USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well, we're at a toasty 0F today, supposed to soar to a whopping 3F by this afternoon. After the last two days at
-25F, I'll take it.
Yesterday, I made a stupid mistake. Dr. prescribed Celebrex for my hip pain, instead of ibuprofen. Yesterday morning I was in quite some pain and decided to drop two of those bad boys. Yikes! I really didn't come out of the haze until around midnight. Might cause drowsiness or dizziness? No shit! I usually also take it before I lay down for my nap in the evening.
Tomorrow I get a nice cortisone shot in that hip joint. Dr. says it isn't "if" but "when" I get hip replacement surgery. But, we're going with least invasive treatment first. I've also started a regimen of anti-inflammatory herbals and am cutting out foods that are inflammatory (nightshades, gluten, saturated fats, etc.) A change of diet is also needed to drop my blood pressure (and weight). I'm looking forward to feeling healthier this coming year.

The coffee shop seems a bit quiet. I usually log in every day to see what's going on, but don't have much to say.
Your picture above is an inspiration, Dajjal. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks, I have been looking at hundreds of paintings by students of the Rudolph Steiner style and I have been wondering why I have wasted so many years doing nothing. Maybe seeing what I could have done, being done by others will motivate me.

It is good to get inspiration and positive motivation where you can find it. But whatever time we squandered, misused, wasted or whatever --and I feel safe to say that none of us can say we haven't done some of that, maybe a LOT of that--we all only have today to use. Everybody would like to have some do overs, but dwelling on our past is defeatist. Like Ebenezer Scrooge it is never too late to get it more right. :)

In the 1970's I briefly attended a painting class by a lady named Gladys Mayer, who knew Rudolph Steiner and was a student of his painting style. The above picture is not by her, but is in her style. Probably by one of her students. Unfortunately nobody seems to have put her pictures on the internet. But I remember them as beautiful when I visited her house. Tragically I heard she was knocked down and killed by a motorcycle.
Sorry to hear your painter instructor died. Prayers up! ^

If you are interested in painting, Gladys Mayer wrote a couple of books on colour, and they are for sale on amazon. I have copies which I brought from her in the 1970's and I wish now I had spent more time in her class.

Here is a link about Gladys, with a photo of her standing in front of one of her pictures.

Gladys Mayer | anthropopper
Thanks, Dajjal. I already paint, except my paint is neither from tubes, cans, bottles, nor boxes of powder. My paintbrush is a needle, and my color comes from broadcloth and preprinted calicos with a few batiks thrown in now and then. when the sketch is made, it is a quilt top, and to finish it often takes more time than the sketch. Its frame is a double fold of bias binding, and most of my patrons receive my work through a quilter's charity bees group. If I knew how to take pictures, someone would have to explain how to use a camera over and over until the information finally sunk in, and I could have pictures. My husband of 44 years used to photograph them, but he died two and a half years ago, so now, I just yammer about other people's quilts at my quilt thread that was remanded to the archives in Arts and Crafts where other artists share their stuff. Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way . The only quilts I can show were pictures of old quilts I made, which I found in the archives here. Unfortunately, my old avatar had some pictures saved, but I can't access from there since I have no idea what my password is there. We went through a phase of having to replace passwords with a new assigned one due to security, and I couldn't remember my old mail address password for information nor the new password I used only once after putting my old laptop on "remember password," or something novel like that, and I can't find my old book in which I had recorded passwords to websites I was a member of. lol My husband's dementia case had strange outcomes, because all my other important papers disappeared also as his illness changed his behavior from being a strong man of answers to a childlike person who'd drive until he ran out of gas, and when the sheriff in the area of our parked truck would call me, I'd sometimes have to drive 200 miles to go and get him, buy gas, and drive 2 cars home, usually with my sister's husband's assistance. That's why I had to leave USMB. He needed to be watched constantly, which means I couldn't spend 5 minutes online to say sayonara nor think about anything except where he was at all times. He was too proud to ask for permission to drive his own car, because he knew the answer would be that I would be the driver. People with his form of dementia can seem to be deliberately ornery, but they're not. They forget to remember they are not supposed to drive, and once when he was in a nursing facility for another health issue, a nurse had to tackle him after a chase that lasted half an hour. He was running toward a nearby busy street because he decided to go somewhere, but he didn't remember where he was nor why he was there. They ended their care for him 2 days later. When he got home, I could pretty much contain him, but I tried to be sure he was happy because he still had enough focus to enjoy a movie, so I made sure that every day he had 3 or 4 cds to watch by gleaning them at Goodwill and some antique shops that had cds for sale for under $4 each. Housework and living details suffered for the next few months, and it was always safe to let him walk the dog when he felt up to it, but that came to a halt when he lost his speech the week before he died. He was watching a video, and I thought he just fell asleep as he often did when watching, but he didn't wake up when I asked him how he liked the movie, there was no response. scuse my reliving the worst day of my life. I had to relearn how to live on my own, and it took a couple of years. I'm still learning new stuff about getting by in life every day without wonderful him.

