USMB Coffee Shop IV

Daisy the Mutt's apprehension about Thompson Park continues. Our daily walks there have not happened in two weeks now. I pull into the park, park the car in the same spot. Open the door and get our. But Daisy plants herself on the passenger seat and flat out refuses to get out of the car. I pick her up, set her in the ground and begin to walk our usual route. But she sits beside the right rear tire and is content to watch me walk away. If I put her on the leash, she gets even more obstinate. I don't want to pull her head off, so I reverse course, put her back in the car and drive to Riverview Cemetery.

There, as I put the car in park, she lays across my lap pressing her nose to the door even before I take off my seatbelt! When the car door opens, she bolts out ready to run and chase the damn squirrels back up into the trees.

I have no idea why she won't walk in the park anymore. She never tipped or showed any distress there. She just isn't a park Mutt anymore.

I got another part put in my car for the A/C, the little aluminum extension hose...it looks as if the big line/hose I bought is the problem. The same connection to that big double line leaked.

Now I need to buy a higher-quality version of that line and have it put in. That will cost me at least another $100. If, after that, it still doesn't work, I may take it back to a mechanic to see if fixing it will be cheaper with the new parts that have been put in. :dunno:

I'm definitely thinking that a new car may be in my future in the next year or so. :(
I typically look for "new used cars", used but only a couple of years old that way you're pretty sure you're not buying someone elses problem. Used because some vehicles will loose up to half their value the moment you drive it off the lot.

Money was a big issue for me in buying the car. I have had little to no income over the last 9+ years. :)
I know how that goes all too well.......

Daisy the Mutt's apprehension about Thompson Park continues. Our daily walks there have not happened in two weeks now. I pull into the park, park the car in the same spot. Open the door and get our. But Daisy plants herself on the passenger seat and flat out refuses to get out of the car. I pick her up, set her in the ground and begin to walk our usual route. But she sits beside the right rear tire and is content to watch me walk away. If I put her on the leash, she gets even more obstinate. I don't want to pull her head off, so I reverse course, put her back in the car and drive to Riverview Cemetery.

There, as I put the car in park, she lays across my lap pressing her nose to the door even before I take off my seatbelt! When the car door opens, she bolts out ready to run and chase the damn squirrels back up into the trees.

I have no idea why she won't walk in the park anymore. She never tipped or showed any distress there. She just isn't a park Mutt anymore.
New playground.

New playground.
Maybe. I even tried to go into the park by a different entrance. She wasn't familiar with that way. She got out of the car, but it took her only five minutes or so before she realized where she was.

I had taken her up to the high school a few times. But when the kids came back for football and band practice, she gave me the same reaction she does at the park. And that's funny because she always loved the kids! Take a miniature poodle to a place where a heartbreak (my own coined collective noun for a group of three or more high school girls) of high school girls are and they will gather around it the way flies gather around watermelon rinds.

News on the job front. The wife has finally decided to "relax into chaos" and not let the idiots get to her. The wife's a planner, organizer and thrives on order, the job (because of multiple reasons) is to differing degrees the antithesis of all of these which is why she was ready to bolt if the opportunity presented itself.
Part of the problem is management, technically she has two bosses, one one the education side and the other (also a new employee) on the counseling side. The one on the education side tries to do everything himself so things that should have been done weeks ago are suddenly top priority and has to be done yesterday. The counseling boss is still trying to make the position her own but really has no idea of the job "sub-culture", the personalities and politics........ They're also short staffed. She found out a month in that there was a pool betting on how long she would last before she quit........ Apparently the job can be that chaotic.
So for now she's overcoming her natural desire for structured order and moving forward.

Nobody knows more than me how miserable one or two 'problems' can make it for a person on the job. But it can be worth it to tough it out. Just do our job and look for personal satisfaction in a hobby or something. Wishing Mrs. R the best. I think I really do know what she is going through. And government jobs can be the absolute worst in that department.

Tonight and tomorrow Coffee Shoppers, lets put some extra prayer time or send a lot of positive vibes to Harper, her family, and the medical team who will be doing the surgery tomorrow. This little girl needs every chance to live a normal happy life, and this surgery is an important step toward achieving that.

Harper
upload_2018-8-16_13-18-38-png.210815

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter - next surgery scheduled August 21
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.
Hope-Victor-Hugo.jpg

Good morning all. Re Harper and the special request in last night's vigil list, the graft that will correct the hole in Harper's palate will need to 'take' or become permanent in order for the surgery to be a success, so we need to stay with all those prayers and positivity for the next couple of weeks to ensure that happens.

She can afford it, and even if she couldn't I'd chip in, but ya know... have him possibly die in surgery... or have him go through that trauma only to have the dang thing grow back, or just let him live as long as however he has left... what HORRIBLE decisions to have to make about a little critter you love.

Keep us updated, what's the cat's name, will keep him in my prayers. Poor little dear.
Since my sister doesn't have any kids, she did a little play on words and calls him "Sun."

I love it. I have a cat and two dogs and they are like family to me. I certainly will think good thoughts for Sun.
I haven't had a dog since I was just a kid. I have had a few cats, and the ones I couldn't keep because of extenuating circumstances broke my heart. I don't think anyone should ever get RID of a pet once they have them. So the last two cats I've had, my Buttons, he was almost 20 when I had him put to sleep. It's hard to even think about but he had lost control of his bowels and was crapping while he walked and laying in his pee in his bed. He was really in bad shape and I couldn't stand to see him like that anymore. I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it did when the vet came and put him to sleep... but it did. Then three weeks later this little black and whit kitty is meowing from the weeds late one night while my son, DIL and I were roasting a couple hotdogs over a campfire. She was so hungry it overcame her fear. She's now my little partner even though I said I'd never have another cat. Didn't want that heart break. But the kicker is, my Buttons had a little spot on the left side of his nose, and the campfire cat does too.

