boss is still trying to make the position her own but really has no idea of the job "sub-culture", the personalities and politics........ They're also short staffed. She found out a month in that there was a pool betting on how long she would last before she quit........ Apparently the job can be that chaotic.
So for now she's overcoming her natural desire for structured order and moving forward.

Last edited:
I got another part put in my car for the A/C, the little aluminum extension hose...it looks as if the big line/hose I bought is the problem. The same connection to that big double line leaked.

Now I need to buy a higher-quality version of that line and have it put in. That will cost me at least another $100. If, after that, it still doesn't work, I may take it back to a mechanic to see if fixing it will be cheaper with the new parts that have been put in. :dunno:

I'm definitely thinking that a new car may be in my future in the next year or so. :(
I typically look for "new used cars", used but only a couple of years old that way you're pretty sure you're not buying someone elses problem. Used because some vehicles will loose up to half their value the moment you drive it off the lot.

I typically look for "new used cars", used but only a couple of years old that way you're pretty sure you're not buying someone elses problem. Used because some vehicles will loose up to half their value the moment you drive it off the lot.

Money was a big issue for me in buying the car. I have had little to no income over the last 9+ years. :)

Forum List

Back