Thanks, Dajjal. I already paint, except my paint is neither from tubes, cans, bottles, nor boxes of powder. My paintbrush is a needle, and my color comes from broadcloth and preprinted calicos with a few batiks thrown in now and then. when the sketch is made, it is a quilt top, and to finish it often takes more time than the sketch. Its frame is a double fold of bias binding, and most of my patrons receive my work through a quilter's charity bees group. If I knew how to take pictures, someone would have to explain how to use a camera over and over until the information finally sunk in, and I could have pictures. My husband of 44 years used to photograph them, but he died two and a half years ago, so now, I just yammer about other people's quilts at my quilt thread that was remanded to the archives in Arts and Crafts where other artists share their stuff. Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way . The only quilts I can show were pictures of old quilts I made, which I found in the archives here. Unfortunately, my old avatar had some pictures saved, but I can't access from there since I have no idea what my password is there. We went through a phase of having to replace passwords with a new assigned one due to security, and I couldn't remember my old mail address password for information nor the new password I used only once after putting my old laptop on "remember password," or something novel like that, and I can't find my old book in which I had recorded passwords to websites I was a member of. lol My husband's dementia case had strange outcomes, because all my other important papers disappeared also as his illness changed his behavior from being a strong man of answers to a childlike person who'd drive until he ran out of gas, and when the sheriff in the area of our parked truck would call me, I'd sometimes have to drive 200 miles to go and get him, buy gas, and drive 2 cars home, usually with my sister's husband's assistance. That's why I had to leave USMB. He needed to be watched constantly, which means I couldn't spend 5 minutes online to say sayonara nor think about anything except where he was at all times. He was too proud to ask for permission to drive his own car, because he knew the answer would be that I would be the driver. People with his form of dementia can seem to be deliberately ornery, but they're not. They forget to remember they are not supposed to drive, and once when he was in a nursing facility for another health issue, a nurse had to tackle him after a chase that lasted half an hour. He was running toward a nearby busy street because he decided to go somewhere, but he didn't remember where he was nor why he was there. They ended their care for him 2 days later. When he got home, I could pretty much contain him, but I tried to be sure he was happy because he still had enough focus to enjoy a movie, so I made sure that every day he had 3 or 4 cds to watch by gleaning them at Goodwill and some antique shops that had cds for sale for under $4 each. Housework and living details suffered for the next few months, and it was always safe to let him walk the dog when he felt up to it, but that came to a halt when he lost his speech the week before he died. He was watching a video, and I thought he just fell asleep as he often did when watching, but he didn't wake up when I asked him how he liked the movie, there was no response. scuse my reliving the worst day of my life. I had to relearn how to live on my own, and it took a couple of years. I'm still learning new stuff about getting by in life every day without wonderful him.

God bless you, you sweet soul.

In the 1970's I briefly attended a painting class by a lady named Gladys Mayer, who knew Rudolph Steiner and was a student of his painting style. The above picture is not by her, but is in her style. Probably by one of her students. Unfortunately nobody seems to have put her pictures on the internet. But I remember them as beautiful when I visited her house. Tragically I heard she was knocked down and killed by a motorcycle.

