USMB Coffee Shop IV

My shoe saga.....

A few weeks ago I ordered a pair of Skechers loafers, selected XW (extra-wide)........ A pair of wide fit shows up. It's via Amazon so I send them back asking for the XW...... A week later the shoes show up..... yup, wide not XW. Either someone doesn't know the difference or the shoes, despite being advertised in XW don't come in XW in that style. Finally send them back and order a different style that arrives today, the hard print on the box says they're extra-wide but the sticker only says wide....... Try em on and that are indeed XW. Finally......

The shoes I wanted.

mens-modern-comfort-skechers-diameter-brown.jpg

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

These are almost exactly the ones I'm replacing, the ones that are completely broken in, ratty, worn soles and comfortable..... :lol:

Having a 4E width can suck sometimes.

When I was around 12 or 13 I think, my mom took me shoe shopping. I found a pair I liked and they fit except at the heal. It was too big and my foot would slip out when I walked. I had to get them with a double A heal. I had never had that problem before that or since so it had to be the style of the shoe.....which of course I was just getting to the age that it mattered and just had to have that pair :laugh:
It's always been tough fitting my XXWide feet especially when I was reenacting, had to have many of my period shoes custom made, very expensive. Also way back when finding any shoe maker that made even an E width was almost impossible so it was breaking in the shoes (killing my feet) and having the shoes wear out within 4 months max.

I just realized that raisins are grape jerky and prunes are plum jerky. Who knew?

Back in elementary school they used to serve stewed prunes in the school lunch and I think I was probably the only kid that went back for seconds. I've always loved prunes. I even have my own tree now..

My shoe saga.....

A few weeks ago I ordered a pair of Skechers loafers, selected XW (extra-wide)........ A pair of wide fit shows up. It's via Amazon so I send them back asking for the XW...... A week later the shoes show up..... yup, wide not XW. Either someone doesn't know the difference or the shoes, despite being advertised in XW don't come in XW in that style. Finally send them back and order a different style that arrives today, the hard print on the box says they're extra-wide but the sticker only says wide....... Try em on and that are indeed XW. Finally......

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

These are almost exactly the ones I'm replacing, the ones that are completely broken in, ratty, worn soles and comfortable..... :lol:

When I was around 12 or 13 I think, my mom took me shoe shopping. I found a pair I liked and they fit except at the heal. It was too big and my foot would slip out when I walked. I had to get them with a double A heal. I had never had that problem before that or since so it had to be the style of the shoe.....which of course I was just getting to the age that it mattered and just had to have that pair :laugh:
It's always been tough fitting my XXWide feet especially when I was reenacting, had to have many of my period shoes custom made, very expensive. Also way back when finding any shoe maker that made even an E width was almost impossible so it was breaking in the shoes (killing my feet) and having the shoes wear out within 4 months max.

I have wide feet as well. Just very narrow heels.

I just realized that raisins are grape jerky and prunes are plum jerky. Who knew?

Back in elementary school they used to serve stewed prunes in the school lunch and I think I was probably the only kid that went back for seconds. I've always loved prunes. I even have my own tree now..
You probably like lima beans also...... I knew right off your were strange...... :D

You probably like lima beans also...... I knew right off your were strange...... :D

I may be strange, but that's where I draw the line, at lima beans..:04:

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

I have wide feet as well. Just very narrow heels.
The problem with the first pair wasn't just the size, the "cleat" style sole felt like I was walking on rocks (not enough cushion, the heel was low making it feel like I was walking on my heels and the opening was tight and not padded. They may look cool but damn, I'm waaaaaay past suffering for style. :lol:

I like strange, makes me feel at home. :D

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

I've figured out they don't make shoes in my size so I mostly just make do. But a good shoe can make all the difference I have three collapsed vertebrae in my back that can really give me fits. But if I wear the right shoe, the arch support and other support it gives me affects my posture and movement and makes all the difference in the pain level. And for what it is worth, aesthetically I like the shoe you finally got more than the shoe you wanted. :)

In my opinion everybody should draw the line at lima beans. And their sister butter beans. I hated them as a kid and I still do. I was told as a child I had to eat them and could not leave the table until I did. I hid a lot of them under the dining room rug. :)

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

I've figured out they don't make shoes in my size so I mostly just make do. But a good shoe can make all the difference I have three collapsed vertebrae in my back that can really give me fits. But if I wear the right shoe, the arch support and other support it gives me affects my posture and movement and makes all the difference in the pain level. And for what it is worth, aesthetically I like the shoe you finally got more than the shoe you wanted. :)
But the other shoe is sooooooo cool looking........ :lol:

In my opinion everybody should draw the line at lima beans. And their sister butter beans. I hated them as a kid and I still do. I was told as a child I had to eat them and could not leave the table until I did. I hid a lot of them under the dining room rug. :)
Shucks, I like both but cannot currently endulge because I am seriously pursuing a low carb diet. Losing weight is now imperative for me. High blood pressure and a severely arthritic hip require that I limit culinary indulgences. I received a cortisone injection into my hip yesterday and am guardedly optimistic that it's working. So far the pain is faint to the point of almost non-existent. I start physical therapy this morning to help strengthen the surrounding support structures.