Coincidence?

Glad to hear Bootsey is still with you and I tend to agree with Drifter. She just might be a reincarnation of sorts of Buttons. She did show up just at the time you seemed to need her. So who knows?
Yeah... I like to think she's either a reincarnation or sent by some divine force that figured I needed another furry critter to keep me company, so threw that spot on the nose right where my other cat had one just as a tip that her showing up was a little more than simple coincidence. She's only 6 now so I hope she's around for a long time yet.

My neighbors cat was 23 when she passed. Was a really sweet little critter but she was full deaf. Pretty alert and up and around for as old as she was though, but, age caught up with her. She passed quietly at her own home though, and my buddy buried her there on his property. He texted me afterwards and said, "that was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be." Yeah, I knew all too well exactly what he meant. You have a little shadow for over 20 years that you've loved and cared for and all of a sudden they're gone, that's going to hit you right in the heart, whether you're expecting it to or not.

Last edited:
I got another part put in my car for the A/C, the little aluminum extension hose...it looks as if the big line/hose I bought is the problem. The same connection to that big double line leaked.

Now I need to buy a higher-quality version of that line and have it put in. That will cost me at least another $100. If, after that, it still doesn't work, I may take it back to a mechanic to see if fixing it will be cheaper with the new parts that have been put in. :dunno:

I'm definitely thinking that a new car may be in my future in the next year or so. :(
I typically look for "new used cars", used but only a couple of years old that way you're pretty sure you're not buying someone elses problem. Used because some vehicles will loose up to half their value the moment you drive it off the lot.

I like to have a little bit of factory warranty left, to cover any big problems.

In for surgery around 8am, out about noon and into her room near 2pm.

The doctor is top notch:

Steven R. Buchman is a Tenured Professor of Surgery in the Section of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and holds a joint appointment as a Professor of Neurosurgery at the University of Michigan Medical School. He is the Director of the Craniofacial Anomalies Program at the University of Michigan Medical Center and the Chief of Pediatric Plastic Surgery at the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.

Harper was painting in the playroom around 4pm. Somewhat cranky and frustrated, wants to go home and have chocolate milk. That is probably a day off or so.

I like to have a little bit of factory warranty left, to cover any big problems.

The surgery went well today Save?

Tonight and tomorrow Coffee Shoppers, lets put some extra prayer time or send a lot of positive vibes to Harper, her family, and the medical team who will be doing the surgery tomorrow. This little girl needs every chance to live a normal happy life, and this surgery is an important step toward achieving that.

Harper
upload_2018-8-16_13-18-38-png.210815

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter - next surgery scheduled August 21
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.
Hope-Victor-Hugo.jpg
Absolutely! Best wishes, vibes, and thoughts coming Harper's way.

Hey Gallantwarrior,
I saw this cute video just now and wondered if any of your goats argues with you like this. :)

Grumpy goat argues with human
Thanks, Peach! What's really funny to me is, those videos with goats acting like that, they act like that because they are in rut. That was a younger goat so he probably wasn't as stinky as an older goat would be.
How are you and Mr. Peach doing?

The doctor is top notch:

Steven R. Buchman is a Tenured Professor of Surgery in the Section of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and holds a joint appointment as a Professor of Neurosurgery at the University of Michigan Medical School. He is the Director of the Craniofacial Anomalies Program at the University of Michigan Medical Center and the Chief of Pediatric Plastic Surgery at the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.

Harper was painting in the playroom around 4pm. Somewhat cranky and frustrated, wants to go home and have chocolate milk. That is probably a day off or so.
Thank you for updates. I'm hoping this will be successful for Harper.

The surgery went well today Save?

Posted this before I saw Save's report. So far so good. Now we wait and pray and/or send positive vibes that the healing process goes as it should.

Was thinking about ChrisL and her beloved bunny this morning as she hasn't been here for quite awhile now. And I was thinking her birthday was the 27th but just looked and it was on the 17th. :(

So Chris, hoping you check in now and then, a belated

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY CHRISL!

4e3a4fd5e6e0307d15ecda6f6d5edc15.jpg

The doctor is top notch:

Thank you for updates. I'm hoping this will be successful for Harper.

Hey Gallantwarrior,
I saw this cute video just now and wondered if any of your goats argues with you like this. :)

Thanks, Peach! What's really funny to me is, those videos with goats acting like that, they act like that because they are in rut. That was a younger goat so he probably wasn't as stinky as an older goat would be.
Hey Gallantwarrior,

Thank you for asking. :)

We are both doing fairly well.
I've been very busy with a lot of different things all summer.
I'm getting a new couch delivered at the end of this month.
Then I ordered a specialty birthday cake from a bakery.
I usually get them at the regular old groceries bakery.
I got Mr. P a sugar free ice cream cake once from Baskin Robbins. He loved it.
This will be my 1st and only bakery cake. I just wanted to try one.
I'm turning 66 and my birthday is on Sept. 6.
The terrible 3 's. :FIREdevil: :lmao:

Yes I am going to try hard not to miss YOUR birthday, Peach. :)

Still pulling for Harper here. The next couple of days are probably the most critical.

Getting ready to take some cookies to my older sister who is in an assisted living facility near here and then to Corrales for our weekly 42 game. Great soaking rain last night and awoke to bright blue skies this morning that are missing the smoke from the California fires for the first time in days.

Life is good.

Forum List

Back