If you are interested in painting, Gladys Mayer wrote a couple of books on colour, and they are for sale on amazon. I have copies which I brought from her in the 1970's and I wish now I had spent more time in her class.

Here is a link about Gladys, with a photo of her standing in front of one of her pictures.

So far I haven't had to deal with dementia with a loved one first hand, but know and have tried to help others, in the limited way I could do that, who have dealt with it and are dealing with it. It is a terrible, long goodbye that tries all the patience and strength a person can muster. God must have a special place in heaven for the souls who loved somebody enough to go through it.

Anybody know who this is? FYI, the poodle's name is 'Tiger" and the sheepdog's name is "Martha".

49465142_2160622410914811_4685492922580205568_n.jpg

Anybody know who this is? FYI, the poodle's name is 'Tiger" and the sheepdog's name is "Martha".

49465142_2160622410914811_4685492922580205568_n.jpg

It looks like The Beatles to me, but I sense a trick question...

Nope it's the Beatles. In 1958. Tiger is Ringo's dog; Martha is Paul's dog.

1968, not 1958.

You're right. The caption on the photo on Facebook where I saw it said 1958. But I just googled it and it gave me a link that Paul's dog Martha was born in 1966. I should have known better anyway as I am something of a Beatles aficionado in a very amateurish way. But I knew their first performance as the Beatles I think was in Hamburg, Germany in 1960?

Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to be alone, as due to my mental problems I always have been.

I expect you still have your husbands camera, and if so, is it digital, and does it have an instruction manual?
You could probably learn to use it if it has a manual, and if not you might be able to find a manual online.

Or you could buy a digital camera, which comes with a manual, and a usb lead to connect it to your computer.
It is quite easy to up load pictures from your camera to a folder on your computer, and then to the internet.

First of all....I am so very sorry for your loss :smiliehug:

Even though my husband hasn't been officially diagnosed with dementia, much of his behaviors sound very much like your husbands. But my husband's mental capacity is unpredictable as some times he seems to be very aware, understands and remembers.....then other times not so much...and other times somewhere in between 'knowing' and 'lost'. And those times, I'm not sure if he's 'with us' or in his own little world as he can make sensible enough conversation, but it still leaves me wondering if he realizes or not. It's almost like being in a parallel mentality....if that makes any sense.

These last few days he's been something of a handful. Late Saturday/early Sunday we had a big wind storm & lost power. He became agitated even though we got him hooked up to the big oxygen tank and several flashlights....which he kept shining just to have the light, even at 2am. But he wanted us to find the propane lanterns and to hook up the generator. I tried to explain to him that being so late, we didn't really need those things right now and they could wait until morning. Then he kept asking for the keys which we reminded him he couldn't drive. Our son hid all the keys, just to be sure he didn't take off while we slept. Then our son heard something, and found him in the garage. After he got him back in the house, we finally went to bed......at 4am

Then last evening he awoke and got up to use the bathroom, but had done so too suddenly and blacked out and landed with a crash. At first he didn't respond right away when I asked if he was alright. I knew he was still alive because I could hear him breathing. But it did concern me that he remained unconscious for a good minute or two after falling. Once we got him conscious and back into bed, he was fine other than a couple of bumps & scratches.

We had 'THAT' conversation again today.....about what is best for his care, to stay home or go to a facility. For now we agreed for him to stay home, but have a caregiver come in now & then, just so I can get away for some down time.

Even though my husband hasn't been officially diagnosed with dementia, much of his behaviors sound very much like your husbands. But my husband's mental capacity is unpredictable as some times he seems to be very aware, understands and remembers.....then other times not so much...and other times somewhere in between 'knowing' and 'lost'. And those times, I'm not sure if he's 'with us' or in his own little world as he can make sensible enough conversation, but it still leaves me wondering if he realizes or not. It's almost like being in a parallel mentality....if that makes any sense.