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

Have you talked to your doctor about writing a prescription to purchase orthopedic shoes? My wife and I did about 25 years ago and lower back pain went away. The doctor can direct you to an orthopedic shoe store where you pick out any style shoe and then you step in a box that looks like Etch-A-Sketch and stand in it to make a mold. Then they make a pair of insoles from the mold and put it into the shoe you picked . The results are amazing. Medicare will pay all or part of the cost for the insoles. If you try to go back to regular shoes you will notice the difference immediately.

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

Have you talked to your doctor about writing a prescription to purchase orthopedic shoes? My wife and I did about 25 years ago and lower back pain went away. The doctor can direct you to an orthopedic shoe store where you pick out any style shoe and then you step in a box that looks like Etch-A-Sketch and stand in it to make a mold. Then they make a pair of insoles from the mold and put it into the shoe you picked . The results are amazing. Medicare will pay all or part of the cost for the insoles. If you try to go back to regular shoes you will notice the difference immediately.

Thanks for the tip and if it comes to it, I'll consider that. But for now I do very well with a good walking or running shoe or any other with proper arch support that gives me good posture. As opposed to my beloved soft sole Minnetonka moccasins that I prefer to wear around the house. :) If I'm up doing housework or cooking or something else that has me on my feet for some time, my back will be killing me if I'm wearing those moccasins. Switch to good shoes and I am much better. A daily hemp oil capsule (little or no thc) and an occasional ibuprophen or naproxen keeps me up and running very nicely.

I do recommend the hemp oil. When I remember to take it I need very little pain med if any at all.

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

But the other shoe is sooooooo cool looking........ :lol:

Matter of taste i guess. :)

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

Thanks for the tip and if it comes to it, I'll consider that. But for now I do very well with a good walking or running shoe or any other with proper arch support that gives me good posture. As opposed to my beloved soft sole Minnetonka moccasins that I prefer to wear around the house. :) If I'm up doing housework or cooking or something else that has me on my feet for some time, my back will be killing me if I'm wearing those moccasins. Switch to good shoes and I am much better. A daily hemp oil capsule (little or no thc) and an occasional ibuprophen or naproxen keeps me up and running very nicely.

I do recommend the hemp oil. When I remember to take it I need very little pain med if any at all.

Those orthopedic insoles can be placed in your moccasins or any other shoe and do the same job. It's not the shoe but the insole. I wear them in every type shoe.

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

Those orthopedic insoles can be placed in your moccasins or any other shoe and do the same job. It's not the shoe but the insole. I wear them in every type shoe.

I'll look into it. Thanks. But you have to understand that I don't want to say I'm lazy but I do belong to the not making things harder than they have to be and keep it simple camp. But I suppose moving insoles from shoe to shoe wouldn't be a terrible imposition on my lifestyle. :)

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

I'll look into it. Thanks. But you have to understand that I don't want to say I'm lazy but I do belong to the not making things harder than they have to be and keep it simple camp. But I suppose moving insoles from shoe to shoe wouldn't be a terrible imposition on my lifestyle. :)
i-am-the-president-of-the-procrastinators-club-welcome-to-last-years-meeting-e9ec0.png

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

Just came on here, and saw this.....coincidence.

I bought some hemp oil today from the health shop. I shall take it daily off a spoon.

My shoe saga.....

The shoes I wanted.

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

Just came on here, and saw this.....coincidence.

I bought some hemp oil today from the health shop. I shall take it daily off a spoon.

Just make sure it isn't the potent stuff with a lot of thc. I order capsules on line (through Amazon) and they contain little or no thc--certainly too small an amount to affect a drug test--but it does seem to significantly reduce the pain level without the downsides of the NSAIDS or narcotics. I am of the opinion, however, that whatever works for significant pain relief, assuming the pain is real and not manufactured via addiction--is better than living with pain that significantly reduces quality of life.

Forum List

Back