These last few days he's been something of a handful. Late Saturday/early Sunday we had a big wind storm & lost power. He became agitated even though we got him hooked up to the big oxygen tank and several flashlights....which he kept shining just to have the light, even at 2am. But he wanted us to find the propane lanterns and to hook up the generator. I tried to explain to him that being so late, we didn't really need those things right now and they could wait until morning. Then he kept asking for the keys which we reminded him he couldn't drive. Our son hid all the keys, just to be sure he didn't take off while we slept. Then our son heard something, and found him in the garage. After he got him back in the house, we finally went to bed......at 4am

Then last evening he awoke and got up to use the bathroom, but had done so too suddenly and blacked out and landed with a crash. At first he didn't respond right away when I asked if he was alright. I knew he was still alive because I could hear him breathing. But it did concern me that he remained unconscious for a good minute or two after falling. Once we got him conscious and back into bed, he was fine other than a couple of bumps & scratches.

We had 'THAT' conversation again today.....about what is best for his care, to stay home or go to a facility. For now we agreed for him to stay home, but have a caregiver come in now & then, just so I can get away for some down time.

Sorry you are going through that too JAN. It wears you down, wears you out, puts more stress on you than any human should have to endure. But you do it because you love the person, who he/she is, even when they don't know themselves any more.

You should get a diagnosis though so you can be eligible for whatever services are available to you.

Everything in its time and season, Beauty! So sorry that you lost your husband to such an insidious and pervasive illness. Hopefully, your life will continue to be full of grace and beauty, despite your loss.

My shoe saga.....

A few weeks ago I ordered a pair of Skechers loafers, selected XW (extra-wide)........ A pair of wide fit shows up. It's via Amazon so I send them back asking for the XW...... A week later the shoes show up..... yup, wide not XW. Either someone doesn't know the difference or the shoes, despite being advertised in XW don't come in XW in that style. Finally send them back and order a different style that arrives today, the hard print on the box says they're extra-wide but the sticker only says wide....... Try em on and that are indeed XW. Finally......

The shoes I wanted.

mens-modern-comfort-skechers-diameter-brown.jpg

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

These are almost exactly the ones I'm replacing, the ones that are completely broken in, ratty, worn soles and comfortable..... :lol:

Having a 4E width can suck sometimes.

Sorry you are going through that too JAN. It wears you down, wears you out, puts more stress on you than any human should have to endure. But you do it because you love the person, who he/she is, even when they don't know themselves any more.

You should get a diagnosis though so you can be eligible for whatever services are available to you.

I have tried to talk with his Dr about it, but they have chalked his behaviors up to the cancer and the drugs he's been on for nearly 3 years and he does know who everyone is and hasn't had a problem with that so much. He does talk up a wild story now & then, or becomes very secretive and/or thinks we are after him or any other bizarre happenings....then other times he's just fine. Mentally of course, definitely not physically. He's 6'1 and not much over 100lbs. But he can still get up & move about the house, feed & toilet himself. Though he does need help bathing & dressing.

You never know just what you're made of, until you have to step up, then it just comes natural......but yeah, it does wear on you after awhile.

My shoe saga.....

A few weeks ago I ordered a pair of Skechers loafers, selected XW (extra-wide)........ A pair of wide fit shows up. It's via Amazon so I send them back asking for the XW...... A week later the shoes show up..... yup, wide not XW. Either someone doesn't know the difference or the shoes, despite being advertised in XW don't come in XW in that style. Finally send them back and order a different style that arrives today, the hard print on the box says they're extra-wide but the sticker only says wide....... Try em on and that are indeed XW. Finally......

The shoes I wanted.

mens-modern-comfort-skechers-diameter-brown.jpg

The ones I settled for.

64589_COG.jpg

These are almost exactly the ones I'm replacing, the ones that are completely broken in, ratty, worn soles and comfortable..... :lol:

Having a 4E width can suck sometimes.

When I was around 12 or 13 I think, my mom took me shoe shopping. I found a pair I liked and they fit except at the heal. It was too big and my foot would slip out when I walked. I had to get them with a double A heal. I had never had that problem before that or since so it had to be the style of the shoe.....which of course I was just getting to the age that it mattered and just had to have that pair :laugh:

Forum List

Back